Author Topic: Sewinng machine recomendations  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Movian

• Species: Dragon
  • Male
    • Movian's site
Sewinng machine recomendations
« on: October 13, 2017, 02:15:40 pm »
Ok, so after hemming some trousers (pants) by hand and with my fur suit project coming up I realized how much time it takes to sew by hand.

As such  I am looking for some recommendations for a sewing machine $50-$60 is my preference but if there is one for a little more but is worth it then throw that in too.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Re: Sewinng machine recomendations
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:38:44 pm »
Really not sure if your going to get anything worth owning at that price. Unless you go used. Then it's a game of chance if that machine is in good shape. I've an old Singer (1970's) that I thought broke down on me. Turns out it was me not knowing what i was doing.  :D At the time I ended up buying a new Singer 4423 heavy duty. In comparison the new machine will go threw  up to five layers of blue jean and easily goes threw long pile fake fur. Everything I was trying to do with the old one. 

My advice would be to save up and get something that your gong to be happy with in the long run.  Like any tool. Buy good means you'll only have to buy once.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:56:44 pm »
Really not sure if your going to get anything worth owning at that price. Unless you go used. Then it's a game of chance if that machine is in good shape. I've an old Singer (1970's) that I thought broke down on me. Turns out it was me not knowing what i was doing.  :D At the time I ended up buying a new Singer 4423 heavy duty. In comparison the new machine will go threw  up to five layers of blue jean and easily goes threw long pile fake fur. Everything I was trying to do with the old one. 

My advice would be to save up and get something that your gong to be happy with in the long run.  Like any tool. Buy good means you'll only have to buy once.

I've used enough cheap machines to know what a pain they can be. Most good machines that I've seen are a couple hundred bucks. You might be able to get a good one cheaper if you look hard enough, but you'll need to get it tuned up at the very least, if not repaired.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Movian

• Species: Dragon
  • Male
    • Movian's site
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:34:48 am »
ok so I should look for a better used one or save up for a good one.

One should I be looking for other than cost? is there a specific brand? specific features I should be looking for ?

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 04:39:21 pm »
Don't fall for the hype. If you don't need 100s of stitch options don't pay for them. The more things one machine can do means the more things that can break down. Unless your spending 1000s for it. There is only a few basic stitch patters you'll go to all the time. Why pay for 90 fancy dress embroidery styles you may never use.

You tube is your friend. Not only can you research any machine your looking at. But you can learn tips and tricks. I've recently learned that it's possible to do a serge style stitch with a standard sewing machine. Yes, I have to run the same stitch through twice. But this saved me 100s when looking for a new sewing machine.

Link to serge style edges,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R0_AUTCiI8

This next link is to an enormously helpful youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnO5K6AA2sY&feature=youtu.be

As for brands. I chose Singer because it's the machine my mom used. I now own that one. And it's the brand every professional crafter i know uses. I have a friend in the pro costume biz ( movie and tv ). But every machine she has costs way more than either of us really needs to spend. I'm not sure about the quality now. But years ago I was told, "I'll sew by hand before I use a Brother" by more than one pro crafter. To clarify. A pro crafter is someone who makes a living creating items for sale.

Learn as much as you can now. Before you make your choice. Happy Hunting! Look forward to seeing what you sew up next.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.