Author Topic: Handpaw sniffers?  (Read 5004 times)

Offline gaz

• treat??
  • Male
Handpaw sniffers?
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:49:37 pm »
Haha That was a weird title.  But idk I was just thinking about how I tend to sniff my paws a lot... sometimes after eating or touching something, even if they don't smell.  Not sure if this is furry or not..? But I was just curious to see if anyone else smells their handpaws every once in a while, even for no good reason.

Offline Onion

• Kupo!
  • Male
Re: Handpaw sniffers?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:18:01 pm »
Depends on the situation, I guess. Not that it has anything to do with nastieness.

Like if I sprayed my wrists with colone, I just made some cookie doeh, washed dishes, or made tuna salade. thats about it.

I do sometimes composively sniff the air. its more of a reflex I guess.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 01:34:25 pm »
I'm kinda the same as Onion Knight.

I tend to sniff the air on impulse and such.
Which is odd, considering I have almost no sense of smell... x_x
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Zhono Veranhaut

• Species: Chocobo
  • Some things never change it seems.
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 01:47:58 pm »

:D Same here!

I do tend to compulsively lick my handpaws as well sometimes.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:12:40 pm »
I've never really payed much attention to that. But I am quite fond of my sense of smell, and I use it quite a lot. Anytime I try new food, I always give it a good sniffing first, just to know what to expect. And when I'm cooking, I often rely on the scent to see if I need to add something else.  But it doesn't really stop at food. I often sniff at random other things as well. Mostly if I'm exploring something that's new to me or that I've never seen before. I will usually smell it just because it's what I do.

As for scent on my handpaws, it basically goes along with what I just said. I know that I do this after cooking food. But anything that leaves a lingering scent will do. I probably do this more often than I realize.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Geass

• Action is ALL that matters
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:59:36 pm »
I sometimes just have to smell a place I have ever been to,or when someone says it stinks I HAVE to smell(I'm the curious type).

When my hand touches my face,I'm usually doing a face palm or fixing my glasses.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:11:45 pm by Geass »

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 03:33:27 pm »
Wat. No.

Now I feel the need to scrub my hands.
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline Carry

• Bite Me
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 05:31:15 pm »

:D Same here!

I do tend to compulsively lick my handpaws as well sometimes.
Same  ^^
but sometimes I rub my face with my handpaw...my teacher looked at me once with the face that said "My word, is something wrong with that child"

XD
Ungulates United local #416

Offline CiceroKit

• I'll get back to you on that
  • Female
    • My FA page
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 07:29:32 pm »
Oh my, I am really about to confess this. Yes. Yes I do sniff my paws. All the time. Did so ever since I was a kid. Part of my OCD regimen. But yeah, it doesn't have to be because you touched something nasty or anything. I don't really know what it is. In third grade, one of my teachers thought I was picking my nose. She said, "stop picking your nose," and I told her, "I'm not... I'm smelling my hands!" She said that was silly and that no one sniffs their hands, but then ten other people in the class said, "Yes, she does... she has since first grade!" Actually, I started before that, but went to a different school for kindergarten. Anyway, she wasn't a great teacher.

A funny side note: In my first grade year, our class put on a play which was a Beatrice Potter story about Peter Rabbit. I played either Flopsy or Mopsy... can't recall. I am up in front of the classroom, in front of friends and parents, acting all bunny like and trying not to sniff my paws. I was not successful. My parents were shooting the event with our old Super 8 camera. When they transferred the movie reels to DVD a couple of years ago, my mom asked me what song she should put the scenes from the play to (all the Super 8 film reels were devoid of sound). I responded, without a second thought, Lynyrd Skynyrd's "That Smell." That DVD is the single most disturbing thing anyone could want to see, but it is hilarious!!!
Artist. Educator. Activist. Writer.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/cicerokit/
Cicero Kit on Second Life

Being a furry artist is a sideline; I am a public relations professional by trade as well as adjunct faculty at two technical colleges in Wisconsin. I also freelance as a graphic designer and journalist and have had an editorial comic series published. Anything you want to know? Ask.

Offline Murkrow

• my second fursona is a Spore Creature! 8D BIRGEE!
  • Female
    • Murkrows Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 11:39:38 pm »
i mostly sniff my hands when im bored, or just to see what smell was there after somethin i last touched.

like hand soap! it smells nice! but sharpie marker doesnt, but ill sniff it so i can get it off later. or just do the i-hate-that-smell-but-i-cant-stop-smelling-it thing. ._.;

& i smell everything, from foods i havent tried to books, to even rocks & random stuff i pick up!
"If we could sit together a moment and talk forever just to pass the time, I would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine when your eyes are locked on mine. Oh we'll fill the metro skies with country air, and when you close your tired eyes, I'll meet you there.

I'll meet you there." ~ Owl City

Offline oxoxtwinklexoxo

• Female
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 11:08:13 pm »
I'm a nail-biter, so I end up smelling my paws inadvertently often.
Live free, on two paws or four. Let your spirit soar.

Offline Zanner

• Vermont Rocks! Maybie..
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 05:02:44 pm »
Okay - this seems like one of those topics like (yes this is hyperbole - so sue me) like if one looks at one's -used- tp...
I don't think it's quite polite convesation - and cannot see why no-one is grossed out bythe fact we are talking about it. (not that we should not talk about it - by all means, use your right of free speech!!!!).

But still. Also, i do not think it is, well, 'furryish' any any way. Licking ur paws is, but not thins, imho.
And to anser the question, yes, i find that i do on occassion, istinctively sniff them.   :P
The meaning of life, is to live it.<br /><br />____<br /><br />Nothing is impossible, only improbable.

My FurAffinity page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/zanner/

Offline Saril

• Female
    • FA
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 11:19:46 am »
Sometimes I have a weird compulsion to smell my hands after chopping onions, garlic, or peppers. The smell lingers even after I wash them, and it comes out my pores if I eat a lot of it. I actually like the smell of bell peppers. I can't stand having the smell of fish or shrimp linger on my hands, though. I have to wash and wash and wash until it comes off. I can't think of any sniffing that goes on when I'm not chopping food.

Honestly, this is a pretty lolwut topic.

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 02:37:39 pm »
sadly my sence of smell is mostly shot, it has to be stupidly strong before i can smell anything, so im not really trying to smell things much anymore : /

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline FoxyFox

• Female
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 06:18:27 pm »
I sniff the air alot, and I mean A LOT!  (: But I don't think I sniff my hand paws all that much.  Unless I just did something with food like most of you have said.

I do, on occasion, when one one else is around, and I'm bored,.... sniff my feet paws. :o  I know its weird.  But I mostly do it when they're clean, like fresh outta the shower.  I don't know what it is but feet paws smell different than hand paws.  Even when you wash them both with the same soap. (:

Pet's name: Synder
Adopt your own!

Offline DogboyShugo

• Male
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 05:18:37 pm »
Hmmm, i do that a lot too...I sniff my paws a lot after touching certain things lol
~lost in my own paradox~

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 02:20:43 pm »
I usually lick my hands clean from something....not in public usually, though one time, I had a cut on my hand, and I licked it....in the middle of 1st period hebrew...oops..I got some stares..

Offline Salem666

• He makes me feel like eight, like thirteen.
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 06:57:31 pm »
I sniff my hands, dishes, clothes, bedsheets, stuffed animals, food, etc. Just about anything, really. I think part of it could be contributed to being a fur, but a large part of it is due to my Tourette's and the OCD that goes handpaw in handpaw with that. I always smell dishes before I use them, no matter what they smell like or what I now they'll smell like.

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 07:03:12 pm »
This thread is past the six month grave-digging limit, so it has been locked.

When posting in the future, please check to see that the date of the last post is no more than six months ago.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#