Author Topic: Do you think it would be okay to hide a collar from my parents?  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Hesper Scott

• Female
I really want one, but my mom is obsessed with me looking "presentable". I was thinking of getting an actual pet collar from Petsmart (with my own money) and only wearing it around friends. I'm homeschooled, so dress codes aren't a big issue. I'd just wear it out alone with friends. I already do this in some ways (going to outside classes with eye makeup under sunglasses, not telling parents about nickname) and I was wondering what you guys would think about sneaking a collar.
Whenever I see these signatures, I feel like I should use mine to say something really interesting and profound, but I always end up with some generic quote or saying. Hmm. That's unfortunate. Well, now guess who looks like a excessively meta killjoy. I do!

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Re: Do you think it would be okay to hide a collar from my parents?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:36:01 am »
it's your choice if you want to do it. want to be your self and take the chance of getting in trouble go ahead, or if you would rather wait till you move out to do so.

Offline Evilo

• Male
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:41:19 am »
I've learnt that honesty is usually a good thing. Y'know  I've told my mother some bad stuff i was doing (not furry related) and i don't say we didn't have one annoying fight but she got to accept me the way I am and now she's okay with that. But it also depends. I know parents of some of my friends that wouldn't be so open minded and I wouldn't recommend them to do the same to their parents so it's up to you, you know how open minded can your parents get or not. But i think it's just a collar you're not hiding cocaine or something so if you won't tell them should be fine...
Reconciliations lying sprawled one on top of the other.
Action gets ahead of us.
Keep believing without realizing a long gone shadow.
Hide a voiceless word I saved yesterday
And lose track of it.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:22:59 pm »
Unless you have really thick long hair and bushy beard I don't see the 'eye makeup under sunglasses' trick working here.

As an older adult I'm not going to try to sway you one way or the other.  I can say the idea of sneaking something is hurtful to a parent.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline greenfox

• Species: Fox
  • struct fox_t = { .color = COLOR_GREEN };
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:30:38 am »
If you are concerned about the ethics, it's strongly dependant on how you define your personal rules and how you apply them to the situation.  One strategy to approach this with is to try to draw a line on what you will and will not do to keep it private.  For example, you might decide: "I don't feel like I need to announce this to my parents or anything, but I will not to lie about it, should it come up".  Where you draw that line is up to you, but it could help you approach your personal obligations rationally.

Personally, I would treat it like its not a big deal; the less effort it seems you put into hiding it, the less concerned your parents will probably be if they do find out.
Whatever you decide, good luck :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:33:10 am by greenfox »
"Vira pyveþ maze lirno kaietello jai."
I am only a lone man with ten-thousand dreams.

Weasyl: http://www.weasyl.com/~quyk

Offline Evilo

• Male
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:28:34 am »
If you are concerned about the ethics, it's strongly dependant on how you define your personal rules and how you apply them to the situation.  One strategy to approach this with is to try to draw a line on what you will and will not do to keep it private.  For example, you might decide: "I don't feel like I need to announce this to my parents or anything, but I will not to lie about it, should it come up".  Where you draw that line is up to you, but it could help you approach your personal obligations rationally.

Personally, I would treat it like its not a big deal; the less effort it seems you put into hiding it, the less concerned your parents will probably be if they do find out.
Whatever you decide, good luck :)

Words of truth!  :P
Reconciliations lying sprawled one on top of the other.
Action gets ahead of us.
Keep believing without realizing a long gone shadow.
Hide a voiceless word I saved yesterday
And lose track of it.

Offline Mimi the Angel Dragon

• Species: I'm an angel dragon with a cat like face.
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:42:17 am »
I hide my coller form my dad (I bought a dog coller when I was with a friend) I told my mum about it coz she already knows how weird I am (I bought the coller when I was a therian (I believed that I had the sole of a husky) but now Im a furry and I intend on staying one, I wear my coller with my wolf pack (we're a bunch of friends that meet up, bark howl and play fight, 3 of us are furrys I'm the only one that would love to wear a fursuit). So if u want one just make shore u can hide it well, it will be even harder to explain if they find it and u haven't told them about it.
🐾

Offline Hesper Scott

• Female
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:14:51 pm »
Unless you have really thick long hair and bushy beard I don't see the 'eye makeup under sunglasses' trick working here.

As an older adult I'm not going to try to sway you one way or the other.  I can say the idea of sneaking something is hurtful to a parent.

No, like hiding it in a backpack and putting it on after I leave the house.
Whenever I see these signatures, I feel like I should use mine to say something really interesting and profound, but I always end up with some generic quote or saying. Hmm. That's unfortunate. Well, now guess who looks like a excessively meta killjoy. I do!

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 01:58:48 pm »
I wouldn't. The fact that it was being hidden is going to raise more questions than just getting it out of the way from the get go by just talking about it and why you want to wear it.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 02:16:33 pm »
I wouldn't. The fact that it was being hidden is going to raise more questions than just getting it out of the way from the get go by just talking about it and why you want to wear it.
Agreed. Acting like it's a suspicious an weird thing will make your parents think it is, even if it isn't. If they're still dead set against you wearing it, I'm sure you can wait a few years til you move out of their house.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#