Author Topic: New age versus old  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Shiru_Da_Koon

• Species: Werecoon
  • The wind can't blow without having a scent
  • Male
New age versus old
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:31:45 am »
What do you prefer for your anime? The classic deep dark colors with all the straight lines drawn into a beautiful Gundam fight, maybe the "sparkling" lights of Sailor Moon, quite possible you like to go back to the "childhood" animes like He-Man or Thundercats? What about those who prefer the brilliant colored fights of Ghost in the shell or the colorful adventures of Sword Art Online, what're your preferences and recommendations when it cones to 'Animes' (American, Japanese, Korean...etc)
With my Mother's Love and Wisdom and my Father's Strength and Discipline... This I Will Defend...

Offline Wildhead_the_fox

• Species: Red Fox
  • Your friendly neighborhood Red Fox! :)
  • Male
Re: New age versus old
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:07:43 pm »
I prefer the fast paced sword duels, cool particle/beam effects and good story of Sword Art Online.
Normal people look at things that are and ask, "Why?"
True innovators look at things that aren't and ask, "Why not?"

Offline Turgius

• Species: Anthro Wolf/Dragon thing of questionable sanity...
  • Avatar is Artz by Flinters on FA
    • FA Account
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:40:54 pm »
I'm not very picky, mostly developed my tastes based on whatever Toonami would air back in the day. Personally I'm mostly into story over action, as long as it's not too weird...Iv probably watched the various Gundam series the most however. Me likes big stompy robots :3 I think it's time to watch Blue Submarine No. 6 again....
“Oh I've plenty of time, my time is entirely my own.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Идиот

FCWh3a A C D H M P R T+++ W- Z Sm- RLGP a cn++ d++ e++ f-- h- i++ j p sm-
-Furry Code

Offline Shiru_Da_Koon

• Male
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:54:53 am »
I was also fortunate to enjoy the many shown animes on toonami ranging from the famous Gundam series to a slightly dark/funny Big O, going into the night showings on adult swim of fairly well known demon-fighting anime of Inuyasha.
With my Mother's Love and Wisdom and my Father's Strength and Discipline... This I Will Defend...

Offline Kosill

• Species: Black Dragon mix
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:50:30 am »
I have watched a lot of different animes over the years.  If the story is any good or the action then I will watch it.  One of my favorite animes is Hellsing, the over the top gun fights, go along with the dark story.
"Do not panic, I am a fire marshal!"- Fire Marshal Bill

Ready my knights for battle. They will ride with their king once more. I have lived through others for far too long. Lancelot carried my honor, and Guenevere, my guilt. Mordred bears my sins. My knights have fought my causes. Now, my brother, I shall be... king.-Arthur Pendragon.

Offline Turgius

• Species: Anthro Wolf/Dragon thing of questionable sanity...
  • Avatar is Artz by Flinters on FA
    • FA Account
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 08:29:01 am »
I was also fortunate to enjoy the many shown animes on toonami ranging from the famous Gundam series to a slightly dark/funny Big O, going into the night showings on adult swim of fairly well known demon-fighting anime of Inuyasha.

Big O! I completely forgot about that one. Was never a big fan of Inuyasha, and never got into Naruto. Though When I was in High-school and collage I knew people who would cos-play both literally 'everywhere.' Not something I ever got into, found it kinda weird when they would show up to school everyday dressed like that. Also add DBZ and DragonBall to the list as well, Though now I kinda agree with the detractors, especially with the later series.
“Oh I've plenty of time, my time is entirely my own.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Идиот

FCWh3a A C D H M P R T+++ W- Z Sm- RLGP a cn++ d++ e++ f-- h- i++ j p sm-
-Furry Code

Offline Shiru_Da_Koon

• Male
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 11:53:13 am »
I have watched a lot of different animes over the years.  If the story is any good or the action then I will watch it.  One of my favorite animes is Hellsing, the over the top gun fights, go along with the dark story.

I have to agree with you on Hellsing being an awesome dark background story filled with all your gorey-filled delights in life haha. But here's another thing I don't get. All the older folks can agree that when they hear anime they think of Naruto and dragon ball and then your younger generation consisting of the 12-16 years old with say that those are "old-school"... Am I in the wrong era or something because I'm pretty sure naruto is their generation of anime, unless said youngins are now watching the thrills of SAO and High School of the Dead. Mine was Yu Yu Hakasho and Sailor Moon. Both some the most inspiring action-packed animes I grew up with.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:36:58 pm by Shiru_Da_Koon »

Offline Kosill

• Species: Black Dragon mix
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 12:54:36 pm »
Yeah I don't know about what is considered new.  All I can guess when a new popular comes out it makes older series "Old School" maybe I don't know.  Shiru if you wish for another good anime I recommend Burst Angel if you have not seen it already.
"Do not panic, I am a fire marshal!"- Fire Marshal Bill

Ready my knights for battle. They will ride with their king once more. I have lived through others for far too long. Lancelot carried my honor, and Guenevere, my guilt. Mordred bears my sins. My knights have fought my causes. Now, my brother, I shall be... king.-Arthur Pendragon.

Offline Shiru_Da_Koon

• Male
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 01:38:24 pm »
Friends have mentioned and suggested it to me before deployment I would love to get my hands on a hard drive that would have it haha. But for now ill settle with Sherlock Holmes underworld and wreck it Ralph haha

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 08:41:35 pm »
For me, I would have to say I am "slightly" more into old school anime versus new age stuff like CGI and so forth. 51% compared to 49%. I love old school anime. Watching Space Battleship Yamato (Starblazers), Battle of the Planets, Robotech, and Voltron was what really got me hooked on anime, especially the Robotech/Macross series which I am a huge fan of. ;)
I generally don't mind CGI or any other "flash and glitz" used in anime, but when it overpowers the series and there's no story or character development, etc., then I won't watch the series. It's kinda like when Hollywood makes all these super action/sci-fi films with lots of CGI and Special/Visual effects. Sometimes, I think producers and directors rely too much on the effects to get people to watch the film and make it a blockbuster. If you don't have a good story and good characters, then your film is just another piece of garbage.  :P

Other anime I like and enjoy:
Full Metal Panic
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
Inuyasha
Wolf's Rain
Spirited Away
.......and too many others to list.

Offline Shiru_Da_Koon

• Male
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:08:21 pm »
I have to agree with you on the overuse of CGI nowadays Kobuk. When it was first introduced into the anime movie/TV series, it looked pretty sweet, but now it just seems to be substituting the lack of model-designing artists. (at least in my perspective) however it does help put a movie together for instance AVP(Alien versus Predator) I don't think that movie would've lasted without. But back onto the topic of anime haha. I need to do some research to continue but I still have some more examples I'd like to talk about

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 03:31:03 pm »
It goes both way  for me  even through  from the art perspective I like the newer stuff. 

This not to say  olds school anime ( Speed Racer, Gigantor , Astro Boy,   Capitan Harlock ) have a diamond in the rough charm.