Author Topic: Reactions to Other Animals/Furries  (Read 13608 times)

Offline Salem

• Male
    • Sal's DeviantArt
Reactions to Other Animals/Furries
« on: March 19, 2009, 03:07:07 pm »
I'll admit it, there are times when I feel like I'm more on the human side of anthropomorphism, mostly because I'm afraid to admit my own furry-ness to others. However, occasionally there are just moments of pure reaction on instinct or reactions to animals that reaffirm the furry mindset.
For example, one day while flicking channels on the TV I came across an Arctic show on dog sled racing, and I legitimately stood up and started cheering on the dogs.
Now, 'humans' would probably not do that on instinct, let alone 'wag' in happiness.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Do you react strangely around animals similar to your fursona?
Are you afraid or don't like animals that your fursona animal doesn't usually like in the wild?
If you think about it... You might be surprised~  :D

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
Re: Reactions to Other Animals/Furries
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 04:17:22 pm »
When I had gone to a natural history museam a while ago and went to the arctic section and saw the stuffed arctic fox, it hit me harder than i thought it would have and much harder than the other displayed animals.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:12:40 pm by Hayaikawa »

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 05:30:31 pm »
Dogs hate me. All of them. As soon as they see me, they'll throw themselves up against the fence trying to get at me. When I used to go trick-or-treating, every dog I saw would immediately jump up and start barking and try to squeeze themselves out the front door so they could maul me where I stood. It was traumatizing.

B-But you guys don't hate me, right?

Offline Hayaikawa

• Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:39:10 pm »

A vegetarian fox hating a rabbit, now that sir is unheard of  (:

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.

Offline Black Foot

• Me in my Wolf form
  • Male
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:59:37 pm »
We don't hate you. When I deliver the newpapers I have dogs come up near the fence and start barking at me, I sometimes feel like I want to bark right back at them and I do but other times I don't since I see folks outside and if they look at me weird then I have no clue what they would say to me so I don't do it when they are out, Even though I'm a wolf so I have no clue unless they smell a cat on me since I'm up against my cat when I'm out at my mother's place over the weekend. I cheer for all the animals I see on TV.
In Memory of Balto the one who saved a dog sled person & his dogs from cold temperatures.

Pets name: SandStorm
Adopt your own!

TO all that lives in the Darkness be proud of it and to those who

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:16:49 pm »
You know, whenever I'm at someone's house where there's a dog or a cat, I end up paying quite a bit of attention to the animal, especially if nobody else is.  I don't want them to feel lonely.  Of course, some people find it strange that I'll just sit in the middle of the floor to play with them, but that's what happens.  :)

As for foxes, I have yet to meet one, sadly.  However, any pictures or videos just leave me in awe; I almost get paralyzed in wonder, to tell the truth.  I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing one in real life.
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Hayaikawa

• Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:33:20 pm »
You know, whenever I'm at someone's house where there's a dog or a cat, I end up paying quite a bit of attention to the animal, especially if nobody else is.  I don't want them to feel lonely.  Of course, some people find it strange that I'll just sit in the middle of the floor to play with them, but that's what happens.  :)

I constantly do that, like even if they keep telling the pet to go sit on the other side of the room or something stupid, i go over to them.
plus i always have our dog on the couch wit us, so I'm always having friends pets sit on the cough with me.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 09:26:32 pm »
We don't hate you. When I deliver the newpapers I have dogs come up near the fence and start barking at me, I sometimes feel like I want to bark right back at them and I do but other times I don't since I see folks outside and if they look at me weird then I have no clue what they would say to me so I don't do it when they are out, Even though I'm a wolf so I have no clue unless they smell a cat on me since I'm up against my cat when I'm out at my mother's place over the weekend. I cheer for all the animals I see on TV.

Hehehe 
When dogs bark at me, I generally just bark back. And, yeah, people do look at me funny then... (:

I growled at my friends dogs the first time they saw me...I swear, they didn't like me, like they knew I was a fox. But they ended up liking me...kinda. :D
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 09:31:21 pm »

Bark! Woof, woof! BARK!  :goldbloody:

:D  :D  :D

Offline Wild_Wolf

• Rawr^^ im a wolf
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:45:43 pm »
arbutus don't worry i dont hate you. heres a hug for you *hug*

Pets name: Eternity
Adopt your own!

rawr^^ im a wolf^^ but im a nice cuddly wolf so please be friends with me^.^

Offline Salem

• Male
    • Sal's DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:13:37 pm »
Dogs hate me. All of them. As soon as they see me, they'll throw themselves up against the fence trying to get at me. When I used to go trick-or-treating, every dog I saw would immediately jump up and start barking and try to squeeze themselves out the front door so they could maul me where I stood. It was traumatizing.

Aww~
Strangely, I've always thought as a human that rabbits were cute...
But...
For some reason my furry side is instinctively agitated by them, though that's easy to bed down~
They're still cute. c:
(Besides, my furry side is a vegetarian anyway~)

Offline Edward Vulpes

• Mmm... Fish-shaped volatile organic compounds.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 08:12:01 am »

The same thing happened to me when I was a wee little fox, but I always had an affinity for cats. Cats absolutely adore me, even those that are normally full of spit and vinegar, as if they know on sight that I'm a kitty's friend.

As for dogs... well, we've never been friends, but I learned how to at least project a confidence that betrays my own distaste for the species that keeps them from rushing at me.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." -Albert Einstein
"Small child, I have fangs and claws. Please let go of my tail." -Moi

Offline D_Bunny

• Male
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 10:18:21 am »
Aside from my own dog, I'd have to agree that dogs simply do not like me. Also know what ya mean with the Trick-or-treating, I made sure to remember what houses had dogs. Never went near them again >>

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 10:39:12 am »

As for foxes, I have yet to meet one, sadly.  However, any pictures or videos just leave me in awe; I almost get paralyzed in wonder, to tell the truth.  I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing one in real life.

I've done this to the point where is actually starts to annoy people. I'll go over to someone's house, and completely ignore them in favor of their pet. Also, I do "meow" at my cat a lot. Sometimes it actually catches her attention to.  :D
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Aurora

• Math skunk approves of this!!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 12:22:13 pm »
When I had gone to a naturao history mueam a while ago and went to the arctic section and saw the stuffed arctic fox, it hit me harder than i thougth it would have and much harder than the other displayed animals.

same here, when iwent to the LNHM (london natuarl history museum) i was creeped out by the stuffed animals and when i saw the fox i almost cryed

well i may be a fox but think of me as one who was raised by rabbits, of course i like you

Sig by Wales's own Baako ^^

previously FurFoxart, now Aurora ^^

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 01:03:44 pm »
I have to admit when I see a barking dog that annoys me or give a challenge bark or growl , I would respond back by assuming and Alpha stance and bare my teeth like " who are you to challenge my Alpha status" I would never do this if the dog is big and in the open.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:47:24 am by Acton »

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 02:55:45 pm »
I would never do this if the dog is big and in the open.

Exactly. After one of my late night jogs 2 years ago ended with me being chased by a pit bull (with the owner not far behind) I tend to shy away from big dogs.  Thank god I'm a fast runner. Part cheetah, after all.  :P
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Vlada Drachulf

• Female
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 05:08:00 pm »
You'd think as many times as I've been attacked by animals I'd be scared but I'm really not(I was darn near mauled by a couple of dogs this couple made into fighting dogs).  I'll be like "AWWWW!! KITTY/PUPPY!" when I'm at someone's house.  And, while most people are scared of big dogs, I'm more scared of the little ones.  They're more unpredictable, IMO.

Offline prettylilpup

• Female
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 11:33:36 pm »

:( that's scary.

Dogs wag their tail, try to approach me in a friendly way. I'm friendly with dogs, and may even bark or act silly around them (who cares who is watching or around?) :P But I don't think that's a furry thing. I just like dogs.

I'm not afraid of any animals. But I do sometimes want to chase squirrels.  :-[

Offline Savaaha

• Female
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 12:47:23 am »
*shrugs* my fursona is half zebra yet I actually like lions.

Offline Ears

• Female
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 09:24:54 pm »

I'm EXACTLY the same way. Whenever my bf takes me to his friend's houses to hang out or party, I pay attention to their animals. I get very nervous in social situtations, and interacting with their animals is much more relaxing and less threatening.
<br />Pets name: Ambrosia<br />Adopt your own!

Offline Bluetabbycat

• Species: Generic tabby cat
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 12:11:52 am »
When I had gone to a naturao history mueam a while ago and went to the arctic section and saw the stuffed arctic fox, it hit me harder than i thougth it would have and much harder than the other displayed animals.

same here, when iwent to the LNHM (london natuarl history museum) i was creeped out by the stuffed animals and when i saw the fox i almost cryed

I know what you mean. I havn't really been to see any stuffed animal exhibitions for a very long time (I don't like them very much - they always look so lifeless and dusty), but I have ben to several zoos in the past few years. Where as I do like to see animals, I hate to see them locked in enclosures, even if they're big ones. When I was visiting a zoo in Spain last year I remember seeing some kind of big cat (it was kind of like a leopard, but it was smaller and grey with bigger spots) and it was crouching next to the fence staring at some wierd bird thing that was walking about not ten feet away from it... I could feel it's fustration! And another time when I was at Nuremburg zoo in Germany when I was 16, and we went to see the lions in their indoor enclosures - and suddenly I was overcome with emotion and wanted to cry and set them free.... For some reason seeing felines imprisoned bothers me a lot more than seeing other species in cages... :(

@Arbutus: I don't hate you! I just want to hunt you! :goldbloody:

Only joking! 8) :)

Offline Leon the Coyote

• Male
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 12:31:01 am »
If i see an animal I'm always bound to react in a positive and inquisitive manner. I've always had some kind of animal magnitism as most times i get near any animal the seems to always become friendly towards me regardless of how they normally act around other strangers. So over all my reaction to animals is very positive and my sympathies always go to the animal faster then the human. I remember crying my eyes out when i found out a local Coyote den was Exterminated because they decided to go out rooting in some unsecured trash and scared someones family/kid.

My natural love of animals and life itself has however prevented me from one of my first ideas at a job. (I currently wish to become an EMT. Just gotta head to school Which will take time in my current position). There is absolutely no way on earth i could ever become a vet. Even the thought of having an animal die in my care even though i cant help it or having the Euthanize an animal brings me to tears...I can imagine breaking down for hours if i ever had to suffer through either of those.

As for a reaction to other Furries. It's usually unbridaled joy. Where i live i actually dont know any furries...to my knowlage i am the only furry in my area. But if i come across another furry through various online games. I usualy try to engage that person in a long conversation asking about anything that furries would share without becoming somewhat creepy
Some people wear a Fursuit on special occasions...I wear normal clothes on Special occasions

Offline Lunara_Lioness

• A Lioness who's also a Parrot.
  • Female
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 11:48:40 pm »
I am a lioness, but I love ALL animals. That's right.

I do have favourites (birds and felines), but all of them are more than welcome around me. I miss my little rat terrier, she's living with my parents.  :'(
Happily mated to my English Lion, Wardy. <3

Offline Aleya Lunara

• Fallen from the heavens.
  • Female
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 08:48:56 pm »
I feel sad whenever any animal is harmed via human causes. It makes me upset, and I tear up or even cry upon watching/hearing about anything like that. :'( Although my favorites are felines, and of course wolves.
"To those who understand, I extend my hand. To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am. Not under your command, I know where I stand. I won't change to fit your plan, take me as I am..." -Dream Theater