Author Topic: MLP:FiM Season 2 Discussion (WARNING! Spoilers Within!)  (Read 60739 times)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
Re: MLP:FiM Season 2 Discussion (WARNING! Spoilers Within!)
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2011, 10:33:48 am »
Just saw the new one. Rarity's parents showed up.

Seems Rarity does indeed live on her own while Sweetie Bell lives with their parents.

OMG Granny Smith finally had lots of lines! :D

Seems a lot of charaters the fandom took as "Daughters" are now shown to be "sisters"

Again I feel the tremors in the force. As of a thousand fan fictions crying out in terror before being silenced...
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2011, 12:56:17 pm »
This morning I found myself unable to wait for this new episode to air, and I was going nuts counting the minutes down until 9AM.  I ended up sitting in front of my TV and turning on the HUB channel early, and I caught the last 15-minutes of Strawberry Shortcake by doing so.  While I was sitting in my recliner chair, bored, resting my chin on my hand, and killing time by watching the end of Strawberry Shortcake, I thought to myself how fortunate it was that My Little Pony didn't turn out like that show, and that it had so much more real humor, action, and creativity behind it... except that when Strawberry Shortcake ended and the new episode of MLP:FiM started, well, I still ended up resting my chin in my hand.

You caught what I wrote there correctly-- I hate to say it, but after watching "Sisterhooves Social," I found the episode kind of "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

I even watched the episode a second time through during its encore showing, and I still thought that it was primarily a yawner.

Granted, the episode started out pretty promising.  I actually chuckled a bit when Sweetie Belle attempted to cook Rarity breakfast, and managed to burn the juice.  I also thought Rarity's parents were kind of funny-- here you have Rarity who is this well-mannered, sophisticated, and fashionable socialite, and yet her parents kind of remind me of blue-collar people from Wisconsin.  How does that work out?  I can see Sweetie Belle being related to her parents, but Rarity doesn't really resemble or act like either her parents or her sister.  It makes me almost wonder if Rarity was adopted and has no relation to her other three family members at all!  Anyway, I digress-- after you see Sweetie Belle's comically burned breakfast, the comedy seems to completely shut off for the rest of the episode.  I had a bit of a grin when the sheep told AJ and AB that they "could have asked them" to go into their pen, and I thought that it was kind of funny when Rarity said "As Celestia as my witness!" instead of "As God as my witness" at one point during the episode, but these were very little things, neither of which made me take my chin off of my hand in excitement.

In other words, this episode was wayyyyyyy too "slice of life" and too little funny.  It's as if the writers completely forgot to storyboard some jokes into the plot.  Had this been the only episode of MLP:FiM that I had ever seen in my life I would have labeled it as a "little girl's show" just like the episode of Strawberry Shortcake that I caught the end of before it, and would have probably never felt very inclined to watch MLP:FiM again.  (Luckily, this was not the only episode of MLP:FiM that I have ever seen!)  Despite the fact that the credited writer for this episode, Cindy Morrow, had written some very good episodes for Season 1, this one was so underwhelming that for me this is "strike one" against her in my book.  For whatever reason, this entire season has been dramatically up-and-down with its episodes-- "Lesson Zero" had its funny moments but overall left me cold, "Luna Eclipsed" was an extremely fun episode and one of my all-time favorites, and now "Sisterhooves Social" got so wrapped up in its whole slice of life plot that it completely forgot about the funny and nearly put me to sleep in my chair.  Let's hope that this pattern means that the next episode, "Cutie Pox," will be truly spectacular.

I realize that I have become notorious for writing massively-long deeply-analytical walls of text for every episode of MLP:FiM that I have seen because I am so enthusiastic about the show, but I didn't really care for this episode all that much so this is all of the text that it is getting.  I would much rather have all of you go back a few posts in this thread and read and comment on my very long list of thoughts about the episode "Luna Eclipsed."  With how great that episode was I could easily discuss it for another whole week!     :)

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2011, 01:38:33 pm »
I really enjoyed this episode!  Far from being the sappy tea party I had feared, the show surprisingly grabbed me by the heart and didn't let go.  There were actually a lot of situations I could relate to as an older brother, but it all came to a head when Rarity found Sweetie Belle's "art project."  Manly tears were shed.

I also loved that there were so many reaction-image-worthy scenes, without the show feeling like a televised tour of the internets.  Sweetie Belle scooting around the floor when she was bored, various Rarity screams/holding in her anger, and the heart-rending sad Sweetie scenes.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2011, 04:21:27 pm »
I really enjoyed this episode!  Far from being the sappy tea party I had feared, the show surprisingly grabbed me by the heart and didn't let go.  There were actually a lot of situations I could relate to as an older brother, but it all came to a head when Rarity found Sweetie Belle's "art project."  Manly tears were shed.

I also loved that there were so many reaction-image-worthy scenes, without the show feeling like a televised tour of the internets.  Sweetie Belle scooting around the floor when she was bored, various Rarity screams/holding in her anger, and the heart-rending sad Sweetie scenes.

I completely agree. I loved the ending of the episode, too ;). I really really loved this one.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2011, 02:00:53 am »
I also didn't care for this episode. I think the lesson part of the plot was a great one, but was too sappy/serious for my tastes of the show. I did have a good laugh at some parts like Sweetie Bell crawling on the floor and Granny Smith messing up several times, but nothing truely noteworthy. I think this one is going at the bottom of my list. I can't even say the bottom of the list of favorites, just the bottom period. I realized pretty quick the AJ/Rarity switch by her eye color despite the mud at the end, but looking back on it I should have seen that coming a mile away. Oh well. The next episode sounds like it could be interesting.

*EDIT* I was also suprised at the lack of mane ponies, and even side ponies this time around. Side ponies more or less being ones IMHO that have focused camera time such as Granny Smith, the CMC's, etc. with speaking roles but not part of the mane 6.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:30:27 am by Narei Mooncatt »
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2011, 11:03:52 am »
Is it just me, or am I sensing a nearly universal pattern of strong love or strong apathy/distaste (nothing in between) on a person by person basis with respect to these episodes?  Let me break that pattern.  I liked the episode, but it wasn't one of my favorites.  As a (considerably) younger sibling, I was able to sympathize quite a bit with Sweetie Bell in this episode.

I realized pretty quick the AJ/Rarity switch by her eye color despite the mud at the end, but looking back on it I should have seen that coming a mile away.

I *did* see that a mile away.  Well, Rarity said that she knew what she needed to do, and what she needs to do is go to that race...  But where is she?  Wait!  There's a mud covered pony helping her sister!  That *must* be her!
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2011, 09:46:33 pm »
I really liked this episode, mainly because of the bored Sweetie Bell shenanigans because that's generally what I feel like doing all the time. But seeing Rarity's parents and an episode dedicated to Rarity were also good. She's so dramaesque~ It reminds me of myself :'D And there was no Twilight, she just plain irritates me.
Granny Smith was also good to see more of, I think she's my favourite non-mane six pony.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2011, 09:25:45 pm »
I finally got to watch this one just now. Here's a brief timeline of my thoughts:

1. Why is Rarity acting as if she hasn't spent any time with Sweetie Belle in recent history? We've seen them interact before and it's never that bad. Though SB does seem to be good at doing things that frustrate Rarity.
2. (after the drawing) Well, I just lost a lot of respect for Rarity.
3. Heck yeah AJ scenes!
4. (as Rarity is having her epiphanies) Karma, Rarity, karma. You should feel bad about yourself.
5. (when we see the drawing) *heart melts a little*
6. (after the race) How the heck did I not realize the pony swap sooner?
7. How did AJ stay in that mud for that long?
8. And how was Rarity able to do all that stuff so well during the race? That was AJ-type stuff, not anything Rarity would just be able to up and do without practice.

Explanation of #6: I was waiting for Rarity to show up right as the race was starting, then kinda forgot that whole part of the plot during the race. I just figured AJ was just messing around by diving into the mud at first.

I'm just not a big Rarity fan, and her behavior in this episode doesn't help, really. Sure, she comes around at the end, but still. Also, it was nice to see AJ have more of a starring role, being pretty involved in helping Rarity and SB out. Maybe people will slowly start to appreciate AJ a bit more. Though I still think she has yet to have her big moment.

Overall, I'm with RY on this. This one's pretty much in the middle of my overall list of episodes. If it weren't for AJ though, it would probably be pretty low. She really saved the episode for me.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2011, 05:26:16 am »
Not a Rarity fan here but the scenes with the best pony did save it for me. I didn't notice the swap but I thought it was a good episode overall.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Alerhys

• Male
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2011, 01:31:27 pm »
I enjoyed the episode. Then again, I have a little sister.  :D  Rarity as the daughter  with high-class ambition rebelling against her parents' lack of sophistication is totally believable, I had a great time playing spot the background ponies during the race, and I had no trouble with Rarity's athletic prowess; this is the unicorn who face-kicked a manticore and hoisted a huge boulder onto her back without her magic. Heck, her father has three footballs as his cutie mark and does not appear to have any sons; what do you want to bet that Rarity was basically forced to be athletic growing up, probably accounting for some of the reason she is trying so hard not to be like her parents?

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »
I enjoyed the episode. Then again, I have a little sister.  :D  Rarity as the daughter  with high-class ambition rebelling against her parents' lack of sophistication is totally believable, I had a great time playing spot the background ponies during the race, and I had no trouble with Rarity's athletic prowess; this is the unicorn who face-kicked a manticore and hoisted a huge boulder onto her back without her magic. Heck, her father has three footballs as his cutie mark and does not appear to have any sons; what do you want to bet that Rarity was basically forced to be athletic growing up, probably accounting for some of the reason she is trying so hard not to be like her parents?
I totally believe that. Someone needs to wwrite a fan fic involving Rarity in pee-wee football and getting her first fashion design inspirations by designing new team unifoms. Maybe she gets thrown off the team for being too frou frou? Or OH! OH! IDEA!!

She designs her own uniform for the team and gets tossed off the team because she doesn't want to get her new uniform dirty in the mud while playing!

I'd write it myself but have you been to my DA page lately? I've got enough writing in the works as is, I can't start yet another WIP.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2011, 11:58:58 am »
The Cutie Pox

Okay, the show is definitely back in it's stride after those first few episodes.

I'm not really sure what all to say except that I loved this episode. It was pretty darn hilarious through the last half of the episode. I completely lost it when Apple Bloom starting speaking in French.

Yeah. Nothing else to really say. I just thought this was a great episode.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2011, 01:38:59 pm »
Okay I just started the episode and this is already THE BEST ONE EVER!!!!

In the bowling alley, there are SOOOOOOOOO many nods to The Big Lebowski that I cannot watch the episode because I'm "squee"-ing too much to pay attention.

Oh god... I'm cracking up....
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2011, 06:33:53 pm »

In the bowling alley, there are SOOOOOOOOO many nods to The Big Lebowski that I cannot watch the episode because I'm "squee"-ing too much to pay attention.

Not gonna lie. Big Lebowski went right over my head.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2011, 08:48:19 pm »

Not gonna lie. Big Lebowski went right over my head.
Aw, thats such a shame. That cameo really tied the whole episode together man.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2011, 01:51:57 am »
Luna Eclipsed still has its top spot on my list, but I do think Cutie Pox was a very good episode. Top shelf at least. It did start a bit slow (Never watched Big Lebowski either to catch that one), but seemed to escalate pretty well. Seeing the reactions of the other ponies when Spike told them what Applebloom had was hillarious. The screams of terror. The cloud of pony limbs running away. The.... radiation suits??? :o Seriously, how does a no-techology society like Equestria have freakin' nuclear production?

Also, seeing Spike's reaction to Twilight's hair after Applebloom got it with the loop, I think maybe he isn't in love with Rarity after all. He's in love with Rarity's hair style! :P

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2011, 02:46:34 am »
Luna Eclipsed still has its top spot on my list, but I do think Cutie Pox was a very good episode. Top shelf at least. It did start a bit slow (Never watched Big Lebowski either to catch that one), but seemed to escalate pretty well. Seeing the reactions of the other ponies when Spike told them what Applebloom had was hillarious. The screams of terror. The cloud of pony limbs running away. The.... radiation suits??? :o Seriously, how does a no-techology society like Equestria have freakin' nuclear production?

Also, seeing Spike's reaction to Twilight's hair after Applebloom got it with the loop, I think maybe he isn't in love with Rarity after all. He's in love with Rarity's hair style! :P

I thought the same thing when it came to Rarity's hair :D!

Overall, I really enjoyed this one.

Slowly, Season 2 is getting better and better for me :D

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2011, 10:46:35 am »
Believe it or not, so far we are actually all in consensus about liking this episode because I really liked "The Cutie Pox" as well!  *cheers!*  How about that!?  Have we all ever agreed on an episode before?  While I didn't quite like this episode as much as I liked "Luna Eclipsed," it is still easily my second most favorite Season 2 episode!

My random thoughts and observations about this episode:

• I caught the pony-parodies of the characters from The Big Lebowski right away, however unlike Kaloyan Alett I wasn't "squee-ing" about it.  I realize that I am probably in the minority on this one, but I never found the film The Big Lebowski to really be all that noteworthy.  I thought that it was alright when I saw it, and I have probably watched it two or three times since then, but I never really saw what all of the huge fuss and cult-status of the film was all about.  So instead of "squee-ing" in delight when I saw "The Dude" making an appearance, I instead started wondering how many drawings of those characters were now going to start polluting the EQD "Draw Friends" postings and taking away from the amount of "Princess Luna in a Tennis Skirt" drawings that I love!   ;)
  • Cheerilee may be pretty cute (if I was a little student in Ponyville I probably would have a crush on her during class... :D ), but she is not very good when it comes to actually teaching stuff, is she?  Here she is, about to call all of the little ponies back inside the schoolhouse to better their minds with the gift of knowledge when she just drops all of her lesson plans and allows all of her charges to play with loop-dee-hoops for the rest of the day!  And later, Cheerilee just gives up on teaching her class entirely and just follows Applebloom as she puts on her show around town!  Are all ponies so easily distracted from their duties?  I was so surprised that she allowed her students to do that that I thought that I was watching an Applebloom dream sequence at first because really, who in their lives have ever had a teacher that would just drop everything and spontaneously do something fun like that?  Not me, that's for sure!  But when I found out that it wasn't a dream sequence and that Cheerilee was really doing that, well, it instantly became kind of obvious to me why so few ponyfolk in Ponyville use the town's library to the point that Twilight Sparkle could use it as her own private residence!  Confound those ponies-- they need to stop living their happy little lives to the fullest playing out in the cheerful sunshine, go lock themselves inside their dreary little bedrooms, and read books about other ponies who at one time lived their happy little lives to the fullest out in the cheerful sunshine-- books are good for them!  :P  Just re-watch the episode "Lesson Zero" and look at how well Twilight Sparkle turned out!   :D
  • When Applebloom was putting on her show around town I love how she fired her loop-dee-hoop through Rainbow Dash's cloud while Rainbow Dash was sleeping without waking her up-- I thought that was a stitch!
  • Like Narei and Shim, I also thought that it was extremely funny when Spike started swooning for Twilight Sparkle after her hair was done up like Rarity's-- in fact I think that was my favorite joke of the episode!  It would be so funny if the writers would devote a running gag throughout an entire episode to this joke, with Twilight Sparkle possibly getting a makeover from Rarity causing Spike to realize that Twilight Sparkle was "beautiful all along" and romantically chase after her (with Twilight Sparkle fleeing from him and being completely weirded out by his advances) until she accidentally loses her new Rarity-esque hairstyle and Spike loses interest in her.  Kind of like some Pepe LePew gags but with Spike and Twilight, you know?
  • My second most favorite joke of the episode was when Twilight Sparkle was reading the list of Equine diseases out of a book and mentioned one of them as being "the trots!"  LOL!
  • You can get a chimney-sweeping cutie mark?  Yeah, that sounds like a *fun* talent!  It seems as if some ponies can really get screwed over by their cutie marks-- how would you like to be the pony that gets the "stable cleaner" or "ditch digger" cutie mark to appear on their flank?
  • I like how Spike just lazily sat by, drank a soda, munched on popcorn, and enjoyed the show while Applebloom practically exhausted herself to death as her cutie pox spiraled out of control!  Jerk!
  • I'm generally not a huge Pinkie Pie fan, but I thought it was pretty funny when she felt compelled to confess about her lying about how many corncakes that she ate!

Well, it looks like the rest of November is going to get about 40% cooler because it seems that the next two episodes are devoted to Rainbow Dash!  *cheers!*  Currently I am taking the position that Rainbow Dash is the best pony, so I am *really* hoping that both of these episodes turn out to be absolutely epic-- especially since the Rarity-centric "Sweet and Elite" episode coming after them looks like it will be a generic "friend or idol decision" trope-following story with the appropriate moral anvil being dropped on us in the end.  I just hope that they find some creative spin for the plot of "Sweet and Elite" or storyboard in some entertaining jokes this time around so that the episode doesn't turn out to be another "Sisterhooves Social"-type snorer.  I want fun in my ponies, dang it!  Well that and maybe a little... "plot."  (j/k!)   :D

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2011, 01:10:43 pm »
You can get a chimney-sweeping cutie mark?  Yeah, that sounds like a *fun* talent!  It seems as if some ponies can really get screwed over by their cutie marks-- how would you like to be the pony that gets the "stable cleaner" or "ditch digger" cutie mark to appear on their flank?[/li][/list]
Well, if you can have bubbles for a cutie mark :P..
I'm generally not a huge Pinkie Pie fan, but I thought it was pretty funny when she felt compelled to confess about her lying about how many corncakes that she ate!
And even then, she was lying :D!

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2011, 02:21:26 pm »
Was browsing DHN again today and spotted this gem in their review of Cutie Pox.

Quote from: From Derpy Hooves News
The other chatter from this episode is the appearance of a grey pegasus filly with blonde hair and derpy eyes that appeared at the 8 minute and 33 second mark.

This of course is where the fandom starts to really roll in, outside an obvious and somewhat more random shout out to the fandom, besides Derpy herself garnishing some scenes.  I know there'll be three different fanons created for this, but of course with Derpy (or any fanon really), its all up to what you want inside your head canon.

Some are going for the Doctor Whooves aspect, that it is Derpy as a filly who is time travelling with the good doctor.  Some are probably going to take this as a replacement for Dinky Hooves, due to her appearance in the Sisterhooves Social, or a new character is going to be spawned from this, a sister for Ditzy (or the ultimate head canon of including this grey pegasus along side Dinky & the purple adultish pony from the Social episode).

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2011, 04:40:26 pm »
Mini-Spoiler! Just released on FiM's facebook page: Owlicious!

And I must say I'm disapointed in all the people wanting Scootaloo to be RD's pet. That wouldn't follow any of the other types of pets, not to mention it would be wrong. So very very wrong.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:46 am »
*crossing his hooves for a turtle to be picked at the end of the episode*
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2011, 11:53:46 am »
Mini-Spoiler! Just released on FiM's facebook page: (snip)
I usually avoid the spoilery stuff ahead of the episodes, but that is still an awesome picture.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2011, 11:58:28 pm »
Wow... a tortuous. Who'd have thougt. Only the entire fandom since they realized RD was the only one without a pet. I wonder how much this episode was meant to be fan service. LOL

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2011, 12:08:56 am »
Wow... a tortuous. Who'd have thougt. Only the entire fandom since they realized RD was the only one without a pet. I wonder how much this episode was meant to be fan service. LOL

If I didn't know the time scale that it takes to write and produce these, I'd agree!  When we were hanging out and someone mentioned a turtle with a jet pack, you don't know how much willpower it took to keep a big apple-eating grin off my face to prevent spoiling it.  Now I just wonder if the tortoise (is he named?) will never appear again until next season like Winona.

I'm just dreading hearing all about "Oh, it's so predictable! There was too much fanservice!  They were acting out of character!"  I agree with all that to a small extent, but somehow I was still OK with this episode.  You could tell the tortoise was going to have some significant role at the end (if not definitely be the winning pet), but I was still surprised by the rockslide and how the tortoise lifted the rock to free RD.  Whoa, that's like the Incredible Hulk right there!