Author Topic: Notifications  (Read 4155 times)

Offline Aakosir

• In Vino Veritas
  • Female
Notifications
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:56:43 am »
On other sites there is usually some type of User Control Panel where we can go to see if people have responded to our threads or if we have been quoted. I have a hard time keeping track of where I post and this was a great tool for me. I was curious if it would be possible to create something like this here. Just a simple "Your Created Threads" and "Someone Quoted You" or something. I know there is a "Your Posts" page so maybe it could be added on to there.
My FA

I come and I go

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Notifications
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:10:11 am »
If you to go your profile, then look and layout, you can change the theme. The theme "Furtopia_info" will put a box at the top of your screen that looks like this:

There is a link on there that says "show new replies to your posts".

Is that the sort of thing you wanted?

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:58:59 am »
There's also the "Turn notifications on when you post or reply to a topic." setting in the Notifications and Email subsection of your profile.  The forums have a email notification feature; it can be enabled for any individual thread by clicking the "Notify" link at the top right or the top left of any forum thread, and the exact mechanics of notifications can be tweaked through various profile settings.  Enabling the setting I described would automatically enable notifications for any thread you create or post in from that point on.  This is spammier than what most members would want, but it sounds like it might be exactly what you're looking for.

(*edit*) The Info theme Loc brought up adds some extra statistics and links to the standard UI, and it also presents a timestamp on every page load.  Some members prefer that theme for those reasons.  It also appears to provide an interface to some functionality that isn't presented anywhere in the standard forum theme.  I think both the "Show new replies to your posts." and "Mark ALL messages as read" features are like this; I wasn't aware of either of those features until just now, and I don't think they're available through the interface of the standard theme.  The "Show unread posts since last visit." and "Show Own Posts" features are accessible through the standard theme through the bottom of the main page and your own profile, respectively.

If you find that you like the "Show new replies to your posts." feature but dislike the rest of the theme, you can just bookmark the URL of that link, and you'll be able to access that feature from the standard theme, even though the standard theme doesn't provide a link to that feature.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:34:32 pm by redyoshi49q »
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:04:39 pm »

Offline Aakosir

• In Vino Veritas
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:32 am »
If you to go your profile, then look and layout, you can change the theme. The theme "Furtopia_info" will put a box at the top of your screen that looks like this:

There is a link on there that says "show new replies to your posts".

Is that the sort of thing you wanted?

Yes, that is it. But the "replies to your posts" is a little misleading. I thought that would be the "someone quoted you" thing, but it's not.
My FA

I come and I go