Author Topic: Soup kitchens.  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
Soup kitchens.
« on: May 27, 2017, 11:28:28 pm »
Have you ever eaten or volunteered at one?

Due to financial stress, I recently gave in and ate at one, it's a place where they serve everyone, I'm not sure how other ones are.

The place is called The lords diner, and is ran by a Catholic ministry, it's about the size of a small restaurant, it's only open for two hours.

I went in and signed in, which is just really a few questions for data, such as race, age, and gender.

It was nice, the volunteers were very nice, and they have random meals, but this time it was an apple, some kind of broccoli/potato soup, green beans, a bag of chips, something random from QT (Chicken salad wraps), and a brownie (but you can choose a cookie instead if you want), tonight was a taco salad and a brownie.

Plus water, tea, or coffee with a few refills.

There was one person who had the nerve to complain about not being served tea, he even started cussing a little, the nerve of some people!

Not to mention he was upset that all they had was a chicken wrap instead of a sandwich, and no soup.

I'm sitting there thinking "C'mon man, are you serious? You aren't even paying a dime for this meal! You have no right to complain, be thankful it's not one small bowl of soup and then being told to get out."

Thankfully I saw my uncle there so it was less awkward, not to mention the weird guy cussing and complaining left shortly after.

I'll admit, I had to swallow my pride at first, but in reality, nobody's above free food.

Plus, I shouldn't have had that kind of attitude when the churches I've gone to have fed the congregation after, usually for free.

Meh, I'll tell you this though, once I get back on my feet I'm going to volunteer there, and donate when I can.

I kinda wanna make a list, but doing a simple search will do the trick.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:34:53 pm by Kaiden »
Every now and then...

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Soup kitchens.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:15:58 pm »

No to both. Though I did used to work at a combination restaurant/catering business where we donated catering leftovers to a local food bank.

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 02:39:07 pm »

No to both. Though I did used to work at a combination restaurant/catering business where we donated catering leftovers to a local food bank.

You've mentioned your previous work before. :P

It might not add anything extra to a resume, but I'm still going to volunteer.
Every now and then...

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 03:00:27 pm »
I've never gone to one simply because, while I was very VERY poor and hungry (I ate on £10/week or less), I wasn't homeless. And a lot of people who use soup kitchens in this part of the world are just people who want free food but don't need it. As in, will literally walk in with shopping bags of food and clothes, grab a free meal, and then go back to their warm homes. I didn't want to become like that, so I made my way as best I could and left the free food for those with less than me.

As for volunteering, it's not on the cards for me right now. I have had very bad experiences being a volunteer before due to being very short, young looking and female. It is not something I want to go through again.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#