not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

The topic of Gun Control

<< < (3/5) > >>

Kay Alett:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on May 30, 2018, 08:07:38 pm ---Like I said before, Gun Control = Self Control. The only way we'll control the gun violence in America is to better ourselves with training, education, when to shoot and when not to shoot, etc., etc.  We need to control OURSELVES.
I often think that too many people take the 2nd Amendment for granted far too much. They look at the 2nd Amendment in the Constitution and think "Hey! I can have a gun. That is my right. Woohoo!"  Sorry. It doesn't quite work like that. Yes, you can have the right to a firearm, but to use that firearm, you should also learn responsibility in using it. If not, then you don't deserve to own or use a gun per the 2nd Amendment. Sometimes, I tend to think that gun ownership should be a privledge instead, not a "right".

--- End quote ---
It's like free speech. You have the right to speak your mind, not to "say whatever you want". We're allowed the right to speak our opinions and views in a public forum as long as we do so civilly. You're not allowed to just stand up and start shouting whatever crap you want to say wherever you want to say it (though our president would seem to disagree with how he behaves but that's a topic for a different forum).
Personal responsibility plays a large factor.

You're completely right in that gun control should be equal to self control. Just as with speaking your mind requires self control.

Old Rabbit:
It all comes down the individual. We all including animals want to
control our environment. The animal has it's territory and will fight
to keep it. We wish to protect our lives nad property, and will fight
to do so.

All we have to do it look at history. It's said those who don't learn
from it will repeat it. From rocks to nukes it's all the same.

Even highly educated people argue and come to blows if pushed enough.
This has been a problem on the International space station. Fortunately 
ot to cause death or destruction. And has been rare as they know all 
their lives depends on them working together. It would be nice if we all
understood the same for our planet. 

The weapon it's self only determines the type of violence not so much
the reason for it. Until we deal with the causes of violence I fear it will
only grow. We need rules for the use and ownership of all dangerous
materials and devices. This won't stop their misuse, but preventing the
loss of even one life is worth our inconvenience to have a stable society.

Michen_S:
A part of this story is also that gun control gets media attention in the US, but not in other countries. That doesn't mean there's no gun violence there, but it's not focused on as much. The NOS (the Netherland's biggest and trustworthy news source) don't report anything about shootings outside the EU unless the government or an idol (worldwide famous person) is involved. Somehow the US is the only country that forms an exception to this somehow. I'm not sure if this media attention is a good thing or a bad thing within it's own country, since the amount of media attention a shooting gets both breaks down the taboo surrounding gun control and encourages some others to try to get their 5 minutes of fame. Unfortunately, there's a huge weapon lobby in the US by the NRA, which even exists in the government, and it negates part of the positive effects of shootings in the media.

Here in our country, there are less shootings for each inhabitant living here. And we're practically living on each other's lips here, as the Netherlands is a crowded country. The sheer number of guns help with that, but more importantly how gun use is controlled. You need to earn a license before you can own a gun and use it. Even the police rarely use guns, they are only allowed to use it when they don't have any other option. Of course, the US has this second amendment that gives people the right to bear arms, and it's hard-boiled into the US everyday culture. I don't like weapons myself, but I understand this amendment is something most people in the US don't want to see gone. Then at least they should take some actions to make sure that the people who own and/or use the gun to own/use them safely.

Old Rabbit:
Gun ownership is part of our culture in the U.S.A. Many people 
want a gun for protection, then turn around and end up killing   
family members because they don't understand how dangerous 
guns are.

This is why I propose needing a license to purchase a gun in the first
place. A license wouldn't tell how many guns you have. Some might say
there  would be a record of the purchase. Well in many cases that 
occurs now with background checks.

The one big fear people seem to have is that the government is going 
to knock on their door and demand they give up their gun if it's known
they have one.. If we think about this it would take years for the government 
even trying to grab all our guns. Instead they would likely just tell everyone 
to turn in their gun under threat of death, fine, or punishment. Those that didn't
would have to prove they didn't have one.  The second  amendment is only as
good as the government it's self. 

Kobuk:
Way to go, Federal Government. I hope you're proud of what you've approved here.  *sarcasm*  :goldpissed:  :goldpissed:  :goldpissed:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/us/3d-printed-gun-settlement-trnd/index.html

How much you wanna make a bet the NRA had a hand in getting this approved?  >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version