Author Topic: When do you go feral?  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Kirby the Fox

• Female
When do you go feral?
« on: November 07, 2008, 05:06:30 pm »
I have two versions of my fursona

A regular
http://fc28.deviantart.com/fs28/f/2008/108/5/3/Kirby_the_Fox__pen__by_stripedfoxx.jpg

And a feral version
http://fc20.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/190/c/7/Silly_Fox_Says_Random_Stuff_by_stripedfoxx.jpg

My regular I usually do for either regular roleplay or for my comics.  My feral is for stories or for roleplay.  What I noticed that made me wonder is that while my regular has more light hearted and upbeat tones in her actions, my feral is for more sinister or grim stories.

So I'm curious, does this happen with anyone?
Moo-bip

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
Re: When do you go feral?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 06:09:31 pm »
I saw the subject line, and thought you were asking us as people when we acted like animals. There was a thread on that subject a while back, I believe!

The original Tachyon was a Sonic fancharacter, and he was a peregrine falcon. But I didn't like the cartoony look that other Sonic chars had, and I had trouble imagining a Sonic-styled bird (Sonic Riders was not out yet). So I imagined him as a feral who could talk and had "dextrous wingtips," and was much larger than he'd be on our world but was shorter than most Sonic chars.

I used a feral avatar here for a while, based on this photo, before Millislim drew my anthro fursona. ^.^

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:00:17 pm »
I'm usually anthro and his mentality matches my own for the most part. Generally more reserved and serious, a thinker, mischievious, and he's not as outgoing as others. I'll just quote my character's bio on the feral aspect:

There is also a feral side of Narei that developed more or less on his own.  He doesn’t come out near as often and represents the more playful side of me that also doesn’t come out often.  Usually I’m a pretty serious guy, sometimes cynical and sarcastic but not bitter.  Occasionally I feel like being playful and romping around with others.  This isn’t something that happens often, and is way out of character for me.  That’s how feral Narei  came to be.  He’s one to be more expressive and emotional, often seen prancing around happily after getting some good news.  He’s usually a happy go lucky fellow in general.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:06:42 pm »
I'm still not clear on the use of 'feral' here. If you are meaning when am I more like an animal than an anthro then I'd have to say never. My anthro side is me, and like me I'm always a little animalistic, but never on all fours acting like a wolf....

Okay maybe when I'm playing around and acting goofy, but I wouldn't call that feral, to me feral means acting wild, like a true wild animal ie feral. Now in that repect I do get pretty feral when I'm in a fight, and thats not often since I never pull punches, if sommeone wants fight me seriously I don't care about fairness or rules, I'm like a beast out for blood. Because of this reason I try to avoid fighting at all costs.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline pocomouse

• Male
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 06:28:29 pm »
I guess my fursona is pretty feral all the time.  He doesn't wear clothes, drive a car, live in a city etc.

I've always pictured furries living in a more naturalistic environment.  Over-humanizing them kinda ruins the point, doesn't it?
After all is said and done,
More is said than done.                               

-Aesop

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »
I'm still not clear on the use of 'feral' here. If you are meaning when am I more like an animal than an anthro then I'd have to say never. My anthro side is me, and like me I'm always a little animalistic, but never on all fours acting like a wolf....

The way I understand it, "feral" is often just used to mean that your character's not anthro, but instead has a normal animal body. So it's kind of an antonym for "anthro." Many feral characters can still speak, some (like Kirby's) even wear clothes, but they never walk on two legs(*)-- so werewolves, for example, usually aren't feral. I think!

(*) unless they are birds or dinosaurs or kangaroos or two-legged stools :)

Edit: I forgot to answer the question! Arbutus was a feral character back when I was roleplaying him, and when I adopted him as my fursona he was still feral for a while. Actually, it took me a long time to "get into" the idea of anthros, even after I joined the furry fandom... but then I realized that, hey, I really liked the idea of being a walking talking rabbit. :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:56:09 pm by Arbutus »

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 06:51:29 pm »
I see, then no, I'm never feral. Thanks for clearing that up Arbutus.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 11:38:07 pm »
I've toyed with the idea, but really, I don't think mine ever does...

Besides, how could he while still wearing the medic costume?! :D
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:06:09 pm »
Besides, how could he while still wearing the medic costume?! :D

You haven't seen people dress up their dogs?

Shooting things with a rifle, though, that could be hard.

Offline Kigurou Sonkei

• Male
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 03:28:05 pm »
I mostly do my normal fursona when drawing, or describing about him, but if I want to go for a cutesy feel, I usually go feral. (:
Koala bears: The cutest infestation ever!

Offline Anthro_Inquisitor

• What is feared is not what is evil.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:12:47 pm »
If I ever wanted the dramatic 'serpent deceived Adam and Eve' effect I do have a feral snake/dragon state that can be very persuasive... and can be very mobile with all the climbing and flying its capable of.

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:16:41 pm »
I mostly do my normal fursona when drawing, or describing about him, but if I want to go for a cutesy feel, I usually go feral. (:

The feral version is always way cuter lol

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 12:22:59 pm »
heheh,   yep.   Alsways.    But... uh...  yeah....  Rarely,  now and then in IRC.  ^^

Offline Traumerei

• Male
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 09:17:56 pm »
Although my fursona is always anthropomorphic, the actions she displays are indefinitely feral. It's mostly just a cute approach to people, but it feels so lovely and kind. I've always had a tendency to do this. Whenever I use my fursona, I picture her as a feral. Though when I think of her, she is just an anthropomorphic lil' me. Make sense? XD
-

Offline Draconium

• Author of the Land Before Time War Fan Fiction
  • Male
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 08:33:37 pm »
hmm. No pictures of my fursona exist (yet) but I'd imagine that he leans towards the more humanized side. Brain hurts from trying to figure out how a Utahraptor can drive a car.
Please read and rate my fanfic: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley (Rated PG-13 for violence and profanity)

Click to save the dragon(s):

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 02:54:09 am »
now almost always 75% Feral in IRC.   Semi oposible thumbs,  ability to stand up on hind legs,  for brief periods of time,   and rather awquardly.  Also with the ability to pounce people and hug   (:

Everywere else i'm a regular anthro though.    ;)

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:58 am »
Umm... Alexandre is pretty much always anthro.  I mean, come on, he talks, right?

Whoa... this is weird talkin' about me in the third person...  :o

Anyway, I can imagine the feral version.  While he's already bouncy and nuts, he would be more so.  My goodness, that'd be fun!  Plus, llike Kigurou said, he'd be even more adorable!  :)
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Scrimno

• 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 03:18:58 am »
As for me, I'm always full anthro. I'm your typical fun-loving, danger-flirting, tree-hugging otter man. It's what I default to. If I'm asked to play a feral character, then I switch to my semi-anthro wolf character who is also quite bloodthirsty. When people go "Dude, what the heck?" I just say "Hey you wanted feral".
Join Return of the Werewolf with me! I'm looking for more players! Go to http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,40266.0.html

Offline missywolf

• Female
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 11:37:17 am »
 (: always anthro.

Offline Rimpala

• test
  • Male
    • http://www.artfv.com/music/bands_and_artists/
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 10:48:40 am »
When I feel like it, I'm normaly anthro though.

I'm ferral whenever I draw myself and and don't want to make something overtly "furry"

Offline Wolf Axle

• Male
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 11:29:34 pm »
well lets see um my characters writen in my feral form is just random but i like to keep things alive so my feral is nice and so is my usual form. i am set off by triggers that makes me be the way i am at home i'm gloomy and neutral at school alive so things set me off.

Pet's name: Iruu Darra
Adopt your own!
my fur code: FCW A+ C- D+++ H++ P++++ R+ T++++ W Z Sm RLWC a- c++ e- f++++ h* i++ j++++