Author Topic: MLP CCG  (Read 6555 times)

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
MLP CCG
« on: March 17, 2014, 09:20:36 am »
I'm curious, has anyone here played the My Little Pony Collectable Card Game? If so, is it any good?

As a fan of the show and someone that loves board and card games, I am interested. Though I do very much wish it wasn't "collectable".  They should've went for something more like the Living Card Game format that Fantasy Flight Games has been using. (So there are lots of packs of new stuff to add, but without the randomness and artificial rarity of "booster packs".) Still, I would like to know if the game itself is any good.

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
Re: MLP CCG
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:47:42 pm »
Really? Nobodies?

I guess maybe no one here has tried it? Hmm... well, in that case, maybe I should try to get a hold of some and try it out, and if I do, I'll report back here.
(I know there is interest because this thread has gotten a fair number of views.)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:44:50 pm »
It's interesting, but it's the first I have heard of it. I don't get out
much.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:05:01 pm »
I was tempted to purchase the starter kit, but I don't have any local MLP buddies... :'(
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 10:06:20 pm »
Hmm,  I like MLP but card games are kind of outside of my interests typically speaking. D:

Offline Wooden Skull

• WE ARE A JUSTICE SANDWICH -- NO TOPPINGS NECESSARY
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 03:40:52 pm »
I've tried it, but it's one of those card games that's a little too arcane to be easily enjoyed. The goals are a bit nonstandard (which isn't bad) but that means it's much more difficult to understand the game. There are a lot of terms that seem vague, and the whole thing about being based around solving problems instead of easily understood combat definitely muddles the already confusing mechanics.

Don't get me wrong, I love card games. I have a Magic TG deck sitting on my shelf and an old binder of Yugioh cruff collecting dust in my closet, but I like my card games to be a little more straightforward, and the MLP game just isn't that. The resources are much too confounding for my tastes and I don't exactly think the source material is proper for a full on CCG treatment, at least not how it's presented.

Give it a go if you can, but be warned that it's not very intuitive at times, and downright befuddling at worst.
I don't think he's done...

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:21:35 pm »
...and the whole thing about being based around solving problems instead of easily understood combat definitely muddles the already confusing mechanics.
If it were based on combat that would be a big turn off for me. Not because I dislike combat in games, but because that's not at all fitting to the MLP theme. So while I can't comment on the game overall, I can say that I'm glad that didn't take it in the combat direction.

Offline Wooden Skull

• WE ARE A JUSTICE SANDWICH -- NO TOPPINGS NECESSARY
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 04:23:04 pm »
...and the whole thing about being based around solving problems instead of easily understood combat definitely muddles the already confusing mechanics.
If it were based on combat that would be a big turn off for me. Not because I dislike combat in games, but because that's not at all fitting to the MLP theme. So while I can't comment on the game overall, I can say that I'm glad that didn't take it in the combat direction.

I understand, but it's such an ingrained theme in CCG games that it's a bit jarring to not have SOME form of combat, even if it's cartoony non-violence befitting the universe.
I don't think he's done...

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 02:04:13 pm »
As a fan of the dice tower, I found this, and thought some here might find it of interest.
Sam forces Tom to play My Little Pony - live! (for charity)

I'll probably watch it.
Keep in mind that this is a charity event, so it may not be a valid way to tell if the game is fun. For one thing, I'm pretty sure these guys are not especially fans of the show. Still, it might be interesting.