Author Topic: Owning a big cat may become illegal.  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Owning a big cat may become illegal.
« on: May 17, 2021, 02:01:24 pm »
I've always been against people trying to own "big" pets or "exotic" wildlife. Too many people think that certain animals are "cute" or some other reason and they immediately want one without realizing how difficult or expensive it is to care for the animal.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/17/us/big-cat-public-safety-act/index.html

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
Re: Owning a big cat may become illegal.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 04:33:40 pm »
On the one hand good, but on the other hand I fear this might hurt some folks who have exotic animals not as pets but as education animals. There's a big difference between owning a big cat as just a....well, a big housecat for want of a better term; and having a big cat because the animal can't return to the wild. Like maybe it was bread for the fur industry and was freed and now lives on someone's ranch.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 03:30:23 am »
Kay, zoos and sanctuaries would be exempt. So if you did have a large cat for educational purposes you would be able to keep it. Just not in the house.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 01:45:18 pm »
It is a bummer.
Humans used to live along side big animals like big cats, wolves, and even made pets of some.
I bet there are some people and big cats who get along, and that would come to an end.

But I get it.

I always wanted a wolf, so long as it wanted to live with me that is.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 08:12:53 am »
Had a neighbor and former coworker who kept a number of exotic pets. His lion cub got loose and found it's way into my Dad's garage. The dog was quite excited over the visit. We made a lead for the cub from a macrame belt (high school art class project) and held her out on the lawn. The owner came by later to claim her.

The local outdoors radio show just ran a series on why you shouldn't pick up whitetail fawns. It's fawn-dropping season here btw.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 06:49:24 pm »
Eh big cats can be dangerous even if they don't mean to be. They could knead on you and injure you way worse then a housecat. In Oregon we can't have any exotic pets, witch is sad because I've done research on fennec foxes and now I can't have one. Oh the irony and just my luck. :(