Author Topic: Need some assistance...  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Acheron187

• Hooves rock!
  • Male
    • MLP Arena
Need some assistance...
« on: May 01, 2013, 03:09:21 pm »
I've been drawing ponies for some time now and am looking to expand, my furry OCs being that next step. Note I do a lot of darker art, blood, gore, and so on. I suck at human forms, but am good when it comes to simple forms. Any advice to give?

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Re: Need some assistance...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:01:07 am »
I would suggest investing in some art books on how to
draw furries. You can find some on Amazon, new or used.
There are several tutorials online as well.

Also I would recommend studying aniimal anatomy as well as
human. There are several kinds of furry drawings. From cartoon
to realistic. Since these creatures are imaginary one can use
a lot of artistic license when drawing them.

Just start drawing and post them here if you wish some helpful
suggestions.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:03:10 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:15:43 pm »
This is the link to an art tutorial crafted several years ago by one of our Admins.  You might find it of interest.

You say you're good at doing basic forms; can you do geometric forms such as spheres, cylinders, cubes, and pyramids?  If so, then one (very commonly used) strategy for drawing organic forms such as furries is to approximate the subject matter as an assembly of basic geometric shapes such as these.  This allows for you to check proportions before you continue to refine the piece, even in advanced poses.  It also gives you a base form to manipulate as you progressively make your assembly of shapes look more like your intended subject matter.  As I said, this is a very commonly used strategy; most art guides (including the one I linked you to earlier) explain how to draw under this paradigm.

It's also worth mentioning that once you feel you're ready to take this step, you'll be able to get more tailored suggestions by drawing something, posting it here in a thread, and asking for critiques and constructive criticism on it.  A tangible example of your work is necessary for specific advice; without it, the only advice that can be given is general advice like that which has already been given.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Ruii

• slightly eccentric
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:14:06 am »
What i often do when drawing something new is get a refrence, if you are drawing, leys say a deer, get a picture of it and study it. I then start with a basic, slightly curved line in pencil, very light, and erasable, then add in stick figure legs and arms, also light. if you want digigrade legs have the legs like sprt of question marks. The head is a circle with a snout or muzzle off of it, horns can be approxamated with lines and drawn in darker and thicker once you like them later. next you slowly build tne body to the correct porportions. [lightly] Once you get good at your anatomy of the peice you can get rid of the stick figure step and use ovals and triangles. now, you can add your own style. what I do here is draw my line art over in pen, if you do this on the computer, use a different layer. This must be done carefully, because, its, well, pen. next I erase the pencil aftwr the ink dries and color to taste. hope I helped. [wow was this difficult to type o  the 3ds]