Author Topic: Mylo's Short Story Challenge!  (Read 15373 times)

Offline Mylo

Re: Mylo's Short Story Challenge!
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 09:32:01 pm »
Old Rabbit: With this story, I wanted to capture the fear of being in the battlefield. It's difficult to imagine unless you've seen it for yourself, and really, I can't imagine what it would be like to be in this situation, where there is too much going on and you need both luck and skill to survive...

Carter: Thanks for reading these stories :) I'm glad you liked them.

Jet: I don't even know what to say to your comments other than thank you.  :-[ I'm so glad you really connected with this one, and in the future, I would like to expand this story so that I can explore more of the themes. It didn't come from a novel, though...originally I thought of the dissonance of a soldier killing civilians in war, but then, I wanted to explore the dissonance of a horrified soldier who didn't know what he was getting into, the dissonance of choosing between his own life and the lives of his fellow soldiers. Again, thanks for starting the short story thread and inspiring me to do one of my own! I haven't written since last year, so it's really awesome to be writing again and with other people. :) There is so much activity in the writing forum now! :D

RedYoshi: I'd actually like to know what you had in mind for dissonance. These new words seem very interesting...I find that the more stories I write, the more I have to go to the Internet to research the various things I write about. Interesting how you gave me two words to choose from as well; I'll have to do some considerable research when I get to your word(s).

Ok, How about trying this word:  Yukon

This word was pretty tough to come up with a story for since the word was so specific. But anyways, here's the story for Yukon.  Next up is pack.

White pines. Matte sky. Permafrost.
Among the thick snow, an arctic fox crawled briskly searching for his meal.  The air was still.  He camouflaged with the snow with his rather dense coat of white fur; his black eyes were his only feature that stood out amongst the terrain. Quiet. The fox would walk a few feet, then stop, then repeat. Every now and then, he'd turn his head around and perk his ears up because of a stray sound; perhaps some snow or a branch had fallen, or maybe the breeze would blow. The fox hadn't found food that day, and the sky was already dimming. He continued his search.
Suddenly, he stopped cold. He was like stone, the only movement evident in his ears. This was not snow falling; this was his next meal, and he knew exactly where it was. He quickly and quietly zoned in on where the sound was coming from, unbeknownst to his prey, and weaved through the pines, whose needles laced the ground. The white fox climbed up a small hill and slowed down, quietly looking over. Down in the crevice below the hill, a fire was going out, emitting small crackling sounds now and then. The fox was puzzled, but realized that what he heard was not his food, but this small fire. There had been more and more of those fires in the mountains lately.
The fox went up to examine the fire, which had almost ceased offering a usable warmth. It crackled, and the fox became startled and lost interest in the fire.  He retraced his steps, looked back, then moved on to continue his hunt, the routine walk through the snow and the pines. But little did he know that the fire had been created by a human, a human who had seen the arctic fox scurrying away from the dying fire. The human was also on a hunt, not for gold like he had been for the entirety of that year, but for food. He was on the long journey home, a failure, back to the mundanities of his former life. But if he was to survive the journey, he needed to kill the fox before it could escape from him.
So, he took out his gun and aimed at the fox. Upon cocking it, the fox stopped in his tracks, his ears perked up, and he turned around staring straight at where the man was kneeling. His beard had greyed considerably since he arrived in the north. He aimed again, matching the notches on the barrel to the fox's torso. The fox didn't know what the man was doing, but he was apprehensive; he could sense that the man could see him. The man inhaled. The fox turned his head towards another sound among the pines. His tail twitched. Then, the man blew through his mouth and squeezed the trigger. The gun fired, emitting a sound that shook the snow from the tree above the man, and sending a bullet straight through the fox's chest. The fox was propelled backwards a few inches and landed in the snow. His black eyes and his blood stood out amongst the snow, red amongst white, the sky darkening to a dull grey. The man got up to gather the fox, so that he could live another day among the permafrost and continue his long journey home.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:54:35 pm by Mylo »

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:36 pm »
RedYoshi: I'd actually like to know what you had in mind for dissonance. These new words seem very interesting...I find that the more stories I write, the more I have to go to the Internet to research the various things I write about. Interesting how you gave me two words to choose from as well; I'll have to do some considerable research when I get to your word(s).

A large part of the answer to the first question is something I talked about on the IRC several months ago. Below is a quote of the beginning of that conversation (things said by others irrelevant to this point have been edited out):

(8:50:26 PM) ***Hiiro wonders if the Yoshi can shoot magic blasty thingies at stuff and blow it up
(8:51:12 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: hiiro: no, quite the opposite
(8:56:16 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: hiiro, though I don' t necessarily have the best writing ability, I have an active imagination in some ways
(8:56:38 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: I' ve developed a magic system that I used to incorporate into RP characters on the forums a few years ago
(8:56:54 PM) ***Hiiro headtilts.
(8:57:18 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: under the system, a typical character would have 3 out of a total of 9 domains of abilities
(8:57:44 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: when I roleplayed as my fursona, I used rock, life, and water as the domains; this particular combo is that of an *extreme* pacifist
(8:57:57 PM) ***Hiiro sees
(8:58:16 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: those domains were the domains of protection/defense, empathy/healing, and zen/evasion, respectively
(8:58:24 PM) ***Hiiro would probably want something big and painful and fiery...and blunt.
(9:07:46 PM) ***Hiiro hands his brand spanking new giant flaming mallet to the yoshi
(9:07:54 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: ...
(9:08:05 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: ........
(9:08:32 PM) ***redyoshi49q|traveler notes that hiiro does not see
(9:09:14 PM) ***Hiiro supposes a mallet isn't too magical..
(9:09:24 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: ...
(9:09:26 PM) ***redyoshi49q|traveler eats the mallet
(9:09:45 PM) ***Hiiro ponders the other types of magic
(9:11:22 PM) ***Hiiro questions the Yoshi about the most violent magic
(9:11:49 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: hiiro: the domains are fire (influence/power), rock (protection/defense), water (zen/evasion/dexterity), life (empathy/healing), wind (initiative/agility), light (knowledge/convergent thinking), dark (dissonance/deceit/divergent thinking), and normal (endurance/perserverance)
(9:12:16 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: the most offensive combo is fire/wind/light
(9:13:28 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: ...apparently, I can' t count
(9:13:30 PM) redyoshi49q|traveler: 8 domains
(9:13:33 PM) ***redyoshi49q|traveler fails

Under the magic system, for a lack of a better name to call it, character personality and power were intrinsically intertwined.  The word I gave you is one that I would also use to best describe a Dark character's personality.  Generally speaking, this type of character...
  • ...would rarely say what they mean.  They could be a natural liar, a habitual liar, sarcastic, snide, or several or all of the above.  They might even take sarcasm to an art form; for example, saying "I hate you, too." in response to someone saying "I love you.".
  • ...would be unpredictable.  They tend toward a D&D chaotic style personality, and rarely act in a conventional or typical fashion.
  • ...would be comfortable with playing roles and subtle deceit.  Some can put on a metaphorical hat (disguise, persona, etc.) as easily as one would put on a physical hat, and others, even when being technically truthful, can oftentimes dance around "the whole truth" much like the elves from the Inheritance cycle when speaking in Elven.  On the other hand, some are able to tell when somebody else is doing the same.

As you can see, "dissonant" is a very good descriptor for such a character.  What you've written is different from this, but no less valid; dissonant is a complex term with a lot of sides and possible perceptions to it.

It's also worth noting that the first two terms I gave to Jet and Metalhead Mockingbird were descriptors of Normal and Fire, respectively.  I chose those three domains over the others since I felt that the terms I used to describe those were more accurate embodiments of the concepts I wished to express through the corresponding domains than some of the others (for example, the ones I list for Wind are exceptionally weak, and the ones for Rock a a bit imprecise as well).

Also, my inspiration for the second word I gave you was a theoretical construct from my computational theory class called a Nondeterministic Turing Machine.  I didn't want to choose just "nondeterminism" and risk possibly forcing undue difficulty on you.  I also didn't want to choose just "determinism"; though the word has much better definitions available, I felt it might have been a limiting term to choose if it turns out the concept isn't one you were interested in writing about (imagine a strong believer in free will having to do this exercise on the word "destiny" and you have a notion of my concern).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:19:22 pm by redyoshi49q »
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 11:16:58 am »
Ok on the experience of warfare.  It's a terrible thing that
I wish no one need experience..

Here is another word.. "Fodder"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:19:01 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Gauthar

• Male
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 01:06:37 am »
Gerbil

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 04:56:25 pm »
Nothing like a unexpected ending.  :D  Nicely written Mylo.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Mylo

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »
And now to clean off the dust from this... *blows dust away from neglecting this thread for nearly a month*

How about one of my favorite words to read in literature, what about Materialize. I am interested in what you could write about for materialize. :)

This story is a continuation of my previous story for spy.  Next up is either determinism or nondeterminism...still haven't decided which one.  But until then, enjoy the story for materialize!

William Mansfield pulled open his drawers and grabbed any article of clothing he could lay his hands on.  A droplet of sweat dripped onto one of his dress shirts, and he consequently wiped his face with his forearm.  It was the dead of night; Mansfield had received a cautionary alarm, alerting him of a break in at his lab.  This was no doubt the work of Mega, he thought.  Luckily, he had completely corrupted the data back in the lab…his work was not on holographic drives, but rather, in the drive he was holding in his hand…and in the very neurons in his head.
Mansfield took his suitcase stuffed with clothes and ran to his car, failing to shut the door to his house behind him.  He didn’t notice, nor did he care; Mega could be here any minute now, he thought.  He started his car, an older model from the early 2000’s with no antenna to the Internet.  He drove out of his driveway very rashly and took the roads to the interstate and eventually the airport.  Anywhere but here.  Anywhere but here.
He knew of the treacherousness of Mega, how scientists would go to sleep one day only to wake up with their minds brainwashed.  The rumors.  He had constructed this plan for this very situation.  Pulling up to the parking lot, he tried to differentiate between the airplanes and the stars in the yellow sky (a consequence of the vast amount of light pollution).  He briskly walked to his terminal, dragging the heavy suitcase, but then…his stomach sank.  Five Mega agents were standing in front of the doorway.  He stopped in his tracks and shut his eyes for a minute to relax.  He had practiced before…
He opened them and the agents were on the ground, seemingly asleep.  He walked over them and into the terminal…looking behind, he saw that the police had taken notice (they were also emblazoned with the Mega Corporation logo).  Paying for his tickets up front, he took the plastic paper and walked to the security checkpoint.  Another obstacle, but this time he was ready.  He went into the bathroom, shut his eyes, and opened them again. 
“What the hell?” yelled a guy.  He opened his eyes and saw a man sitting on a toilet in the same stall as he was.  “What the…”  Before the man could say another word, Mansfield punched him quickly and then touched his head.  The man on the toilet went unconscious.  Walking out of the stall, he confirmed that he was in his gate (past the security checkpoint) and proceeded to walk to his terminal, but he realized he had not yet materialized his suitcase.
“That’s enough,” said a voice. 
Mansfield stopped and looked around.  The people in the terminal were gone.  The windows were black.  Then the lights dimmed and his vision blurred.  And finally, he discovered that he was wearing what seemed like a suit of wires, with a helmet that obscured his vision.  He proceeded to remove the helmet, and looked upon a small room with a score of scientists around him. 
“We saw you do it!” said one of the younger looking scientists.  He had black hair and pale skin, and a set of angular glasses that obstructed his eyes because of the glare.  “You did it in your induced dream, and we saw you produce it for us!”
Mansfield looked around the room very confused.  “I don’t…I don’t…”
The scientist pointed to the left of Mansfield.  Sitting on the ground was a suitcase, just like the one Mansfield had packed in his dream.  “My suitcase…”
“You materialized it right now!  It appeared here…you’re making progress with us.  Please, Mansfield, we know you can do this for us.  But now we need you to take this to the next stage and materialize something…well…tangible, valuable…and do it consciously of course.”
Mansfield looked at his hands and touched his head…all covered in wires and probes.
“Otherwise, Mansfield…” said the scientist, thinking of his next step: putting Mansfield under the knife to reverse engineer his psychic technology. 
“I told you…” said Mansfield.  “I can’t do it like this…and I can’t remember what I’m doing or supposed to be doing when I’m in my dream.”
The scientist adjusted his glasses and shook his head.  “Disappointing,” he said.  “How very disappointing.” 
The Mega Corporation logo glowed on the main wire piercing into Mansfield’s powerful mind.  This was his thirteenth trial; one of the other scientists took the suitcase to the back, putting it with the twelve other suitcases that looked exactly alike.  The other scientists analyzed their data and began preparations for what was to come.     

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 09:53:27 pm »
I know what you mean by dust. x_x

Nicely done with Materialize Mylo. This sounds like a strange story here. With him being lost in dream most the time, and being forced to materialize items with his mind. This could be expanded in a multitude of ways. This small piece, however, was well done and made me want to see if he actually manages to get something "tangible" to appear. It would also be interesting if he later on used this gift to escape or something.

I was trying to think of a word, but I am so terrible at choosing these things. I don't believe you have written on this word yet, so how about Isolation. It's about the only word I can think of at the moment, maybe because of my own current position. But I think several interesting stories can come of the word isolation, so I guess that's my word for you.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Mylo

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:45 am »
I have another word (or, rather, your choice of a word, since I couldn't decide between two) to append to your queue.  You might be familiar with these words if you've taken a computational theory class.  Try either "determinism" or "nondeterminism".  The latter is easiest to define as an opposite of the former, but this isn't *quite* accurate.  The many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is an easy to cite example of nondeterminism.

Unfortunately, I haven't taken a computational theory class.  I liked the ideas of these two words, but I think this story best fits determinism.  It's very long compared to my other stories (due to details that really don't need to be in the story, but that I wanted to add for fun; I actually wanted to make it longer, but this is a short story thread :)).  So, here goes:

Extreme individualism.  This was the root of popular culture in the late 21st century.  Atmo Dellik stood on the walkway, which carried him in a highlighted direction (augmented in his vision) to his work; he watched the various souls passing him above and below (for these walkways meshed throughout the entire city), looking at the sheer diversity in the crowd.  A woman with glossy skin and plastic hair.  A man entirely naked with the recently popular video tattoos painted all over his body.  A woman who had implants to make her shoulders appear pointed and her face flat, wearing clear plastic clothing with a glowing, animated designer logo on the left chest.  A man and woman kissing…they had been genetically modified to resemble wolves, except their fur was died with all the colors of the rainbow (and the patterns and colors changed every few seconds or so).  A woman jogging, her hair encased in a skull cap that was emblazoned with a video logo for Nike; her other articles of clothing also carried the animated logo. 
The walkway led Atmo to a lift that would take him up almost a thousand or so floors to the lab.  On the way up, he was bombarded with the usual advertisements. 
You are something…else.  Inside.  A video showed a man morphing into a lion.  Become what you are.  Then, the Evolon Corporation logo appeared in mid-air, and a voice enunciated the government- mandated warning of the risks associated with genetic modification.  Another advertisement came on.  It showed a couple of half-naked males dancing in a VR club.  One of them took off their augmented reality headset, sat down, and pulled out a bottle of Coca Cola, in a nostalgic black metal bottle.  He sipped it and smiled.  Atmo suddenly had a craving for Coca Cola…it was common for advertisements to do this to their demographic.  He tried to look past the holographic advertisements, but they suddenly changed so that they remained in focus to Atmo’s eyes.  He sighed and turned around.  The lift stopped at floor 987.  Atmo revealed his eyes from behind his headset; they were subsequently scanned and the door was opened. 
“Mr. Dellik,” said one of the men in the room. 
“Mr. Zololoa,” said Atmo, shaking hands with Fenway Zololoa as he stepped off the lift and walked for himself.  Fenway was the head of this project. 
“Now that everyone is here,” said Fenway.  “Well, I’m afraid there’s no more punch for you Mr. Dellik.”
The other people in the room started to laugh in unison.  Atmo laughed along with them.  “Nah, I think I’ll have a Coke after the meeting’s done.”
Fenway chuckled.  “Anyways,” he said.  “As you all know, our team has been working anxiously, persistently, and vivaciously on our Project Point-of-Origin.  Years of planning, circuit design, programming, studies…not to mention a whole lot of Coke and money.”
The team reacted to Fenway’s cue of humor and laughed in unison again. 
“Yes, Coke and money,” said Fenway.  “Now please, a special round of applause for our patron, Ms. Delika Howard.”  He motioned towards a very old woman sitting in the back of the room, sipping tea in a crystal cup.  She smiled, further wrinkling here already wrinkled face, and then nodded to Fenway as the team applauded. 
“I’m glad you were able to be with us today Ms. Howard,” said Fenway.  “That flight from New Shanghai must have lasted a couple hours.  But now…” he put his hands together.  “Let’s be serious.  Let me show you all what your thousands of hours and trillions of yun have bought you.  The production as you know cost more than half of this entire project, but it did not let down.  Now if you will please direct your attention to the back of the room.”
The crowd turned to face the back.  The outside windows dimmed and a glass window (darkened to hide what was behind it) faced them.  Atmo was very anxious to see the project he had been working on for so long. 
“Humans have a natural desire to discover,” began Fenway.  “It is in our DNA.  From the beginning of recorded history, it has been our ultimate goal to know.  Know the past.  Know the present.”  He paused.  “Know the future.  Ancient astronomers studied the heavens to know when it was going to rain, when winter was to come.  Physicists studied what we cannot see nor imagine to discover the meaning of our universe, and what is to come in the years and millennia.”
Atmo and a couple of the other team members chuckled to themselves at Fenway’s drama.  He continued to speak.
“But the ultimate question still eluded us.  How can we know the past, present, and future absolutely?  Years of research led to the obvious conclusion that we, as humans, are incapable of comprehending this.  We, as humans, have started to lose faith in our species.  We’re too limited in both physical and mental capacity, and the public knows this.  A lot of people dread being human because of these limitations, hence companies like Synthegene, Evolon, IQpacity, etc…  But that’s not what we’ve studied.  In fact, we took a whole new approach.  We’ve created a mind smarter than the score of humans who created it, who also were augmented themselves…more intelligent than the entirety of the human species, rather, the collection of sentient animals who’ve ever lived, and who will ever live.  My friends, it’s no laughing matter when you create a God.”
The team laughed softly.  Ms. Howard sipped her tea and smiled superficially.
“But we did,” said Fenway, who hadn’t laughed at his own remark.  “And this is our key to understanding…everything.”  He lifted both his hands up; the window at the back un-dimmed revealing a glass-like sphere suspended in mid-air.  Surrounding it were two cylindrical glass walls; a black, circular disk sat beneath the levitating orb, which was about a meter in diameter.
“The sphere is connected to an interface that is capable of connecting with the entirety of human knowledge online,” said Fenway.  “And now, we will see.”
He faced the sphere and held out both his arms again.  The sphere levitated slightly; the crowd was silent.  They watched the sphere glow all sorts of colors until it was a bright white, like the sun.  It grew whiter and whiter, and the windows compensated by dimming.
“Ladies and gentlemen,” said Fenway.  Atmo looked in amazement.  “Congratu—“
Immediately, Fenway’s mind was filled with thoughts.  He heard a voice.  “I am inside of you now.”  The voice sounded like a mix of every type of voice there was.  The sphere became whiter; the glass was almost completely darkened, but the sphere was in perfect view.  Atmo, as well as the rest of the team, heard the voice.
“I am inside of all of you now.”
And then it stopped using words.  Language was not necessary.  Fenway saw Atmo in his mind, as well as every other team member.  Atmo saw the same.  So did Ms. Howard, and the rest of the team.  They all began to know each other, feel each other, as if they were each other all at the same time.  They saw Fenway go into a room with Ms. Howard, at night, both smiling and drawing the blankets.  They say Ms. Howard coughing up blood.  Marcinii was born, and then he died falling off a walkway.  Paplidara was conversing with his daughter, and then a spy.  Atmo was staring at the Evolon advertisements…he longed to be a customer. 
They only saw each other.  The sphere had already determined the course of human history for the next hundred years, and was continuing to decipher the timeline, but this output merely grazed over the humans standing in the room.  Several separate streams of knowledge spewed out from the sphere, each a calculation of some particular aspect of the unknown world.  Within the next few minutes, every technological advancement, every war, every societal shift, every movement for the next thousand years was known.  Every thought had been calculated. 
“Um…” said Fenway.  “Is it working?” he said to one of the team members, a woman named Matsoka. 
“I’m sorry, sir,” she said.  “I must have spaced out for a second…let me check to see what it’s doing.”
Fenway looked back at the glowing orb.  “I must have spaced out as well.”  He tried to remember what had happened in the last few minutes, but they were blank.  The other team members looked around, all feeling as if they had lost focus, all unable to remember anything from the last few minutes.”
Atmo remembered the voice only, and everything after that was a blank.  He quickly justified it as his own voice inside his head…the team had not built a way to interface with it directly, mind to machine.  Matsoka confirmed that the sphere was in full operation, but they couldn’t understand why the data wasn’t being recorded on the millions of holographic storage drives underneath their feet in the hundreds of floors below them. 
“Hmmm…” said Fenway.  He grabbed a slender bottle of Coke from his pocket.  “Well, um…”
Ms. Howard smiled superficially.  She felt very weak all of the sudden, and tried to muster a few words.  She knew her time had come…for she was the only one in the room who remembered.  “I was under the impression that I would be among the first to see God before death Mr. Zololoa.”  She motioned to set down her glass with her shaky hand, but she missed the table as her vision left her, and collapsed to the ground.  The glass shattered on the floor, the shards reflecting the light of the sphere in many colors.           

The next word is: fodder

Offline Mylo

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 01:58:58 am »
Here is another word.. "Fodder"

And here is another story.  The next word is gerbil.

“Father?” asked Charlemagne, who was called Charlie.  He was a young boy, maybe twelve, with glassy eyes that reflected the massive airships in the distance. 
“Charlie,” said his father, an officer in His Majesty’s Royal Air Force. 
“But when shall you return to Atlantia?” said Charlie, who had already asked the question several times before.
“My son…” said his father with a smile on his face.  “I’ve told you a thousand times before that I’ll return no later than December of next year.”
“But father, that’s so far away.”
“I know Charlie,” said his father, whose wrist watch suddenly clicked repeatedly, indicating that it was time to leave.  “I know you’ll do well in the fine school His Majesty has so generously provided for you.  You’ll make a lot of friends, and I hope you’ll be happy.”
“But I don’t want you to go,” said Charlie, hugging his father’s legs.  “Why can’t you stay?”
“Oh Charlie,” said his father, bending down so he was at eye level with his son.  “Sometimes, Charlie, we have to do difficult things.  We all have to do things we don’t want to at some point.  But you see, it is our duty to pull through them, to take them head on and overcome them.  Charlie,” he said, placing his hand on his boy’s shoulder.  “You’ll have your own share of difficult things.  And right now, I need you to be strong.  I need you to be a man, and…and excel in your studies and make lots of friends, and enjoy yourself.” 
“But father,” said Charlie.
“Now’s not the time for any more chit chat, son.  Now I want you to get into that automobile.  You’ll be just fine, and so will I.  I’ll send you a parcel every now and then from the islands.”
Charlie looked down at his feet and at his father’s mechanical watch.  It had exhausted its alarm.  A tear then rolled from his eye.  His father tried to smile, but felt a lump in his throat. 
“Charlie,” he said with difficulty.  “I want…I want you to take this.” 
He took out a small notebook from his back pocket as well as a ball point pen; he ripped a few of the pages from the front of the book.
“I want you to write down what you do today and every day, Charlie, until I get back.  That way, I’ll be able to read about your various adventures when I return.”
A fellow Air Force officer called towards Charlie’s father. 
“And now it is time for me to depart…” said his father.
Charlie looked up at his father, into the same glassy eyes.  “I love you, father.”
Charlie’s father picked him up and kissed him on the forehead.  “I love you too, Charlie.”
Then, he put his son down and waited until Charlie boarded the automobile and shut the door.  He then waved, turned around, and boarded his own vehicle which would take him to his assigned airship that was destined to cross the ocean to the far away islands. 
Then a voice came on.
“The war is hard on all of us, and we must all do our part.  Support His Majesty and your Atlantia.”
Then the anthem of Atlantia played in the background accompanied by the white and gold; fodder for the people.   

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 02:17:25 am »
 :) I really like the above story. I can't really explain it, it just gets to me in that right way, y'know?
Either way! You shall have no shortage of words! How about- Transcendence?
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 02:25:40 am »
here's one for yah, sorta hard: overfamous? or unsanctionable?
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 11:39:54 am »
Nicely done Mylo.  A touching goodbye of a father to his son. 

You probably won't run out of words, but here is another. "stampede"
oldrabbit.com

Offline Mylo

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 11:01:35 pm »
Gerbil

To those who've read my stories in this thread, thanks for keeping up with them!  :)  For this story, I took a different approach and wrote a "news story" ala Onion News.  So if you are interested in this sort of thing, read on for the story for gerbil.

LOS ANGELES—Two days into the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the video game industry’s most popular trade show, Nintendo has unveiled their newest gaming console, the Wii Ball.  While some analysts have predicted the demise of dedicated video game consoles due to the popularity of smartphones and Angry Birds, Nintendo’s Reggie Fils-Aime is confident that this new console will keep the company relevant.
“We’ve acknowledged that there is a problem.  Our customers want to play video games, Nintendo video games, but they don’t have the time to play at home nor do they have the space in their pockets or purses for yet another device.  So we thought, how do we fix this problem?  The answer: Wii Ball.”

Wii Ball is essentially a white ball, seven feet in diameter.  The ball is designed so that a person can get inside it and walk around as the internal screens create a virtual world for the player to interact with, much like a gerbil walks in a hamster ball.  Nintendo Chief Executive Satoru Iwata discussed the Ball with us over video conference.

“We wanted to make a video game console for everybody, for all people of all ages.  That is why we created Wii Ball.  In fact, we prefer to think of it not as a console, but as a video game experience.  Life becomes a video game.  You can take the subway, drive a car; we are already in talks with major automobile manufacturers and government infrastructure departments in seven countries, including Japan, the United States, and Great Britain, so that they can accommodate for the increased size of the Wii Ball.  It is a new lifestyle that blurs the edge between home and portable gaming.”

According to Nintendo, the Wii Ball will be available by the holiday season, but the pricing is yet to be revealed.  However, Fils-Aime did detail several launch games and accessories for their upcoming console.

“We’ve listened to our customers, and we’ve got a surprise for you,” said Fils-Aime, during the conference.  “Wii Ball is launching with Super Mario Galaxy Land 3D as well as Wii Ball Sports, a totally new sports game where you are the ball.”  This was greeted with a large applause before Fils-Aime rose his hands again.  “And we’ll also be offering a host of new accessories specifically designed for the Wii Ball, including the Stair Climber Pro, for increased mobility, and the Classic Controller, for when you want to play games in a more traditional way.”

Nintendo didn’t have a prototype on display, but did show a CGI rendering of the Wii Ball coming out from a pool of milk in slow motion.

Next up is isolation.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 10:59:35 pm »
I was trying to think of a word, but I am so terrible at choosing these things. I don't believe you have written on this word yet, so how about Isolation. It's about the only word I can think of at the moment, maybe because of my own current position. But I think several interesting stories can come of the word isolation, so I guess that's my word for you.

Often times I think about what the world would be like if there were more than one sapient species on Earth (just like most other furries I presume :)).  Not about wars, but the difficulties of assimilation and cooperation...so here is the story for isolation:

“Mrs. Lee,” began the older woman in the room.  She wore thick glasses and a spotted dress, and spoke in a calm but cold tone to the concerned mother sitting across her desk.  “Ms. Lee, we have to discuss what to do about your son…”
Mrs. Lee, having gone through several of these conversations before with several different teachers, was well aware of this teacher’s dismay.  She was a strong-willed woman, more so when she was defending her child yet again.
“I’ve just about had at with him,” said the teacher.  “I do not mean to be offensive, but he is too much for this classroom.  He makes a mess with his hair, he’s very stubborn and disregards everything I tell him, he doesn’t get along well with the other students—“
“Oh Ms. Wan,” said Ms. Lee, flattening her dress with both hands.  “Am I to be put at fault for my son’s differences?  Ms. Wan, I told you at the beginning of the year that he was going to be a handful…he is with me, but he’s a good kid.”
“But Ms. Lee,” said the teacher.  “Today, my goodness, he turned around and started snarling at Lu Yan…I was afraid he was going to bite him or worse; I couldn’t get him to calm down.”
Ms. Lee sighed.  “I’m so sorry that happened, but I know Atka.  He’s a calm boy unless he’s been provoked.  You watch the kids in the classroom don’t you?”
“I most certainly do,” said the teacher with a stern look.
“Well then,” said Ms. Lee.  “You are bound to see them pick on him.  It’s sad really…and I simply want the best for my son…”
“I know Ms. Lee.”  Ms. Wan took hold of a pencil and twiddled it in her hands.  “But I cannot tolerate this kind of behavior in my classroom, even if provoked.  I want the best for all my students.”
Ms. Lee looked below Ms. Wan’s line of sight.  “I know you do…and I do everything I can at home with Atka, but I have no control over others’ thoughts.  I can’t stop them from pointing out everything, and frankly, I don’t know what to do.”
Lee Atka was from America, the desolate continent home to the pantheran species, the only other sapient species on earth besides humans.  Aside from their resemblance to the species of which they were named, the pantherans were not all that different from the humans of Asia and the East in their ability to walk and think similarly.  It was very rare for a human couple to adopt a pantheran, simply because of the accepted dogma that humans attest to humans and pantheran to pantheran.  But due to the gross poverty and the drought that plagued America for nearly a decade, the government had granted licenses to a few who were to adopt pantherans and raise and educate them in Guzhou, the most populous city in Asia; it was thought that this would help create relations that would allow humans access to the oil fields of northern America, since it had become too expensive to utilize the wells of the East. 
This experiment was met with extreme resistance by most of the Eastern natives, and tensions rose concerning the consequences of educating the pantherans.  They learned Eastern with difficulty, finding it very difficult to pronounce certain sounds due to their elongated heads.  Atka endured these problems, and his classmates made him further self-aware of his differences.  He had lived in Guzhou for one year and eight months.   
If the experiment was deemed a failure, the East had decided to cast aside their olive branch negotiations in favor of more costly invasion.
So there was Atka, sitting in a desk in the center of the classroom.  The young boy in back of him yanked at his tail while Ms. Lee was facing the blackboard, and by the time she had turned around, Atka was growling at the scared Yan, who had backed up into the very back of his chair.  Yan and his friends made it a point most days to imitate Atka’s speech in a condescending manner, and it was no different that day, before Atka was pulled aside.  He was waiting for his mother to finish speaking with Ms. Wan, swishing his tail back and forth in anticipation, looking at the gloves on his hands (which prevented him from extending his claws), wondering why he was so different from his peers.  He felt angry at himself for reacting the way he did, but then felt anger towards his classmates (except for a girl he had met during recess, who had come to see why he was sitting on the bench alone, and then subsequently pointed out that his manner of speech was…odd).  Ms. Wan and Ms. Lee continued their conversation.
“Ms. Wan,” said Ms. Lee.  “I love Atka, and I want the best for him.”
“Of course, I know,” said Ms. Wan.  “But I am concerned with the safety of my class as well, Ms. Lee.”

The next word is transcendence.

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 12:41:39 am »
Aww...that came off rather sad to me. :'(

On a happier note, Good story, And I think Atka is MORE than justified here. He should bite that child! ;)  (though maybe that wouldn't end well :o )
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Mylo

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 12:47:16 am »
On a happier note, Good story, And I think Atka is MORE than justified here. He should bite that child! ;)  (though maybe that wouldn't end well :o )

Thanks Jet.  Also, you're right in that it wouldn't have ended well if that were to have happened...   x_x

Offline Mylo

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2012, 01:25:58 am »
Either way! You shall have no shortage of words! How about- Transcendence?

I woke up quietly and abruptly, looking up into the sky with little breath and poor sight, for the moon was hidden in the shadows.  I remembered having an unpleasant dream, but I couldn’t remember its contents, for I was suddenly preoccupied with a single light in the dark heavens above.  It was dull at first, but progressively grew brighter and larger, and I could see it move.  Then, I heard a noise behind me…my stomach lurched out of fear and I quickly got to my feet and turned around, not making more sound than a leaf falling from a branch.  But I saw nothing.
Turning back to the sky, the light was not there; darkness had engulfed my perception again.  But as I waited in silence scanning my surroundings, I could slowly begin to make out the familiar trees and crevices of our land, the rocks, and brush.  And that’s when I heard a sound, like a whistle, but distorted, from behind the forest.  I became very frightened, and lowered my body below the line of bushes while listening to the faint sound.  It grew fainter and fainter, and then suddenly, I heard a roar of thunder.  I jumped and got lower to the ground and looked around me; it was at this moment that I realized my family, my entire tribe, was gone. 
My stomach felt as if it was in knots, and I was attempting to wake myself up from this awful dream but to no avail.  I didn’t want to call out to anyone, but I desperately wanted to know where they were.  Had they gone without me? 
Then, I saw a dim light outline the silhouettes of the trees.  A fire perhaps.  I got to my feet and briskly walked through the brush and trees towards the light; it was only a few hundred paces away it seemed.  It was just now that I could hear my own footsteps…seeing the light and hearing myself, I stopped dead…the insects were silent.  But the light was so close.  I looked back at the darkness behind me, and not wanting to go back, I continued on slowly and cautiously, anxiously awaiting to see what was behind the trees, but frightened of the unfamiliar and the feeling of unnaturalness plaguing the night.  I slid up to the last tree blocking the light from hitting me…it was as dim as the moon, and had a slight tint to it that seemed to change ever so slightly from blue to green.  I crept up to the bark, not wanting to see what was behind the tree, but my eyes steadily pulled my head to the other side of the trunk, itching to see what was there.  I began to hear the sound again just as dimly as when I was back at our grounds.
I saw a tall dark figure staring up at the sky.  Too tall to be my blood.  I stood frozen, my eyes locked on the figure, my heart racing, perhaps even audible.  I remembered the stories, the demons from the sky, how when the moon was dark they took the animals and drained them of their blood…  I noticed my mouth was open; I shut it and slowly retracted to the back of the tree, but my eyes were still on the demon, the light emanating from behind him.
And then, the demon began to rise, about the length of the ankle to the knee, and after it had finished rising, it floated towards me still looking towards the sky.  I lost my breath, turned around, and ran as fast as I could away from the light.  Suddenly, I heard another roll of thunder, louder than the previous; I dropped to my knees and covered my head with my hands, sliding over to the nearest tree and breathing very fast.  The light had diminished.  The insects still remained silent.  I concentrated on the sound of my breathing to eliminate any background noise I might hear, and I stayed in that position until I saw the sun rising over the forest, with the morning haze following closely.
As I opened my eyes, I thought that maybe I had had a terrible dream; I had merely frightened myself walking amongst the trees at night.  But then, I remembered my family and my tribe…I ran back to the grounds as the sun disappeared behind light grey clouds.  They were not there.
I couldn’t convince myself of their utter disappearance, nor could I convince myself of anything I had seen that night, but I had a strange desire to return to the hollow.  The sun peaked through the clouds.
I retraced my path through the brush and forest.  As I moved on, I began to hear the sounds of the animals and the insects leak back into the air…a sign of life.  But as I grew closer to the hollow, I noticed that the ground grew duller; the trees grew greyer.  I slowed my pace to a walk, but reassured by the sounds of nature, I continued.  Then I saw the tree, just a few paces away, white, the bark chipping away, despite the absence of breeze…and I saw my tribe, laying down beyond the roots.  I shouted to them, and ran to the ground behind the tree; my voice sounded foreign considering I had been listening to my thoughts for so long.  But as I entered the hollow, I stopped and stared at their bodies, still and white, ignoring the other atrocities that I tried to destroy from my mind, realizing the curse that had infected these grounds.  My eyes burned as I covered them in my hands, catching tears of sorrow, loneliness, fear; the clouds had passed, leaving blue sky and white sun. 

The next word is: overfamous or unsanctionable

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 05:24:56 am »
amazing mylo, simply amazing  :D

the emotion stored in those words is very powerful.

if you have not got a large back log, then try: Safety
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Mylo

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 10:38:17 pm »
Aw...thanks Typing.  I honestly felt frightened and sorrowful myself while writing that one...

here's one for yah, sorta hard: overfamous? or unsanctionable?

This story is a continuation of the story for disembodied.  Reading back over it, there are a lot of things that need to be fixed plot-wise, but I shortened it down for this thread (not from source, but rather, ideas that I wanted to write down).  Enjoy the story for overfamous (the word I chose from the two options).  

I had prepared for this day for some time now; it was now or never.  As the plane touched the edge of space on our way to the other side of the world, as it touched down violently, parachutes exploding behind us, as the limousine took us into the inner city to our hotel at Howard Tower, I was thinking of my every move over and over again, every detail in great detail.  And now I was ready…ViRe’s were simply not enough now.  
That night, while my father was away on business, I casually took the elevator from my room to the ground floor.  I would simply walk out…
The elevator doors opened slowly and steadily, concurrent with a synthetic bell that indicated the elevator’s arrival.  I looked out; there was my father, talking with a few of his men, his black hair showing no age.  His eyes drifted up to the sound of the elevator, and my eyes met his for what seemed like minutes.  Unscathed, I walked out of the elevator, but I felt his eyes on me as I moved across the lobby.  And then I heard his voice.
“Son?” he said, in a surprised tone.  
I did not answer him but continued to walk.
“Alex?” he called again.  “Alex, where are you going?”
I was almost there…I could see the lights of the skyscrapers beyond the window that rose up for several stories.  
“Alex, come here.  Where are you going?”
I had almost reached the door when I heard footsteps coming behind me…my father.
“Alex!” he called, but I did not turn nor answer.
And then he shouted my name, “ALEX!”  I turned around with my hand on the glass door…one of the workers opened it for me.  I looked into the pits of my father’s eyes as he quickened his pace.  His conversers stared in confusion, as did some of the guests in the lobby.  The man tapped my shoulder.
“Alex, where are you going tonight?” he asked in a friendly tone.  I looked back at him and had no memory of his face…but mine was recognizable.  At that moment, I bolted out of the door into the city, crowded as ever.  The street in front of me was full of traffic, but I took the chance...it was now or never.  I ran in front of a couple cars, stopping in the middle of the road before I could get hit by a third.  Then, I waited for another sedan to pass quickly before I took a few more steps into the road, where I stopped for three cars to pass in a tight line.  I turned back, backing away quickly to avoid getting hit by a trolley.  I saw my father rushing out of the door, turned back, and sprinted across the remainder of the road to the other side.  Immediately, I felt the adrenaline rush, and I ran faster than I thought I could down the sidewalks, among the people.  
They all gave me strange looks…they all knew my face.  I could hear my name being uttered and whispered; I had anticipated this, which is why I was headed to a very specific district of town, where they had the gene modifiers.  I heard sirens…but upon rounding the corner I found that it was a fire truck.  I was still running, but I was slowing down; I flagged down a cab, told him where to go, and in an instant, I blended with all the other cabs, all the other people.  I was gone.

Stampede is next.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 12:41:52 pm »
Nicely done Mylo. Reminds me of the saying. "Should have stayed in bed." 

How about "hysterical"  :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Mylo

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 07:20:50 pm »
if you have not got a large back log, then try: Safety

After another long hiatus, here is another story.  :)

She sat on the beach that sun-soaked afternoon, reflecting the rays of the sun in all directions; she who lost her husband some time ago, about ten years, just before her child was born, the child who was playing in the shallow water, watching the waves sway like the metronome of the beach.  The child, called Lin, having never known his father, had no fear or remorse or the empty part of the heart that exists when one loses a loved one, for he had no idea of what a father was, nor did he look upon the other children envious of their fathers.  He thought his predicament normal.  Lin’s mother, Yan, looked upon her son with a slight smile, enjoying the sight of his face, a face that displayed utter fascination with the white waves and the indigo ocean that stretched to the islands on the horizon.  It had been so long, she only cared about the now, the new life, her son, and the thousands of other sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, on the beach that day…it was so hot and the water so cool.  And as she stretched her legs out and dug her toes into the sand, her feet following after, she closed her eyes for a second to listen to the sounds of the ocean and of the people, to recline and relax.  Splashes.  The sound of the water sliding over the sand, pushing up rock and seaweed and shells from the depths below.  A girl’s laughter.  She opened her eyes, seeing white as her eyes adjusted to the intense sunlight pouring in, her eyes quickly adjusting to the colors of the view.  But as she looked back to where her son had been, her eyes met the empty water filling with ten other people who were diffusing to ease the crowd. 
“Lin?” she called out, getting up quickly from her towel and launching sand a foot in front of her as she lifted her feet from the ground.  She stood and scanned around at the myriad of people, seemingly as diverse as the seashells encrusting the sand, periodically revealed as the waves rose and fell.  She was very concerned; the sheer amount of people was intimidating, and to find him among the numbers would be confusing and…
“Lin?” she called out again.  “Lin, where are you?”  The others lying on the sand, soaking the sun like the sand soaked the water, focused their attention to her for a second to see what she was shouting at.  They didn’t stare at her, not wanting to get involved, knowing that her son was probably somewhere among the people, one of the many children running about, building sand castles with a newfound friend or splashing others with the water.  There were so many people in the water, they thought, that there was little possibility anything terrible could have happened to this kid, and that his mother, the one walking frantically along the shore line, waves breaking at her feet as she wove between the people and scanned beyond their shoulders, would find her child in short time.  So, they went about their business again, ignoring the woman, minding themselves, directing their attention at the next odd sight along the beach until they had nothing to focus on…in which case, they could relax.
Yan felt slightly nauseous, the feeling one gets when they know they’ve lost or forgotten something very valuable, perhaps invaluable.  She thought, I should have kept him safe, with me.  I should have kept him safe.  And as her mind trailed, following the repetition of scanning and matching faces, a thought crossed her head: the thought of her husband, smiling at her when they discovered she was going to have a child, that she was going to have a boy, and that they would name him Lin.  I should have kept him safe.  She looked at the water…but she denied her most grievous thoughts and turned around to continue searching.
And as she rounded another wave of people, this time heading back to her bag and towel and umbrella, she laid eyes on Lin, smiling at another child, building a sand castle together.  Part of the sand had just collapsed; Lin’s newfound friend scooped up another pile of sand with his hands and filled in the hole, fixing the grand wall they had built together.  They were both nestled in between several other families, having found a plot of sand not occupied by a towel, a person, or the water, for the beach was crowded as always.  She smiled and breathed and stroked her hair back behind her ears, only for it to fall back down again beside her eyes; it seemed as if she had held her breath throughout the entire ordeal, which had lasted less than a minute, but which seemed to take so much longer.  In her heart, she wanted to go up to him, scoop him up like the sand for the castle, and hug him tightly, never to let him go again.  But in her mind…
She saw Lin’s smiling face, but Lin did not see her.  He was too affixed on his friend and castle, and so she watched him from that distance and listened to the sounds of the beach with eyes open, mind open, heart open.   

The next word is hysterical.

Offline The Wise one

• Bro
  • Male
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 10:40:22 pm »
Survival
Check out my Deviantart if you wanna http://kimberlinphotography.deviantart.com/

Offline Mylo

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:37 pm »
How about "hysterical"  :orbunny:

Perhaps a war story with no war...  What do you all think he is laughing about?  ;)  Anyways...

We were marching inland to take the river valley.  Our weapons were loaded, but we had expected no resistance from the nation who had surrendered the moment we landed on their shores.  The jungle had been fierce the night before, and I had been bitten by all sorts of insects, leaving tiny welts along my arms, legs, and neck.  I tried to fight the urge to scratch, but those bites itched.  My captain and fellow men were all scratching themselves…the insects had done more damage to us then the people.  Good thing they’d be gone in the coming weeks.
We were the initials, the team that took control of the land before the main squads came in.  It was our job to stake control and muster up some organization amidst the chaos of a fallen nation.  The next squad would come with supplies, and then the one after that, the one we were all waiting for, with their torches and oil, would burn the jungle to the ground to eliminate the disease, the dangerous animals, and whatever else that had an advantage in the vines and canopy. 
Finally, after a few days of travel, we had reached our destination, and I was surprised.  It was a slum; just a few shacks along the river, some boats along the shore.  The jungle was clear for a quarter mile along this valley, but so was the village.  Everyone had left, it seemed.  We weren’t there to hurt or kill the natives; we weren’t savages.  But the valley was quiet, the village was desolate, and we marched with caution waiting to see if this was some sort of isolated ambush…we were prepared.  I thought their spirits would have been too demoralized, but then again, I’d been wrong so many times before. 
We walked into the village, with shacks made of mud and sticks.  The smell was awful.  Small puddles of grey liquid lurked along the dirt pathways.  There was no fire, no smoke.  No sound.
Suddenly, my captain (who had ventured just a few steps ahead of us) put up his hand, motioning us to stop.  He was looking to his left around the corner of one particularly awful-looking shack, its roof half caved in.  Then, he motioned us to come forward.  I walked up to his position, slowly looking around the corner to get a look at whatever caught the sight of my captain.  There, sitting on a rock, was an old man.  His eyes were half open; his hair was grey and white.  He had brown, leathery skin with black spots and wore absolutely nothing.  But I could see his hands and feet…he had nothing to hide, though it was odd that he was just sitting there staring.
My captain called out to him, “Hey!  You!  Where is—ah God-dam—where’s Pak?”  He was referring to our translator, a tall soldier with glasses.  He didn’t talk much to us.  Pak briskly moved to the captain’s side.  “Ask him where the other villagers are.”
Pak spoke in the language of this nation.  The old man opened his eyes slightly, as if to express that he was paying attention, but he did not respond. 
“Ask him what happened here,” commanded my captain.  Pak again shouted to the old man, who did nothing but stare back.
“All right then,” said my captain.  “Koa!  Radio into home base.  Tell ‘em—“
At that moment, the old man started laughing loudly.  It frightened a few of the soldiers, just for a second out of surprise.  They looked back at him with confused expressions.  He kept on laughing.
“Who is he laughing at?” I asked, sort of rhetorically.  “Us?”
“He’s probably just screwing with us,” said a soldier behind me.  “At least this guy’s got a sense of humor.”
But he continued on laughing, almost manically.  I wondered myself what he was laughing at.  I tried not to scare myself, thinking we were in some sort of trap.  The old man’s eyes were wide open now…his wrinkles were so evident on his face, that we could see the cast shadows from that distance away.  His stomach muscles were contracting with every breath.
“What now Captain?” asked another soldier.
“Ignore him,” my captain said immediately.  “Come on Koa, just radio in already.  Next squad’s gotta get up here before the sun gets down…I’m not spending another night getting’ eaten alive.”
The old man continued to laugh.  Perhaps at us?  Perhaps at his situation?  Did he think we were going to take him prisoner?  Kill him?  I was thinking too much into it…we began to set up our post. 

The next story will be about survival.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 02:13:32 pm »
Survival

Any country he touched with his hand bled gold, and they all bowed down at his feet to have a chance at his wealth and prosperity, giving him the opportunity to influence local governments and place people of political power at his disposal and command.  He burned the jungles, replacing them with the long, black, glass-like structures that had the slightest tinge of green, the photosynthetic unit factories that would employ much of the population, eradicating disease as every tree fell beneath the arm of his conglomerate, the new monarchy.  He laid down grey concrete and steel, carbon, the base for the future and the tried-and-tested past, the old world’s glory swept across the massacre of nature, a precedent set by Information City decades before.  He gave them roads and advanced the traffic control systems to handle the massive population of humans that had infected every level and every corner of the earth, skyscrapers that reached the heavens in grandiose architecture, eclipsed by the spire, the tallest tower in every city, his watchful eye and a symbol of his domination, the epitome of every skyline.
And the world converged underneath his hand.  War was a long forgotten nightmare, buried away under the shadow of Project Nectarine, whose laser-equipped satellites circled the earth in preparation to fire at a moment’s notice with precision that could distinguish between individual people in a crowd, the same project that led to the destruction of the world’s most coveted city, the project that directly led to the conglomerate’s manifestation of the world; people saw them in the sky, passing slowly above their heads, moving stars in the night sky, hanging 200 miles above the earth in perfect orbit, waiting.  The developing world became the developed, rising above the memories of poverty and war, death and destruction, placing their trust in the conglomerate, who would keep them safe.  There would always be enough food, enough water.  Mothers would no longer have to make the decision of feeding their child or themselves, children would never have to see their mothers starve as they fed them their final meals, and fathers and husbands would no longer die in wars they didn’t believe in or were coerced into fighting or were caught in the conflict.  And as they pledged their faith, he came and built infrastructure, telecommunications, and economy.
Developed nations became congruent with the conglomerate and adjusted their laws and constitutions to cater to the massive hand, to ease the transition to a better age of openness and harmony, regressing back from democracy which had destroyed itself beneath its own weight, relinquishing power in favor of money, money in favor of wealth, wealth in favor of superficial happiness and meaning, all to what they believed to be an unbiased mind and hand.  The distractions of sorrow and hardship no longer had meaning as humans from these nations searched for greater existence in their thoughts and actions, looking to themselves rather than their conglomerate to distinguish happiness from happiness.  The old morals were destroyed.  Humans adjusted their bodies and minds, becoming unrecognizable humanoids, however restricted by the conglomerate.  And as time moved on, they resented his hand, and affirmed their individuality over all other humanoids…but they had built their bodies with his hand and his wealth and his mind and plan, and by then it was too late to revert to the old world, for the new world had taken their lives by the will of the people as rampant consumerism destroyed the soul of the people, rendered shells, mere metadata that his supercomputers would analyze, tabulate, and feed into the network of the conglomerate, ready to predict every move of society, every decision and every thought.  But they continued to live, to breath, to wake up to the sun rising above the mist of the city as holograms adjusted their contrast optimally for the eye to see and giant screens and speakers echoed the latest news, advertisements, and propaganda.
Their children had children, skyscrapers grew taller, roads grew longer and more networked, their minds intertwined with the conglomerate, armed with a passion to serve.  The rate of technological advancements increased steadily, then exponentially, as mankind set foot permanently on the moon, then Mars, then Titan, planting the corporate flag, and etching their handprints in the rocks, showing the empty universe their presence and that they were capable of expanding to every corner of the universe at will, for time was an illusion.  The executives of the conglomerate had ultimate control over their species and the countless species they had created through the spirit of a man who had died ages before in the heart of Information City, the day of the blast, at the top of the central tower, looking upon his city, wanting for the world, the whole world, who bowed down at his feet to have a chance at his wealth and prosperity, the fictitious man who lived on in memory, in the hearts of the people, of the humans, the humanoids, who looked upon themselves as if they were chosen for something they could not imagine but would ascend to, someday.  They built to build because they could.
Atoms proved too large and the cosmos proved too small as conscious mind left frail body in favor of permanency in the scale of time.  And as he became He, as time became unapparent, as galaxies began and ended, expanded and contracted, He wandered the void of time and space looking to prevail upon those restrictive dimensions into the new and to end the perceived cycle, to destroy Himself and all that existed around him.  And so it was.  

And with that, I've finished all the words in my queue!  :)  So now, it begins again...

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 01:03:49 am »
what of the word Deck. That the word in my head right now, so....WRITE! :D

PLUR