Author Topic: A gut feeling.  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
A gut feeling.
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:14:14 pm »
8:00pm

Kobuk sat at his desk in his private office on the Admin level of the Furtopia building, all the while viewing various reports and other paperwork that needed his attention. It was a mostly quiet night. Some members and staff were still around, while others had gone home or out into the city to enjoy the night life.

Kobuk read paper after paper, signing his name on requisitions for supplies, or approving member registrations, or approving time off work for staff, etc. He hated paperwork, but it had to be done. He was, an Admin after all, and had been one for 4 years. And when you rise in staff rank, the paperwork never ceases.  :( Kobuk then got up from his chair and stretched a bit and yawned. It had been a long day and he had started early at 7am. He grabbed some of the finished paperwork from his desk and went over to his file cabinets and began putting it way. He then went back to his desk and grabbed the Mountain Dew can sitting there and was going to take a swig of Dew when he realised the can was empty and he had finished it earlier. Sighing, he casually threw the empty can in the wastebasket. Better not have any more, he thought. Otherwise, the caffine would keep him awake and he'd never get to sleep.

Kobuk sat back down in his chair. It was now about 8:45pm and he had 9 reports to finish. But as he read through them all, he did not sign them, date them, or even file them away. It was an odd feeling, almost like a gut instinct that came to Kobuk then as he viewed those last nine reports. He couldn't quite figure out what it was, but there was something nagging at him that made the fur stand on end on the back of his neck after viewing those reports. But what? Kobuk sat at his desk for another few minutes, reclining in his chair, his right handpaw resting on his chin as he was lost in thought. Something bothered him, but what could it be? Everything in the Furtopia building was normal and quiet right now. Or was it? There was only one way to find out he thought.

Kobuk got up from his desk, put the last 9 reports away in a locked drawer, then headed out of his office. He locked his office, then headed down hallways, corridors, and a "Admin Staff Only" elevator till he came to Furtopia Central Security. The door was plain except for one slot for special Admin Only keycards. Kobuk took his silver colored keycard hanging on a lanyard out from underneath his shirt and inserted it into the slot. Admins had silver cards, while Mods had blue, and other staff had red and green. Only Admin cards could override, supercede, and open anything in the building. All other staff cards were limited based on function and staff level. The door buzzed and then Kobuk entered the room, the door closing behind him and then locking again. After tucking the card back under his shirt, he went to another room of Central Security that was separate and for Admin eyes only. It was kinda like a room within a room. After entering the small 6x8 foot room and closing the door, Kobuk then turned off the lights so he could see the bank of colored wall monitors better. He then sat down in the chair at the desk and began flipping switches, turning knobs, and pushing buttons.

What was he looking for? He had a gut feeling, but almost nothing else. Something in those 9 last reports had made him suspicious, but he couldn't put his pawfinger on what it was. Kobuk then began typing commands into the computer keyboard in front of him. He then glanced up at the various monitors and began viewing all sorts of still images and live video. Right now, not much activity was going on. A few furs were in the gymnasium playing basketball late. Some furs were in the Art Center practicing drawing, the Furtopia Kitchen was in the process of closing as the kitchen staff were cleaning up after dinner time, the outside parking lot was empty except for a few cars, and just about every other Furtopia hallway, room, etc. was normal. Absolutely nothing was amiss in any way.

Kobuk leaned back in the chair and crossed his arms in front of his chest. His gaze fixated intently on the monitors in front of him. His eyes darting from one image or video to the next, watching as the various cameras panned, zoomed, and tilted, closely watching for anything suspicious. After about 2 hours of endlessly watching images and video, Kobuk was getting tired and had had enough. He typed in some special commands into the comp keyboard, then set all systems to automated until the next Admin came in. He then filed a report with his suspicions for the next Admin to read.

At 11pm, Kobuk headed out of Central Security, making sure to lock everything as he left. He then headed back to his office to get his coat and close up shop for the night. He still didn't know what was bothering him as he walked out the front entrance a few minutes later, but whatever it was, it just wouldn't subside. He then walked down the front entrance steps. As he did so, he stopped, then turned around and gave a sort of quizzical look at the Furtopia building. He stood there silently for a minute or two, then turned back around and continued back down the steps into the cold night. As he got to the bottom, a car pulled up and his husky friend Kevin yelled from the window.

"Hey, Kobuk, where you been? Late night for you, eh? Are you ok?"

Kobuk looked at Kevin. "Yeah, late night I guess. All's quiet.........I guess."

"Anything the matter?" Kevin asked.

"Just a gut feeling is all, but nothing else." replied Kobuk.

Kobuk then got into his friend's car and the both of them went off for a late night meal.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:22:46 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Mylo

Re: A gut feeling.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:36:21 am »
It's slightly unnerving what language cannot describe and what senses cannot detect.

Offline dodbringr

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:05:38 am »
It's slightly unnerving what language cannot describe and what senses cannot detect.

Agreed. If there is more to this story, we would be very interested in reading it.  :D

Offline Nyeti

• the "frigglebiscuit" approves!
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 02:41:16 am »
awesome,this seems interesting. that is,if it continues ;)
i really have a crazy thing for orange juice...and apples o.o

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:36:42 am »
Oh my! All those secrets exposed. Now everyone knows about the
inner sanctums of furtopia.   :o

Just kidding of course  :D

Yes it makes one wonder when you get a feeling of uneasiness like that.

Nicely written Kobuk. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
AWESOOOOME, :o what a cliffhanger, you should definitely continue this, (with me as the baddie! hahahaha ;)) but seriously, this is really good!
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 06:47:03 pm »
I might have Part 2 written tonight. Part 3 may not be till Weds. or later in the week.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:02:29 pm »
Part 2

*beep, beep, beep*

Kobuk laid in bed in his apartment, his eyes slightly coming open as he turned his head to look at the alarm clock on the nightstand.

9:12am it read. Damn!, he thought. He'd be late for work. It had been a long workday yesterday, and then Kobuk had gone out with his friend Kevin for a late meal instead of going straight home to get some sleep. What a mistake that was! he had thought to himself. Groggily, Kobuk swung his footpaws over the side of the bed and got up and stretched. If he was even going to make it in to work at a decent time, he'd have to hurry up and get going. After about a half hour or so of hurriedly showering, grooming, getting dressed, and doing a few other chores, he was then out the door and rushing to catch the mass transit bus to work.

At 10:05, Kobuk had arrived at the Furtopia building, ran up the steps, and sprinted into the large foyer/entranceway. He then checked in with the front security guard named Frank who gave him his Admin cardkey, morning mail, and any other messages or notes. The next thing he did was head to the main Furtopian Cafeteria located on the Second Floor to get some quick breakfast. As he took the elevator, then went down a few hallways, he casually looked around and said Hello to whatever Furtopians were about. The Furtopian building was starting to come alive with groups of furs coming and going to various art classes, discussion halls, sports arenas, etc.

As Kobuk rounded a corner, he bumped into a 6' 2" gray and white colored husky, a Malamute just like himself.

"Oh, sorry. Are you ok?" asked Kobuk.

"Yeah, I'm fine." said the other husky.
"Sorry if I startled you. I'm Kobuk, one of the Administrators here at the Furtopia building. I don't believe we've met yet?" Kobuk said as he held out his right handpaw for a pawshake.
"I'm Greybeard. I'm new here. I just got approved yesterday." the other husky said as he shook Kobuk's handpaw.
"Cool. Well, I hope I'll see you around some more. It's always good to see another husky around here. Would you like to join me for breakfast? I hope to make it before the kitchen prepares to change over to the lunch menu."
"Ah........no thanks. I just finished eating. I hate to go, but I've got some friends to meet. See ya around." said Greybeard as he hurriedly went on his way past Kobuk down the hallway, but slightly turned his head and almost gave Kobuk a scowling look before continuing on his way.

Kobuk watched Greybeard go and only half noticed the look that Greybeard gave him before Kobuk realised he'd be late for breakfast. He hurriedly entered the cafeteria and was greeted by the Head Chef named Donald who was an otter.

"You're late for breakfast, my friend." said Donald with a scowling look.
"Gee, no kidding. I overslept. What else is new?" Kobuk retorted.
"Not much, my friend. Not much." said Donald with a slight grin. "What can I get ya? You've still got some time for breakfast yet."
"Hmmm. Gimmie a Denver Omelette, a side of hashbrowns, and an English muffin. And can you have that sent up to my office for me. I'll eat up there."
"Yeah, sure. No problem." as Donald walked back to the kitchen to prepare Kobuk's breakfast.

Kobuk then went to the cashier to pay early for his meal, then left the cafeteria and headed up to his office. He set his briefcase on the desk, then sat down in his chair, leaned back, and sighed. What a Morning!, he thought. Late for work, Almost missed breakfast, then bumped into a new fur. What else could go wrong?, he thought. About 15 minutes later, his breakfast arrived. Kobuk took the tray from the Server and went back to his desk to enjoy his meal. After breakfast, he opened up his briefcase and began to go through the daily routine of more paperwork and reports.

After finishing the morning mail and some early emails some time later, Kobuk then unlocked the drawer that the 9 files were in from last night and began to go over them again. All 9 files were new member registrations within the last 2-3 days. Nine regs in 2-3 days might not seem odd. But what got Kobuk suspicious was the fact that all 9 new members were Huskies or Wolves, and they all came from northern regions on the continent in a 500 mile radius. Going over the files more closely, Kobuk noticed that all the members were fairly young except for one which went by the name of Greybeard. Now that was odd, he thought to himself.  :o All nine also had listed in their files that they were skilled in construction, security, and exploration trades. Hardly surprising since Huskies were reknown for their construction and exploration talents as they were a strong species. And wolves made great security advisors and other personnel. But 9 Furtopian members all having the same/similar trades and skills? It just seemed too much of a coincidence. The only other odd detail in Greybeards file was that he was skilled in Diplomacy. Now THAT was odd.  :o What would a husky need with Diplomacy skills?

Kobuk then turned on his computer and began to access all video and image logs from late last night as well as today before he arrived for work. By typing in various commands, He began to search for specific images and video of all 9 new members. There were no images or video of any of the members from last night.........or any other night for that matter after 6pm. Another odd coincidence? Maybe. All video and still images of the new members was mostly in the mornings and afternoons. They were never seen during the nighttime. None of the new members had any dormitory living quarters in the Furtopia building either. Another odd fact was that a lot of video seemed to show Greybeard spending a lot of time in the Furtopian library. Most of the other 8 members would be going to various rooms and participating in activities or meeting other furs. But more than a few times, there'd be at least two of the wolves always with Greybeard wherever he went. This single fact surprised Kobuk very much and he began to make some security notes on his computer. After awhile, he called another Admin by the name of Weisseman up to his office to discuss what he had found.

Weisseman entered Kobuk's office 10 minutes later.

"What's up, Kobuk?"
"I need you to take a look at these files and the security logs I have, then tell me what you think."

Weisseman read the files and watched all the video logs. After an hour, he turned to Kobuk and said:

"A lot of this stuff does seem to be a bit odd, but nothing that we can take action against. If they haven't done anything wrong, then we can't ban them or call the Authorities."

"You think I'm being overly paranoid or suspicious?"

"No, not really. I'll agree with you that all this is odd. Maybe we should continue to keep watching them for the next several days."

"I'd like to inform the Watchers and Mods. The wolves especially need watching I think.

"Hmmm. I'll see what I can do. I'll have a chat with all of them, but I want all of the watching that all of us staff to do to be very discreet. I don't want these furs to know that we are onto them. We have to be very careful in how we handle things."

"I concur. We'll just go about our daily routines as normal. Let them participate in activities and meet other furs, but keep a watchful eye on them. Be courteous and friendly to them. I only want the Mods and Watchers notified about all this. But don't tell any regular members. We don't want to alarm the public and raise any further suspicions or panic. Got it?"

"Got it." Weisseman said, and then he turned and began to walk out of the office.

"Oh, and one other thing, Weisseman."

Weisseman stopped and turned around. "What's that?"

"I accidentally bumped into Greybeard this morning near the cafeteria. We had a friendly greeting, but when I shook his handpaw, it didn't quite feel like a husky's handpaw. There was a different feel to it. I can't quite describe it. It was as if it was "unnatural" in some way. He also appeared to be in a hurry. As he went past me, I could have sworn I saw him giving me a scowling look."

"I'll keep a close watch on him and let you know what I find."

"Thanks. I appreciate it."

Weisseman then turned and finished walking out the office and back to his work area.

Kobuk then locked the files back up and then continued to type more notes and commands into his computer. He had a feeling it was going to be a long week. A very long week filled with much watching and a lot of suspicion. ;)

Part 3 on Weds. or later in the week.

Offline Nyeti

• the "frigglebiscuit" approves!
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:37:44 pm »
i love it! i didnt know you were the story writer type kobuk (:
i really have a crazy thing for orange juice...and apples o.o

Offline dodbringr

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 12:16:58 am »
If nothing else, we definitely like how this is developing! Keep it up Kobuk!  :D

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 01:00:17 am »
i love it! and the suspense!
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 10:45:35 am »
Thanks for reading, guys. Part 3 will be later in the week. I need time to develop the characters a bit more and some plot points. The surprise ending will be something nobody expected.  8)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:42 am »
Very good Kobuk. Just courious, have you been working
on this story for a while, or just the last few days.

It's well developed for a quick write. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 11:55:00 am »
It's just a quick write. I never had it pre-planned out in advance.

Offline Jackie

• Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 01:03:08 pm »
A quick write! this is REALLY good for a quick write, and oh the suspense! its killing me! i can't wait for part 3, :)
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 11:49:14 am »

Your story is well done for a quick write.

Looking forward to more. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Jackie

• Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 06:02:13 pm »
what happened to this? It was so good.