Author Topic: The beginning of the end of the Internet and free speech as we know it  (Read 6289 times)

Offline Rocco

• Species: German Shepherd
  • Male
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/08/17/internet-two-months-left-obama-gives-control-dictators/

On October 1st, President Obama will give control of domain names to the UN. This will allow the UN (Influenced by nations like Russia, China, and Iran) to shut down any websites it wants. Or if you're someone who believes our government is up to no good, it'd be a way for the UN to shut down sites they or the US doesn't like. And of course there's the problem with America no longer having control over it.
Lose-lose-lose

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: The beginning of the end of the Internet and free speech as we know it
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:44:23 pm »
A little background of ICANN would be in order.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICANN

Offline Shim

• Male

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:28:00 am »
Thank you Rocco. It's good to laugh in the morning. There is so much dumb propaganda out there. So President Obama is going to give control of the internet to a group who's had control of the internet sense 1998.

It's a shame. There's people who will be angry about things that never happened. And afraid of things that never will. America is dying. One lie at a time.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:38:18 am »
WWW The world wide web. I really don't think the USA has
much control of it. Hackers probably do more to ruin the net
for people than any country likely would. Governments like to
snoop on or hack other governments and big businesses anyway.

It's another good reason to kick the UN out of the USA.. Move it
to a neutral country like Switzerland along with it's spies.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocco

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 11:42:30 am »
Snopes to the rescue.
http://www.snopes.com/2016/08/19/america-to-hand-off-internet/
From the Snopes article "The criteria specified by the Administration firmly establish Internet governance as the province of multistakeholder institutions"
Please tell me that doesn't mean it'll be controlled by private individuals. That'd be even worse

Mark my words Cause. You aren't going to be laughing in a few years.

We control the domains. Switzerland might actually not be a bad idea Old Rabbit. And getting rid of the UN sounds excellent to me.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 12:33:10 pm »
I think you're being a bit overly paranoid, Rocco.  :P

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:11:22 pm »
YES privet individuals control the internet. You find evidence of that everywhere you go. They even have mods here. AND THEY ARE WATCHING YOU! Right now there are cookies in your computer. Tracking everywhere you go. Telling the company owned web sites when you come back. And just like the security cameras at the grocery store, they know what brand of toilet paper you use.

There has been claims of President Obama selling the internet ever sense he was elected. A good three to four times a year. So in eight years the internet has been sold 24 to 32 times. And each time it's been 'sold' people go nuts. Then when nothing happens they forget all about it. Till it's 'sold' again. But that's brain washing for ya. Only believe what your told. Your personal and day to day experience means nothing. Your dictators will tell you when you need to be afraid again.

Fear and paranoia are only good for undermining stability. America is dying. One lie at a time.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 10:36:50 pm »
Um, private individuals control everything, both the government and corporations, unless you think either of those are actually controlled by the Illuminated Masonic Order of Jewish-Satanic Space-Lizards (which still doesn't change anything because lizard-people are people, too).

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 11:04:25 pm »
Um, private individuals control everything, both the government and corporations, unless you think either of those are actually controlled by the Illuminated Masonic Order of Jewish-Satanic Space-Lizards (which still doesn't change anything because lizard-people are people, too).

YES Scalies are furries too!  :D

Offline Rocco

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 12:26:41 am »
I think you're being a bit overly paranoid, Rocco.  :P
Considering everything else the government has been pulling? I'm afraid the time for alarm is here

Cause, I didn't post this in the debate section, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to just drop it.

Foxpup. Yes they do. However, they have a system trying to control them, like the Constitution for the government. I'm talking about the possibility of a group of private individuals working freely or with minimal control taking it like they have with the federal reserve.

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 03:52:31 am »
I'm talking about the possibility of a group of private individuals working freely or with minimal control taking it like they have with the federal reserve.
There's no such possibility. Private individuals will always be restricted in their freedom and power to some degree by either their government or (in the case of a hypothetical anarchic society) some form of collectivist or corporate power structure. The Federal Reserve Bank is only able to operate as it does because the government explicitly allows it to under the Federal Reserve Act of 1913. The government controls the Fed, not the other way around. (Some would say it does a poor job of it, but that's another topic.)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 06:34:32 am »

Cause, I didn't post this in the debate section, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to just drop it.

So the truth got to you? Instead of questioning you'd rather continue to be angry about things that never happened. Afraid of things that never will. You have been lied to. Cheated out of a good life. For the sake of power by one political group.

Offline Rocco

• Male
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 03:04:21 pm »
Fine Cause, we'll debate until a mod shuts us down. And for the record, I am an Independent, not a Republican

ICANN has had control of the Domain Naming System, but it was under government watch. It is now going to the UN. When it does, the people of no nation will have any real say in it.
Yes, private individuals control the websites, but not the DNS, the government has done a surprisingly good job of keeping that going good. Not anymore.
Yes, I am afraid. I'm afraid this is the beginning of the end of the First Amendment. And years from now once enough people realize it, one of two things will happen. Either the government will have taken the other rights along with it and we'll be past the point of no return (Welcome to the USSA), or 1776 will commence again.
If you want, I'll be perfectly happy to show you how the Constitution has been shredded. And this isn't "Oh, they said this" conspiracy, the Constitution is under active and heavy assault, and our rights are slipping away. NDAA, civil asset forfeiture, etc.

Foxpup. I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who warned us about perpetual debt and banking establishments. The federal government has the power to print money, not a group of bankers. Yet the fed is a private institution stealing from every single American. The government does not control the fed.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 06:05:52 pm »
I don't get how this could even remotely lead to the end of free speech on the internet. It seems like a massive jump in logic to me.    Doesn't ICANN handle domain name registration stuff? So even without that web sites would still be completely accessible through IP. Sure that'd be way more of a pain, but hardly the death of the internet.  Am I missing something?

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 06:15:11 pm »
Yes. Fear and propaganda. if you don't have it you wont get it.

some more truth.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/07/internet_un_security_council_net_mundial_initiative/

And more truth.
https://www.icann.org

Unfortunately if you read any of this you will never get fear or propaganda. And like me, live a normal happy life.  There is no debate here.

I guess it will be up to Hillary to actually sell the internet. Perhaps Trump will claim to have bought it.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 06:50:15 pm »
For uninitiated folks here on Furtopia, could someone put this whole mess in "plain simple english" so that we can all understand? I just don't "get it".  x_x

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 11:26:02 pm »
Alright. As plain as it gets.

The republican propaganda machine has claimed again. "Obama has sold the internet". This is the norm. According to them Obama has sold the same internet multiple times now.

This propaganda machine claims that ICANN is a Chinese company. Icann is an American company. Started in California in 1998. Icann can be found here https://www.icann.org.

There is nothing to get. It's called propaganda. Propaganda is used to create fear and anger. It's also used to brain wash. Or create a state of mind that refuses any other form of information. Now no matter how unrealistic the claim those effected with this will believe it. Even if it completely contradicts their own personal experiences.

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 11:39:38 pm »
ICANN has had control of the Domain Naming System, but it was under government watch. It is now going to the UN. When it does, the people of no nation will have any real say in it.
False. ICANN is keeping its Governmental Advisory Committee. Over a hundred governments will have (and have always had) a say in it.

I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who warned us about perpetual debt and banking establishments. The federal government has the power to print money, not a group of bankers. Yet the fed is a private institution stealing from every single American. The government does not control the fed.
This is off-topic, and as I said, the government passed the laws that allow the Fed to operate and the government has the power to repeal or amend those laws. If you don't like how the government is using (or not using) its power, go talk to Congress about it. I won't discuss it further in this thread.

Doesn't ICANN handle domain name registration stuff? So even without that web sites would still be completely accessible through IP. Sure that'd be way more of a pain, but hardly the death of the internet.  Am I missing something?
You're missing alt roots and decentralised DNS systems like Namecoin. Neither of which ever caught on because nobody cares about DNS, but if anyone starts caring those are options to make moving away from ICANN significantly less painful. If it really comes to that, it's likely that ISPs and domain registrars will just quietly switch to alt roots and the users won't even know anything's changed.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 03:00:05 pm »
You're missing alt roots and decentralised DNS systems like Namecoin. Neither of which ever caught on because nobody cares about DNS, but if anyone starts caring those are options to make moving away from ICANN significantly less painful. If it really comes to that, it's likely that ISPs and domain registrars will just quietly switch to alt roots and the users won't even know anything's changed.
I fully expected that there would be alternatives.  But even without alternatives, it still isn't anything close to the death of the internet.   Consider Y2K: there at least I could see the reason for concern even if it was way overblown.  Here though, I don't see it at all.   I suspect it must be entirely due to people not knowing how the internet works, either that or I am definitely missing something.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 04:18:50 pm »
I guess it will be up to Hillary to actually sell the internet. Perhaps Trump will claim to have bought it.

Trump buying the Internet? That's even more scary than him becoming President.  :o

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 08:27:36 pm »
Well, I'm a month late to the party, but within the necro rules

I'd like to point out something REALLY important to the OP: PLEASE check your news sources before you start believing them :P

That original article is from Breitbart News, which is so bad that it makes Fox News look like respectable facts-based journalism by comparison.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/