Author Topic: First built rig  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Shim

• Male
First built rig
« on: May 31, 2016, 04:10:59 pm »
As my laptop I'm currently typing on is in the process of melting into hot slag and my tax return was particularly good this year, I'm going all out and holding nothing back because I'm so ready to not play games at medium/low settings anymore.

Here's the rig. Waiting for the parts to ship and for the GTX 1070 to come out >.>

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/83MKHN

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:18:20 pm by Shim »

Offline Doc

• Species: Fox
  • Waffles are the best!
  • Male
Re: First built rig
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:17:24 pm »
Looks pretty spiffy, Shim. Just a little longer than a week until that card comes out.
Avatar by my best friend Taivana.

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a few hours, you realize they like it." -unknown.

Offline Elusive

• Species: Fox/Raven hybrid
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:34:38 pm »
Looks good to me, though you may want to look into buying some additional case fans, if you haven't already. As I understand it your case only comes with fans for the front and back, NOT the top or sides.

Offline Lorne

• Dead account - not used anymore
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:23:07 am »
It's all about the cooling dude! No point in spending thousands of dollars and not getting as many fans and as much airflow as possible in your rig to keep it running cool. I've got ten fans in my rig (including the two on the hyper 212 on my processor) and even in the non AC'd room when the ambient is 30 or so the processor is only hitting 60-70 on load.
Dead account - not checked anymore.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 01:39:33 pm »
Since two of the three comments have been about my needing more fans, methinks I should maybe get a couple more fans.

Supposedly my case comes with a couple. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Offline Elusive

• Species: Fox/Raven hybrid
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 04:53:16 pm »
Not sure how much your willing to spend or if you want to go with the blue color LED's your case comes with so here are some options. You may be able to find other LED colors for the following fans, but these will probably suit your needs. I would probably get 1 fan to add onto the cpu cooler and 2 for the top however, depending on how hot the environment the pc will be sitting in is, you may want to get another 2 fans for the side if the environment is especially hot.
Cheap (picked these based on airflow and noise):

Bit more expensive (more airflow and noise but still not that loud):

Offline Khronae

• Species: Sergal
  • Cheeeeeese~
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:34:27 pm »
I wouldn't recommend going for the 1070 as soon as it launches.

Wait for aftermarket vendor cards, you'll get better performance, thermals and volume - they'll drop the Founders Edition first, and that's basically a reference cooler (read: weak) for a substantial price premium.

Furthermore, might also be worth waiting for the Polaris launch - AMD cards are typically a better investment than nV, and their performance grows over time - case in point, 280X vs 770 - as well as superior performance in next-gen APIs as they start to roll out (as nV's current crop of architectures are designed around DX11 (Pascal is more or less literally Maxwell ported to 16FinFET)).

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 01:50:20 am »
I wouldn't recommend going for the 1070 as soon as it launches.

Wait for aftermarket vendor cards, you'll get better performance, thermals and volume - they'll drop the Founders Edition first, and that's basically a reference cooler (read: weak) for a substantial price premium.

I was thinking of going for the EVGA one, which is supposedly going to launch with the FE.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 12:08:43 pm »
I will add my 2 cents. Cooling is cheaper than burning up mother
boards or processors. So put good cooling on your processor and
case too..

Mine runs cool enough for browsing or reading, but when I get on
Warcraft I turn on another case fan, and you can feel the warm air
pour out of it. Even when the room is cool.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 10:47:26 pm »
I will add my 2 cents. Cooling is cheaper than burning up mother
boards or processors. So put good cooling on your processor and
case too..

Mine runs cool enough for browsing or reading, but when I get on
Warcraft I turn on another case fan, and you can feel the warm air
pour out of it. Even when the room is cool.

I did end up getting a couple of case fans. Though since there's no manual control and my mobo won't let me control them either, I've bought a couple of resistors for about $1 each and I'll see if that'll make them less insanely loud.

Offline Lorne

• Dead account - not used anymore
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 01:53:11 am »
Just buy a fan controller. I picked one up for 20 bucks and it works pretty well. Lets me control five extra fans individually and has five temp sensors you can place yourself. Plus it looks cool.
Dead account - not checked anymore.