Author Topic: high tech. low resource environment  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Zantyago

• Species: Badger/goat taur
  • Male
high tech. low resource environment
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:28:36 am »
I am writing a novel whwere all the character look furries but they really arent, they are just descendants of the first human/animal underclasses.

but the focal pint is that, Hvae you developed a world in which the technology ishigh but th means to apply doesnt let it reach its full potential?

also it doesnt help the fact that there was a war of attrition on global scale that lasted decades

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Re: high tech. low resource environment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:50:19 pm »
It sounds interesting. I look forward to reading it. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Zantyago

• Male
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:34:17 pm »
19 pages and counting

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:27:54 am »
When you speak of a high technological level but the means to apply it not reaching its full potential, are you thinking of a society where the technology exists but is available only to certain classes or privileged groups? That could make for an interesting story. Imagine if smart phones could be used only by a small segment of the population while everyone else is denied access to it. Suppose that technology was kept secret?

Or...is it a technology that's known but has no practical use? The ancient Greeks developed a rudimentary steam-powered device, but lacking any way to use it the device was just an object of curiosity.

In either scenario, it would make for an interesting story. I'd enjoy reading it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:32:19 am by Literate Lycan »
"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:46:56 am »
When I think of "high tech world"  I think of a world that makes life better for all.  Not just for
those who can afford it.  Kind of like the world of Star Trek.

We have both kinds today. If you have the money you can buy cars that nearly drive themselves. Amost anything
that is at the leading edge of technology is beyond the meams pf tje average person.

If you don't have the money you get by with older tech.. or by your own abilities..

As you say both would make an interesting story.One of infinite luxury or one of desperatioin.Most stories are
somewhere in the middle, but I find the extreems usually make a more interesting one.

One interesting route could be a high tech world heading for disaster in that the materials aviable for the
tech is limited. Kind of like our world. We are using rare earths for high tech, and it will become more
scarce over time. So man will have to find other materials or give up devices we like. Tiny high strength
permanent magnets for one. There are many doomsday scenarios to work with.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:16:22 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Zantyago

• Male
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 10:55:56 am »
think of it like Cuba or any poverty stricken place where you have a clever folks but  most of the  stuff is old and decrepit, and there are efforts to rebuild the world, just imagine how bad can it get when you have a 100 year war fought with modern tech, and a result there's a lot of  "junk" and destroyed infrastructure, it doesnt help the fact that the cheap and easy energy of oil isn't there anymore (bio-fuels are a possibility, specially algae fuel that can be grown contaminated or sterile areas, they produce something similar to the typical petroleum after some treatment) and a wide assortment of other renewable sources of power.

in this world there are many rebuild efforts, but it will naturally be an effort that will take generations.

in fact, the novel i write, rehabilitating a pristine ghost town in a privileged place resource wise is the overaaching theme, and to make it more interesting, this happens what are now called the Alps
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:05:56 am by Zantyago »

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 11:51:07 am »
That is interesting.. Perhaps you will post some of it, or a prologue describing the
story in depth.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:59:15 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Zantyago

• Male
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 01:06:12 pm »
sure thing, as soon i get back in my den