Author Topic: Australia to kill millions of cats by 2020.  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Click link below for more fursuit information. ;)
http://forums.furtopia.org/kobuk's-fursuit-guides/

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Official Birthday Wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Re: Australia to kill millions of cats by 2020.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 01:26:04 pm »
I saw on tv several years ago that feral cats are causing problems in Australia. Sometimes
things have to be done even though it's not what we like to hear or see.

I understand Australia has long had problems with imported animals who have no natural
enemies. I read that an virus was created to kill off the high rabbit population there. That was
over 50 years ago. Worst thing about that was the cruel way the virus killed them. I am not
saying it was meant to be cruel. But the rabbits were destroying crops and vegetation so they
had to kill them off. Sometimes we have to do terrible things for our own survival.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »
I read that an virus was created to kill off the high rabbit population there. That was
over 50 years ago.
You're talking about myxomatosis, which was actually first observed in the mid-19th century and released in Australia in 1950, and kills via tunors and lung inflammation. It's not confined to Australia though - Rabbits in the fields where I grew up in England occasionally developed it.

I just hope they stick to shooting and trapping for the feral cats rather than releasing a virus - not only is it inhumane in the suffering it causes, as well as the potential to hit pets, it also winds up being ineffective in the long term as resistance gets bred into the population.

Realistically, getting the cat population down is going to take a very long time, and isn't helped by people not neutering their pets and letting them run wild outdoors.

Avatar by Shibara,  sig by Miser

0.1.0 carrot tail leopard gecko, Gelbstoff
0.1.0 bearded dragon, Dany
0.0.1 amel stripe het hypo corn snake, Vivec

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Amducious

• Species: The feral Sergal
  • Still breathing
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 05:22:42 pm »
Like Old Rabbit said even as bad as it sounds It has to be done.  If they needed help over there I would go and help.
Art by WhiteAkitaKeiko check out her art I'm sure you'll be amazed! --> http://forums.furtopia.org/artwork-announcements/akita%27s-art-journey!/125/

Put me in the dirt where I belong

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:33:25 pm »
Yep, Australia has a war on cats. We have lots of issues with introduced species. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species_in_Australia

Offline Old Rabbit

• Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 01:00:54 pm »
I read that an virus was created to kill off the high rabbit population there. That was
over 50 years ago.
You're talking about myxomatosis, which was actually first observed in the mid-19th century and released in Australia in 1950, and kills via tunors and lung inflammation. It's not confined to Australia though - Rabbits in the fields where I grew up in England occasionally developed it.

I just hope they stick to shooting and trapping for the feral cats rather than releasing a virus - not only is it inhumane in the suffering it causes, as well as the potential to hit pets, it also winds up being ineffective in the long term as resistance gets bred into the population.

Realistically, getting the cat population down is going to take a very long time, and isn't helped by people not neutering their pets and letting them run wild outdoors.

I agree.. That virus also caused Rabbits to go blind.  I think it was used in England
in the 1950's as well. I was reading about it in "The Private Life of the Rabbit" written by
R. M. Lockley.. It would have been better to have had something that would have
sterilized them instead.  But trapping and shooting is better even though it's more
difficult. At least it's more humane.

In the past people have tried  introducing other animals that might kill the first only to find it
usually causes more problems than cures. An ecosystem takes perhaps millions of years to
find a balance in nature. I don't think man will be able to successfully create one much less
repair one without great expense and time.

I think the cat problem was started when cats from ships found their way to land. Since
Rats and mice are everywhere man is, the cats would have been welcome.  I imagine
feral cats exist all over the world due in part to this.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:02:51 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 10:25:57 pm »
One of the governors here in Michigan signed into law that feral cats may not be shot. So strays may go about killing birds and baby animals, also breed more strays. Feral cats may still be live-trapped for pick-up by local animal control.

One recalls a population explosion of mice in Australia some years ago. The cats became too jaded to deal with it.

If the Aussie government offered recipes for cats as table fare, then the over-population problem could be corrected without great expense.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 12:18:38 pm »
One of the governors here in Michigan signed into law that feral cats may not be shot. So strays may go about killing birds and baby animals, also breed more strays. Feral cats may still be live-trapped for pick-up by local animal control.

One recalls a population explosion of mice in Australia some years ago. The cats became too jaded to deal with it.

If the Aussie government offered recipes for cats as table fare, then the over-population problem could be corrected without great expense.

I don't know if there is any culture that use cats for food. I know some use dogs.. It's doubtful the public
would ever go for that kind of thing. Animals that are considered pets tend to be a taboo for food in most places.

I heard cat fur was once used to line gloves.. I guess they could do that, but I imagine once people found it
out it wouldn't last.

A dog food manufacture tried to get approval to locate in our area, but when the public found they were going
to slaughter horses they were not approved. I heard they tried again upstate from here, but weren't approved
there either.  I think they finally had to locate in Mexico.. I don't know the brand of dog food, but I don't think
they ever said.

Rabbits are touch and go as pets, though most domestic rabbits are used for their meat and fur.
I probably wouldn't care to buy rabbit meat or fur myself.  It's hard to eat something that is typically
thought of as friendly and cute.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 09:29:16 pm »
Australia would never go for eating cats.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 09:34:50 pm »

China probably would.  :P
Click link below for more fursuit information. ;)
http://forums.furtopia.org/kobuk's-fursuit-guides/

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 05:09:34 am »

China probably would.  :P

Eh, in most of modern China eating cats is considered taboo.