Author Topic: Is this a good idea?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
Is this a good idea?
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:03:31 pm »
I am currently in the proccess of writing a different novel(not furry related) that is going to have a sequel. it is a war novel. this is my first time writing and i am a young author, im only 17. I am inspired to do a war novel based on furries. Being that i am young and new at this whole writing thing, i dont think i can handle two books at the same time. :P

Question:
I know that furry short stories are popular among furries, but i really like writing full sized(200 to 300 page ) chapter novels with character developement and a good soryline. im wondering if this is a good idea. Can something that involves furries be published and taken seriously? i know furries would buy it, but what about the general public. would they shun me as an author because this is a "weird" fandom in their eyes?

What is the novel about?
I was thinking of a war between anthros and humans. In the past the furry fandom developed a way to temporarily genetically alter their bodies to look more and more like anthros. Eventually the augmentations became perminent and the anthros formed their own society and follow their own rules. Humanity started war with the disobedient anthros and found their animalistic abilities(run fast, stronger than people, sharp claws, ect.) accompanied with the ability to use human weapons to be a threat too overpowering for the humans to handle. humanity is losing the war.
:goldbloody:

The story will be in first person following a character that fought for the humans, but is currently in a jail cell due to him being turned into an anthro by the enemy. he recounts the fights against the anthros in flashbacks, here i will deminstrate the awesome power of the anthros in battle. He goes through some changes mentally after being tortured and experiemented on by his own fellow human. Eventually he escapes and fights against the cruel humans. The ending will cliffhang as to leave room for a second book.

I like the idea and i will write it down and start on it after my book im doing currently, but i was wondering if this was a good idea to do. I'll probably do it anyways, but it will set my heart at ease if i can be reassured that this is something the general non-furry reader would enjoy.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
Re: Is this a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:05:19 am »
Science-fiction is full of furry fiction that is accepted as mainstream sci-fi.  C.J. Cherryh's Chanur series.  David Brinn's Uplift books.  I've seen short stories that are basically furry from a variety of mainstream sci-fi authors.  And, in fact, I just read a completely mainstream, literary novel -- New York Times bestseller, no less -- written from the perspective of a dog.  If you write great fiction, it will find its place.  So, definitely, write what you believe in.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
Re: Is this a good idea?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:28:31 pm »
Thanks. Maybe i just needed to here that. I was a little hesitant because i know most people dont get furries. but ya, i guess you're right. I f its good, then it would be science fiction and will get the attention i want. Thanks. actually come to think of it, that ape movie were they have taken over the planet could be considered a furry film, but for the mainstream media, it falls under sci-fi. I was going to write it anyways because it make me happy to write such stories, but its settling to see how the public would view it.  :)
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR