Author Topic: Who or what influenced your art style?  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Mylo

Who or what influenced your art style?
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:28:35 pm »
I was influenced by so many people when it came to my art style.  What about you?  Whose art style were you inspired from?  Did you try to emulate anyone?  What things did you change when you adapted certain techniques for your own art?

Offline Keo

Re: Who or what influenced your art style?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:43:41 pm »
When I try to draw, no one, really.
And apparently I'm doing it all wrong (not like I don't suck at everything anyway).
When I get back to drawing again I hope to restart the learning process. I'm still pretty much an absolute noob. 2 months ago I said I'd do something for at least an hour everyday so I could draw for the first time in my life and that I'd do it properly.

Though, I have no idea how to emulate, inherit or even copy a style, I didn't even use those anatomical skeleton thingies I've been shown.
Hoping to learn traditional art first... Even if I have to do it on a tablet that constantly impends a crash because my parents won't let me get supplies and stuff -.-

If I had to choose I think traditional stuff would influence me, I can't really name artists. We also like the cute, chibi-ish and sleek stuff over the masculine stuff, not like we dislike masculinity, it's just we find human muscular make up to move too far away from the animal side of things - i.e. 2/3 animal base, 1/3 the most interesting human-ish features selected. Don't think we would be scared of experimenting either.

Offline Scarlegs

• Hey...Hey kid.....Wanna buy a dishwasher?
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:10:36 am »
When I first started it was Snookumsgal on DA and now...Not really anyone, though I do like the lanky and angular types of styles........
FF FFD3adm A+ C- D H++ M+ P++++ R- T+++ W Z- Z- Sf-- a- e- f++ h* i++ p++
Here is my DA http://scarlegs.deviantart.com/
#A38CF3 < Just a reminder!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:33:51 am »
I would say I was mostly influenced by the 1930's to 1950's Disney and Warner bros
animal character cartoon art. I do look at current furry art and pick up on styles
I like. But I can't point to any individual artist.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:38:15 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kasuni

• Species: Ocelot/Wolf
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:24:15 am »
I have always love drawing. when I was little I was really bad. they were just circles with a smilely face and sticks for legs. as I got older I tried to make my art look like real animals. I could never get it right. I kinda just took art skills from everyone. color the way my mom did, draw how my cousin did. look up pictures on google and try to copy them without tracing.

the best art I have ever draw was when I was little. I had a book from my favorite movie. it was huge because the pictures were really big. I wanted to draw a horse from the book. I put the book on the table beside me and the paper in front of me. I copied the picture line for line. it took me a half hour. when I was done, everyone at first though I traced it. to this day, that is my best work. I don't know where the picture is. I left the book at my grandparents house. they threw the book away.

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:38:04 pm »
Amongs some of my stuff that I prefer, I would have to say that popular influences are Aron Alexovich, Jhonnen Vasques, Tim Burton, and Lauren Faust.
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:31:10 pm »
I was influenced by so many people when it came to my art style.  What about you?  Whose art style were you inspired from?  Did you try to emulate anyone?  What things did you change when you adapted certain techniques for your own art?

When I was very young, a variety of film, television and video game characters fueled my imagination and inspired me to draw. Among these were Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dinosaucers, My Little Pony Tales, Disney's TailSpin, and any number of Looney Tunes episodes. Disney's The Lion King had a huge influence on me as I got older, as did Spielberg's The Land Before Time, We're Back!, and Jurassic Park. I also was inspired by drawing my beloved dinosaur toys. They served as models I suppose.

At first I drew Sonic characters fairly well (I got a prize for a piece in high school in the Anime Club!  :-[ ), and branched off from there with my own furry creations. As I learn more about animal anatomy, my drawings change...I try to incorporate more realism in my pieces, but they come off cartoony, so I suppose I am a cartoonist at heart. :) 

My greatest inspirations now are a ton of wonderful paleo artists, namely James Gurney, Julius Csotonyi, Emily Willoughby, Mark Hallett, and Bob and Tess, to name a few.  :)  I admire their ability to capture ancient life so vividly...meanwhile, my cartoonish dinosaurs are lovey dovey or goofing off in the background, tripping over logs and what-not.  :-[  :D
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:41:35 pm »
Keith Thomson, Anime, Kate McElroy, KhaosKai and whatever is in my DeviantArt favourites. I generally browse for pictures that are in a style I want to emulate and reference from that :P Mostly learnt from books though, the main ones being Keith Thompson's Drawing and Painting the Undead and The Complete Idiot's Guide to drawing Manga.

Offline Mint

• Female
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/berkamint/
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 08:19:25 pm »
I use to draw an anime style, but then I started drawing more (Kind of had to with my college major) and it morphed into a Tim Burton art style. Big heads and eyes with tiny bodies and very grotesque sometimes.

Offline WhiteAkitaKeiko

• Species: hug loving American Akita
  • I will find you, and I will hug you
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 01:05:07 pm »
I was influenced by Falvie on FA and Tim Burton . But I try to make my own style from these two.
But my first inspire was from Disney .
When I was really young like 3, I had a book "how to draw cartoon animals" and I was pretty good ,
but when I began to grow , I lost interest in art.
But recently , I think a year I came back to drawing, I think my best decision yet.
Icon by myself

Choose wisely who you hate and hunt.
Because the shot you've used..might've been fatal

Offline T-Yoshi45

• 80% Raccoon, 20% Wolf, 100% Awesome!
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 10:17:56 pm »
I've mostly been inspired by my aunt. She draws and paints all this very cool surreal nature-esque style which I've taken elements of and mixed it with my vibrant, edgy style of drawing with long, lanky characters. She taught me just about everything I know about art and has encouraged me all my life when it's come to art and creativity, according to her I've had a crayon in my hand since I could hold one.

Profile pic by Sandy Schreiber, her work's awesome!

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 05:05:15 pm »
I have no clue who I was influenced though. I'm pretty sure It might of been Anthro art in general on DA. Also one of my friends kept linking me that cartoon wolf style art. (Don't know what its called)

Offline Nagi

• Species: Spider
  • I'm a spider now :3
  • Female
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 05:48:12 pm »
From what my mom says I've been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil. I watched Pokemon alot growing up so that influenced my art alot. As I got a bit older I wanted to try realism so I started by tracing photos, then copying, then free hand, in a few months I had canine anatomy perfect so I just combined my anime and realism styles and eventually branching off to other species saving humans for last. I practiced human anatomy using the character creation system on my SoulCalibur games.
Eventually I had my own style kinda common from what Ive seen but I like it.

Ive been trying a toony or super toon style for awhile, that style is inspired by Looney tunes, Disney, and Matrices art style.

Its quite fun switching between the two styles every once in a while, Cassandra looks perfect in both styles especially super toon so I draw her alot when I practice my super toon.
I really need to come here more often XP