Author Topic: New Forum Bug Reports  (Read 8103 times)

Offline Anthro_Inquisitor

• What is feared is not what is evil.
  • Male
Re: New Forum Bug Reports
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 02:34:29 am »
I have found yet another occurance of the thing above in "Furry Life" topic.

This one isn't me so I can't be one hundred percent sure, but I noticed a few things while reading Arkin's post.

First lets look at his actual post he made

--http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/Diseenith/Clipboard07.jpg

Now thats an ordinary post, yet somehow when i looked at his next one, I saw the same "quote" message at the top, and the same format as the one Weece had, with the bad indenting and such.

--http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/Diseenith/Clipboard08.jpg

Curious, I hit the Quote button and... what do you know.

--http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/Diseenith/Clipboard09.jpg

To follow up i compared that with the topic summery, and they do in fact differ.

--http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/Diseenith/Clipboard10.jpg

--http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/Diseenith/Clipboard11.jpg

I still don't know if this is an actual problem worth looking into, but until I get a lil feedback i'm going to continue to report different instances of this.

Offline Corax

• Still in the windtunnel...
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 02:15:51 pm »
PMs are working but yes the system is a bit odd. I'm hoping that does have the possibility of being changed as it's confusing.
For now YOU MUST click to save the PM in your out box or it won't send.
You also WILL NOT be notified about getting a PM unless you click the option to get PM notifications in profile then click the notifications link.

I found an option in my profile settings which automatically checks the "save PMs to outbox" checkbox.  It's not selected by default.
..::Corax::..

Offline Nocte

• Male
    • http://unicorn.furtopia.org/
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 03:44:20 pm »
I still don't know if this is an actual problem worth looking into, but until I get a lil feedback i'm going to continue to report different instances of this.
This is definitely a problem.

The old IkonBoard software added all sorts of HTML junk to the messages.  I was already worried this might do something funky when moving it to the new database, but there wasn't enough time to filter it out properly (or at least, without breaking more than it would fix).  It didn't look that bad after the conversion, but only now I realize how weird it can get when you reply to old threads.

The solution would be for me to look for such problems in active threads, and edit the posts.  So if you spot something, nudge me. :)  Luckily, this problem won't show up in new threads.
Drawing tutorial
FEHu3a A+ C D-- H M- P R++ T W-- Z Sm- RLCT a cl++++ d+ e+++ f- h+++ i++ j p sm*

Offline Katra

• Male
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 07:43:38 pm »
It appears the 'Life problems and help' forum only appears to adult members. (At least I can't see it when I'm not logged in.)
Richard Reid
Captain; webship Corwinda

Offline Anthro_Inquisitor

• What is feared is not what is evil.
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 08:01:21 pm »
This is definitely a problem.

The old IkonBoard software added all sorts of HTML junk to the messages.  I was already worried this might do something funky when moving it to the new database, but there wasn't enough time to filter it out properly (or at least, without breaking more than it would fix).  It didn't look that bad after the conversion, but only now I realize how weird it can get when you reply to old threads.

The solution would be for me to look for such problems in active threads, and edit the posts.  So if you spot something, nudge me. :)  Luckily, this problem won't show up in new threads.

Will Do ^^

Offline Prince Karo

• Admewnistrator
  • Species: Fluffy-tailed kitten
  • i am watching yooou.. :3
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/princekaro/
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 09:40:57 pm »
It appears the 'Life problems and help' forum only appears to adult members. (At least I can't see it when I'm not logged in.)

I believe it's just not viewable by guests.
My art: click here

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 01:15:38 am »
The Polls seem to have lost all but two of their options, which makes it hard to vote...

EDIT - I think it's only the older polls that have been broken.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:20:20 am by Feidai »

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 12:24:35 pm »
Yeah the conversion process was not %100 for the old data.  It was kind of a best effort.  If needed a mod can manually edit a message to try and fix it though.

I also added a spell checker (now in beta testing).
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot

Offline Evergreencat

• Male
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 11:04:40 pm »
My post count isn't rising after I make new posts. 

What could be wrong?

Offline hd25

• Male
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 10:38:42 am »
I can't post a new topic in the 'Life Problems & Help' section. Somebody help?

Offline Epsy

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 01:39:59 pm »

Me either, can't reply to threads neither, so it must be set to read only.

When it wouldn't let me I thought; "What if you called a suicide hot line and it was busy?"

xD

(not that I'm suicidal, just a thought)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:41:30 pm by Naomi Maru »
Avatar credit goes to Sheeta, thanks!
http://www.textswell.com/read,4206682163599 = Epsy fursona description

Offline Albino From About

• Holy Crap This Account Still Works! O_O
  • Male
    • My FA Account Of DOOM!!!
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 02:19:30 pm »
Found a new problem just by chance. I was E-mailing Corbenik about a local Meet and he replied back with his answer along and the following:
I have followed the instructions in the Furtopia email and for some reason, I keep getting a database error.  I changed my password and when I enter my log in information, It goes to that error screen.  Could you contact one of the admins in Furtopia about this?  I have tried both IE and Firefox and I still keep getting that error.  If you could do that, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

-Corbenik
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

The cow says “Moo”, the cat says “Meow”, the albino fox furry says “Stop it kid, that’s my tail not a pull string”

Furry Code: FCFh2adr A- C* D H+ M? P- R+ T++++ W- Z# Sm# RLU a cnw+ d- e+ f-- h* i++ j++ p- sm-

Offline Nocte

• Male
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 05:30:01 pm »
I think I got it fixed now, could you try again?

Found a new problem just by chance. I was E-mailing Corbenik about a local Meet and he replied back with his answer along and the following:
Hard to tell without knowing what error it was. I'll send him an email.
Drawing tutorial
FEHu3a A+ C D-- H M- P R++ T W-- Z Sm- RLCT a cl++++ d+ e+++ f- h+++ i++ j p sm*

Offline SerFox

• Male
    • Northern Fox
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 06:09:29 am »
It's sort of a bug, ore something I'd like fixed.  Or at least selectable.

When I post in a thread, after I reply it will always go to the thread index. I prefer being able to see my new post, as it a) confirms it HAS been posted and b) I can check for any spelling errors and edit it (I'm impatient and do't read it over.)
Sigmatoor? Wuzzat? o.o

Paw-Fox2

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2008, 02:11:13 pm »
Yes, I'm aware I have dupeicate accounts my normal account "Paw-Fox" won't work, and no it's not a password issue its a database issue - I've reset my password and when I try to login I get.

"Database Error - Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator." - I can't even logout when logging in, It displays that dam message on every action.

It's dam error which is really annoying me off.... really it is - Once this is resolved, I am all in favor to close this account (Paw-Fox2).

User that broken: Paw-Fox

Thanks - Paw
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:54:08 pm by Savaaha »

Offline Nocte

• Male
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 02:44:14 pm »
When I post in a thread, after I reply it will always go to the thread index. I prefer being able to see my new post (...)
Open the "Additional options" in the reply editor, and select "return to this topic".  If you want to turn this on permanently, there's an option for this in your user profile, under "look and layout".

Yes, I'm aware I have dupeicate accounts my normal account "Paw-Fox" won't work, and no it's not a password issue its a database issue - I've reset my password and when I try to login I get.
I think this is the same issue as Corbenik had.  I've fixed this, so could you try logging in again?
Drawing tutorial

Offline 466314

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 02:48:44 pm »
-
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:02:55 pm by 466314 »

Offline ScottyDM

• Male
    • Anthrofiction Network: for writers and the readers who love them.
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 06:51:07 am »
BUG FOUND

In the Wild Rose Country discussion thread in JonaWolf's section of the forums, I noticed some odd things with old messages (around 3 years old). I figured it was part of the message corruption I was warned about in e-mail from March 4th. What I saw was missing or corrupted user IDs (the part to the left of the messages) and messages that seemed to either be merged with other messages or seemed to have the wrong user ID next to them.

On page 3 of that thread I posted a brief message to Jona, he responded, and just now I posted a longer message back to him. When I hit "post" everything went whack! The tail end of my new message was attached to Jona's ID 3 messages ahead of it, and intervening messages seemed to be missing. It other words, it looked like Jona wrote that message and used my sig.

Not to panic, I opened up a different browser and tried looking at the page. The messages were all there, but the color of the text was off on some messages but not others. So I opened another brand of browser (I do web development) and this time the text was there, plus all the user IDs looked good, but the color on most of the text was off and a different color than the second browser.

THIS IS WHAT I THINK IS HAPPENING

Browsers get really sick when HTML tags are missing or corrupted. The first symptom (minor corruption) is missapplied styles (funny font sizes, colors that "bleed" from one element to the next, etc.). A more advanced symptom (major corruption) is that the browser will "forget" to render part of the page content, so you see stuff like missing rows on tables, and even big chunks of the page can be missing.

To test the missing/corrupted browser tag theory, I tried running page 1 of Jona's forum thread through W3C's validator. That page spewed 335 errors!

I then tried a few simple pages, such as the home page of the forum: 6 errors. On some of the pages that merely list forms I get the same 6 errors. A careful read of those errors leads me to believe there are 2 real errors and 4 generated by secondary effects.

I tried a discussion thread page were the first message in the thread was only a couple of days old (the messages not corrupted by the attack): 55 errors.

I suspect there are two causes to these errors:
  • General errors that occur on every page of the forum are caused by the PHP code that generates the pages. This is either because the code was corrupted in the attack, or there are bugs built into version 1.1.4 of SMF, or there are bugs built into some of the mods.
  • There is corruption in the database for some messages and some user accounts that passes oddly formatted data to the PHP page generator code, and the confused code is reacting badly.

With something close to a quarter of a million messages, it isn't practical to paw through the database to try to fix cause #2. However, it is practical to fix cause #1.

If during the rebuild the whole of the SMF code was replaced with fresh, then the solution lies with Inversion. If during the rebuild someone attempted to patch fixes into existing code, then the first thing to try may be a whole, fresh code base from Inversion. Inversion is supplying a DOCTYPE for XHTML 1.0 transitional, which strongly implies they care about standards and validation since XHTML is far more persnickety about corrupted tags than HTML.

I tried validating a few pages from the Inversion website including pages on their forum: 0 errors on all pages I tried. Hot dog! So Inversion not only cares, they know what they are doing.

THINGS TO TRY

If you have a spare machine, try installing a fresh copy of Inversion SMF and see if it validates. Then move your custom style sheets over, custom Java Script, and other customizations; check validation again. My guess is if you've added any mods, they could be spewing corrupted bits of code. Try adding mods one at a time.

As for database corruption, and after the page generation code is working, maybe the moderators need to lock old threads if they show excessive errors and start new threads on the same subject (assuming the subject is of ongoing interest). If you've got goofed up HTML near the top of the page, it's ugly will ripple down and can affect later parts of the page.

Meanwhile, don't panic. If you see really goofed up pages, as a temporary solution try a different brand or revision of web browser.

Scotty
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:54:21 am by ScottyDM »
"I'm obnoxious and disliked, you know that, sir." John Adams, 1776 the Musical

Offline Nocte

• Male
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 04:57:53 pm »
ScottyDM: Thanks for the analysis!  It seems that indeed a fresh 1.1.4 install validates nicely, and that all the W3 validator errors that pop up in new threads are there because of me. :)  I'll see what I can do.
Drawing tutorial

Offline ScottyDM

• Male
    • Anthrofiction Network: for writers and the readers who love them.
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 04:21:03 am »
Wow. Awesome. Is it mods, or something else? Just curious.

Scotty
"I'm obnoxious and disliked, you know that, sir." John Adams, 1776 the Musical

Offline Nocte

• Male
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2008, 05:52:43 pm »
I forgot to close some tags properly in the theme's templates.  (Porting the db and the skin was a bit frantic.)  There are still some things that won't validate, but as you can see, this has to do with the HTML Ikonboard left behind in signatures and messages.
Drawing tutorial

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
    • http://choky.furtopia.org/
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2008, 08:55:24 pm »
 I dont know if youd consider this important or not,but on the old version of the forums we could name our links. I now know we "can" do this but I had to look up how to do it on google caus I dont know anything about code.

Like when I press "Insert hyperlink",the code comes up and I put my url in between the code and it looks like this:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoS9cknJn-A

But what I didnt know is that to give your link a name you had to type "=" next to the first "URL" put the link after the "=" and then write the name of the link between the code like this:
 My Slipknot rabbit
 Doing this:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoS9cknJn-A]My Slipknot rabbit[/url]
 Im sure other furs who dont know how code works would be baffled just as I was up until now,can we maybe fix it somehow or maybe add a little memo or reminder somewhere so they know how to do it if they wanted to?

------------------------------

Also,what do the "Glow" and "Shadow" buttons do? I press them but it doesnt alter the text in the preview? I think Ill just try now: Glow and Shadow Ah,well I see theres code there,but I dont see the difference. EDIT: Nope,make no difference in the final post either.

I was also wondering,dont you guys get mixed up with how the new quotes look? I think its that the outlines on the quote box are too dark to see,I sometimes get mixed up between where the quote ends and the response to the quote starts.Is that my monitor or is it the same for everyone?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:03:01 pm by Choky »
Dude,where my Furryness?
424 passed games on N64,PSX,DC,XB,PS2,GC & X360.(Last updated on 29/09/13)

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2008, 10:32:22 pm »
I was also wondering,dont you guys get mixed up with how the new quotes look? I think its that the outlines on the quote box are too dark to see,I sometimes get mixed up between where the quote ends and the response to the quote starts.Is that my monitor or is it the same for everyone?

This was talked about in the suggestions thread and they said it's the same background color as the old forums for quoting, but is hard for me to see too.  You may be right then about it being the border lines.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
    • http://choky.furtopia.org/
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2008, 11:10:46 am »
 Well yeah,its the same colour as before but the actual line that makes up the quote box is far too thin for that colour to stand out from the background.Even if it was neon orange it would still be too thin(ok ok,hehe,exagerated a bit there) :D
 Good too know Im not alone though :) Thankies Narei (:
Dude,where my Furryness?
424 passed games on N64,PSX,DC,XB,PS2,GC & X360.(Last updated on 29/09/13)

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2008, 09:55:38 pm »
I've noticed I'm not getting reply notifications via e-mail any more.  I was when this forum came back up and I never changed anything in my profile that would effect it, especially my e-mail addy.  I also regularly check my spam folder and they are not showing up there either. I went to some topics I was already supposed to be subscribed to and clicked the notification tab.  The pop up box asked if I wanted to DISABLE notification, so it seems it's still supposed to be sending replies.  On one topic, I disabled and re-inabled notification to test it and still nadda.

*EDIT* I guess it had something to do with being on the Texas servers.  Once WS got everything moved back to his servers, I'm getting e-mail replies again.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:16:03 am by Narei Mooncatt »
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.