Author Topic: What being a furry symbolizes to you.  (Read 12878 times)

Offline Anthro_Inquisitor

• What is feared is not what is evil.
  • Male
What being a furry symbolizes to you.
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:30:36 pm »
From being spiritually akin, to finding them hot, I've heard many reasons why people want to be furries. Some take it seriously, some take it lightly. I've seen people use it as a form of pride, and some as a form of outright foolishness.

Furry to me symbolizes leaving my humanity to be something different, to be apart from the rest of society. Being always picked out as the strange one (Always doing the unusual, being distant from others, even so far as giving up what others would never give without reason) I've always felt the desire that whereas my mental self is different, my physical self should follow in suit.

I've heard this reason sounds a bit odd, considered such a view is also what allows me to be uncaring to those around me, however it is a form of addiction to me.

Being as to that is my reason, I've become curious as to what everyone's reasons are for being a furry: or what being a furry means to them as an individual. Being as to how curiosity is, don't leave anything out ^^

I apologize as well for any odd grammar, it has been quite awhile since i've been in association with people on a conversational level.

Offline Omni

• Female
Re: What being a furry symbolizes to you.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:09:58 am »
At first, simply because I love how furries look (yes, the "hot" part). Later on also because, at least for me, it symbolizes how humans are still an animal race and how we should actually care about other animals as well instead of building, building and building on the places were other animals live, destroying their surroundings. Also because I like to feel connected to other animals, instead of feeling like just another human being destroying the home of animals.
Previously known as Omni. Now known as mlatylorxu (catfox) or, at times, as mlatu (cat).

Offline Tsumetaiyuki

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:44:01 pm »
symbolizes nothing. I just think they look cool.
Cold Heartless Cruel Nazi.

For all the grammar/spellin Nazis
Yur just mad cuz u kant speel as gud as mee

Offline Nathan Wolf

• Circus Trova
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:30:09 pm »
Not to many other people that remind me of myself in the world.
You might as well have just stole the words from my very breath I feel in alot of ways you do.  Of course a lot of people will end up here some clean ways and some not as clean as we would hope, but you can't exactly Google furry and get all of the nice cheerful forums before all of the evil sites that diminish our names.

I feel something strange when I run,  Somewhere between the wind singing in my ear to the lightness I feel in myself I knew I couldn't ignore them for long.  Yeah, I was just running outside of my house, I also like the jingle of my chain.  It's the only thing I constantly where until my collar arrives, but other than that, I rather enjoy my furry life so far.

Once I open the hopefully open the gates to the blind, soulless students that roam the halls and rooms of my school I can start being more open about it.  Until then I will be gathering all of my fuel form here, to generate the mind I have and create more inspiration for my story.  I already am considering mentioning this site in it.  I ended up making Siren at wolf boy!

So if I can come from a mindless emotionally disturbed human to an energetic curious and creative furry, I believe that anyone could eventually become involved in it as much as I am.  I really never considered myself a furry until very recently, I just admitted the fact to myself and everything became clear. Having others who have done the same around you can influence your life in ways you may have never imagined.

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:29:53 am »
To me being a furry symbolizes freedom to be how I want to be. I think it helps me get back to the animal sides of us. We are still animals deep down, and we don't acknowledge that enough. Sometimes when I run (usually uphill when the ground is closer to my hands) I just want to get on all fours and run. I think being here has actually unleashed my furry even more, as now I'm around people who love being a furry.

It's also a release from all the pressures of the world around me. My human side worries about the everyday stresses and my furry side worries about having fun.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline DeltaFur

• Philosopher/Scientist in the making
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:53:04 pm »
I don't know. Reading some of these responses kind of make me think as if I am missing out. Missing out on something...fun. I wish I could say the same, feeling one with my inner animal and all that. But I don't. I'm a human, sadly. A furry, but still a human. I like the art, some of it is quite excellent. Mostly though, its just the fact that this goes against society's norms. I love busting norms. Its fun. I guess I like doing that because I feel, deep down inside, that I am a boring person. And that scares the hell out of me. It disgusts me more than anything else, as well. I am a furry for those reasons, I guess.
~Delta~

Pet's name: Pepper

My Furry Code: (PM me if I got it wrong somehow) FFD2amw A>+ C-> H++ M+ R+ T++ W>+ Z?> Sm RLU>MH a19 cl++ d+ e->++++ f+ h*>++ i+ j+ p*> sm>m+

Offline Cubbers

• Female
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:21:18 am »
To me, being furry means that I love anthro animals: I love to see them on the TV , I love to draw them, and I love to create them.

Offline Battery

• Male
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »
Being furry means I can be different. It gives something other then humans to draw. Being a furry I now know there are people like me in the world, different.
DeviantArt - FurAffinity - Weasyl - Tumblr - Twitter - Skype: BatteryAcidLeak

Offline Bolt

• Male
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 09:25:10 am »
Being a furry to me, symbolizes how close I was to my dog. I felt a deep connection with her, and even though she's gone, I still feel that spiritual connection between me and her. I also like to be different from others, I'm not what you call "an everyday person" due to my furry-self. :)
Lifes for tax, and taxed for life.. We're just a cog in the machine, a number in a scheme.
Welcome to planet Earth...

Offline vlad

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 12:24:06 pm »
I think, in a way, being furry is a way to set yourself apart from other people while still fitting in. Unlike other social groups, being a furry doesn't have any rules (other than liking anthro animals), political affiliation, or even dress code. Being a furry means you can belong to a group without really giving up anything of yourself.

On a personal level, I'm interested in furry stuff because I'm a therian; but I don't want to spend all my time on spiritual, heavy stuff. In my case, the furry fandom is a way to take a break from dthe heavy, seriousness of the online therian community while still being around people who identify strongly with animals. I should admit here that my offline social skills are pretty lacking, so a message board like this may be my primary means of social interaction.

I guess I like doing that because I feel, deep down inside, that I am a boring person. And that scares the hell out of me. It disgusts me more than anything else, as well. I am a furry for those reasons, I guess.

I think that's a pretty common fear, Delta. A lot of people are pretty average...but I think there's something to be said for having a quiet, normal life. After all, people who have "interesting" lives, like cops in New York City and actors, are always saying they want a normal suburban life.

Offline FoxyFox

• Female
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 03:51:39 pm »
There's more than one reason for me, for becoming a furry.

One, I have an insanely strong connection with animals, all animals.  The other is the fact that I like to be different.  Different is who I am, not just what I am.  Anthro Inquisitor said it a little more poetically than I can. 

Pet's name: Synder
Adopt your own!

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 05:21:10 pm »
I see it as a uniqueness of a sort.  Being able to break through the boundaries of whats socially acceptable or not, and then going off, in the end, being part of more than just "furries", and actually being a part of this sub-culture that we call the fandom.  Having such creative ideas, thoughts, of even such things existing, and then going out, and doing something about it.  Making it true, through music, art, imagination, animation?

Offline Onion

• Kupo!
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 11:25:34 pm »
Furry to me, symbolizes freedom. Freedom of Thought, Expression, And ones self. That of wich is one of the most single important things in this world. With out of wich, we are nothing more then narrow minded dolls.  :)

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 12:17:00 am »
freedom of expression, freedom of self, and ridding the mental sepuration of humans and animals, amungts a bunch of other things : 3

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline leathefurrylion

• was that a mouse!?
  • Female
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:06:36 am »
being furry is freedom to let the animal that giudes most of my thoughts out into the world, the one that likes wearing dog collars and silver cat ears, and claws things at random moents of boredom. its just me being my animalistic self and loving it!
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
Pet's name: Kyra
[url=http://

Offline Aryx

• Fur is a drug best served warm and fuzzy.
  • Male
    • My YouTube Page
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 05:51:54 pm »
Being a furry is freedom. It lets us wear what we want and not be afraid of criticism for it. It lets us befriend each other and form stronger bonds than normal life situations would tend to create. It also lets us relax, and enjoy the art, music, and culture of a fantasy world in which none of us are bound in furless bodies, and to forget, temporarily, all of the fears and worries of life. When fursuiting, or just in the personality of the fursona, one does not need to worry about their job, family problems, diseases, or other stresses that most other people let chew away at their spirits all day everyday.

I had long thought that dreams were the only time that we could escape reality and forget all of our problems, to live peacefully and happily as any form that makes us feel better, for reasons that were not even necessary to explain. But now I see that being a furry is better than a dream, for dreams are carried by a series of chemical reactions in the nerve cells of the brain that tend to produce emotions randomly and simulate semi-physical situations to explain how these feelings could create either a logical or illogical chain of events. When in the mindset or body of one's fursona, the chain of events that will occur will both make physical sense and be real. Instead of looking back on the memory of a good dream, only to wake from that flashback and remember that these things never happened, one may look back upon time enjoyed with friends, things thought, said, and done, and not have the ensuing low of remembering that it was just a dream.

What we do and say are very important, but how we feel as we are doing and saying them is just as important, and if it makes some of us happier to live a life while wearing a tail or ears, then we should do that freely, without regret, and remember that how we feel about ourselves is more important than how our peers feel about us.
FCF3acdr A+ C+ D++++ H+++ M P++++ R+ T++++ W Z+ Sm+ RLA* a- cm+ d++ e+ f++++ h++ iwf+ j+ p++ sm

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 07:07:05 pm »
I've recently taken on a fursona. Without rushing into anything, like I did at first, he was for roleplaying. At some point, I realized that Junyad Thorn Van Bloodmourne represents a scared, and sad side of myself. He sort of..helps me through my real life problems, to a certain point.

Offline Foshling

• Until the end of my stomach's capacity!
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 07:23:51 pm »

One, I have an insanely strong connection with animals, all animals.

Aww! i wish I had such a good bond. at least a magpie came up and let me feed it red rooster (fast food)... well anyway I guess being a furry sybolizes belonging for something for me, since along with a few friends Im basically, for a lack of better terms, an outcast. But for what my fursona symbolizes is...me. I chose everything there is what suits my mind, my personality and my heart. Also what I would wish to be: not just the body but in mind too with the heart of a yoshi fused with the heart-provoked fury of a zergling.
Strengths:
Very loyal
soft heart
trys to have conversations

weaknesses:
Very loyal
soft heart
trys to have conversations

Offline Murkrow

• my second fursona is a Spore Creature! 8D BIRGEE!
  • Female
    • Murkrows Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 12:52:35 am »
it symbolizes freedom of everything for me. living in this world (& body) with its stupid laws is the only constraint; being furry helps relieve that stress.
"If we could sit together a moment and talk forever just to pass the time, I would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine when your eyes are locked on mine. Oh we'll fill the metro skies with country air, and when you close your tired eyes, I'll meet you there.

I'll meet you there." ~ Owl City

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 07:59:04 pm »
A group to belong to and feel I click :3
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 02:00:24 am »
There are a lot of things that have me hooked on the fandom first off I love the art (I'm a horrible furvert) and writing especially since I write a bit of furry stuff myself.

That being said I also feel a spiritual connection to animals. I'm going to be a bit long winded here but I have a story to tell you about myself and my connection to animals.

The summer before my freshman year of college I was returning home from the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) which is a sort of huge park made up of smallish lakes and rivers where no motors are allowed so it is a nice and quiet place to be. On that trip we had gotten the joy of hearing a pack of wolves howling at the moon, an eerie sound that is incredibly beautiful in a natural setting.

Well on the trip home we saw a wolf trotting down the side of the road seeming to say that it was his road. My dad slammed on the breaks just as we passed him or her which ever, so we could take pictures. I just sat there looking into the wolf's eyes and it was seemed to say to me "Hello Brother." I couldn't shake the feeling, I still think about it to this day.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Kr2i

• Male
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 11:03:08 pm »
well to me furry is liking anthropomorphic animals as well as seeing that humans are animals and not very different then other species
Xboxlive: idk1394
PSN: turkey_bone1234

Add me if you want to

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 04:32:16 am »
For me, I think it's a little bit about never growing up.  Sure, I have to navigate the adult world of humans in my daily life...  But, deep inside, I never grew out of looking at animals and pretending they could talk.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Bai

• Female
    • My Furaffinity
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 02:03:42 pm »
Its a hobby for me, but also a life style in some way, it seeps into other parts of your life like other hobbies cannot, I guess I'd call it a subculture. It also has a somewhat spiritual thing for me too, my fursona being a bridge between me and animals and nature. I like the idea its also partly not wanting to grow up, and to stay in those bits of my life where it was all just fun and games. I guess it could be like that for a lot of furs, but that not wanting to grow up my also seep into other areas of themselves, which is a worry. I also feel like I belong in furry, its fun, and partly, its an escape for me from 'real life'.

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 02:54:02 am »
Oh the other thing it is for me is a way to me other interesting people.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug