Author Topic: Communicating for the future.  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Communicating for the future.
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:44:28 pm »
I don't know what I want anymore.  :P Basically, I'm just a simple guy with simple needs. As much as I wish I had all this cool new tech like iPhones, iPods, etc., etc., etc. that keeps coming out, I just can't afford it nor do I want to try keeping "up to date" on all the newest releases of hardware and software which basically come out like every few months and which costs more.

I want to stay connected with friends and family, but the amount of hardware, software, and services out in the world is staggering to choose from.  x_x

* I still use a landline phone in my apartment.
* My phone/Internet is combined on one bill and averages $75 a month.
* I use a basic flip phone for emergencies and small conversations when I'm on the go. 10 cents a minute.
* Seems like everything nowadays is going wireless. I'm not ready to jump on the "wireless bandwagon" yet. I have concerns about security and "stray signals" if you know what I mean.
* I've heard how PC desktop comps are going to become "extinct dinosaurs" soon due to how everybody wants mobile devices and wireless. But I still have and use a desktop comp!
* I'm not sure what I should use for IM's anymore. I have Yahoo, but it seems more people are ditching YIM and jumping on the Skype bandwagon.
* I'd love a smartphone, iPhone, or iPad, but I can't afford them and all the calling plans and other packages, features, and "bells and whistles" so to speak.

I'd love to stay up to date for the future, but I'm not sure how or with what.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
Re: Communicating for the future.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:02:15 pm »
* I still use a landline phone in my apartment.

Don't see an issue with this. I hear a lot of people are ditching landlines but part of me thinks this is very short sighted. Mobiles can get lost/stolen/broken a lot easier than a landline phone. We still use ours quite a lot as well.

* I use a basic flip phone for emergencies and small conversations when I'm on the go. 10 cents a minute.

If it works for you then there's no need to look for anything flashy. The main attraction for smart phones are data plans. If you're not going to use the data plan there's no need to get anything more than a basic phone assuming you need/would like a new one.

* Seems like everything nowadays is going wireless. I'm not ready to jump on the "wireless bandwagon" yet. I have concerns about security and "stray signals" if you know what I mean.

Wireless security isn't an issue. Given a good enough password and so long as the router admin password isn't left as default (This counts for any router!) there's no issue. You can hide the SSID (The wireless networks name) but I've had conflicting opinions on whether this is a good idea.

* I've heard how PC desktop comps are going to become "extinct dinosaurs" soon due to how everybody wants mobile devices and wireless. But I still have and use a desktop comp!

Gamers exist. This is therefore unfounded really. Business use them a lot as well.

* I'm not sure what I should use for IM's anymore. I have Yahoo, but it seems more people are ditching YIM and jumping on the Skype bandwagon.

Skype does voice plus it took over from MSN/Windows Live messenger. For the most part I use Steam chat as I'm constantly on Steam now. I have skype but I'm only ever on it to chat with friends during gaming sessions. Just have to find something you can continue to talk to people on.

* I'd love a smartphone, iPhone, or iPad, but I can't afford them and all the calling plans and other packages, features, and "bells and whistles" so to speak.

iPhone you pay because it's Apple. Its relatively idiot proof design and their approach to software environment make them a good choice for most but Android phones are easy enough to learn as well. Marketing makes a difference. I'm sure there's plenty here that can suggest things.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:05:26 pm by Weisseman »
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Mylo

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:37:18 pm »
You seem fine to me.  You'll find a lot of people on Furtopia in favor of desktops contrary to the popular mindset of today, but in all honesty a computer is a computer.  If you want a desktop, get a desktop.  Same with laptops.  Each have their own advantages and disadvantages.  

Like Weisseman said, having a landline is fine.  Maybe you can make a Skype account and slowly transition to that from YIM (I personally don't know anyone that uses YIM...but a lot of your friends still do, so perhaps just keep two chat clients open).  I don't know if there is a way to consolidate your chat accounts into one program easily.  As far as wireless goes, Weisseman is right.  Security isn't really an issue, and if you really want to be sure, then have WPS disabled and a good WPA2 password.  ;)  But I didn't really understand what you wanted from your post.

I mean, you said you were a simple guy with simple needs.  I have a lot of friends who don't have smartphones, and I have no problem keeping in contact with them.  ;)  You are also consistently on the Internet, so that's not much of a problem (in terms of keeping in contact with online people).  Really, communication of the future is essentially the communication of five/ten years ago...the only difference is now we have many novel and egotistical ways to entertain ourselves, and sometimes that is disguised as communication.  :D

Offline Wrangell

• Male
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:45:40 pm »
I love my land line and desktop computer. I actually rather use a desktop than a laptop. There is no need to conform to what is the newest and hottest thing on the market. I actually still use a pocket watch to keep track of time. You don't even see people walking around with even wrist watches anymore because of cell phones. Anywho your fine with what you have and if it works for you, then for all means keep doing it.  :goldglee:
Keep Smiling

Offline Scion Tyven

• Male
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:33:43 pm »
I have a laptop and a smart phone, but I find that a lot of the time, it's pretty useless to have some of the functions that you're paying so much more for.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." - Steven Erikson

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:28:01 pm »
There is no need to conform to what is the newest and hottest thing on the market.

But that's the problem. The way companies advertise stuff nowadays, they make it seem like you HAVE to have the newest and greatest hardware and software. It's almost like they're brainwashing you with all their tv commercials and other advertisements to get you to open up your wallet and spend your money on the newest gadget.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 12:30:50 am »
There is no need to conform to what is the newest and hottest thing on the market.

But that's the problem. The way companies advertise stuff nowadays, they make it seem like you HAVE to have the newest and greatest hardware and software. It's almost like they're brainwashing you with all their tv commercials and other advertisements to get you to open up your wallet and spend your money on the newest gadget.

Consumerism at its finest.  

It's the advertiser's job to make you think that you HAVE to have their product.  They wouldn't be doing their job if you didn't feel that, or at least, if a sizeable amount of people didn't feel that.  But in all honesty, you really don't need all the latest and greatest stuff.  While they make life somewhat more convenient, convenience is not a necessity.  When I was in Japan, I didn't have an Internet-connected smartphone, let alone any cell phone, for two and a half months.  But, I didn't really miss it for that purpose (I just used it as a camera and to take notes and reminders).  I just prepared what I was supposed to do beforehand (like make sure I knew what time the train leaves, where things were, etc...) and I got around just fine.  More often than not I've found the smartphone to be a boredom reliever, except unlike the computer, it goes with you everywhere.  

So TL;DR: Don't fall for the marketing hype.  Buy products you think will pay for themselves in time/effort saved.        
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:32:35 am by Mylo »

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 01:39:37 am »
I love my land line and desktop computer. I actually rather use a desktop than a laptop. There is no need to conform to what is the newest and hottest thing on the market. I actually still use a pocket watch to keep track of time. You don't even see people walking around with even wrist watches anymore because of cell phones. Anywho your fine with what you have and if it works for you, then for all means keep doing it.  :goldglee:

awesome, using a pocket watch ( now if it were steampunk, i would love you until the end of worlds). i wish i had one but i still wear a watch. i havent taken it off for a few years now, ( its water proof) but i kind of want to replace it with this, its less utilitarian but it just looks awesome http://www.tokyoflash.com/en/watches/kisai/spider/

but back to topic. i use a desktop, i have an ipod ( 5th gen but i only got that because compared side to side with an older gen i found that it was worth the price raise ( more memory, faster, etc. but not just " now a simple update of the scree, actual useful improvements. i just went for it because of those) but i dont go for the brand new thing, no midnight releases, land line, flip phone, etc. and i talk mostly through texting, email, steam chat, and face to face. and i am a very computer heavy person so i dont think theres much of an issue. just go for what you want, i personaly dont think you need to conform ( is that the right word?0 to society, unless it would damage your reputation, just go for what you want
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:49:28 am by korvre »
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Wrangell

• Male
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 02:34:32 am »
I love my land line and desktop computer. I actually rather use a desktop than a laptop. There is no need to conform to what is the newest and hottest thing on the market. I actually still use a pocket watch to keep track of time. You don't even see people walking around with even wrist watches anymore because of cell phones. Anywho your fine with what you have and if it works for you, then for all means keep doing it.  :goldglee:

awesome, using a pocket watch ( now if it were steampunk, i would love you until the end of worlds). i wish i had one but i still wear a watch. i havent taken it off for a few years now, ( its water proof) but i kind of want to replace it with this, its less utilitarian but it just looks awesome http://www.tokyoflash.com/en/watches/kisai/spider/

Regarding steampunk. I had no idea that was a thing, but my interest have always revolved around it. Like I also have a top that I wear on occasion. I have also have this fantasy world I started creating back in like 4th grade, were it takes place in a steam like era with huge zepplins and the styles are simmilar to steampunk. The funny thing is I only found out about that fandom like 2 months ago. Sorry to go off topic of your off topic, but I thought I would tell you. :)

but back to topic. i use a desktop, i have an ipod ( 5th gen but i only got that because compared side to side with an older gen i found that it was worth the price raise ( more memory, faster, etc. but not just " now a simple update of the scree, actual useful improvements. i just went for it because of those) but i dont go for the brand new thing, no midnight releases, land line, flip phone, etc. and i talk mostly through texting, email, steam chat, and face to face. and i am a very computer heavy person so i dont think theres much of an issue. just go for what you want, i personaly dont think you need to conform ( is that the right word?0 to society, unless it would damage your reputation, just go for what you want
Keep Smiling

Offline Amarok

• Male
    • Brandless
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:00:57 pm »
nothing wrong with good old stuff ... new things break way to easy
most of my furniture is from the 50's/60's and almost unbreakable
:goldlaugh:

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 03:03:05 am »
i have been keeping up to date with tech. my dad is going to get the iphone5s for me and my brother in about 1-2 weeks. but i still have my 2009 macbook pro, even tho it's not good for gaming and it's back is dented up i want to keep this computer. i have good memories with it, this is the same computer i searched up "furry" for the first time and joined the fandom. also i don't like the new macbook pro's they are too skinny.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 07:34:32 pm »
Maybe you can make a Skype account and slowly transition to that from YIM (I personally don't know anyone that uses YIM...but a lot of your friends still do, so perhaps just keep two chat clients open).  I don't know if there is a way to consolidate your chat accounts into one program easily. 

Trillian.

It's a program that lets you use a single client to simultaneously connect to Skype, Google chat, Facebook chat, YIM, and more. I haven't actually used it myself, but I have a lot of friends who use it all the time. So if Kobuk wanted to, he could set up a Skype account, install Trillian, and then always be logged into both Skype and YIM, but without having to have both programs running constantly.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 07:39:31 pm »

lies, desktops have more space to put more chips, and until space folding is invented will always be more powerful

i'll not update much because it makes you easier to track, i'm no criminal, but should i ever find a reason that  i needed to go off the grid i'd like to be easier to hide
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 12:29:01 pm »
Trillian.

It's a program that lets you use a single client to simultaneously connect to Skype, Google chat, Facebook chat, YIM, and more. I haven't actually used it myself, but I have a lot of friends who use it all the time. So if Kobuk wanted to, he could set up a Skype account, install Trillian, and then always be logged into both Skype and YIM, but without having to have both programs running constantly.

Trillian has both a free version and a paid version, the former of which is (as of when I used it) solid and reasonably complete but without the ability to install plugins (Google Chat was one of the "plugin only" protocols at the time, so that solution didn't work so well for me).  I use Pidgin, which is available without cost and open source (I use plugins for Steam and Skype compatibility, though sadly the latter requires the standard Skype application to be running in the background due restrictive API on Skype's end).  There's actually a number of applications that serve this purpose aside from these two; it's just a matter of trying each one until you find one that you like.

Hopefully the major providers will eventually start using open and standardized protocols (such as XMPP like Google Chat uses) so that all IM accounts will be interoperable across protocols (imagine being able to use a Yahoo IM to message friends on Steam, Facebook, and Skype, and you get an idea of what this would be like).  In the meantime, yay for multiprotocol IM clients!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:33:20 pm by redyoshi49q »
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!