Author Topic: The difference...  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Saiyu

• Species: SkunKitty
  • OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
The difference...
« on: June 25, 2016, 07:00:40 pm »
What's the difference between fursuit adoptable and artistic freedom?

I mean ... I may have an idea but something my Hubby said almost made me think they were almost the same thing.
I want to know because I have like eighteen or so different animals/furries that I would like to make head bases, partials, or even fursuits out of and try to sell them and the reference sheet to people =o if that'd work. Are those considered "artistic freedom" or "adoptables"?

ALSO! How do I go about making them adoptable and what not ... anything special xD?

Would you like to stalk my DeviantArt
Or YouTube xD?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: The difference...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 07:15:03 pm »
Huh? What?  :o What is this "fursuit adoptable" you speak of? Never heard that term before.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 11:25:24 am »
I know some people make dolls of famous actors and sell them. I don't know if you can sell dolls/
fursuits of famous characters though. Probably a  copyright or trademark problem there.  Where
as the  living actors are basicly puplic property so to speak. There are limits to that too.

The only adoptable thing I have heard of is online animated caracters set up for people to play with.
I suppose you could do character drawings for avatars, and call the sale of them adopting.

I doubt short of setting up a trademark one couldn't keep others from copying designs you sell.

It's a pain trying to protect artwork from theft. Disney has people watching all the conventions for infringements.

I heard a business in Portugal used one of my fox drawings on their front door. They  never asked me, but
it wasn't worth chasing down.  Actually I was a bit surprised someone would use my art for business. To
keep as a fan yes, but not otherwise.

If I have missed the point you can explain more..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:43:49 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Saiyu

• OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 12:49:33 pm »
Well Kobuk... I think xDD they are just "adoptables" not really anything to do with the fursuit themselves, but I would like to make them into fursuits. Maybe I meant to call 'em more "pre-mades"?

Also ^^;a let me see if I can clarify my question anymore lol. I have a hard time wording things sometimes if I dunno what to type! And, maybe I shouldn't post when I'm sleepy (:

Anyways, with drawings random fursonas for other people to adopt versus drawing artistic freedom fursonas =o what's the difference?

Like, I have all these characters; plus more you can't really see in this picture that I would like to adopt out or make a head/partial/full suit and what not.

What category would they fit in xD and could they be both?
And with the just adopting out, are you just selling the drawing to someone or =o how does that go?

@w@;; I hope I made this question a little better xD;;; sorry if I wasn't able to?

Or YouTube xD?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:50:05 pm »
Let me see if I can get this straight.........I hope.  :-[

A person makes up a bunch of fursonas which would basically be considered "pre-made". Pre-made fursonas would not be considered free-form since free-form fursonas have more input from the buyer or person that is commissioning the artist to draw the fursona. A pre-made fursona seems like more of a fursona that has a "set" standard or specifications to it. There's not much, if any, leeway to it.

The artist then offers these fursonas for "adoption" (buying) to those people who might not have a fursona and would like one, or for other reasons. The buyer could "buy" the fursona art plus "copyright" to the art for a small fee, if applicable.

Adding a fursuit commission with the pre-made art is nice.......in theory, but I don't see this concept as taking off very well in the fandom. Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I would rather have a fursona drawn and/or fursuit commissioned where I had more input and say in the design rather than having and buying something pre-made and "adoptable".

If I have any more thoughts, I'll add them later.

Offline Saiyu

• OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 05:05:56 pm »
Ahh Kobuk, that is very interesting lol
I know too that I would like my own fursona xD and not really something I "adopted", but I know there are some people who kinda "struggle" or something to be creative. That's why Hubby and I thought I could make some things and try to get them out there or something. And with how much I like creating fursuits and what not =p that I would like to at least make heads of them.

But yes, you got it more >w< straight enough on that! Thanks for the input, it did get me to slightly understand a bit more o-o

Or YouTube xD?

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 06:05:55 pm »
Now that I've read through all the posts, I understand what you're saying, Saiyu!

I've seen pre-made fursuits before; most of the time they are sold on FurBuy or FurAffinity. They usually have a free badge to go along with them, to let the new owner know about the fursona.

I think this is a great way to practice the craft of fursuit making, and an excellent way of putting your work out there.

You could even put your fursuit ads on dA or FA, see how much interest you get, and go from there. Eventually someone will commission you for their own artwork, and then you will need to draft up a Terms of Service, set up the payment plans, etc.

Pre-made suits are easier to work with in terms of your own sense of freedom, I guess--as an artist, it's easier to just put your own work out there and sell it, versus taking a commission and making a suit to someone's specifications (which can be tough, in that people are particular about their artwork and personal characters).

I think pre-mades are a great start! I say go for it!  (:
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 08:17:13 pm »
Now that I've read through all the posts, I understand what you're saying, Saiyu!

I've seen pre-made fursuits before; most of the time they are sold on FurBuy or FurAffinity. They usually have a free badge to go along with them, to let the new owner know about the fursona.

I think this is a great way to practice the craft of fursuit making, and an excellent way of putting your work out there.

You could even put your fursuit ads on dA or FA, see how much interest you get, and go from there. Eventually someone will commission you for their own artwork, and then you will need to draft up a Terms of Service, set up the payment plans, etc.

Pre-made suits are easier to work with in terms of your own sense of freedom, I guess--as an artist, it's easier to just put your own work out there and sell it, versus taking a commission and making a suit to someone's specifications (which can be tough, in that people are particular about their artwork and personal characters).

I think pre-mades are a great start! I say go for it!  (:

IMO, pre-made fursuits will only work if there are pre-made "parts" of the suit such as handpaws, tails, and/or feet and heads. But pre-made bodysuits? No. Making pre-made feet and heads can be a bit iffy too. Not everybody is going to be the same size. Making pre-made bodysuits is the worst as the bodysuit would only be able to fit a certain size range of people. So.......pre-made fursuit partials will probably be ok. But full fursuits......not likely.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 09:14:49 pm »
All the same, I think it is a great way to get started making fursuits for a living!  :P
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Saiyu

• OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 02:34:02 pm »
Iara, thanks for all that =p! I have indeed been getting commissions from different people; I have my website up and everything. This was just an idea that my Hubby shot out to me to maybe get me more out there or something and offer something a little different than just relying on other's to come forth and commission me xD! Because at least I would already have something to give people if they'd want to buy it straight out.

I know what you're saying Kobuk =p about maybe not making a bodysuit; but just partials and that it would be much harder to sell a full suit than not! Same goes if I were to make feet paws with the partial. I have sold a few full suits/bodies that I made to fit myself to others and I guess they have fit the others; although not EXACT, but still :D! As for one surprise that I got from doing that ....o.o one digitigrade full I made for myself and sold... fit the guy that bought it. I didn't even really have to make modifications to the suit at all. I am 5'2 and he happened to me 5'7! But alas xD I know not to make too many suits that'd only fit me.

I have basically had a steady income of furries commission me since I started last year in January. Right now, I only have a head commission though which I am about done with =p so I am looking for more. and may try this adopt/pre-made thing out more better later =o
And what it means to have "artistic freedom" when someone asks.

Or YouTube xD?

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 11:08:35 am »
I think pre made designs are ok. After all some furries may not have a firm idea of how their
fursona should look. It's kind of like looking for plushies in a store. You know what
character you want, but having a large choice helps you decide on a style. After all not
that many people can afford a custom suit so pre mades should be more economical.

The only real problem I see with pre made suits or parts is fitting the wearer. So one might want
to make them size adjustable.

I would avoid selling copies of the same suit or design unless the buyer understand he/she might
see another identical to their own. Of cours a family might want to be a family of rabbits, foxes,
skunks, ect. That  would be cute. :orbunny:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:20:57 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Saiyu

• OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:20:44 pm »
*Nods* That is what it is like when making pre-made suits! And I would not make an identical suit xD! If someone buys said suit; then that suit or character/drawing is there's for the taking. Like I typed, I have a lot of characters I have made =p so I know I'll be good with not making identical ones at all.

As for resizing things like the bodysuit or feet paws... obviously with the feet paws =p I would have to fully remake them in the buyer's shoe size and ask for a little bit more money that way. With the suit itself depending on the buyer... I'd only have to extend the arms and legs a little bit... maaaaaaaaybe a  bit of the torso area, that seems to work out well enough >w<!

I like to try to give other's options, not just because it's fun, but because some people don't feel "creative" and may need a little help to get an idea of what they want. If they so wanted; they could have me change colors around and what not...to fit the style they'd be looking for.

Or YouTube xD?