Author Topic: Jet's Short Story Challenge!  (Read 13586 times)

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
Jet's Short Story Challenge!
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:28:54 pm »
I have decided to begin a sort of Project. This one is about my writing. I will take in a word from you guys, then write a short story inspired by said word. I am asking you guys to post a word here, then I will respond with a short story. This is supposed to help me practice my writing while under some restrictions, while practicing coming up with an inspiration to write from anything. I only ask that you words be something interesting. Please don't post words like "and" or "but." Think of the most interesting word you can come up with, then we can see what I come up with in my writing. Here's an example. One of my friends, Jessica, came up with the word "Aviator" for me to write on. So here is my story for Aviator...

---Simple Assignment---

A simple assignment. That’s what they told us. We were just supposed to fly in, drop our load, then get the Hell outta there. Simple. “No enemy resistance,” they said. Boy, were they right. No enemy resistance whatsoever. In fact, there was nobody there. Not even the troops we were meant to resupply. Now I’m lying here on the ground, my plane scattered in pieces around myself. I remember I was so proud to join the United States Air Force. The Gryphons. That’s what they called us. A strike team that could fly halfway ‘round the world at a moment’s notice. So many cities, bombed. So many fields, covered with the receivers of my guns. So many enemy aircraft, turned to charred heaps of twisted metal falling from the sky. So many troops deployed. So many soldiers, sustained with much needed food and supplies. The Gryphons did everything. And I was a Gryphon. I still am a Gryphon. And I will die a gryphon. I stare up at the sky. Planes, with the same insignia, fire upon each other in a desperate attempt to remain airborne. Brother fighting brother. The ultimate betrayal. A man walks into my view. His uniform holds a patch. The patch of a fellow Gryphon. A brother. Accompanying this patch is a cloth bar, upon which, USA shines proudly in the afternoon sunlight. I spit at the man. My efforts are feeble, as I am too weak to project my saliva any farther than my chin. The man hangs his head, places his pistol against my temple, and fires.

And there you have it. Any ways I can improve my writing are also accepted responses. This is just a thread to give me some practice writing, and maybe get you guys involved in my process as well. Again, make the words good. Post an animal, or some place, or an activity. Just post a word you would like me to write about! :D
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
Re: Jet's Short Story Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:20:48 pm »
luminescence

Offline Mylo

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:26:36 pm »
Hmmm...I can think of a whole bunch of words I'd like to see you expand upon in your own unique way... ;)

Let's start with: chrome

((on a side note, I'd think it'd be awesome if other members can post short stories to this thread based on the word before. For example, I write "a" and you write a story about "a." Then your write "b" and someone writes on "b" and so on. Anyways, start writing! :D))

EDIT: PsychotixxFox beat me to it... :P

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:50:05 pm »
Moved from Artwork Techniques to Furry Fiction as the topic is better suited here.

Offline DarkDemon

• It's not popuri!!
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:33:11 pm »
((Whoa! Just read that short little story, gotta say, EPIC! :D))
My word: Murder ((Oooooh! Scary words! Muahahahahaha!))
I just got mai computer fixed!! :D :3
Surrender the peanuts!
ScourgeFur on DeviantArt! :D
:goldlaugh:

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:31:42 pm »
Headshot! (good enough?)
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 03:53:16 am »
luminescence
Here it is, my story on Luminescence. This, believe it or not, was my first attempt at third person. First person narratives just come to me, but I decided to change it up... this is a challenge anyhow, right? :)

---Life Light---

Young Matt enters the room first. He walks into the yellow cube with the fiery excitement a ten year old boy like him would have if they were about to receive a magnificent gift. And he is. Grandpa slowly walks in after the eager child and takes a seat in the chair that lies at the far end of the small room. The only objects in this room are that chair, a large trunk, and some cardboard boxes. “Matt, bring that old trunk over here for me, will you?” Matt eagerly grabs the trunk and drags it to his Grandfather. The trunk has the appearance of being about a hundred years old, but it has been in this family for a much greater time than that. The hinges are coming out, and the ancient leather is losing its hold on the frayed wood beneath. The trunk stands at two feet, and measures two feet across as well. The last dimension of this box is less than the others by a foot. “It looks like a treasure chest, Gramps!” Matt exclaims as his Grandfather feels his old friend with the intensity of a young man in his eyes. “Hush now, Matt. Pull up one of those boxes over there, and join me for the opening.” Matt follows the elder’s orders. The old man slides the chest so it stands between Matt and himself. Matt’s grandfather unclips the iron latches, and pulls back the lid slowly, as Matt excitedly shakes in his makeshift seat. The lid falls, revealing the interior of mysterious old trunk. The thing is bare. Void of all items, save one. The old man pulls out the only item in the chest. A singular pea-sized bead. The grandfather plucks the small black thing from its container, and rolls it around in his wrinkly, old hands. The grandfather hands the bead to Matt, who brings it close to his eyes in amazement. The small sphere glows with such passion. The blue light illuminates the whole room with the eerie glow. It shines as if the souls of all the past ancestors of this family were contained within its limits, creating the glow of life. The grandfather explains the importance of this small bead to Matt. He agrees to maintain this treasure for the rest of his life, until his first-born grandson reaches the age of ten. At that time, Matt says he will pass the object down to him, and continue the tradition.

There you have it. And, I knew that was going to happen. I knew I was gonna get flooded with eager contestants to challenge me to write, but that's good. Come at me Bros!...and Bro-ettes....I will continue and see if I can write a story for all the words! :D

Again, anything you guys see, such as a flaw that I continue to replicate, feel free to tell me about it, or suggest someways to improve.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:42:41 am »
Hmmm...I can think of a whole bunch of words I'd like to see you expand upon in your own unique way... ;)

Let's start with: chrome
Ok, here is Chrome. A sort of past tense, transitioning very briefly into present tense, told from third person. Feels to me more like one of those excerpts you would hear that explains the history of a game or movie, before the actual playing of said item. Either way, here it is.

---Chrome Rush---

Chrome. A simple element to understand. Hard, malleable, resilient, and very colorful. Greatly valued by mankind ever since the Gold and Silver Extinction of 4013. The world had entered The Depressed Era in 4027. Never before had anyone heard of such a steep drop in progression. Massive unemployment rates. Millions of people lived out in the woods, illegally hunting any species of animals they could get their hands on. Millions others decided, unwisely, to brave the storm of this worldwide economic collapse. Chrome saved the world. Or so it seemed. In 4033, Jer Regernald found the biggest load of Chrome ever seen with human eyes. Regernald became an instant millionaire with his findings. People from all over rushed in to claim land and make their fortunes on this mother lode. People who found the precious material, found their lives to be instantly improved to a degree that would appear heaven-like to any believer. Anyone who were misfortunate enough to not find any Chrome, spent the rest of their lives scraping the scraps of life from the bottom of Hell’s barrel. Greed. That’s what started the events that occur today. It wasn’t long before the first man was killed over his find of Chrome. A violent end to a desperate miner, dealt by a merciless individual who couldn’t wait another day in poverty. The murder uprooted a brewing debate over the even spreading of Chrome’s wealth. Jump forward another ten years, and we have today, June 9, 4054. Today, an army of soldiers are heading to a small town, built in the rush to prospect the Chrome. There have been reports of severe Chrome Army activity there. The Distributionists have been at war with the Chrome Army for four years now. Thousands are killed on both sides every month, over this small, shiny metal. Chrome.

Another one bites the dust! :D  On to the next challenge...

As with everything I do, feel free to comment or suggest anything.

PLUR

Offline ChristopherLion

• Species: Lion
  • Male
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 10:37:15 am »
Sunrise
Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

FFL6arsw A-- C- D H+ M- P+ R+ T++++ W Z? Sm- RLE a++ cl d? e* f h++++ iw j- p- sm#

My FA site and art: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/christopherd./

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 03:22:40 pm »
((Whoa! Just read that short little story, gotta say, EPIC! :D))
My word: Murder ((Oooooh! Scary words! Muahahahahaha!))
And here it is... Murder! This is definitely something I have never written before. So, ya...here you go.

---Suicide by Cop---

“No! No, Harry! Please don’t!” she will say to me. That’s exactly what she will say to me. And then I will say, “No. You had your chance, and you wasted it with somebody else. You should’ve stayed with me. Now I have to kill you, Amanda.” And, of course, she’ll plead some more and beg me for mercy. But I am all out of mercy, so I’ll tell her, “I have no mercy.” Then, I will place my pistol against her head and wish her a good night. Then I will blow her brains out. It will feel so good! To finally kill the person who has made my life a living hell. Oh! I’ve wanted this for so long now. Tonight, tonight is when I will do it. Tonight I will call the cops and send them her way, then I will run over to Amanda’s perfect little house where she lives with her perfect little boyfriend. I hope Terry is there, too. To shoot that smug little, oh! I would love to kill him off with her. Serves him right anyways. What kind of man runs off with another man’s wife? That’s just despicable. He deserves to die as well. Anyways, I will call the cops and then go over an finish her, and hopefully him, too. But I can’t go to jail. No way! I wouldn’t survive in jail. That’s why I’ll call the cops first, to ensure they are there for phase two of my plan. After I kill them, I will walk outside. The cops of course will tell me to drop the gun and put my hands up. But I won’t. I will point the gun at them. If that doesn’t work, then I will fire at their vehicles. I won’t try to kill them, I couldn’t live with myself if I killed a police officer. After all, my dad was a cop. No. I will just hit their cars, but that should be enough. If that for some reason doesn’t work, then I will take out one or two of them. But only if it is completely necessary for them to shoot back. That’s all I need them to do, is shoot back at me. With any luck, one bullet should hit my head or something. Yup. This is a foolproof plan. Solid as steel. Now all I have to do is go do it. My gun is ready, all the bullets are locked and loaded. Now for the phone call…

On to my next challenge.

PLUR

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 04:00:54 pm »
Headshot! (good enough?)
Yay! BOOM! Headshot! Anyways, the first thing that popped into my head was that movie, "Shooter." I dont remember the actors, but that was what was in my head, so I wrote something almost somewhat close to something that may be considered relevant to that movie. So here it is.

---Headshot---

There he is… the man I’ve been tracking for a week now. My partner and I have hunted down every lead into the dead ends we expected them to lead to, but hoped for better. But now, it seems, our lead was solid. Its sunrise now, the beginning of a new day, and with our actions, a new era. So much pressure to place on two men. The future of this world, resting on our shoulders. Up here on this hill, I can feel the freedom in the air. The oppressive war could be all over with what we do today. I look through my scope, and see the man who stands a mile away as if he were close enough to shake my hand. “Wind speed, 20 miles, coming from the west,” my spotter tells me. I adjust my sight appropriately. No way can I afford to miss this man. He is the leader of the Nolegha System. This man has been fighting our armies for almost thirty years now. It could all end here, on the planet of Thella. Ironic it would end here, though. Thella is a peaceful planet. The war has not touched here yet. What we do today will mark the first act of war here for the last thousand years, and the last for another thousand. The man in my sights walks up to his podium, where he plans to convince these people to fight for his side. No doubt they will refuse. The Thellas are nothing like the inhabitants of the Wrenker Planetary system. Those savages left our cause last month. But the Thellas won’t sway from their decision of neutrality. They would rather line up and die before they picked up a rifle and fought for someone. So if anything, we are saving them from imminent doom. This single bullet, contained in my rifle, holds billions of souls’ futures within it. “We’re on in five,” my partner tells me. I raise my finger to the trigger, and focus harder on my target. The man is raising his fists and yelling into the crowd. This looks like a very passionate speech from here. His grey body against the surrounding orange scenery makes him an easy target. The hat on his head is very large, and holds the insignia of their star system. A sort of many legged insect, with large claws and pinchers. I position my crosshairs just above that hat, and slightly to the left of it. “Take the shot,” the man beside me says calmly. I take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger. Boom! The sonic explosion recoils against my shoulder. I stabilize my rifle, looking at the man again. He raises his fists again, then drops them to his sides. He makes a motion towards the crowd, pointing at them. Obviously telling them to accept that the war will devour them if they do not join the Nolegha cause. His hat flies off his head. The walls behind him are plastered in a mist of black liquid. The man, now with no hat, or the accompanying body part, slumps against his podium. “Headshot,” my partner verifies my thoughts. I smile at a job well done. The inhabitants of this planet are sure to be safe now. As is the rest of the universe. I pack up my rifle, and my spotter collects his equipment as well. We walks off away from our hiding spot. He places his arm over my shoulder and repeats the words with an excited tone of accomplishment, “Headshot.”

I like it...So on to another challenge! :D

PLUR

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 04:41:51 pm »
Sunrise
Well, I really like this one, actually. I started off deciding to write about a happy sunrise watching between a dog and his human. I did write it from the perspective of the dog in first person. It was going good, until I realized one thing about dogs I forgot before....

---A Dog’s Life---

What did he call it again… a sunrise? Yes, I think that’s what it was. A sunrise. My human says it’s the most beautiful thing in this world. He wanted to watch it with me before, but said he was always too busy. He told me that a sunrise happens every day, but I have never seen anything like what he describes to me. A dog like me likes to sleep, and he says I always sleep right through it. But I’m wide awake right now, and so is he. He sits on the edge of the concrete stairs that take us to the inside of the human house. I nudge my nose under his arm, and he moves it to let me in. His touch is warm in the early morning. “look out that way, towards the horizon,” my human tells me. I stare in the direction he does, eagerly awaiting the beauty he named sunrise. He explained it as the whole world stopping for the color of life to flood into the dreams of the sleeping. He said it’s like an explosion of colors. Things called reds and splintering pinks that dance across the heavens. I have never heard of anything like this before. Few humans are awake to watch this miracle, he told me once. I want to experience this sight for myself. “Here it comes,” he whispers in a low voice, as if the scene itself were to be scared away if it knew anyone was watching. I keep perfectly still and watch the mountains. Then my human lets out an “awe” as the event comes to a life in front of us. My human shivers around in excitement. He hugs me closer and pets me firmly. I continue to stare at the mountains, wanting desperately to see the colors he has described. I begin to whimper at the sky. “It is beautiful, isn’t it?” the human holding me asks. I do not understand. He begins to point out where to scenery is changing in the sky. My eyes dart from one section of the sky to another, still trying to envision the details of a sunrise. I see nothing. The sun, a hot ball of grey light, rises higher over the mountains. My human begins to cry from the magnificent scene. He hugs me tighter. I, too, weep in response to the sunrise. The indescribable splendor of the sky escapes me with every glance. I cry out for one glimpse of a fraction of what my human has seen. He stands up, and says, “Well… it’s over buddy. Let’s go back inside now.” I refuse to leave. My human leaves me there to cry in ponderous wonder of what the magnificent view I have missed out on contained. I stay there, staring at the mountains, until the night has shut out the light that allows me to see the horizon. I then trudge back into my home. My human greets me with a smile. I walk past him and slump near the fireplace. I go to sleep, depressed of the colors my human has described earlier. My dreams are filled with visions. Visions that I imagine can only be a small percentage of the amazing scenery my human is so inspired be. The sunrise.

...dogs can't see colors! Sad. Anyways, as you probably can tell, I am trying to do these stories in order of the posters. So there is no cheating for me and skipping a word I don't have an idea for and moving to the next word. This has been fun so far, and it looks like I finished what posts have been made so far. I look forward to another challenger. and don't forget, all comments and critiques are welcome. Who challenges me to write next? :D

PLUR

Offline Mylo

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 06:50:20 pm »
Nice job so far Jet  :)
Here's another one: camera

Offline Hashira

• they/their, she/her
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:12 pm »
These are very very good! How about: Spy! 8)

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 03:57:57 am »
These are very very good! How about: Spy! 8)
Hey, sorry I haven't posted in some time. School and such. I did do the story for Camera, but it is on paper and at my house, and I am in Vegas over the weekend. This story, however I did on my computer all the way, so I decided to quite procrastinating and post something. So this is what I have for your word Carter, Spy. Enjoy. :)

---The Mission---

Thirty minutes. I have thirty minutes to reach my target. The truck I am lying under has finally stopped leaking. Good thing, I hate oil in my fur. I laugh to myself. I am the only one with fur. Well, other than the animals I see from time to time. But I’m much more… what did they call them? Human? Yes, that sounds about right. Human. I’m too human to be an animal. Silly humans. Most of the ones I know are fine. But most I encounter on my missions are so weak. They tend to have very fragile bodies. It doesn’t take much for me to break their bones. I guess that’s why they made me. They still won’t tell my if I was human before and underwent some change that caused a memory loss of my previous human self, or if I were a test tube lab experiment. Either way, I’m the perfect soldier, so they say. I used to run team operations. It turns out some people have a problem working with an eight foot, biologically augmented, humanoid fox. Due to their discomforts, I’ve been assigned to solo espionage missions for the past six months. It’s not all that bad, though. Humans only slow me down. Speaking of slowing down, I think I’ve spent enough time hiding under this truck.

I roll to the right until I am out from under the vehicle. Rising to my feet, I can see I am in some garage. I make a beeline for the only door leading into the building attached to my current position. I enter the room, checking my watch once inside. Ten minutes. Running as fast as I can, I make it to a room with lettering on it that I don’t understand. I recognize the patterns from my briefing. This must be the room. I slowly enter the room, and slip into a nearby dark corner. I’m immediately soaked in shadow. Perfect. A man comes down the stairs in front of me and starts toward the door that leads to the room near me. It’s probably best if I kill this man now, so I won’t have to sneak around him later. The man doesn’t carry much in the way of weaponry. Just a standard pistol still in its holster. He doesn’t suspect a thing. A s he moves past my corner, I being to crawl forward. I’m low to the ground, ready to fly. I aim for the man’s neck. My ears are forces to perk up as I hear a low humming coming from the roof behind me. The sound of metal vibrating as it rubs against more metal. I press my back against the wall again, and look up. I see a security camera, rotating to the left. When it reaches the end of its field of vision, now facing the door the man wants to enter, it stops and with it the sound dies out. I forgot about cameras.
Not a big deal. The man enters the room as the camera watches. After the door shuts, the camera naturally begins its rotation to the right. Once it’s out of range to see the door, I enter it swiftly. Once I enter the room, I see the man I wanted to kill, along with two others. They are standing by some desk, talking amongst each other. The room is brightly lit. I dive for a nearby desk, and hide from the light that floods the rest of the room. I don’t think they saw me. I slowly crawl on my stomach until I am on the other side of their table. They are talking in a language I don’t understand. It’s probably the same language that the lettering on the door was in.

I prepare for the attack. I pull out my pistol, which is equipped of course with a standard issue silencer. This should make things easy. I look at the men’s feet and determine where they are standing relative to each other before I strike. One man in front of me, one right beside him, and the final man near his right a ways standing next to the corner of the table to my left. I back up a little and prepare to leap. I thrust myself forward, propelling my body over the table. My jaw latches onto the middle man’s throat. I reach out for the man to my right and clutch his throbbing neck with my massive hand. I raise my left hand and fire four shots near where I predicted the last man to be. I hear his body slump to the ground. The man I bit is now starting to fall as well, so I release my grip. A distinctly familiar metallic flavor slithers down my throat. I turn to my friend that I have around the throat. I raise him off the ground and, while his feet kick at my knees, I shoot the man in the eye and drop his lifeless body.

Easy stuff. There’s a big dresser behind where the men were standing. I run over and search the thing top to bottom. It’s not long before I find what I was sent to retrieve. A small black box with red markings on it. I place the object in my pocket and switch on my small earpiece. “Strawberries obtained, sir,” I say, remembering the code word for the box. The voice relays back to my within seconds, “Great work. Now go make a smoothie.” I switch the earpiece off again, according to previous commands, and make my way for the stairs. I remember the camera and wait for it to pass before sprinting up the spiral staircase.

Once up I see several doors. None of them are what I want. I search around for a while, but I can’t find the door where my “smoothie” is located. I hate these situations. Most of the people I find doing this are so helpless and weak. I can’t stand having to protect them when they can’t even stay hidden and keep up with me. Why is every hostage so....so…human? This floor is obviously not where the man I am looking for is, so I head up another flight of stairs and search there. Then I see the door with the markings I am looking for. I pull my pistol and enter the room. It opens with more rooms inside, all the doors being open. This makes it easy for me to slip into the rooms quickly.

Running form room to, I keep my eyes peeled for any enemies. They should be towards the back, near the hostage, but you can never be too safe. As I enter a new room, a man starts to walk into it. I hide behind the open door until he passes. I grab his head and press it against my gun’s barrel. I fire, then drop the body behind the same door I sought cover. In the next room, there are two more enemies, which are easily disposed of. I find the room I need to enter, closed and locked.

I press my ear up against the door. On the other side of the wood, I hear two men talking back and forth. I pinpoint their position in the room. One man to my left, maybe about three feet out. Another about two or three feet from him to the right. I place the barrel of my gun against the door at an angle to the left. Then I transition it to the right the appropriate degrees. I repeat this three more times to memorize the movements.

I place the barrel of the gun on the door in the first position. I fire, then immediately move to the second position, firing once there. I take a step back and kick in the door. I raise my gun in case the two men are alive. They are slumped over each other in a pile of blood. “Good calculations,” I say aloud.

Then I see the hostage. Her bright orange hair shines through the room. She stands and bites off her restraints. “Thanks. I thought I was gonna have to take care of them on my own,” she says. She smiles at me, her whit cheeks stretching to accommodate her teeth. She stands as tall as me. I am at eye level with her. My ears perk up from a noise behind me. I notice that her ears also perk toward the noise. Her lips curve into a snarl at the enemies that are forming in the rooms I cleared earlier. Her tail swats at the air as she gets ready to pounce.

A man grabs my shoulder to pull me to the ground. The hostage before me leaps and gets the man around the neck. The fox lady then turns her attention to another man, this time taking his rifle. She tears through the enemy reinforcements and continues through the rooms. I can’t believe it. Another agent like me. I recollect myself and chase the fox hostage down.

It is relatively long, in fact most likely the longest I will write for this. But I liked to write it and I think it turned out good. Thanks for the word and I will post "Camera" tomorrow when I get back to Pahrump. :P  Comments are as always acceptable.

PLUR

Offline Hashira

• they/their, she/her
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 08:05:55 pm »
That... was awesome! I'll remember those tricks when I am a secret agent xD

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 10:17:51 pm »
That... was awesome! I'll remember those tricks when I am a secret agent xD
I played tons of Tom Clancy, especially Splinter Cell, as a kid :P

Nice job so far Jet  :)
Here's another one: camera
Well when I actually did write this about two weeks ago it was hard. Spent about four days thinking. And this is what I came up with. Leave it to Mylo to choose a word I couldn't find a story to match. :P  Well I procrastinated long enough. Here is... Camera!

---A Picture’s Worth A Thousand Words---

HI. I’m Kayla, and this is how my day went. It was on the way to second hour at my high school. Just so you know, in case you didn’t, I’m a senior here. Anyways, it was in second period that I realized I dropped my phone on the way to class. I was so scared I got up and ran out to search for it, without the teacher’s permission. After several hours of desperate searching , I still couldn’t find it. I was terrified. My phone had several pictures of me and my best friend Holding hands and kissing. No way that I could let any of my friends find out. I didn’t even sleep last night from all the worrying. That was yesterday. This morning, when I got to school, I got a copy of the school’s newspaper. The front page headlines read, “Popular Girl Discovered to be Lesbian!” My face, and that of my friend, was plastered next to those evil words. This was horrible. I haven’t show up for any of my classes so far. This was a major problem. Was a problem. But now I know how to fix it. That is why I brought this rope. I finish writing the letter and fold the paper four times. After placing my note in my pocket, I peer over the stairs’ railing. It’s a long way down. Perfect. I tie the rope to the railing and climb to the top of the railing, holding the rope tight. I make myself a necklace to wear from the other end of the rope. “I’m sorry, Kassandra,” I say as I take a deep breath and jump.

Little sad... but that is my style it seems. Keep throwing them words at me. And don't be afraid to criticize me too, other than grammar stuff, I don't really edit these things before posting, although I should. (:

PLUR

Offline Mylo

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 10:25:14 pm »
Aye...the one for camera was so depressing...  I really wish it had ended a different way...  :(

Next word: Trend

Offline Wanderer

• Keep your eyes on the horizon
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 10:26:46 pm »
Well thar was sort of depressing. But at least it's a story.
Heres one for you: journey
"Journey for you may never know where the road takes you."-Wanderer

"Tis not the destination that matters, but tis the journey that makes us"- Wanderer

"Destined to travel the roads of time, the Wanderer walks the path with prejudice, ready for the masters of death that lie before him."- Jet

Offline Cheet.I.Ahhh

• Can always run faster
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 11:45:38 pm »
The Word of the day is: Angelic

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 01:16:53 am »
Ok. I really like this one because of its pretense. You may recognize some elements here from somewhere else. *cough cough* I wrote this in the hospital visiting my mother. She is having back surgery and such, so I decided to start writing in my notebook, and this is what came from it. Just a thought, but America... Can we please make hospitals less creepy!

---In the Eyes of the Beholder---

He entered the school. This man. His face hangs loosely off the bones beneath. His droopy, grey eyes wander around, looking from one door to the next, mapping his eventual course. This man was a fashion designer. He made some of the most popular trends come into reality. That was a long time ago, though. Since then, he has lost his touch. This man, once a profoundly successful fashion designer, has spent the last two years scraping by on cheap fabric and plastic accessories. He is here today as a final attempt to recapture his previous fame. This man came to this high school to take a survey of the students, to try to draw inspiration for his next project. The man has arrived rather late, unfortunately, due to a severe car accident choking up the road to the school. It’s almost the end of last period by now. The man decides to start his surveys upstairs, as all he can see down where he is are a bunch of Math classes. He starts his way to the stairs when a woman’s voice stops him cold.

A child, most likely a student at this school, apologizes to another student named Kassandra rather loudly. The man is forced to stumble back as a girl jumps down from the second floor. A crudely fastened rope catches her midair. Stunned, the man gawks at the recently deceased. A fairly attractive young girl. The body twists back and forth in front of the man. He stares at her. What he notices most, above all else, is the Clothes she is wearing. Collectively, the outfit is mediocre, but the man can view the articles of clothing separately in his mind. He sees the shirt, with some minor adjustments and possibly some added patterns. The pants, add a belt and trim them down some. The man’s ticket to another fame filled, successful chapter in his life dangles on a rope before him. The man walks up to the girl. He stops just out of reach and looks around nervously. The school is eerily empty, as though these two are its only inhabitants. He decides no one can see him, so he proceeds to desperately remove the student’s shirt. He folds the garment under his own. The pants slip off easily enough. As the man folds the pants, a folded piece of paper falls out of the pocket and lands softly at the man’s feet. He bends down, picking up the paper, and unfolds it to read its message. He reads aloud an excerpt, summarizing the events of this child’s final days. Something about a camera and a newspaper and a best friend lover. The man hears a bell. Children flood the halls. The man walks briskly out of the school, throwing away the desperately written suicide note, leaving the girl hanging in her undergarments without an explanation.

So as you may have guessed, this story is a sort of continuation of my previous story for "Camera." This gave me an idea. Would a book that was just a collection of short stories that were interconnected in some way, like these two, be a good idea. I may write one sooner or later, but that idea just came into my head when I started writing this story. Thanks for the opportunity, and dont be afraid to critique my work. I dont mind someone saying where I fall and where I am doing good.

Also... maybe I write too many sad stories... sorry guys but thats just what comes to mind when I start writing. Tragedies have always been the most fascinating writing to me...

PLUR

Offline Mylo

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 01:36:11 am »
Also... maybe I write too many sad stories... sorry guys but thats just what comes to mind when I start writing. Tragedies have always been the most fascinating writing to me...

That's not a bad thing...that's like saying Stephen King writes too many horror stories :P

Hmmm...this piece really got me thinking.  In fact, I don't quite know what to think.  It just seemed so abrupt and, I guess, cold.  It was a little hard to understand at first because I didn't believe what I was seeing.  But now that I think about it, it parodies desperation in such an odd way...and that man is still a mystery to me.  Very interesting, thought-provoking piece.

And about your interlocking stories idea.  The thing that comes to mind is this novel, Cloud Atlas.  The Wachowskis are making it into a movie for release supposedly this October. ^.^  But back to your idea...that would be an awesome project to undertake (but I know you've got Project Tango and your as yet unnamed Anthro project in the works).  I'd really like to see you do something like that!   

Next word: Asia

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 07:42:50 am »
Jet..you're mad XD.
this is such a crazy challenge you're taking on here and you are pulling it off so darn well! big thumbs up from me  ;)
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 12:04:59 pm »
How about the fear of many things.  "Polyphobia"

It's a rabbit thing.  :o
oldrabbit.com

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 12:39:01 am »
Well thar was sort of depressing. But at least it's a story.
Heres one for you: journey
Hey, Finally got some time to sit down and write some. Got The story for journey done, and I will apologize ahead of time. This is vent art. Yes there is vent art in literature. I crashed yesterday and this is sort of a venting of what my crash was about. Sorry if you dont like reading this sort of stuff, but I feel your best stuff comes out when you are at your lowest, so Im not redoing this. This is what I thought of in my mental state when I heard Journey. Thanks Wanderer, for posting this. This story helped me some... Here it is, Journey

---Journey of Life---

Look at these things. Humans. The way they go about living. Millions of them. Billions of them. They “live” their lives. They are born and start with innocence. Risen from the dirt by those who gave life to them. They actually believe they can give life! Children. Nurtured into adapt adults. Then it’s off to work. The newly formed worker men toil day in and day out. Turning soul. Melting Earth. Crafting machines. All their life. Their brief expanse of existence withered away through work. And for what. The benefit of others. But there is no benefit. All of them work all their lives for the next generation. So they can live easier. But the next generation only follows in their ancestors’ deep-set footsteps. There’s always work to be done. And it’s all so pointless. So profoundly without use. And if there ever should be a time of slow production, the time old human practice rises from their perceivable Hell. War. The war demands more production. And thus there is work to be done again. More melting of Earth. And after that war, reconstruction. They build again. Humans rise from the smoke and dwell on their instincts to build. They gather the rubble and piece back together the dismembered puzzle of their society.

And when all this building and rebuilding is complete, they end. Their entire lives. All their work and turmoil. All the building and unbuilding. All progression leading up to the eventual and irrevocable end. The sudden stop to their lives, brought about in numerous ways. Some stop work simply because their bodies stop work. Others fall victim to the very things they built. Many die out in their efforts to tear down during their practice of war. Yet they do it. Humans voluntarily live this way. Live, work, die. Live, work, die. Pointless. An endless myriad of work and death. But they do it. They enjoy it. And why? Faith. They believe in something. Not more work. They believe in relaxation after the end. That’s why they slave away. They work away their short lives to achieve peace. And endless, worry free existence. They actually believe this. That life is an odyssey with the final destination being an eternity of karmic pleasure. But that keeps them going. They work. They die. They believe. Thus is this, the journey of life.

Again, venting and stuff. Im better now I think. Moving on...

PLUR