Author Topic: Large meal ideas that last 2-3 days.  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Large meal ideas that last 2-3 days.
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:46:24 pm »
I'm in a bit of a money crunch right now.  x_x I need ideas and recipes for meals that will fix/serve a lot that can last 2-3 days, but must be affordable when it comes to buying ingrediants and not take a lot of preparation/cooking time.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
Re: Large meal ideas that last 2-3 days.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:05:53 am »
Spaghetti is very cheap and very filling.  The sauce isn't too expensive itself,  the only area of concern is the meat.  If you get the meat on bargain or discount all the better.

Offline Furenzied

• Species: Husky/Border Collie
  • kitty ♥ :3
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:16:50 am »
Cheeseburger pie is good...it's more of a giant non spicy taco though but they can be huge...I don't know the recipe but...it's an idea...
Mate of WereCat

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:22:17 am »
I think a stew would be good to do, they're easy and last awhile, also good for multiple people
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Sequester

• Species: Bewitched Cat-Plant
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:39:19 am »
When I lived in the dorms I would often get a box of tuna helper, a can of tuna, and a can of green beans or other desirable vegetable, and make a microwave tuna casserole that I would eat off of all weekend.
Really, any kind of casserole makes for good eating over several days; just mix your favorite cooked-and-drained-pasta (or potatoes), cooked-meat, and veggies together with a can of "cream of whatever" soup and just enough liquid to mix it all evenly. Bake at 350-400 until hot and bubbly. Individual portions reheat splendidly in the microwave.

When cooking frugally you often find that protein sources are the most expensive part of your recipe. Nevertheless, you should try not to leave them out; nutrition is still an important factor.

Google a blog called 'Budget Bytes', there's a ton of great, cheap recipes there, with easily explained directions for the cooking-impaired.

Hope you're eating well soon!  :(

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:07:08 am »
If your being cheap with food there are 3 roads you can take. Soups, Breads, or Chili. All three things are cheap, make large amounts, and keep for a reasonably well amount of time assuming you store it correctly. Chili is pretty straight forward... Soups are as well I personally like French Onion Soup, it sounds fancy it taste fancy but it's a pretty simple respire... Then there is bread, a 5lb bag of flour will make you about 7-9 loafs of bread that will be fairly large in size assuming you make about 8 loafs with the 5lbs of flour, aside for that you'll need salt, yeast, and water and with that you can make most of your traditional basic breads such as french breads, baguettes, etc. (Self employed and owner of a bakery in town)
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline WhiteAkitaKeiko

• Species: hug loving American Akita
  • I will find you, and I will hug you
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:50:18 am »
Bigos is a big one. My grandma always made this! Its so yum and its lasts for 3-5 days. Very easy to do and affordable :3
Its like a stew, but better!  :goldlaugh:

http://www.polishforums.com/food-drink-8/bigos-recipe-1227/
Icon by myself

Choose wisely who you hate and hunt.
Because the shot you've used..might've been fatal