not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

Is the Idea of marrage "outdated?"

<< < (2/3) > >>

WhiteShepherd:
I think marriage IS important because it is a choice many feel is important.  Many feel when you marry someone it is a formal promise saying "I want to be with you forever.".  So to many it's an important step in a relationship.  That is why when the government steps in and says same sex couples can't marry it's using a law to try and prevent people from traditionally committing to each other.  For SOME people marriage and traditional ceremonies are an important freedom to have.  For others they could care less and will build their own commitments.  The important thing is we must protect the right of choice for marriage so it belongs equally to all of us or we WILL create a future where any group in power can reserve civil liberties just for themselves. 

WhiteShepherd

Nicholai:

--- Quote from: WhiteShepherd on June 23, 2009, 04:32:04 pm ---  For SOME people marriage and traditional ceremonies are an important freedom to have.  For others they could care less and will build their own commitments. 
  WhiteShepherd

--- End quote ---

To be honest, this was the answer I was looking for. For some, formal cultural traditions hold considerable significance (this isn't limited to marrage, think Easter mass, Christmas).  For others, it's the thought that counts (so to speak).

Alexandre:

--- Quote from: WhiteShepherd on June 23, 2009, 04:32:04 pm ---I think marriage IS important because it is a choice many feel is important.  Many feel when you marry someone it is a formal promise saying "I want to be with you forever.".  So to many it's an important step in a relationship.  That is why when the government steps in and says same sex couples can't marry it's using a law to try and prevent people from traditionally committing to each other.  For SOME people marriage and traditional ceremonies are an important freedom to have.  For others they could care less and will build their own commitments.  The important thing is we must protect the right of choice for marriage so it belongs equally to all of us or we WILL create a future where any group in power can reserve civil liberties just for themselves. 

WhiteShepherd

--- End quote ---

Now this seems to make a lot of sense to me.  Marriage stands as a symbol of the commitment that people make to each other... I'm gonna have to think about this.  :)

I'm a big supporter of marriage.  I think people often rush into it a little too soon, especially where I live (three out of four of my sisters got married before they were 20; the other one is still in middle school).  I don't think they understand what it takes financially, emotionally, or mentally to sustain a healthy, balanced marriage.  They've done well so far, though, so I'm not sure what's going to happen...

I'm not sure what I'm saying anymore about this.  I'd like to get married some day and have a nice reception, though; it would mean a lot to me.

Acton:
Lets see marriage exist for thousands of years in hundred of cultures in human history. Yet some how in 2009 America marriage is obsolete. The problem is not marriage it our sick, stuck up, narcissistic generation, staring with mine the counter culture boomer generation. 

Marurashi:
personally i would love to get married, but i beleive it its all a matter of opinion on weather it is worth it or not.

to me, i hate seeing the little girls running round up here who are getting married at age 16...... why you ask? because they alredy have 2 kids... it makes me sad, they are making their life so much harder, its harder to see the world or go to school when you have a full family you have to take care of.

my point is that i really think that they should wait, even if their parents agree to let em get married at such a young age, they need to slow down, stop and see if its really right before they just jump into somthing that is alot bigger than they realize it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version