Author Topic: Climate Change: Real or fake?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Takanuva

• Species: Dragon
  • I like Bionicle and Dragons.
  • Male
    • Takanuva-Toa-Of-Light
Re: Climate Change: Real or fake?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 03:09:17 am »
That's not good. I believe that artificial climate change is happening to at least some small degree, but there's been a lot of falsified data. NORAD putting weather stations up near heat islands like cities, highways, or industrial complexes for example. Of course if you record the temperature near something that record heat, you're going to get increased heat as the population increases and the more energy has been given off from cars and factories. We need to handle the source causes instead of lying or exasperating data. Al Gore said that the ice caps would have completely melted by now, and that doesn't stop him from flying around in a private jet, with a carbon footprint 1000 times greater than us. It's only being used as a political boogeyman, in a guise to manipulate uninformed voters into a specific candidate.

There are issues much more integral to the ecosystem we need to deal with. Deforestation, coral bleaching, overfishing, and deposition of waste in the ocean, to name a few. When we can deal with those, then I think that climate change is going to become a major issue.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 01:38:25 pm »
That's not good. I believe that artificial climate change is happening to at least some small degree, but there's been a lot of falsified data. NORAD putting weather stations up near heat islands like cities, highways, or industrial complexes for example. Of course if you record the temperature near something that record heat, you're going to get increased heat as the population increases and the more energy has been given off from cars and factories. We need to handle the source causes instead of lying or exasperating data. Al Gore said that the ice caps would have completely melted by now, and that doesn't stop him from flying around in a private jet, with a carbon footprint 1000 times greater than us. It's only being used as a political boogeyman, in a guise to manipulate uninformed voters into a specific candidate.

There are issues much more integral to the ecosystem we need to deal with. Deforestation, coral bleaching, overfishing, and deposition of waste in the ocean, to name a few. When we can deal with those, then I think that climate change is going to become a major issue.

Cite your source, please for the orange colored text. ;)

Offline Michen_S

• Species: Ghost cat
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 06:29:38 am »
Oh, climate change is real all right. I can notice it over here. We had a really harsh hail storm a few months back, with hail stones as big as tennis balls. Other than that, the only thing else I can mention about last winter was that people in the most northern part of the country could ice-skate on the street for a few days. When I was just a kit, there used to be a lot more snow in the winter months. The last few years the temperature wass under 0C for only just a few days.

As for the climate change being human-made or not, I don't know. A Dutch Christian magazine I read says it's not human-made, but at school I learned that it is. Quite frankly, I don't know who's right. There's a lot about nature we still don't understand.
That said, pollution is a serious problem. The air, the land, the water... A lot of it is polluted by human activities. And then I'm not even talking about humans destroying nature and killing animals. If humanity can find a way to decrease those problems by a lot and treat the Earth with some respect, I think the world would become healthier already. And then we'll also be better able to see how big of a role humanity really got in all of this.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 07:04:23 am »

Cite your source, please for the orange colored text. ;)
https://radar.weather.gov/graphics/ridge_sitemap.gif
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 01:39:42 pm »
Varg:  All I see from that link is a map with a lot of little blue dots and no information to explain it or back it up. Oh.......and I asked Takanuva to cite his source.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 12:20:16 pm »
The Trump administration is trying to remove regulations
for air, water, and general safety for the enviroment. Even
if Obama wasn't the greatest president. He worked to reduce
pollution, and probable causes of global warming.

Many were executive orders as the GOP blocked much of his
proposals.

We are moving to more renewable energy in spite if politicians
paid by big business interests in Oil, gas, and coal, to slow this
progress. When people can cut their energy costs by 90% putting
up solar panels. It's not likely to be stopped. Even with some
power compainies charging a surcharge to to people with
solar panels. Claiming it's to pay for infrastructure.

We need cheap energy to have a strong economy. Perhpas even
to convert sea water to fresh in the future. There is a lot of money
to be made in renewable energy. But it's hard to change the minds
of people who are making billions with oil and gas.

If the price of oil and gas drops very much it will slow renewable
energy investments.  Some of the oil producing countries have
lowered prices for this reason. They know to sell their oil they
need people who are dependant on it. It's our oil dependancy
thats caused us to spend trillions of dollars trying to protect
oil in the middle east. A good reason alone to move away
from oil as a energy resourse.

I am sure many of us remember "Cold Fusion" A college in
Utah released the results of their research on it. I think it was
interesting that scientists around the world claimed there
wasn't anything to it.Why would a college risk their reputation
by making this kind of claim? They had nothing to gain by
promoting a lie.  The big thing the scientists said. There isn't
any evidence of fusion. "Who Cares" as long as it works. But
it has been debunked. I am sure the telephones of big oil and
gas were busy with conference calls around the world working out
a plan to stop this possible danger to their monopoly on portable
energy. I think we can be sure they would do the same to any
discovery that would put their business at risk.

Time will tell, but I have a hunch when the world runs low on
oil and gas there will be a major discovery of a new power
source. I had hoped the internet would expose some of big
businesses lies, but instead we have wierd claims of things
like perpetual motion machines.  Even the patent office
seems to be on the watch for energy discoverys, and to
debunk them. I think solar cells caught big business off
guard since they were so expensive in the beginning.

We need to stop using oil and gas, or anything that burns
to create energy. Not only does it pollute, it adds to
global warming. Of course the use of energy creates heat,
but some forms are more efficient.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 02:52:13 pm »
IIRC the Paris Accord was mostly about redistributing wealth, about three billion dollars of the taxpayers money to countries that don't like the USA. How does that abate climatic conditions? Pulling away from a bad deal doesn't mean we're going to stop recycling and shut down wind farms. Do China and India have the restrictions that are placed on other industrialized nations?
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 11:50:44 am »
I do think many people in our country will continue trying to save
energy. The Paris Accord is a voluntary agreement. So congress
wasn't required to appropriate money for it.

The USA has been a leader in production and innovation since
the end of WWII. We should strive to continue. I worry those in
government wish to return to the past to get votes from those
who are afraid of of change. We need to look to the
future. Renewable energy will be in demand around the world.
It's time we work to make it as cheap to use as possible. Then
sell it to the world.

Not only would that make jobs for americans it would help thos
poor third world countries. Hand outs usually end up in the pockets
of corrupt government officials. Especially in third world countries.

Let's use that money we were going to pay out in the Paris Accord
to help develovp renewable energy here. Then we along with the
rest of the world will benifit from it.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 11:30:13 pm »
There's nothing stopping wealthy business types, like Elon Musk, from providing clean electric power to poor African countries--once these areas become safe from insurgents, revolutionaries, and terrorists. By resigning from the Trump committee, Musk will not be flying in his personal jet to the Capitol, so his carbon footprint is reduced. So too the Disney executive who resigned. A win-win for the environment one must agree.

When I was in high school, global cooling was the prevailing alarm cry. Our emissions were going to bring on a new ice age and we would all starve to death as the resulting growing season of three months wouldn't yield enough food to sustain us all. Then there was talk of a nuclear winter during the Reagan Era. Apparently, we've somehow over-compensated for the cooling effect. All that brightening of the Earth's surface by building of mega-malls and paved surfaces--and clearing out rain forests--we were told.

Then the acid rain and ozone hole/ozone layer problems were quietly solved, though no one is taking credit or giving out attaboys for that.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 09:29:03 am »
At the time global cooling was thought to be a thing, there was little known about many sorts of greenhouse gasses. Limited knowledge led to flawed assumptions. And global warming can and does cause colder weather in some places, and harsher winters. We didn't overcompensate at all. We just didn't understand properly how global warming worked.

The ozone layer has still not fully recovered (although it is slowly getting there, and it thought to recover by 2050 - we didn't even have solid proof it was properly closing until late 2015/2016), and acid rain still affects eastern Europe from Poland parts of the United States, Canada, China and Taiwan. So no, those aren't really "solved" yet.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 11:51:09 am »
The wealthy types of the world will see that they and those they
care about will have comfort no matter how the rest of us have
to live.

Personally I think ocean temps are the best evidence of warming.
Air temps are so variable it takes decades to get a real average up
or down.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:11:27 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com