Author Topic: Iara's Writing Corner-Prompt Challenge!  (Read 31319 times)

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
Re: Iara's Writing Corner-Prompt Challenge!
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2017, 01:34:15 am »
I have one for you. Through The Arctic
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:36:50 am by Amducious »
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2017, 12:28:52 pm »
A fine job on "ILK" Iara.  Well written as always.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2017, 06:40:25 pm »
Thank you, Old Rabbit!

I will add your phrase to the list, Amducious.  (:

Thank you both for your readership  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:49:33 am by Iara Warriorfeather »
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2017, 07:58:06 pm »
Awesome look forward to it ^^

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2017, 12:57:05 am »
Sorry for the delay! I will post more tales very soon. The holiday and semester have overwhelmed me!  :-[

Thanks again for your readership and patience!
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2017, 12:39:07 pm »
The loud explosion jarred him awake and nearly out of his tent. He fumbled for his lenses, shouldered his khaki shirt, and furtively peered out his tent, his ears pricked for the slightest sound.

The hillside collapsed, the earth slumped inward and clouds of dust and debris filled the dawning sky. The lion in the khaki shirt yawned, shaking his blonde mane. How many months have I been out here, anyway? Not a single bone fragment worth taking back. Damn that other expedition and that other site, they have found everything we need…

He grunted, padding across the campsite to the newly formed crater. The earthmovers hauled tons of rock and debris away, several other paleontologists carefully surveying before signaling the drivers to keep digging at the sandstone walls.

He sat, disinterested, on a boulder being warmed by the sun. He opened his canteen and drank, squinting at the sunlight.

“No luck yet, but we’ve broken through the first few layers of strata. There’s got to be more to find,” a raven clapped his primaries on the lion’s shoulder. The lion grimaced, pulling his whiskers back in disgust, and sighed.

“Doubtful,” he shook his head. “We’ve been here for months. We’d be better off saving up for next year, packing up and heading home with our tails between our legs.”

The raven chuckled, a hoarse clackityclack. “You’re young. You can take more time!”

“More time? We have been here so long, my mane is grown past my legs!”

A red tailed hawk swooped in on the conversation, shuffling her feet and preening nervously. “Hey guys!” she chirruped, a mug of tea in her primaries.

“Oh, hey,” the males grunted.

“No frags yet,” she sighed. “I’ve combed through a ton of sites, and I’ve never had this bad of luck before!”

The lion pinched the bridge of his muzzle, growling. “I probably dragged in all the bad luck.”

“Nonsense!” the raven warbled. “Eh, these things happen sometimes. It’s the way our work goes—either we come back with specimens in our wildest dreams, or with a whole lot of—“

“Nothing!” howled a husky, his tongue hanging out. What he was doing so far from the cold of the north, stranded in a desert of all places, the lion would never know. “We keep coming up short, boss. We need to head home.”

The husky, lion and hawk glanced at the raven, waiting for the response they wished for, to go home. Hot showers, soft beds, good food...

A spotted hyena ran in, her heavy boots and grinning maw interrupting that ray of hope.

“We found it! We found it!” she yelped.

“Found what?” the raven croaked, tilting his head at the huffing and puffing hyena.

“The whale…the last whale specimen of the Anthropocene!”

The lion, hawk and husky jumped up, their energy suddenly renewed. The raven chortled as he watched them follow the hyena to the paydirt.

An enormous baleen whale jaw jutted from the sandstone, entombed with bits of plastic and fishing net that was ubiquitous in the marine Anthropocene strata. It was nearly complete, and the team was enthusiastically digging away, careful to expose the bone one section of earth at a time.

“It’s so weird and incredible, isn’t it?!” the hyena panted. “Seeing our ancestors, rising from the dirt as they might have risen from the ocean depths…”

A pang of sadness struck the lion as he gently brushed sand and plastic pieces away from the bone. “It…its jaw…it’s intact but…look…”

Everyone winced, realizing the creature’s baleen plates were covered in the remnants of inedible plastics, fishing line, and the glint of microchip pieces.

“Plastic.” The husky shook his head. “Man, that stuff…it’s in almost every layer. It caused a huge extinction event, huh?”

“It’s a contributing factor, yes,” the raven nodded, inspecting the paleontologists’ work as they went.

“Remember those albatross specimens we found a few years back? Those chicks were well preserved, their gut contents were nothing but broken plastics…” the hyena spat in the dirt, disgusted.

The hawk shivered, fluffing herself. “Ugh, don’t remind me!”

“Sorry,” the hyena shrugged, narrowing her eyes at the chunk of dentary she was clearing.

The lion felt conflicted as he continued to excavate. He wondered what other horrors the epoch held.

Eh, it can’t be nearly as bad as the explosion this morning.
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2017, 06:03:12 pm »
Thanks for that Iara!

Thanks to your descriptive language and scene setting skills, I was easily transported to a hot dry climate covered with red-brown soil and some grasses, with many outcropping layers of sandstone and shale.   I could imagine the lion and husky working in a small canon, while the hawk and raven surveyed the area from above.  I could imagine the characters toiling in the unbearable heat, even though the sun was setting.  (some of this I may have imagined, but you made it easy for my mind to add to the story)

Voicing the characters out loud added to the effect.  I wasn't sure if they would find whatever it was that they were looking for.  But when I learned of what they had discovered I was upset  :(  , for I realized that the Anthropocene Epoch was not a made up word, it is the present time!  And now I fear what I read was a look into the future where plastics are misused to the determent of the world!   It made me think! Plastics do not degrade, they very well may be preserved!  What will the future think of the present generations?

Good work Iara!  :)
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2017, 01:01:42 pm »
I agree Iara. You did a fine job with this story.

All the best for a Happy New Year in 2018. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2017, 05:10:30 pm »
Thank you Jade and Old Rabbit! Happy New Year to you also!  :D
Furry Code:

My art and such

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2018, 09:41:44 pm »
Isolation

The stillness of the rainforest was broken by a rush of wind and a clap of thunder, breaking the sound barrier.  Startled from her sleep, she snuck over, watching the arrival of an unusual visitor to her home from her hiding place.

He was in a clearing. The surrounding rainforest foliage was dense and colorful. Butterflies floated by in the warm air, and the birds in the canopy were temporarily silenced. A secluded hut was in the distance, its presence barely detected.

She studied him, her tail twitching. He was a blue hedgehog with green eyes, his red and white shoes covered in dust from miles of running. He looked around, and called out, “Hello? Hey, Shadow! Get back here!”

His taunt was met with silence. She crept closer, her rosette covered pelt hiding her in the shadows of the underbrush.

“Huh?” he swiveled an ear, his nose twitching. “Who’s there?!” He clenched and unclenched his fists, posturing himself in preparation for an attack.

She scented him in the still air, and decided he was no threat. She showed herself, a jaguar in simple hide tatters. She had bright green eyes, mid length brown hair, and a necklace with an ammonite shell pendant. She huffed, “What brings you here, Hedgehog?”

“Oh!” the blue hedgehog jumped a little, startled by her presence. Then, he smirked, relaxing slightly. “I’m after a black hedgehog. He looks a lot like me. Have you seen him?”

“Afraid not,” the jaguar replied.

“You’d better get going,” the blue hedgehog advised. “That black hedgehog and his cronies have decided to blow this whole forest up!”

“What?!” the jaguar was stunned. She gazed at her beautiful enclave, its tranquility the reason for her isolation. Tears filled her eyes. “Why? This place…it’s my home!”

“I’m sorry, I wish I had more answers.” The blue hedgehog shook his head, his smile fading. “I’m on my way outta here, you want to follow me?”

“…my home…” the jaguar fell to her knees, deeply saddened. She sobbed.

“Hey!” the blue hedgehog knelt next to her, lifted her chin. “You know, if it makes you feel any better, I don’t really have a place like this to call home. In fact…I don’t remember the last time I felt home.”

“…really?”

“Yeah…it’s…well, it’s why I like to run. I love to be free, y’know? No place and nobody to tie me down. Heh. Running…does take its toll. But it’s what I know and it’s what I can do better than anyone else!”

A distant explosion rumbled, tearing the silence of the canopy apart. Birds and insects fled in droves, their cries filling the air.

“Speaking of running, we’d better go!”

He stretched out his gloved paw to her, waiting.

She looked up at him, his grin defiant despite the pain he had endured. She looked at her home one last time.

She took his paw, and took a deep breath.

“Just hold on, okay? I can run really fast!” he warned. He took several cleansing breaths, then, squeezing the jaguar’s hand, bolted away. The jaguar gasped, stunned by the sudden takeoff. “By the way!...” he mentioned in between bursts of speed, leaping over logs and branches, “…the name’s Sonic! Sonic the Hedgehog!”

“I’m…”

“MOONGAZE!” her father’s voice tore the air, interrupting her reverie. She sat dazed in front of the screen, the controller in her paws warm from her touch. She was shaking, wishing she was a million miles away, on an adventure to somewhere new and welcoming, rather than being stuck in the isolation of her room. She sighed, turning off the console.

**Backstory**
I've always enjoyed Sonic the Hedgehog. I was introduced to him in the early 90s, when the Sega Genesis came out. I played Sonic 2 constantly. When the Sega Dreamcast debuted, I played Sonic Adventure and then Sonic Adventure 2, which I later owned. I loved Sonic Adventure 2. The story was cheesy but the gameplay and the music drew me in. I drew all kinds of Sonic comics during the early 2000s, influenced heavily by Archie comics, Sonic SatAM (which I also watched constantly as a youngster) and Sonic Adventure 2. I wanted to go to Sonic Boom to celebrate Sonic's 20th anniversary, but my funds and embarrassment of being a Sonic fan in my 20s myself made me shy away from the Sonic fandom. I still enjoy playing Sonic games...I attempted Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors on Steam, and I managed to get through Sonic Forces on the XBox. Sonic is an odd source of comfort for me, and was one of the main reasons I identify as a furry today.

Enjoy the story!  :D

My favorite Sonic Forces track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56INRdm0rQo
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2018, 12:09:21 pm »
A good story as usual Iara. 

I never played the Sonic games due to my vision.
I did like the cartoons of Sonic the Hedgehog. All
those characters were intertaining. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2018, 11:44:29 pm »
Thank you Old Rabbit! Your continued readership and enjoyment of my work is much appreciated! :3

I will add more stories in time--I have one more to write for the challenge; if anyone would like to add a word or phrase, please do so!
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2018, 01:07:28 pm »
Here is two phrases.  Or it could be three counting this one.  :D

I found a tail

it's so weird when you do that.

oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2018, 10:04:54 pm »
Hi readers!

I am behind on posting new stories!  :-[  I've been adding to my novel Iara's Crossing and I am in the process of writing my alt fursona's story also. I will work on the
phrases Through the Arctic and I found a tail/it's so weird when you do that asap!

Thank you for your continued readership/patience!

~Iara
Furry Code:

My art and such

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2018, 05:08:40 pm »
Through the Arctic

Eloise raised her paws to protect her muzzle as a bitter cold wind howled past her ears, biting at them as it whipped by. She had been making her ascent all morning, the steel ladders slippery and slick with ice.

She trudged through the blankets of snow, waist deep in it, her skin shivering and fur saturated despite her winter coat, water resistant boots and scarf. She fell multiple times, but her goal was in sight, the hint of blue in the distance like a burning light, a beacon in the cold and dark.

She flexed and relaxed her numb paws, breathing on them occasionally to feel them working again. She took ragged, gasping breaths as the cold air stabbed her throat and lungs. Just another few steps…

Eloise cried out in agonized euphoria as she had finally reached the object buried in the snow. She reluctantly removed her thick gloves and tears sprung to her eyes as the cold whipped her freed paws. She dug frantically, tearing away at the ice as a dog excitedly tears at the earth, hoping for hidden treasure.

The blue monolith was finally freed from the ice, and Eloise quickly replaced her gloves as she held it close to her chest. She turned around, stumbling, and began to make her way toward the steel ladders to start her descent.

Her boots slicked back and she gasped in terror, clinging to the ice covered rails above her and the newfound treasure for dear life. Her scarf unraveled, swaying toward the dark abyss below.

She stood there, paralyzed in fear. Her whiskers quivered, growing heavy with ice at their tips. Her breath steamed on the wind, her nose instantly numb once exposed. The cold and the darkness enshrouded her, the light fading away. She had to hurry down, had to get out of the vast wasteland and return to the warmth and safety of base camp.

Eloise mustered up the courage to continue climbing down, gingerly setting each boot down one rung at a time. Each motion was slow, steady. The monolith nearly slipped from her paws and arms as she descended, but at last her boots touched solid ground.

She was relieved the snowpack had lessened considerably, and gasped for breath. She could feel the warmth beckoning her…the light suddenly beamed all around her, casting everything into faint shadows and bright luminance…

The door was swung wide. The silouhette of a unicorn with a spiked mane blocked out the light momentarily, and Eloise shielded her eyes before offering the monolith as if in sacrifice.

In the distance cheerful music was playing:
I’m still standing
Better than I ever did
Feelin’ like a true survivor
Feelin’ like a little kid

The giant pastel pink unicorn smiled, taking Eloise and the monolith into her huge hooved paw gently.

“Thank you, Eloise,” she nuzzled the mouse kindly, and set her into a waiting hot tub area.

Then, loudly to the rest of the bakery: “Frosting’s here! Let’s get those cupcakes finished up!”
Furry Code:

My art and such

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2018, 07:12:48 pm »
I found a tail/it's so weird when you do that!

Moongaze set the pastel unicorn head on her own head and neck, careful to adjust the eyes so she could see through the mesh. She felt for the snaps on her hooved paw gloves, and set them with a sharp click. She sat down, fumbled for the boots that had been transformed into feathered hooves, and slid her tennis shoe covered hindpaws into them gently. She then stood, and went to the mirror, gazing at her new reflection longingly.

“Hey!” Jay purred, poking his muzzle around the corner, violating her privacy. They had agreed that suiting was a solo thing for Moongaze, and that doing so was a private glee, never shared with anyone outside the studio Jay was renting for his artwork business. Moongaze shot him a dark look, but all he could see were those teal orbs of the unicorn costume glaring at him. He shrank back around the corner of her room, waving her pastel tail at her as if she were playing with a feathered rod. “I found this tail—is it yours?” he teased.

“Give that to me,” she huffed. She snatched the tail away and attached it carefully, sliding her own tail through the expanding loops, creating the illusion that she and the unicorn were truly one being. She turned to Jay. “Well? What do you think?”

Jay grinned, his sabers glinting in the light. Moongaze spun around, wobbling a little as she did so. He shook his head in mild condescension. Jay was an artist, true, but he wasn’t as open minded as the profession let on.

“Honestly?” he huffed, the air whistling slightly past his sabers. The effect was a constant lisp—and muted his growls and purrs somewhat.

“You don’t like it?” Moongaze warbled sadly, stopping her prancing. She limped, ready for the verbal blow her lover was about to give.

“Moongaze,” Jay approached her. He rubbed her shoulders gently. “It’s so weird when you do this. Why can’t you just…be happy being you?”

“But…I am me,” Moongaze sighed weakly. “I’m happy in this! Can’t you be happy for me, too?”

Jay sighed. He grinned and pressed his lips against her unicorn head’s muzzle gently. “I’m just worried, is all. Other furs might not like this. You will get made fun of. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I don’t understand, Jay!” Moongaze muttered, the tears starting yet again. She took a deep breath, trying to stop her anxiety and frustration from spiking. “You’re an artist—I thought you would appreciate performance art, this costume took me a long time to make! And you helped me with it, too! Come on…do I look okay in it?”

Jay bit his upper lip, chuffed a ragged sigh of disappointment. “I wish you would stop hiding in this thing when you feel sad or insecure. It doesn’t seem healthy, at least not to me. And you’ve been chatting with so many strangers online—you tell them things about you that you never tell me!”

“Jay,” Moongaze tried to explain for the umpteenth time, quelling his jealousy, “I have this hobby that makes me happy. You have your hobbies, too. I am glad to have friends who like what I do and who I am. Do you like this part of me?”

Jay and Moongaze sat across from one another on overturned wooden crates. The studio was technically an attic in an abandoned warehouse in New Los Angeles, with string lights and canvases, paint buckets and brushes strewn haphazardly around the small space. Moongaze fondly remembered being in Jay’s arms late at night, cuddling in his blankets and sipping tea as he sketched hummingbirds for her in the faint starlight. Now it seemed the lovers were enemies, always trying to seek each others’ weak points.

“Moongaze, I do like you for you. I am concerned that this hobby of yours will ruin your reputation at the University. You’re a graduate student doing serious work—if they find out on the weekends you parade around as some kind of punk unicorn…well…”

“Jay, who cares? Lots of furs have hobbies and strange things they like. Why can’t I?”

Jay turned away from her. He tossed his head back and sighed, his jaw twitching in quiet anger.

“I don’t want you going out in that. At all. Keep it here, like we agreed. Leave this stuff for the bedroom, or whatever, okay?”

Moongaze sighed, hanging her head. She felt so helpless to do anything, because Jay was right. She slowly took off the unicorn head and stared sadly at him, her hair a matted mess of sweat, her eyes filled with tears.

“Okay.”

She slowly removed the suit and packed it away in her overnight duffel bag. She zipped it up quietly, its teal orbs pleading as the darkness consumed them.
It would be years before Moongaze snuck back into the attic, snatched the duffel, and decided she would be who she was without shame and secrecy…

**Background music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuwfgXD8qV8
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2018, 01:22:07 pm »
Good story Iara. I imagine may people have similar problems
with the fandom. Many people want to judge others instead
of accepting their feelings and things they enjoy.

Here is a new word  "ensue" .

oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2018, 12:33:38 am »
Thank you Old Rabbit! Your word is added to the list!  :)
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2018, 09:59:24 pm »
Very nice Iara! 
Again, you took me into a place new to me.   You set the scene well!
I could "see" most of what was happening.   

Please continue writing your stories!

(Name that tune!)

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2018, 01:31:16 am »
Thank you kindly, Jade! Your readership means a lot to me!  :)
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2018, 11:37:57 pm »
Loved the story I’ve re-read it a couple times now ^^. Great job!!!  :) :) :)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2018, 12:48:53 pm »
What about...
"He shattered his femur, and water was running low"
If that is too "directive" you do not have to use it.
(Name that tune!)

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2018, 11:46:45 pm »
Loved the story I’ve re-read it a couple times now ^^. Great job!!!  :) :) :)

Thank you so much Amducious!  :)

What about...
"He shattered his femur, and water was running low"
If that is too "directive" you do not have to use it.

I will definitely add that phrase to the list, thanks Jade!

:)
Furry Code:

My art and such

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2018, 01:09:29 am »
Ensue

Moongaze the jaguar clung to her backpack handles nervously as the train pulled into the station in the heart of downtown New Los Angeles. She wore her Dog Groban tee shirt without shame—it was a large black tee, with the Labrador retriever’s mug plastered in an all over picture in the center—and decided to wear her dark blue jeggings with it. The other train passengers shook their heads at her—she was no teenager, but Moongaze felt like an exhilarated teen all over again, thrilled with the possibility of meeting her crush in furson at long last. It had been years since she went to a concert, and she decided to go it alone—to treat herself, as Xena the pitbull called it—rather than with her mate, Jay, or her friends. She began to regret the decision as she boarded the even more crowded transfer bus to the concert hall, and her heart sank on seeing the sea of furs waiting for their star singer to arrive.

Moongaze found the line for autographs and she joined the throng, hoping he would sign the artwork she brought with her. She hadn’t spent her whole life on the piece, which was of the singer in a variety of poses and in appropriate business casual attire, but she put her heart into it, channeling his warm energy into her work. She was in line behind a chatty group of furs—two jaguars, a gray vixen, a tiger and a rabbit, among other canines. One jaguar seemed vaguely familiar to her—they had a blue tipped mane and a melanistic coat with blue rosettes. The melanistic jaguar’s skin tight, colorful leggings and crisp overcoat with a loosely wrapped silk scarf put Moongaze’s baggy concert tee and plain jeggings to shame.

“How long is the line?” the rabbit asked, grunting in irritation at the sea of furries around them.

“It’s probably a mile before the concert hall,” grunted the tiger, rolling his eyes.

“We’ll get there, when we get there,” reassured the melanistic jaguar, shaking her head at her friends’ impatience.

“I hope he doesn’t just take off,” Moongaze overheard the group ahead of her. The group stared at her as if she was incredibly rude, and the melanistic jaguar grinned gently at her interjection.

“I hear he’s so nice to his fans!” a canine whimpered, a Borzoi by Moongaze’s reckoning. “I’m sure he’ll stay for us!”

“Keep dreamin,’ sweetheart,” gruffed a mouse by Moongaze’s feet. “We’re at the end of the line—there’s no way he’ll stick around for us latecomers!”

“Don’t mind her,” the melanistic jaguar tsked, again meeting eyes with Moongaze in quiet recognition. “I’m sure things will work out, somehow…”

Moongaze sighed, feeling drained. It had been two hours since she joined the line for autographs, and the concert would begin in less than half an hour. Her feetpaws ached, and her backpack seemed unusually heavy. Suddenly, a beefy bulldog bouncer approached the end of the line.

“The official end of the line is here,” he grunted, stopping Moongaze before she could advance another step. He placed a plastic sign on the ground denoting and reiterating his point with an angry red text of LINE ENDS HERE.

“But!” Moongaze sighed, feeling the tears starting. “I’ve been here so long and…I just wanted one autograph…!”

“Sorry, ma’am!” the bulldog pointed toward the ticket kiosks, which were practically empty by the time she retrieved her online tickets.

Moongaze realized her seats were in the highest row of the stadium—while she could hear her beloved canine idol, she wouldn’t be able to see him well at all. She sighed, wiping her tears away with a paw hastily as she ascended the steps to her row of seats.

Some date for myself this turned out to be, she thought angrily as the stage lights began to swivel and the crowd became excited. She took several deep breaths, trying to reassure herself—and the jaguar’s voice broke her anxious thoughts—things will work out, somehow.

Moongaze’s thoughts dissipated as the orchestra began to tune up, their arpeggios beautiful in comparison to her squeaky ill practiced ones on a rental violin she had snagged from an abandoned Guitar Center parking lot. The thrill of the strings and the drums, the careful plucking of a Spanish guitarist…then, her heart stood still as he took the stage. The Labrador retriever wore his black suit jacket, white button down top and dark jeans which contrasted his cream coat, soft brown eyes and curly dark mop. The canine began to sing, his voice powerful and beautiful. Moongaze felt her jaw drop a little and fresh tears sprung to her eyes as his voice carried even to her in the heights of the concert hall, making her heart pound and soar with each crescendo and piano warble of his baritone.

The concert ended as abruptly as it had begun, but Moongaze sat motionless, her eyes fixed on the canine that had stolen her heart with his voice. She felt like she was floating above her chair, and she snapped back to reality once she realized everyone around her had left the concert hall and headed for home. She watched the singer, guarded by his bouncers and staff, be escorted to the offstage area, and Moongaze gasped, nearly forgetting that she wanted to get his autograph!

She rushed toward the stage, nearly calling for him, when she bumped into the group of furs she had interrupted earlier. The melanistic jaguar caught her, and asked, “Hey! You alright?”

“M-m-my autograph!” was all Moongaze could stammer, looking for the canine that had so swiftly vanished into the darkness of the night in the big city.

“Here!” the jaguar shoved a pass into her paw and urged her to hurry, tilting their head toward the canine.

“This is a backstage pass?!” Moongaze cried out, stunned by the kind gesture.

“Take it!” the jaguar growled. “You’d better hurry! He’s off to get ready for the next stop on his tour!”

Moongaze stared at the pass, and recognized the jaguar’s name, reading it silently. As she looked up, the melanistic jaguar grinned knowingly. The jaguar winked at her and joined her friends, and Moongaze took her departure as a cue to follow the errant Labrador.

“Excuse me—sir! Dog Groban!!” Moongaze called out as she ran toward the canine and his escorts. The beefy bulldog bouncer frowned at her and immediately began to growl, but the Labrador pressed his paw into the muscular dog’s shoulder with a gentle squeeze, facing the panting feline.

“Hey!” the Labrador panted, his grin genuine and his large brown eyes sparkling in mirth at the disheveled jaguar before him. He noted her attire, and tossed his head a little as he said, “Ah! A fan, I see! You’ve got a pass? Cool! Nice to meet you—uh---!” The canine gracefully extended a paw toward the awestruck jaguar.

“Moongaze!” was all she could blurt as their paws met. His paws are so warm! she thought, but stowed it as she dug out her drawing. “May I…get your autograph?” she stammered, handing over the art. The escort had crowded around them in a protective circle, and the bulldog had finally relaxed.

“Hey! That’s pretty good!” Dog Groban chuckled, his eyes widening as he studied the piece. “Got a pen on ya?” Moongaze handed over a Sharpie, her paws shaking. She felt so anxious, almost giddy as she watched him think for a moment, then sign the paper with a practiced flourish. “Here ya go!” He handed back the art as carefully as he would any piece of precious art. “You know of any place to grab a coffee? We need some for the road!” he asked Moongaze directly after she put the art away.

Moongaze felt the heat from her blush race toward her ears, searing her cheeks. “Um…yeah. I know a place. It’s by the old Natural History Museum…”

“Awesome! Boys, let’s go for a walk, huh?” the canine grinned, offering his arm to her. Moongaze trembled and grinned madly as she directed them toward her favorite coffee shop, thinking of the melanistic jaguar's gift the whole way.

~~Music to accompany the story! https://youtu.be/wKbXmuUXito~~
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline FarFar

• Species: Anthro Canine / Corgi
  • Male
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2018, 08:04:48 am »
Bravo! *claps paws together in applause*

Wonderful story! Went over some of your other ones. Equally good! Keep up the great work!  :)

How about "Contrast"? I thought about "coffee" as it is one of my favorite things *sips his third cup of the morning*, but I see you used it in your last story.

Again, great stuff!

FarFar

I took the red pill....
I took the red pill...