Author Topic: Animegao kigurumi?  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Animegao kigurumi?
« on: March 02, 2020, 11:09:33 am »
Anybody ever heard of animegao kigurumi?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animegao_kigurumi
Anybody ever try it?
Seen it before in public or convention?
Know of anybody who performs it?

I only ask as it's something I've long, long been curious about as I've been an anime fan for a long time. All sorts of anime series. The masks are incredibly expensive. But the wigs and outfits not so much. An example of the masks and cosplay costume below.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Re: Animegao kigurumi?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 12:16:36 am »
Never seen it or tried it.  Not gone to anime con either.

Are the masks expensive because they are licensed product?
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 10:58:24 am »
Never seen it or tried it.  Not gone to anime con either.

Are the masks expensive because they are licensed product?

I don't think the masks are licensed that I'm aware of? The cosplay costumes are. But the masks are individually handcrafted to a maker's own designs and other factors. The masks can be as much as $600 or higher. The rest of the outfit is comprised of a full body flesh tone bodysuit that is worn (Link below). Then you add whatever cosplay costume you want or other clothing choices. Wigs aren't that bad as far as price either. Costumes depending on design, anime series, where bought from, and complexity can cost anywhere from $100 to $1000. Of course, a person can always cut that cost down by making their own costume if they wanted.
https://www.zentaizentai.com/imgload/v/793D23F/793CE58/793CED1/Ideal-Skin-color-Lycra-Spandex-Unisex-Morph-Zentai-Suit-12695-1.jpg

Animegao kigurumi is a way of bringing your favorite anime characters to life. Almost in the same way as furries bring their favorite furry characters to life by creating and wearing fursuits. Not much difference really. And animegao kigurumi is worn/played by both males and females. Surprising? Not at all. I've seen and heard of guys wearing female fursuits. And I know there was (or still is?) a guy who performs as an animegao kigurumi Minerva Mink at past or current conventions.

Anyway, one of my favorite anime characters is Kaname Chidori from the Full Metal Panic anime series. I doubt I'd ever have to chance to play a animegao kigurumi character. As I said, the masks are uber expensive. Without that, there is no character. But, if ever given the chance, I'd probably only do it for Halloween time only.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ror3h/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/965/15858/C00165__50030.1517473702.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:09:54 am by Kobuk »

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 08:32:22 pm »
 So just like how a fursuit head is the most expensive part, so is the mask for animegao kigurumi.
I guess that makes sense,  because it is a focal point for interacting with others.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 11:32:43 pm »
So just like how a fursuit head is the most expensive part, so is the mask for animegao kigurumi.
I guess that makes sense,  because it is a focal point for interacting with others.

Perhaps. You are right that a Kigurumi mask is expensive. But it being a focal point for interacting with others I'm not sure?
When designing a fursuit, I tend to feel that the main focus of a suit is on the head. It is instinctively what your audience will view first and what their eyes will look at. Your facial expression and how you have the ears, teeth, mouth, etc. says a lot about how your character looks and acts.

BUT........if you look at the picture link below and look at all the different kigurumi masks, I don't quite get that same feeling. A lot of pictures of kigurumi masks I've seen show a "cookie cutter" approach to designing masks. There's not much difference in styles. The eye color might change and the wigs might be different, but 70-90% of the mask is pretty much the same as any other kigurumi mask. You can't say the same for fursuit heads where the designs for fursuit heads vary greatly.

With kigurumi, what draws the audience isn't necessarily the mask and facial features, but rather the performance of the character and the design of the costume.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bc/Kigurumi_of_Kantai_Collection_Fleet_Girls_at_FF26_20150829b.jpg/1280px-Kigurumi_of_Kantai_Collection_Fleet_Girls_at_FF26_20150829b.jpg

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 12:28:30 am »
Oh wow, I see exactly what you mean regarding the masks being a little uniform.
The costume is actually more of a variable.
I rather like to gaze upon animal faces more than these anime masks... heh... I guess I am more furry...
(Name that tune!)