Author Topic: Why so many?  (Read 4565 times)

Offline GingerBear

• your attention is required at all times
  • Female
Why so many?
« on: October 22, 2011, 12:10:31 pm »
So, I feel like a minority in the fandom. As a panda that acts like a fox, I'm one in whats eels to be amillion. I mean there are a BUNCH of foxes, wolves, lions, horses, and dragons. But it takes some work to find a panda, gryphon, red panda, you know- the lesser appreciated animals.
Furries! Y U NO BE MINORITIES?
~be yourself- people will not like you anyway~

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
Re: Why so many?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:16:40 pm »
It's just mainly the fact that most people just randomly think of those. I think. I should be more sure about what I do and say. :D
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »
Moved to the Furries on Furry forum as the topic seems better suited here.

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 02:25:19 pm »

When choosing a fursona, I'd assume most furs want something they can identify with. Others go a step further and choose something they have personal experience with.

Unlike the aye-aye, cats, dogs, and horses are pretty commonplace in people's everyday lives. When you venture into entertainment, all the creatures you listed (foxes, wovles, lions, horses, and dragons) are all over the place. Their presence in our consciousness makes them easy, common choices for fursonas.

Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 07:03:18 pm »
Gryphons don't get enough love in popular culture period.  I once had an awesome folkmanis plush gryphon. That's probably the only piece of gryphon related merchandise I've ever seen. No wonder there aren't more people with Gryphon fursonas.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Coco Bananacat

• The Banana Cat
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »
As Grizztof mentioned, many possible fursonas aren't really considered by folks because animals besides cats and dogs and horses and dragons aren't seen in the mainstream media much. Not all furries have the mind-blowing imagination of your favorite author, so it's easier to just become a variation of the fox in Disney's Robin Hood than to be a hippogryph.

"So long as you have food in your mouth, you have solved all questions for the time being." - Franz Kafka

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 02:25:57 pm »
I know when I picked my coyote fursona (and others I've had like this buizel character) its because it is an animal I like and felt represents my personality somewhat. I think its that way for most people. Not everyone goes far out of their way to try and be different. After all, if everyone had the "Lets be different together!" approach then you'd all be the same.. hmm..

Offline Stigandr

• Male
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 12:01:13 pm »
What Grizztof said makes a lot of sense, for me foxes are something I've seen running around since I can remember. In cartoons, stories. I can Identify with them I feel.
But I am creating a secondary character who's a red panda...can I get a highpaw for red panda?
Icon by Shynjy. Visit his FA for goodies!

Offline Noodlefox

• Female
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:26:17 pm »
I look at it as why do something for the soul purpose of being different? I don't want to be different I want to be happy. Sometimes that means going against the grain, off the beaten path so to speak, but sometimes that means doing what's popular or common place. Foxes make me happy. I have a connection with foxes, for whatever reason. It doesn't matter to me if there are thousands of others who have a fox fursona because in the end it's what I want that matters most.
"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love." ~ Washington Irving

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 02:49:18 am »
I would agree that it's probably easier to identify with something you actually know of/about. Most people probably don't know much about pandas compared to more common animals.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Bane_enaK

• I live and die, proud of my people gaining
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 02:10:20 pm »
Furries! Y U NO BE MINORITIES?

Aww, you jus' mad 'cuz we be stylin' on you!  (:

It might be different for everyone, but I'm a wolf furry because I identify with wolves. I could have a fursona of a different species, but it wouldn't be the same without that connection. I guess people just identify with the same kinds of animals. *shrug*
Mated to Arashi_Calunata

Offline DreamerHusky

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 08:06:39 pm »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:03:59 pm by DreamerHusky »

Offline Kiaby

• Female
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 12:10:15 am »
I purposely looked for rarer breeds when I was trying to find one that fit my animal soul.

I think as long as YOU are unique, your fursona will be too. So even if you have a common breed, the personality under it isn't common. Right? :3
"...And then I said, 'Oatmeal, are you CRAZY-?!'"

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 02:01:47 am »
I can't speak for others but i do seriously feel like wolfdog was probably the best choice for me if not strait up wolf.  It describes my personality a little too well.  I didn't choose it to be the same.  I didn't choose it to be cool.   Why would i choose a species i don't like just for the sake of seeming non-conformist?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 06:24:33 am »
A person doesn't have to be unique/different by picking a unique species as a fursona. Sometimes just changing the fur colors and patterns can make a character unique too. ;)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 02:51:23 pm »
 Foxes come in a variety of sub-species, and are featured regularly in stories, fables, folklore, cartoons, and as icons of various enterprises. They occupy most of the major land masses on the planet. (I'm looking into a fox partial btw.)

We note a growing number of huskies among fursuiters. They tend to get into furcon videos with regularity.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 05:47:25 pm »
We note a growing number of huskies among fursuiters. They tend to get into furcon videos with regularity.

And what's wrong with being a husky?

HUSKY, AND PROUD OF IT!  :D

Yeah, I know I'm a wolf now. But it's only temporary. ;)

Offline dragonfire

• Narhethi The Dragon
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »
My fursona is a dragon because I always liked dragons, I didn't know dragons were common for fursonas. But every furry is different on the inside
Knowledge source for all dragons.