Author Topic: The "Good News" thread.  (Read 132309 times)

Offline Craulf

• Solatorobo!
  • Male
Re: The "Good News" thread.
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 12:19:18 am »
The new San Diego furmeet had their first meetup today. It was great! Maybe now it can lure in more furs and be even better  ;)
And in nonfurry news: my grandparent survived his surgery and is doing great!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:37:42 am by Craulf »
What? Easy mode? How lame! Only kids play on easy mode! kyahahahahahaha!
..... I might have a touhou addiction o.o

Offline Autumn Fire

• Confident Kitty
  • Female
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 01:15:59 am »
I'm finally going to University to get my BFA with a major in Visual Arts. I have been battling with a lot of things in my life but it is all working out and I am finally getting my chance to improve my art skills with some formal training.
Life is rocky but keep climbing! It is most definitely worth it!

My dA account
My Furaffinity account
My Nabyn Page

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 01:39:17 am »
Ordered my wife's very first longboard! She is super excited as well as I. She has been learning on mine but now she can have her own setup for her much lighter weight and preferences. :)

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »
My mom keeps sending me pictures of the snow back where I live...  Hopefully there will still be a little left when I get back from FurCon in California.

In other good news, a short story that I wrote eight years ago and had been rejected by 43 different markets was finally published last night!  It's a story about feeling silenced by the world, so it actually feels really empowering to finally have it out there.  Also, the magazine got some artwork for it that beautifully sets the tone.

(If anyone actually wants to read the story, it's here:  http://www.loreleisignal.com/SilentRaindrops.html.  But it's not at all furry.  Since I wrote it eight years ago, I was still trying painfully hard to fit in with the mainstream world and write about humans.)
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline DreamerHusky

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 05:21:07 pm »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:39:27 pm by DreamerHusky »

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »
I'm back in my own home in Colorado, sleeping in my own bed!!!!
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 03:49:06 am »
For once my long-time love of computer history and trivia has finally paid off for me!  One of the Information Technology magazines that I have been a long time subscriber to, InformationWeek, decided to hold a several month long computer and IT trivia challenge called "The Great IT Challenge."  I played the challenge, answering, rating, and submitting questions every day for three straight months to earn points.  The competition's leader board only showed the top 10 contestant's scores, and I wasn't even close to those 10, so I had no idea how well or poorly I was doing in comparison to the others throughout the competition.  Even so, I stuck with the competition for the full three months anyway, because as I said I absolutely love computer trivia and I was having a lot of fun answering questions and coming up with new ones to submit.  It turned out that it was a really good thing that I did stick with the competition, because some time after it was over I was notified by the publisher of InformationWeek who told me that my three-month score was one of the top 25 scores.  That meant that I had won myself a t-shirt to celebrate that fact, and even better than that, I had also won myself a brand new netbook computer!  I was absolutely floored by this news, because I had no idea that I was still in the race for any kind of prize, let alone a good one!

Even more fortuitous is the fact that this prize couldn't have come at a better time.  My current laptop is an old no-thrills Compaq business model that I bought used when it came off of lease many years ago.  While it has given me many good years of faithful service, it is now 10-years old and I have already had to buy two new replacement batteries and three new replacement power bricks for it to keep it chugging along.  I also had stopped bringing it to my Microsoft .Net User Group meetings because it could no longer run the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio and Expression Studio effectively, which meant that I could no longer use it to follow along with the coding examples being presented by the guest speakers each month.  And since I have been out of steady web development and programming work for about two-and-a-half years at this point, there was no hope of me being able to afford to buy a new laptop at this stage.  I have no idea what brand or model my new netbook is going to turn out to be (some sponsor agreement keeps them from telling me I guess, so it will be a surprise), but it has *got* to be better than what I currently have.  And if I can use it to once again follow along with the presenters at user group meetings and hands-on programming workshops (which I use to help keep my skills current while I am looking for work), then it will be a real game-changer for me!

Now I don't yet have the netbook in my hands, and I haven't received all of their paperwork that I need to fill out yet, so it's still too early for me to really start to celebrate at this point in time.  While I don't have any prior experience with this company, I never received a prize that I won from a video game competition that was hosted by another organization last year, so I know not to get my hopes up too high until after I have actually received the prize.  But even so, I can't help but feel pretty happy right now, so in the words of the glorious pony Fluttershy, "Yay!"

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 09:35:26 pm »
I was scouted out and given an automatic position without a single tryout on the #3 basketball team in the state!
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »
I was scouted out and given an automatic position without a single tryout on the #3 basketball team in the state!

Congratulations, Carter!  That is excellent news!  I wish you the best of luck once your season starts!

Offline Hashira

• they/their, she/her
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 07:04:23 pm »

Congratulations, Carter!  That is excellent news!  I wish you the best of luck once your season starts!

Thanks dude! This means a super lot to me. The first tournament is this weekend and I've only been to two practices :o And I had to deny 2 other teams that wanted me super bad and sent begging emails to get me to play on two teams!

Offline Hashira

• they/their, she/her
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 04:57:54 pm »
Me and my new basketball team won our very first tournament this weekend, and I got great feedback from the coach!

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 05:11:56 pm »
I passed all of my modules in first semester this year :)

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline victorwolf

• Male
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 11:05:10 am »
i got some new tie dies from my mom for my birthday i love them so much there so awesome. :) i wish all my clothes were tie die.
a rose by any other name smells just as sweet

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 04:27:50 pm »
i'm not ill anymore!
just your average self-effacing, herbivorous predator

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 06:27:34 pm »
I've recently told my best friend that I'm a furry. It went great. :D Not only does he understand, he is awaiting an account on this forum. On top of that, I've learned that someone at my school is also a furry and am hoping to connect with him as well. Life's looking up from a furry perspective! :D
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 04:16:04 pm »
Three of my short stories got nominated for the Ursa Major Award for Best Short Fiction this year!
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 06:21:35 pm »
Three of my short stories got nominated for the Ursa Major Award for Best Short Fiction this year!
OMG! :D That's great. Good job, and I hope you win at least one if not all of them. I hope some of my future stories get nominated for some awards, too.

My good news: I got some shoelaces and glowsticks at Wal Mart. I'm gonna start practicing glowstringing this weekend and I already have one move down so I can do it naturally. I love it! :)
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 06:27:03 pm »
I am returning to college full time in fall to become a teacher!! I'm so excited! :)

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 06:56:08 pm »
 :)
Great to hear!
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 07:22:32 pm »
Don't have take any loans out first year of college!

also, found 2 friends are furries, and another likes furry people. [which makes me think she is one, but her excuse is she doesn't 'suit... Bull...]
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 11:31:32 am »
I got a lot of sleep last night!  :D

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 02:46:07 pm »
My publication Allasso got nominated in the "Best Magazine" category for the Ursa Majors Award! This is some of the best news I've gotten in a while :)
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 02:51:53 pm »
I've found out the date for my graduation. :) Now I just have to book tickets for my parents and Weisseman, and book a gown and hat. Which is going to be expensive.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Juno

• In your X Ying your Zs
  • Male
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 04:59:14 am »
I think its good news that so many of you are receiving good news and doing awesome stuff :3

HAAAAAA my good news would be, i didn't die in a terrible high speed collision today :D
>2012
>not dieing, cause your car didn't stall out on the highway
>ISHYGDT

A MEMBER OF THE MIDNIGHT CREW... ♠

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:29 pm »
Should be closing on our house soon, it's currently about to get appraised and our loan is all approved and good to go! :D Also.. just got my Nintendo Platinum rewards reshipped since I never received them before and Nintendo was extremely nice and helpful about it. Also.. just won a $50 GameStop card! :D Gonna be a good day I think.