Author Topic: How has furry changed you?  (Read 28315 times)

Offline Kivva

• The road to success is always under construction.
  • Female
    • Kivva's Den: The Furry Art of Kivva
Re: How has furry changed you?
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 12:37:35 pm »
Personally, as far as my personality, I am unchanged.

Socially, however, I am more outgoing, and happier. Also, The fandom has opened up many doors for me as far as helping others... I love being able to lend a helping hand.

One thing about the fandom that has me hooked is the first personal exchanges, example:

Fur1: Hi!
Fur2: Hello!
Fur1: It's cool to meet other furs. I'm a wolf. What is your fursona?
Fur2: Oh, nice! I'm a lion.
Fur1: Lions are awesome. So what kind of music do you like?
Fur2: I'm in a band! I'm into....
*poof!* Instant friends.

Awesome.

When I flew down to meet up with Kos, and I got to meet Jarekojosh, Rika, Celta, Savaaha, Tak, Cobalt, WhiteSheperd, oh gosh and more.... I got there knowing I had one friend full of awesome and win, but to leave feeling like I had like 12 more friends was so awesome!!!

Offline NibblesNutkins

• Male
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 12:41:12 am »
It started to change me at 1st, and as soon as I realized that I took steps to rectify it.

In no way shape or form should it change you, at least not drastically.

Offline Keryth

• I challenge you to a battle of knives!
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 01:58:36 pm »
Hmm, how has furry changed me, let me look way back . . . .

Originally, I formulated anthros on my own in my own mind, giving me at least something to think was cool, when I was very young. Looking back, being a furry really didnt help me at all. It led me to being an outcast, beyond outcast so much that I didnt even need to make myself look like one, I just was, like it was supposed to be. But if I wasn't furry I see that I would have become a more destructive and angry young kid. Being furry changed me socially too, leading me to see very well that no matter what, were all still people, and people suck, and less annoying people meant less annoying problems. So it led me to befriending only weird people, weird in our own formula of weird, but of course me being furry was suspiciously looked upon by my friends, until it led me to thinking out what I really think of furry, giving me even more respect amongst my friends, and giving my friends unintentionally less respect for anyone else in the fandom besides me. En Masse, being furry made me personally stronger, and it made me even more insane, and original, and a deeper thinker. Of course though I keep me being a furry secret from EVERYONE besides my friends.
Its all moved to here: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/keryth/
Ya know, me being here has a inevitable sense of irony since truthfully, I am not a furry.
I challenge you to a battle of knives!

Offline Wolvenblaze

• Three if by Arwing
  • Male
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 07:46:16 pm »
I'd always been a furry without knowing it (until 2 years ago upon discovering the fandom).  Being my wolf-self allowed me to become more open and confident.  Recently, in these 2 years, I've become more of an emotional person as a result of my furriness, and my ever-opening mind.  I used to be a cold, cynical person, but now I find myself crying through even moderately sad movies (still cynical, though!  (:)
"Don't forget to cash all your checks before you legally change your name" ~ Me

"A winner is a person who's present when someone loses." ~ also Me

"The only room for these goods in the city is right here in my cart!" ~ Deliveryman from Zeus

Offline Keryth

• Male
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 12:18:10 am »
Then we sir, are quite opposite. Furry caused me to grow darker, not in a bad sense, once again I cant find a way to word myself . . .
Ya know, me being here has a inevitable sense of irony since truthfully, I am not a furry.

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 09:41:56 pm »
Then we sir, are quite opposite. Furry caused me to grow darker, not in a bad sense, once again I cant find a way to word myself . . .

Maybe you can give examples?

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 03:01:25 am »
Motivation.

Sense i joined the fandom i have found myself motivated to do more artistic things,   to roleplay more,  to write,   I even quit WoW which was costing me more money than i should have been spending.   Now I’m trying to make a fursuit with the excess time and money I got from quitting WoW...  I've also gained understanding in a lot of things.   I've become more tolerant of people themselves (although my political views remain the same) And I’ve noticed that I understand things about people that i didn't before,   just from lack of dealing with certain kinds of people..  hehe,    I have to say it's been a good change.  Odd,   how something looked upon by so many negatively has had a positive impact on my life.

Offline T-Fox

• Rock Your Life Away.
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 03:31:48 pm »
It cured my Homophobia. (I was raised in a Religious Household. Only thing was, my parents aren't good Christians. I have nothing against Christianity at all, infact I do follow most of the standards set forth. They were the kind that used religion as a basis for Racism, Sexism, Anti-Semitisim, and Homophobia.)

It made me even more of an open-minded Individual.

I found my Mate because of Furry.

I've made so many incredible friends due to it.
Please Click on my Dragons! They need love too! ^^<br />

Offline Keryth

• Male
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 02:12:49 pm »

Maybe you can give examples?
Sure, uuh . . .

-Made me dislike a lot of people
-Made me a lot less of a "softer" person
-Helped me realize how stupid a lot of people are
-Helped me realize its better to stay silent, or at least until a good opportunity arrives.

I dont know about a lot of you people, but furry didnt cause me to gain any friends, not that it matters to me anyway, just interesting how everyone seemed to have gotten friends out of being a furry, and good for you. Ive always considered that I was never really the same as anyone else in the fandom, which still doesnt seem far from the truth, as far as i've seen, but I might be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:15:01 pm by Keryth »

Offline Wolvenblaze

• Three if by Arwing
  • Male
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 08:35:28 pm »
Sure, uuh . . .

-Helped me realize its better to stay silent, or at least until a good opportunity arrives.

I dont know about a lot of you people, but furry didnt cause me to gain any friends, not that it matters to me anyway, just interesting how everyone seemed to have gotten friends out of being a furry, and good for you. Ive always considered that I was never really the same as anyone else in the fandom, which still doesnt seem far from the truth, as far as i've seen, but I might be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Maybe hangin' around us more will help you warm up to people.  I'm sure a parade of hugs will change you for the better! *hugs tightly*  C'mon, who's with me!?

Anyway, there are a lot of closed-minded people in the world, but not as many as you would think.  I had a friend who seemed just like one of those "stupid" people (even though he was actually really intelligent).  He, like many others, believed that furry was what it was NOT, and condemned the fandom.  But a month ago I had a really long discussion with him about furries, and he was fascinated and enlightened by it.  So many of the stupid people out there aren't stupid, just misinformed.  (And I'm not forgetting about the regular stupid people unrelated to furry; they're just punks who need some serious life adjustment  :P)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:45:33 pm by Wolvenblaze »

"The only room for these goods in the city is right here in my cart!" ~ Deliveryman from Zeus

Offline Keryth

• Male
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 10:51:24 pm »
Sure, uuh . . .

Maybe hangin' around us more will help you warm up to people.  I'm sure a parade of hugs will change you for the better! *hugs tightly*  C'mon, who's with me!?

Anyway, thereare a lot of closed-minded people in the world, but not as many as you would think.  I had a friend who seemed just like one of those "stupid" people (even though he was actually really intelligent).  He, like many others, believed that furry was what it was NOT, and condemned the fandom.  But a month ago I had a really long discussion with him about furries, and he was fascinated and enlightened by it.  So many of the stupid people out there aren't stupid, just misinformed.  (And I'm not forgetting about the regular stupid people unrelated to furry; they're just punks who need some serious life adjustment  :P)

Aw geez, hugs, thats what I was afraid of.

As for closed minded folks on furry, I was able to convince my friends about furry on my own part and opinion, im sure I can do it to others, but its doubtable knowing a lot of ridiculously ignorant people. But when I said stupid, i meant people who are just too stupid, ignorant, or completely oblivious beyond their own good, in a deliberate fashion thats all on their part. but yea people closed-minded about furry fit right into that category.

Offline PinkPlushii

• Call me Kaci! :D
  • Female
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 10:57:14 pm »
I feel it sounds so ridiculous to say that furry has changed who I am as a person, but I think it has changed me for the better. Furry has allowed me to get back into art. Because I'm not good at describing myself in words, if I ever wanted an accurate reference for my fursona, I'd have to draw one myself, and that folks, is how I got back into art. So I guess you can say it made me a more artistic person. Furry has also introduced me to spirituality and meditation. Ever since I started studying totem animals and analyzing why I'm the fursona I am, I've learned so much about myself.

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 11:30:39 pm »
Since i found the fandom, i lost my 10+ year videogame obsession, without actually wanting or trying to. Now i spend all my time "playing hair metal and hanging out on furry forums, talking to a writer who thinks he's a bird who thinks that he's a kitsune." (quoting tachyon, taken slightly out of context, but still true) Seriously though, im a LOT more open minded, a lot more artistic (musically, anyways), and have realised that i don't like the whole emo scene in the UK.

Although, posting in the word games on furtopia could've easily caused me to fail my GCSEs. Thankfully, it didn't

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 12:43:59 am »
I suppose you could still call me the open-minded, video-game addicted, same old person I was before. But furry showed me back to one of my old, thrown out dreams: Making costumes and sewing! :D
I remember loving halloween, and always wanting to spend a large amount of time on my costume, trying to be creative, either way some of the best moments I can remember were from wearing costumes. And back, from around 7-9 years ago, I was really into sewing (making cheap little things, like a hot pad (with cool color designs :P), or a rug (was a "set", where you apply fibers to the mat)). I dumped sewing because I didn't deem it a "manly" thing to do, and didn't want people getting wrong impressions of me. I'm so happy that I've finally re-found something I really enjoy! :D

And I no longer care if people know I sew, most of the time people are rather impressed by it. :-[

On the other hand, I spend probably more time reading forums while I should be asleep.
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Wolvenblaze

• Three if by Arwing
  • Male
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 11:51:22 pm »
On the other hand, I spend probably more time reading forums while I should be asleep.

Same here, same here!  But furry as also had a positive and unintended side effect on me.  Because I've become such a procrastinate-fur, I've developed very effective cramming techniques for tests and assignments.  This has allowed me to have more time for my furry/personal pursuits.

Offline Anthro_Inquisitor

• What is feared is not what is evil.
  • Male
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:15 pm »

I also had this effect. Before I became/realized I was a furry, I was a talkative outgoing person who loved helping everyone. Since becoming a furry over the course of three years i've become bitter, distant, hateful, and for the most part unlikeable. Most of my time is spent obsessing of imaginary worlds of my creation (with furries) or doing extra calculus work for entertainment(yes I know they are unrelated, but it depends on my mood).

I've grown completely distant... almost nonexsistant with my family, I quit my religion due to anti-furry propaganda in it...

I also grew to having a nasty habit of giving the cold shoulder to anyone who shows bias to a specific group of people, and giving very forceful judgments on people I've never seen; before I even speak to them.

I don't know if its just because of the fandom (not specifically, I was distant with other furs until recently) I'm like this. But I'll never forget the day it changed who I was, since it literally was a shock i felt for awhile. (well, in a more realistic sense... I found out about it, thought about it, and became very distant for about a week before I recovered)

Offline Wolvenblaze

• Three if by Arwing
  • Male
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 12:49:40 am »
I also had this effect.

Hmm . . . it was good that you quit your religion if it condemned what you believed in, but you need to realize one thing.  Even though furries are some of the least biased people, and in comparison the rest of society seems racist, their values and views should still be considered and not shunned or discarded.  This goes for anyone who feels any animosity toward "hy00mans."  There are still plenty of acceptable mundanes that offer an ample amount of coolness to society.  And variety in life is very important to your social and psychological health.

Everyone judges everyone else (and yes, these judgments can get pretty harsh, whether you be on the judging or the receiving end); but that's just a part of human nature.  If you can get past that, you can reach out to other people and think positively of them.

As for hating reality (which seems like one root of your issue, but I don't want to assume), that's why so many of us are artists and fiction writers -- so we can "live" in a different world from time to time, which makes life in this world bearable and often exciting.

I know I sound very preachy, and you probably don't care that you've changed, and will disregard this advice, but It's never a good thing to be in such a misanthropic and distant state.  It could easily spiral into depression, stress-related diseases, everyone hating you, or worse.  It's just a warning from a fellow furry who also went through a period of depression and detachment, however short. *comforting shoulder touch*

• Male
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 08:34:50 pm »
I know I sound very preachy, and you probably don't care that you've changed, and will disregard this advice, but It's never a good thing to be in such a misanthropic and distant state.  It could easily spiral into depression, stress-related diseases, everyone hating you, or worse.  It's just a warning from a fellow furry who also went through a period of depression and detachment, however short. *comforting shoulder touch*

I was a bit tired when I wrote that, however it is true for the most part; yet does have its benefits. When it comes to the workplace I do my job and usually don't socialize with others, which almost always gives a great reference. In my classes my teachers are very thankful for my high level of cooperation and the time I spend helping other people. I'm not afraid and don't mind helping others (as long as they don't give me any lip when i give any form of aid... reasonable rejection or a possible reason not to ignore me I understand however), its just that I rarely connect to anyone. And you are, for the most part, correct that my disgust for reality is the root of most of my problem; however its also an escape as well. I'm not depressed over it, not to say I wasn't before, however Its merely a very powerful method of removing myself from the world around me.

That, and no offense to any humans out there... but they kinda all look.... the same. Dull, Boring, Muddled. Same with 'most' of their personalities...
And thats another reason why I love the furry fandom (with the exception with a few stereotypical children who have a nasty habit of inducing complete disgust when at a young age they are using the fandom as an excuse for illegal acts they do online) is that people here are unpredictable... different, and for the most part trustworthy   (: .

Not saying furries are perfect... its just they yield a much higher percentage than most groups.

Offline Wolvenblaze

• Three if by Arwing
  • Male
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 10:07:47 pm »
Not saying furries are perfect... its just they yield a much higher percentage than most groups.

Yup, yup!  I agree with that!  And I guess everyone is entitled to their own methods of living (a furry mantra in itself), as long as they're fully content with it.  Well, good speed to you and may the wind be at your back!

• Male
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 10:14:59 pm »
and may the wind be at your back!

Thats my good-bye phrase... I use it all the time o.O.

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2008, 10:41:44 pm »
Being a furry has opened my up to acting more like my self and not how people expect me to act. I think its messed up that alot of the stuff we do as young kids is WRONG. I think its jus who you are and you should embrace that.

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

• Male
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2008, 11:07:57 pm »
I think its jus who you are and you should embrace that.

the 'Who you are' phrase is very overused in a bad manner... if I were to severely hurt someone because its 'who I am'  I could use that as an excuse.

Many people use that as an excuse for just about every flaw in their personality without actually giving a decent explanation as to why they are like that.

Its just who you are... until someone is hurt, then its a problem =P

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2008, 11:21:42 pm »
I think its jus who you are and you should embrace that.

the 'Who you are' phrase is very overused in a bad manner... if I were to severely hurt someone because its 'who I am'  I could use that as an excuse.

Many people use that as an excuse for just about every flaw in their personality without actually giving a decent explanation as to why they are like that.

Its just who you are... until someone is hurt, then its a problem =P

well i didnt mean it like that...

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Fen-Fen

• lol u mad?
  • Female
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2008, 12:14:13 am »
Furry has has a lot of good points and a lot of bad points for me. On the good side, I found my fiance and made wonderful friends along the way. I have gotten to know many artists whose styles I would know nothing of if I hadn't decided to join this fandom. I've acquired a handful of close friends, friends who I know have my back and give me a shoulder to cry on when I need it (Kivva~) . My artistic style has definitely improved since I've broken away from my drab, old "anime style" and made a style all my own which has influences of many manga authors and anthro artists.

On the bad said, I have met a large amount of stupid and (surprisingly) intolerant moods while in the fandom. Heck, I left a chatroom because I was constantly made fun of for being a girl by the gay furries (which helped me develop a bit of homophobia) who inhabited the chatroom. Along with myself, my friend from that chatroom left for the same reasons (as well as other personal reasons) because of the chatroom. As with any fandom, I see a lot of elitism and drama-making.
And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom,
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I’ve never known the lovin' of a man,
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand.

• Male
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2008, 07:18:15 am »
well i didnt mean it like that...

I know you didn't, its just I was pointing out an issue of some people who use that phrase badly. I probably should have said that.