Old Rabbit:

--- Quote from: Kay Alett on May 28, 2018, 06:42:49 pm ---
--- Quote from: Kobuk on May 28, 2018, 02:44:02 pm ---
--- Quote ---I feel we need laws that require people who own guns to be well
trained in the use and care of weapons. If we treated motor vehicles
the way we do guns there would be a lot more people killed using
them.

--- End quote ---

I don't have this well thought out yet, so please bear with me. ;) Anyway, maybe we should treat gun ownership the way we treat automobile ownership? Depending on the severeity of the crime committed when using a firearm, the person would get his/her gun and permit to carry one, taken away. To get it back, you'd have to retake a test or training classes. And if you committ more crimes and/or fail further training classes, your "right" to carry and own a firearm is revoked much the same way a person could lose their driver's license for various vehicle offenses.

--- End quote ---

I've had that similiar idea. That people should have to have a license to own a firearm and that it should be periodically renewed or be charged with a fine.

--- End quote ---

=============================================

I don't think we can expect any law that will require a lisence to use or
have a gun. This is one of the big concerns of gun owners that the
government wants to know who has guns.

Perhaps we need a license to purchase a gun. To get this license one
would be required to take a course in gun safety. At the same time a
background check would be run as part of the application. Perhaps
this license would need to be renewed every few years. Subject revocation
they broke the law or regulation. Some states already require firearm
safety courses to get a hunting license.

There isn't a perfect solution, but people need to be held responsible for
the use and ownership of firearms. Perhaps to have insurance to own guns.
Same as we do for our motor vehicles.

Kay Alett:

--- Quote from: Old Rabbit on May 29, 2018, 11:34:31 am ---Perhaps to have insurance to own guns.
--- End quote ---
Man, there ain't a company in the land that would insure a gun owner in America. :D
And thinking on that makes me feel really very sad for the U.S.  :(

Old Rabbit:

--- Quote from: Kay Alett on May 30, 2018, 01:05:44 am ---
--- Quote from: Old Rabbit on May 29, 2018, 11:34:31 am ---Perhaps to have insurance to own guns.
--- End quote ---
Man, there ain't a company in the land that would insure a gun owner in America. :D

--- End quote ---

Yes I am sure insurance would be hard to get, or very expensive. If it had
been started a long time ago it might have been easier. Over the years
people just use their own accident insurance to cover injuries be it by gun
or car. I am afraid we will all pay a price for those who misused weapons.

The media points to the U.S.A, but many countries have gun violece. A
couple years ago some people returned from Brazil who were nearly
killed by gun violence. A friend who lives there tells me there is a lot
of gun violence in Brazil, even school shootings.

I think violence is as much a social issues like poverty and discrimination
as it is anything else. Be it by gun or whatever..

Kay Alett:

--- Quote from: Old Rabbit on May 30, 2018, 12:59:51 pm ---
--- Quote from: Kay Alett on May 30, 2018, 01:05:44 am ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yes I am sure insurance would be hard to get, or very expensive. If it had
been started a long time ago it might have been easier. Over the years
people just use their own accident insurance to cover injuries be it by gun
or car. I am afraid we will all pay a price for those who misused weapons.

The media points to the U.S.A, but many countries have gun violece. A
couple years ago some people returned from Brazil who were nearly
killed by gun violence. A friend who lives there tells me there is a lot
of gun violence in Brazil, even school shootings.

I think violence is as much a social issues like poverty and discrimination
as it is anything else. Be it by gun or whatever..

--- End quote ---
Yes, a lot of social media SJW types like to claim that other countries have little to no gun violence whatsoever because they just "banned all guns" but that doesn't stop violence it just stops the ease by which some people can achieve that violence or forces them to get creative.
As long as there are people there will be people killing people. It is in our nature to seek order and control. Put two people alone in a room and it's only a matter of time before one takes the lead. Not necessarily out of malicious intent but because we are social animals and social animals of all kinds all throughout nature have a pecking order (including chickens whose social order is determined by pecking, which originated the term).

And as such as we observe in nature many animals with a hierarchical organization tend to use aggression to sort this order out which is expressed by what we might anthropomorphize as violence. Hens peck one another, roosters leap and claw at each other, wolves snap, growl snarl bite and once in a while get into full on fights and there's way too many examples to list here.
To that end, humanity, and our hierarchical organizations tend to be sorted out with aggression. We invented government and civilization civilization not because of willingness, but because of our need to be assimilated into higher orders of social structure.

So where I am I going with all of this? Humans need to be part of large social structures and to be part of those we abide by certain rules to play the game but we're still driven by the same basic instinct that drove us to make civilization in the first place, the desire to control and to impose that control on others through aggressive means. As Old Rabbit said, there is gun violence in other countries. Getting rid of the guns is not the right way, as Kobuk pointed out this is a social issue that deals with humans. This is not just a problem with individuals, this a problem with the cohesion of or social structures. People are lashing out violently against others in some kind of deranged, for want of a better word, need to try and get respect or fear or obedience to themselves out of others. To get higher on the pecking order. (not to justify or excuse what they're doing but merely to put it into a psychological perspective)

The best way to fix it is too look inward at our own societies and address the inner turmoil. Our civilization is ignoring people with needs. Perhaps stricter guns are not the answer. Perhaps they and insurance policies (While being a good idea) and licenses (also a good idea) are only a band-aid. A stop gap. Enforcing more control might just make things even worse.
Perhaps what will help curb the violence is a radical restructuring of things...

But I'm not sure if that can even be done...

Kobuk:
Like I said before, Gun Control = Self Control. The only way we'll control the gun violence in America is to better ourselves with training, education, when to shoot and when not to shoot, etc., etc.  We need to control OURSELVES.
I often think that too many people take the 2nd Amendment for granted far too much. They look at the 2nd Amendment in the Constitution and think "Hey! I can have a gun. That is my right. Woohoo!"  Sorry. It doesn't quite work like that. Yes, you can have the right to a firearm, but to use that firearm, you should also learn responsibility in using it. If not, then you don't deserve to own or use a gun per the 2nd Amendment. Sometimes, I tend to think that gun ownership should be a privledge instead, not a "right".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version