not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

Ban guns and/or expand background checks for Muslims?

(1/4) > >>

Kobuk:
For those who haven't been keeping up with the news, several days ago, two Muslims, a man and his wife, went on a shooting spree in San Bernadino, California and killed 14 people at a Christmas party. According to Police and FBI investigations, both Muslims were radicalised by ISIS teachings and had planned to carry out attacks  with massive amounts of guns, ammunition, and homemade pipe bombs the couple had stored in their car and home.

Here's the main question(s) of this thread:
1. Should increased (and more detailed) background checks be done on Muslims and/or any other suspected radical/extreme people before they are allowed to purchase and carry guns?
2. Should assault style weapons be banned from purchase by Muslims and/or other suspected radical/extreme individuals or groups?

Although numerous legislation by Congress has been proposed to make it tougher for Muslims and/or other radical/extreme individuals and groups from obtaining firearms, such legislation has been either stalled or blocked by various Republicans, Special Interest Groups, and even the NRA (National Rifle Association).

For crying out loud!  :o After everything that happened in San Bernadino with 14 people getting killed by radical Muslims with assault style weapons, you'd think people would applaud and encourage more checks and gun control for Muslims and/or other suspected extremeist and radical individuals/groups. If the U.S. has a so called "no fly" list for Muslims and other extreme people, then why can't we also have a "no guns" list for suspected Muslims who might be radicalised? I'm not saying that we ban all Muslims from owning a gun, but only those people who are suspected of being radicalised or have had contact with ISIS or other extreme groups. And we don't have to ban all forms of guns from Muslims, but just the so called assault style weapons that can kill mass amounts of people.

And I don't want to bring Donald Trump into this debate thread. But it must be mentioned that if this guy keeps touting his anti-Muslim rhetoric and wants to ban all Muslims from entering the country, we could find ourselves with even more bloodshed on American soil as more Muslims in the U.S. become angrier with his rhetoric and/or could potentially get guns and create more terrorist attacks on American soil. Trump's rhetoric is exacerbating the situation.  >:(
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/08/opinions/trump-isis/index.html

Jackie:
Neither, these types of people are outliers regardless of how often we all hear about them, and it would only cause further problems and racial/religious tensions.

These radical group members may be mislead and brainwashed, but to be able to justify to themselves the torture and massacre of endless numbers of people, with no discrimination of age or sex or anything other than religion, and not even understand why they are doing it... I have no empathy for them, and I have no sympathy for them.

Each person they kill has nothing, no life, they are just dead, atoms now free to do other things, for nothing meaningful at all.

It's also a shame that our own governments are more than used to writing off so many previously innocent, and now simply finished lives, as "Collateral" Simple statistics to them ; )

cause the rat:
So how many schools shootings were done by muslims? Honestly, if people would just put some thought behind this stuff......  We need those checks for everyone. It'll keep guns in the hands of my friends. Hopefully out of the hands of idiots.

Foxpup:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on December 09, 2015, 04:11:30 pm ---If the U.S. has a so called "no fly" list for Muslims and other extreme people, then why can't we also have a "no guns" list for suspected Muslims who might be radicalised?

--- End quote ---
Because it violates the first two Constitutional Amendments simultaneously. You can't do that. You have to violate them one at a time, or else people might realise that what you're doing is illegal.

--- Quote from: Kobuk on December 09, 2015, 04:11:30 pm ---just the so called assault style weapons that can kill mass amounts of people.

--- End quote ---
Assault style weapons? I didn't realise painting a gun black makes it more dangerous.

--- Quote from: Kobuk on December 09, 2015, 04:11:30 pm ---But it must be mentioned that if this guy keeps touting his anti-Muslim rhetoric and wants to ban all Muslims from entering the country, we could find ourselves with even more bloodshed on American soil as more Muslims in the U.S. become angrier with his rhetoric and/or could potentially get guns and create more terrorist attacks on American soil.

--- End quote ---
And finding a different way to make Muslims angrier at the U.S. won't?

cause the rat:
I believe what's called an assault weapon is one that has a large clip. The gun itself can fire continuously until the clip is emptied. Guess you could paint it any color you want.  :)

I'm for checking. I'm against banning any kind of riffle. An assault riffle in the hands of a peaceful and sane person is no more dangerous than an icecream cone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version