Author Topic: Starting A Short Story?  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
Starting A Short Story?
« on: June 24, 2013, 03:16:09 pm »
I wanted to ask those of you who are writers here a question or two. I've been writing since I was in the fifth grade (I graduated from high school in 2010 if that helps), and I have only a few completed works. Anyhow, could you writers here answer these two questions please:

• How do you start your short stories out?
  • How do you keep Writer's Block away?
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Re: Starting A Short Story?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:17:20 pm »
   I haven't written very many stories, but I usually start a story giving the
reader a little background and the setting for the story. Then I do the same for
the main characters so the reader can pick up on their  personalities. Not all at
once of course  Then as the story progresses one can add more when needed.

I don't think there is any magic way of dealing with writers block. It's part of
what every creative person has to deal with now and then. I usually just set
the story or drawing aside for a day or two. Sometimes a fresh look helps.

Hope that's helpful. :orbunny:

One other thing that might help. Write stories you like, trying to write something
you really don't care about will make it much harder to write a good story. Write to
please your self, not others.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:24:11 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:36 pm »
Alright. I'll try that out.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline KatAddy

• Female
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:48:35 pm »
Well heres an interesting thing to remember next time you have writers block. The right side of your brain (which controls the left side of your body) is the part of the brain which is most active when you come up with creative ideas. So in theory if you stimulate that side of your brain (by writing/drawing/doodling with your left hand) you can come up with creative ideas faster.

A more practical technique that I use is that when you are feeling creative make a list of everything you want to write about before you start writing or make an outline. Then when you get writers block just go back to the list and try writing something from one of the things on there!

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 02:59:10 pm »
I didn't know that. I might just try that. Not too long ago, I had a brief break in my writer's block. However, I only got two paragraphs written on something before it went away.
--Mewtwo

Offline Wooden Skull

• WE ARE A JUSTICE SANDWICH -- NO TOPPINGS NECESSARY
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 04:02:51 pm »
I wanted to ask those of you who are writers here a question or two. I've been writing since I was in the fifth grade (I graduated from high school in 2010 if that helps), and I have only a few completed works. Anyhow, could you writers here answer these two questions please:

• How do you start your short stories out?
  • How do you keep Writer's Block away?

When you want to start, first you have to establish what you want your reader to know. Think of it like laying the foundations, which all of the story will be built upon.

Starting with a simple, hypothetical fantasy story, we'll establish a character and his world.

We want to give the character a name, we'll call him Thorian. We want Thorian to be a very noble, courageous knight, so what better way than to start off in battle? This way, we can show how Thorian fights, what is running through his mind as he swings his sword, and how much of an accomplished fighter he is.

This is a strong, attention-grabbing scenario that leaves a ton more open to tweak. Say that you want the reader to know right off the bat who the bad guy is. We'd describe the main villain watching over the battle. Perhaps in person if he is a bloodthirsty warmonger? Maybe he is a crafty general and watches from the hills? Or he could be a cunning, manipulative wizard who observes his machinations from a crystal ball all the way in the mountains?

Is Thorian protecting people? Are there any people in the town/village/castle that he is especially keen on protecting? Family? Love interest?

These are all questions you can answer, or even leave open when establishing the beginning of your short story, and are things to keep in mind. It's easy to get ahead of yourself and start planning specific things down the line, but if you forget that the reader doesn't know all that you do, all of the little details that help make those things great that NEED to be addressed at the beginning of the story, you'll fall flat on your face. Even worse, you'll feel like the intro is just something you HAVE to get out of the way and either you'll rush it or you'll just lose interest in the project as a whole.

Trust me when I say that setting up the story is a simple matter, and can be one of the most fun parts of writing, but you have to ask yourself all of those questions and set goals.

Now, as for the second part, let's go back to the hypothetical situation. Say that we are hammering things out, and then we get to the bad guy. He's standing there, and he's supposed to say something, something meaningful and foreboding but you just cannot figure it out! There are a few things you can try to do to solve this mess.

First, try playing the scene out in your head. Go into detail, think of how the sun glints off his armour, or perhaps the way he holds his evil glowy sword thing. Get a feel for his character, try to think of what YOU would say if you were right there, standing in his shoes. If that doesn't work, look at other villains. That's not to say pilfer, but DEFINITELY look at what made other speeches great.

Now say you're still drawing blanks. Try playing music that goes along with the scene, or the character, something that can give you the energy for the scene, or perhaps slow everything down. Something expressive and symbolic of what you are trying to write. Often music will give you that little white noise to focus on, and put you in a mindset conducive to your current project.

Third, go the Stephen King route. Stephen King has said on many an occasion, if you don't get it down perfect the first time, just write whatever and come back to it later. Get going, don't let it stall the entire project. Write in that our villain said "Three scones are worth ten pence each!" or some nonsense along the lines, or perhaps even "I AM SAYING SOMETHING OMINOUS OR FOREBODING" so you can come back and write something PROPERLY ominous or foreboding. This will help you get "unstuck" for the moment and continue the story. You can come back later, after all!

Sorry for the essay, but I hope this gives you some advice you can use.
I don't think he's done...

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 05:09:33 pm »
Thanks for the help. And don't be sorry for typing out a lot. Your response helped out a lot ^^
--Mewtwo

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 03:26:18 pm »
Thinking back to when I started out writing seriously, right after I got out of college, I knew that finishing projects was a challenge for me.  At that point, I had two unfinished novels to my name -- and that was it.  So, I wanted to prove to myself that I could finish projects.  Thus, I decided to start out writing short stories -- that gave me less of a chance to get stuck in the middle.  So, for my first story, I worked out a complete plot in my head for a throw-away story that I knew I didn't care about and wouldn't ever want anyone to read.  (Also, I set it in this world with no speculative elements -- that made it boring but easier.)  Writing that throw-away story let me practice completing a story without any pressure to do it well.  And, after I finished it, I had a lot more confidence in my ability to finish a project.

These days, when I get stuck in my writing, it's usually because I haven't really figured out what I want to say in the story yet.  So, usually the solution lies in doing more brainstorming and freethinking about the plot of the story, the personality of the characters, or even just the details of the world.

Also, one of the ways I stave off writers' block is by working on three or four projects at a time.  That way, if I get stuck on one, then I can just switch to a different one.  Though, I only do this with short stories -- I haven't tried working on more than one novel at a time.

I hope some of that helps!
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline ELKIN

• Chris and Cooper Elkin
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 05:11:46 am »
Super short tips that get me through the writing process:

- Plan ahead. Know your ending, know your beginning. You'll fill in the middle later.

- As for writer's block: just allow yourself to write crap. Really. Allow yourself to just put words down even if you dislike every single one of them. Then, later on, you'll review and re-edit that part only to discover that you can completely restructure it to your liking. :D

Hope it helps.