Author Topic: Website design help  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Fuyurin

• Female
Website design help
« on: June 23, 2015, 07:18:20 am »
After much careful consideration and losing an entire wiki's worth of tabletop game setting information on a free service, I decided to purchase my own corner of the internet. The thing is, I haven't designed a website in nearly a decade so my knowledge is archaic and/or nonexistant. Where would be a good online resource to relearn how to put a website together? I'm really sorry if this isn't tech-y enough for this forum. I wasn't sure where else this would be appropriate. I appreciate any help.

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
Re: Website design help
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 12:48:28 pm »
I really recommend W3 Schools. Especially since you already know the basics. While the site is made for those wanting to learn how to code websites, all of the tutorials are broken up into specific things, like a single HTML tag, or a single CSS selector. This makes it super easy to jump over what you know and learn what you don't. Plus They have this cool "Try It" feature where you can play with the code and watch it change instantly. It's a great resource.

http://www.w3schools.com/
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Fuyurin

• Female
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 05:54:04 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 10:44:42 am »
I'm really sorry if this isn't tech-y enough for this forum. I wasn't sure where else this would be appropriate.

It's tech related and technical in nature (as opposed to being geared for a general audience); you're in the right subforum.

I haven't really designed any webpages from the ground up, but after having done some troubleshooting and after-the-fact tinkering with sites (with Stylish), I would highly recommend that you learn at least the basics of using a DOM editor.  DOM editors allow for things such as tree-style viewing of interpreted HTML, (client side) manipulation and injection of HTML, live (client side) modification of CSS, (client side) execution of Javascript functions, and analysis of a page's use of bandwidth while loading.   Most modern browsers (including Firefox and Chrome) now ship with one built in by default.

They're really powerful tools for understanding and tinkering with web pages, and they're especially useful for figuring out what changes you need to make to the pages as they're delivered by the server.  You can, for example, try a variety of CSS style rules on a specific class until the page in your browser appears as you want it to appear, then change the server side CSS to match your newly made rules.

Keep in mind that DOM editor tinkerings are temporary; unless otherwise saved, they'll be wiped on your end with the next page load, and they (again, unless saved on the server side) will not affect the web page as viewed by other browsers at all.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:49:20 am by redyoshi49q »
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!