Author Topic: What's it like to be a Mod/Admin?  (Read 52144 times)

Offline DreamerHusky

Re: Furtopians
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 05:55:42 pm »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:44:08 pm by DreamerHusky »

Offline unholy dragon

• Male
    • http://www.unholydragon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2009, 09:48:48 pm »
i been a member for ages and i only just returned here after sometime away.
When life is good enjoy it, When life is bad Improve it.

avoid psychic vampires

Offline Onion

• Kupo!
  • Male
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2009, 09:56:39 pm »
Welcome back. and nice to meet you, Im Moon Dogy.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: What's it like to be a Mod/Admin?
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 09:21:46 pm »
Pardon me for posting in a slightly old thread, but as a long time member (7 years) and also finally an Admin, I'd like to add my own thoughts to this topic. I've wanted to do so for a very long time, but I've wanted to wait until the right moment when I had enough experience under my belt so to speak. I'll try not to re-hash what everybody else has said, and I do not want to speak for the other staff and/or WS. My comments here in this post are my own thoughts and feelings. But if I do inadvertantly repeat anything that others have already said, then I apologise.  :-[

What's it like to be a Moderator and/or an Administrator? Well, let me tell you, It's not easy.  :P A lot of comments made by Peaches, Kada-Ru, Sporty Fox, Savaaha, Far Raptor, and a few others have pretty much hit the spot as for what it's like to work here. It's a tough job, folks. You might think it's easy, but it's not. Every hour of every day, week, and month, the staff are constantly checking and re-checking posts, threads, and other issues that need handling. We're also debating and discussing decisions that not only affect the members, but the entire site as a whole. It's tough trying to figure out if we should do this, or should we do that? As Peaches had said in her first post, we don't get paid for this. We're all just volunteers donating our time and whatever other resources to help Furtopia grow as a community. Why did I become staff and work here? I did it for no other reason than to simply help out. I didn't become staff to be mean. I didn't become staff to yell. And I didn't become staff to lay down rule after rule after rule. If I've ever had to be strict with someone, then I'm sorry. But as a staff person, my job has to come first and my friends second. It hurts when I have to do this, and I've watched in year's past as I've lost friends. But when I'm logged into the forums and I see my name in red Admin lettering, then I have a job to do.
If I've ever made a mistake, then I am sorry for that too. When you take away the fursonas and all the role playing that the staff do, we're all just human and we will occasionally make mistakes from time to time. The only things we can do is learn and grow from those mistakes. And at the end of the day or night when I log off and you don't see my name at the bottom, Will I still be an Admin? No. I try to leave my Admin job at Furtopia only. When I'm logged out, then all the rules and PM's, etc. are left behind. I don't want to discuss "Furtopia business" with my friends in real life. I don't want to lay down rules or anything else when I see someone face to face. The only thing I want to do is just "be friends". :) And no matter how much I may PM someone and lay down the rules, I hope that that member I am conversing with can look past the job I have to do and still want to be a friend no matter how much I may be strict or whatever else.

I consider Furtopia my furry home and I couldn't imagine of going anywhere else. It's really hard to describe what this place does to you or what it brings about or whatever. I just know that I've liked it here for a long time and I wanted to "give back" so to speak to this community my time, knowledge, experience, skills, and anything else I had to offer as a "Thanks" for WhiteSheperd allowing me to be a member here.
What makes Furtopia special? Honestly, I don't know. The reasons could be as varied as the amount of fursonas the members have here. All I can really say is that you probably won't find another furry forum quite as friendly and nice as Furtopia. We're unique, that's for sure. Why the "family friendly/PG" nature of the forums? I'd have to take a guess and say that Furtopia is open to people young and old (of any age), female and male, of any background and ethinicity, etc. that share a common interest of anthropomorphics. We don't discriminate here. There are lots of forums on the Net out there, but some may be too yiffy. Others may be too lax with language, rules, or something else. Furtopia represents IMO a safe and respectable place where people can come and discuss issues that interest them and to feel safe and secure from bullying, flaming, disrespect, etc., etc.

Why all the rules? I know not everybody likes rules. Heck, not even myself. But if we didn't have rules and laws in this world, then the world would fall into chaos and anarchy. It may seem like Furtopia has a lot of rules for various things. But if you look at them sometime, they really aren't that bad or excessive, and they do make sense. The staff will try to work with the members in allowing stuff that they may want. But if we ever have to say No that you can't do something, then our decisions must be final. There are reasons for all the rules Furtopia has. Some may be old, while others may be new. But regardless of whether those rules/reasons are old or new, they are all still valid nonetheless. If anybody ever has a question on why something is the way it is, then please PM an Admin and we'll be glad to explain things to you. :) Some members may say "Why can't I do this?" or "Why can't I do that?". I'm sorry, but respectfully, the Internet is not like the wild, wild, west. It may seem like it since there is so little or no governing rules for how the Net operates, but no matter where you go, there will always be rules and laws to follow. You can't always get what you want. Furtopia belongs to WhiteShepherd and Kada-Ru. It's THEIR website, and as such, we (Members and staff) all have to follow whatever rules they may have for their website. The main reason we have the rules that we do is because of Furtopia's "family friendly/PG" nature. We tend to have members here as young as 12. We also have parents and/or whole "families" of members here, and we have to keep things to a respectable level. 

I'm not sure what else I can say here, folks. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this topic about what it's like to do the jobs that the staff do. If I rambled or went off topic, then sorry.  :-[ I've tried to explain things on how I see them, but like I said, my opinions are my own. I did not want to speak for anyone else or WS.

Offline Sakudoodle

• DJ Doe
  • Female
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2010, 07:48:49 am »
Oh wow.
I've been a member of quite alot of forums, but you're the first mod I ever see doing this.
This is a very good initiative actually. Many people think that when you go mod, you get special benefits.
All but true. (Speaks out of experience) I used to be a mod for a forum of a friend, but it died out while ago. Was after which we moved to Gaia Online lol
Pawshakes:
Isri, The Woodland Dog.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 06:16:37 pm »
Just curious, do you guys still require admin activation of all accounts?

Because if you do... you have my empathy (empathy is from one sufferer to another, right?)... :(
(I am currently running through a 3-week backlog of mostly spambots and a handful of possible users >.<)

Anyways, yeah, I totally respect you guys for what you have to put up with, let me tell you that.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »

Yes, All new member registrations for the forums are "manually" checked by the Admins before any new members are approved. It's a bit of a time consuming process, but it's better to do it that way than to let in a spammer or something worse. ;)
And thanks to whatever "wizardry" WS implemented long ago, We are not flooded with spambot accounts. :)

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 06:51:02 pm »

Yes, All new member registrations for the forums are "manually" checked by the Admins before any new members are approved. It's a bit of a time consuming process, but it's better to do it that way than to let in a spammer or something worse. ;)
And thanks to whatever "wizardry" WS implemented long ago, We are not flooded with spambot accounts. :)

That must help a /lot/! :o

Offline Goobladon

• I love MS paint
  • Male
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2010, 02:10:51 am »
good speech, i've been friends with vidja game mods before... and its true you don't get any benefits, I tried :P

Offline knightpazz

• what's a tummy :/
  • Male
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2011, 01:34:03 am »
 really I wouldnt say anything hurtful or mean because I look over everything before posting and the mods do a very good job I see no things that would make someone upset on any of the pages i visited and posted on so good job of doing your job you do a good job of it  :D
If penguins had knees the world would be doomed

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2011, 01:23:44 am »

That must help a /lot/! :o
:D
We (transcendence forums) just switched to this system (one that is much more effect at preventing bot registrations). It helps so much.

Offline R.A.Blackpaws

• Species: Fox, primarily. Bits of wolf, lioness and red panda in the brain too.
  • Male
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2011, 11:24:44 am »
Over the time I have been here (just over six years...wow), I've had quite a bit of interaction with the mods and staff here.

All of them have been very positive and very helpful and for that, I thank them.

I also know how hard the job of an admin/mod can be on a board and I know all the stuff they have to deal with first-paw. I actually received death threats in real-life for enforcing group policies online. No joke.

Furtopia's mods do what they do for EVERYONE here. Not a small clique of vocal people, not for the one individual...they have to make this a safe haven for everyone.

Sometimes feathers get ruffled and sometimes people feel hurt/persecuted...but, if they take the time to actually look at the rules, they would see that those rules are designed to allow everyone to enjoy the site in a safe manner.

Mods do what they do...and its not a paying job either...for the good of the forum and community as a whole.

For that little fact alone, they deserve respect...and maybe a cookie.

Add in all the little things that they do every day, like answering questions, settling disputes, and taking time to help out those of us who get confused with simple things *sheepishly raises a paw*...and that respect should be higher.

However, it seems people today feel that they can do whatever they want online and can completely ignore the rules of forums like this one...and then view the mods as "Tyrants" or "Draconian" when they enforce the rules on the site.

To those people, let me say this:it's their JOB.  Their role is to also police the forum and make sure it stays a healthy environment for everyone.

They don't get paid for this job. They VOLUNTEERED for it because they loved this forum that much that they wanted to help maintain it and protect it...*pauses for a bit*...guess I just made the mods sound like the US military for a bit there. Sorry. *blushes*

Anyway, the mods here are doing the best job that they can...which, in all honesty, is head, shoulders, tails and wings above ANYWHERE else in the furry fandom.

I've bounced around for a while before joining this place...and I am very glad I did. This is my major furry home on the 'net (I have a small condo on FurAffinity, cause my work exceeds the rating limit here).

I like it here and I appreciate all that the mods, watchers, admins and everyone in authority here does to make it a welcoming, warm and fuzzy...and SAFE...place to be.

*ends speech and hands out cookies to all the staff*

"Be true to what you are.  Never hide your true self from anyone.  The moment you do, you stop living and start...existing.  From experience, life loses a lot when you simply...exist"

Archon Snowfur (my wolf side), from the story "Graduation Day, 2190".

"Have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out."

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2011, 11:42:47 am »
*noms cookie*  This is peanut butter cookie, right? I'll ban you if it isn't.  >:(

Offline R.A.Blackpaws

• Species: Fox, primarily. Bits of wolf, lioness and red panda in the brain too.
  • Male
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2011, 11:50:17 am »
*noms cookie*  This is peanut butter cookie, right? I'll ban you if it isn't.  >:(

*checks the listing on the assortment platter*

Hmm...says there's peanut butter cookies in there...*examines what's left of the assortment platter*

Well, I can't tell what you grabbed...so I'll say yes.  :)
"Be true to what you are.  Never hide your true self from anyone.  The moment you do, you stop living and start...existing.  From experience, life loses a lot when you simply...exist"

Archon Snowfur (my wolf side), from the story "Graduation Day, 2190".

"Have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out."

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2011, 12:35:25 pm »
I know firsthand being a mod or admin is a tough job and I have a great deal of respect for those willing to do it.. I used to own and moderate a robotic pets forum. Never again. Apparently when I created the forum I was unaware that there was some bad blood between some members because of something that went on on another board. Apparently they felt the need to drag their little war onto my board as well. I allowed someone to join that these people apparently thought I shouldn't have and was immediately flooded with angry messages because I did so. They tried to drag me into their little war for some reason.
To be fair, after reading some of this person's posts on other boards and on usenet I can see why she rubbed people the wrong way. But I wanted to give her the benifit of the doubt. She was genuinely a fan of robotic pets so it wasn't like she just joined to troll or anything. She did have a bit of an abrasive personality but I figured I could give her a chance and if she started making trouble she could be banned. And it turned out she behaved herself when she was on my board. The others still hated her though.

After that mess. I eventually shut the board down. You couldn't pay me to be an admin or Mod again after that. I respect the job and those who do it but I'm just not cut out for it.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Kevin Foxboy 47

• Male
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2012, 07:10:10 pm »
As an over-50 furr (graymuzzle) I know some site's chats dissolve into flame wars. The mods on duty there seem to let their friends get away with language, hot-links or downright rude behaviour. If I ever seem rude it's because I expect reasonable people, not cry-babies or agenda-pushers. My little experience lurking (yeah I admit it, listening before posting like this) on Furtopia shows a refreshing level of maturity (disagree with a statement, not the person's parentage). I thank the mods and whoever conceived Furtopia. *sound of four paws clapping*
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 02:41:14 am »
can i just say.

this is one of the best structured forum's i've ever been part of. the features being used to their full potential and even the little things like the warning message that pops up in red if you are about to 'grave dig' and hence discourages the practice.

so highpaws to all of the mods and supporting staff!!
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Synaptic Road

• Species: A duality: all and none!
  • You see all you know, but don't know all you see!
  • Male
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2015, 02:50:30 am »
You know, Kobuk, I gotta say, you're likely the most stand-up admin I've seen on any part of the 'Net , and while I admit that I have little experience with forums and stuff in comparison to many others here on Furtopia (which is a rather precarious assumption I'll avoid making again), I've never seen an admin step forward and lay down the hard truth about being a staff member on a forum or any other such place on the Internet.

As many others have commented here, I've seen how a lot of people are under the impression that being a mod or higher-up staff comes with benefits or is "easy," and despite never having been a mod myself, I've never had that impression.  Being part of forum staff (etc.) is about keeping the peace and ensuring the comfort of all members, but staff integrity is every bit as important, too.  It doesn't mean you get to boss non-staff at your discretion, as you said; in fact, the very opposite is true - as staff, you have even more responsibility in terms of integrity...and I can certainly understand your perspective about "work before friends."  It's not easy to tell your friends "no" if they ask something of you, and it's made even more painful when you have "friends" who are unwilling or unable to accept that for whatever reason.

I know this from experience, because I had to learn this, too - not for the sake of "work," but for the sake of "not neglecting self-respect in the process of respecting others."  I had to learn to put my foot down about friends asking for favors when it would mean harming myself in some way, and I've told a few of my "ex-friends" to basically screw off because in the end, they didn't show me the same respect I showed to them first.  I have my own personal boundaries, and I make sure to lay them down up-front - in a sense, that's similar to established rules on forums.  If you don't respect my boundaries, I'm going to chew you out; if people don't respect the forum rules - "boundaries in their won right - they're going to be reprimanded.  I'm kind enough to give second chances in most cases, and when I do bring down the figurative "banhammer" on someone, it's because they repeatedly disrespected my boundaries; this is just a guess, but most people who've ever been banned from Furtopia were repeat offenders, too.  Some people have pulled something bad enough that I drop them right off without looking back; I can imagine that perhaps the same thing has happened here, too.  You could almost say I'm acting as a "moderator," but the difference is that I am one person, while Furtopia is...well.  However many members are registered, I guess.  There have been times when I'd honestly like to give being a staff member on a forum a shot if offered, but to be very honest, I prefer to be outdoors and away from the Internet.

Though I'll make a separate post for this for the sake of keeping on topic, I honestly have never felt a sense of belonging anywhere in any aspect of human civilization - this includes the Internet, regardless of where it may be.  My place of belong is in nature which, when you think about it, fits into the context of the "furry fandom."  However, this means that if any admin here approached me with an offer for a staff promotion, I'd have to decline, because I would never as active on Furtopia as the position would demand.

My forté is mediation, not moderation, and there's a pretty distinct difference between to two roles, so I very much respect what your position entails, Kobuk, along with the other staff here.  c:

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2015, 06:59:34 am »
You know, Kobuk, I gotta say, you're likely the most stand-up admin I've seen on any part of the 'Net

Thanks for the compliment, but.........I'm not an Admin anymore. I'm retired.

Offline Synaptic Road

• Species: A duality: all and none!
  • You see all you know, but don't know all you see!
  • Male
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2015, 02:26:58 pm »
That doesn't matter in the end - you have the experience and vouched for how tough it is in detail...something more admins should really do.  I might be new here, but at least I can recognize your past effort, yes?  c:

Offline phinox

• Species: Red Dragon (Venia)
  • Male
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2015, 05:15:03 pm »
I agree with everything said in this, Makes it really feel like we're on big family instead of a hierarchy. Good job everyone  :) ^.^
Cyfarchion o Gymru - Greeting from Wales!

Picture of 'sona by Pix