Author Topic: Traced act signed into law. To fight against robocalls.  (Read 3318 times)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Traced act signed into law. To fight against robocalls.
« on: January 02, 2020, 02:37:21 pm »
The good news is it's passed into law. The bad news is it's most likely not to work. Because most robocalls originate outside the US.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
Re: Traced act signed into law. To fight against robocalls.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 05:18:42 pm »
I get strange calls that hangup on the fourth ring quite a bit. Caller ID only shows name of a town, or (Name of State) Call. Others list the phone number twice.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 10:08:38 pm »
 It does surprise me that with many phone calls being generated with voip,  that the origin of the voice can not be accurately determined.  Maybe this surprises me since I don't know all the details how it works?

With land line phones,  the signal comes from a well defined place and goes straight to the phone company, and then to another place, and I bet it is easy to trace.  Just a guess.

And with the out of country calls,  wouldn't it be easier to identify these, since after all,  the amount of overseas calls is probably a lot lower than calls within the USA?

So with that said,  this can't be a new issue,  tracing true origin of phone calls.  And I would bet some agency has at least partly solved it and made a magic thing/ program to do it.

Nice to have a bill signed into law,  but it won't matter unless someone publicly uses the magic trace tools.

But I wish they would do something.  I have had several scam robocalls.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 12:45:06 am »
The one I keep getting here lately,
"Please do not hang up. We are calling about the status of your account."
So I hang up anyway.

It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 10:08:28 pm »
I got the one asking me to send my personal contact info to the Chinese consulate in Chicago because I had a package waiting there for my pickup...  yeah... sure...I think I'll pass
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 01:37:20 am »
Jade that's called Chinese take out. You give them your info. they take everything out. :)

You can pass a bill. But until there's legislation passed on how that bill should be enforced it's just a piece of paper everyone signed.  Let's see how long everyone dragged their feet on this one.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 10:20:51 pm »
Jade that's called Chinese take out. You give them your info. they take everything out. :)

HA!  Good one!
(Name that tune!)