Do you believe in magic?

Yes
2 (20%)
No
4 (40%)
Not sure.
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Does magic exist?  (Read 6009 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Does magic exist?
« on: August 28, 2019, 03:03:44 pm »
Do you believe in magic? Does magic exist? Frankly, I don't think so. Magic is simply science that hasn't been explained yet. Anything touted as magic can be explained as either telekinesis, telepathy, empathy, ESP, or some other paranormal thing.

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
Re: Does magic exist?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 11:15:59 pm »
We'll its a matter of belief and there are things in this god forsaken rock that even science can't explain and and as a wiccan I don't really mess with magic I work with plants to work on herbal medicine and learn about nature and see what it has to offer
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 12:56:27 am »
If there were real psychics Vegas would be broke. If magic  was real we wouldn't strive to have the technology we have today. There would be no reason for it.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:45:31 am »
I believe in ESP and other similar "sixth sense" type of things but I think there are some things which are so rare and unique that they are often faked in the name of scams.

Take future telling for example. I believe Nostradamus had some method of seeing events to come but soothsayers, viziers, and other "fortune tellers" were by and large hacks with no genuine gifts.

I believe ghosts are real and that to see them requires some measure of extra sensory perception.

But magic? No. Magic is not real at least not in the popular depictions ala harry pottor or RPG mages.
The only kind of "magic" that I can accept is genuine and real is spells performed in wicca and even those are less magical spells and more akin to saying a prayer to god for something.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Itico

• Aging/Disabled/library advocate, writer, scientist
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 08:08:08 am »
I am on the bus with Kobuk here.

However, we are capable of doing some pretty amazing things without needing to cloak it in mysticism.

In the sens of telling the future, it may not be quite as hard as you might think. At least in some ways. If you are a student of history, you have a pretty good chance of being able to predict what people are going to do in the future. Myself, I'm a probabilist, that is, I weigh what I think might be the probability of things happening are. Even I have had predictive dreams which I can not be explained by probability completely. Ask me about the Alligator Soup (which contained no actual alligator.)

We are capable of doing some pretty amazing things without any special powers, if we only applied ourselves more.
"Amicus Plato, amicus Aristoteles, sed magis amica veritas." --Sir Isaac Newton

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 10:44:28 pm »
I do not know if magic(k) is real.  My sister is Wicca, she does indeed pray to god/goddess for help/fortune, much as christians/hindus/etc... do. 
But...Magic?  No. I have never seen it.  Penn and Teller also say it is illusions, and they are my authority on the subject.

But... Kay and Charcoal and I may have experienced things that are ... extremely hard to explain, and are honestly, very shaking to the person who witnesses them.  Perhaps that is why we are apt to believe a little in such things as ESP etc..?

You can find some of my "ghost stories" here.  And i have others I have not shared out of fear of being called insane.
(what do I have to lose now)

But, yet I have never seen magic
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 05:31:14 pm »
I believe in the magic that is fursuiting.  :D
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline FarFar

• Species: Anthro Canine / Corgi
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 08:38:58 am »
I agree in what Kobuk said. Lots of "magic(k)" is something that simply has not been able to be explained yet.

On the other paw....

I have seen some things that are difficult to explain. Perhaps in another 50 years science will be able to explain them, but for now, I think it is some form of magic(k) or spiritual reasoning.

I took the red pill...

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 11:40:59 pm »
I hope that in this advanced technological age--in which every happenstance seems to have a scientific explanation--that one can still experience a child-like sense of wonderment  that comes with imagination and creativity. Maybe that's what draws us to the fandom.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)