Poll

Why do you dislike or not believe?

Don't believe a "higher power/deity" exists.
24 (13.1%)
Do not believe the person known as Jesus Christ or "Jesus of Nazareth" existed.
10 (5.5%)
Do not believe in Heaven/Hell/Reincarnation, etc.
20 (10.9%)
Religious people and religious denominations are "too preachy".
24 (13.1%)
Religions try to "brainwash/indoctrinate" you.
23 (12.6%)
There's not a religion I like or feel comfortable with.
17 (9.3%)
I hate religion because my parents forced me to go to services.
6 (3.3%)
I don't believe in the Bible and all it's history, teachings, etc.
15 (8.2%)
There's no "proof" that God, etc. exists, therefor, I don't believe in anything.
25 (13.7%)
Other reason for disliking religion and/or not believeing. Please explain.
19 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Why the dislike of religion?  (Read 6972 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Why the dislike of religion?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:16:24 pm »
Why is it that so many people dislike religion and/or do not believe? What are your reasons for not believeing in God, Not going to church, etc.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Why the dislike of religion?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:22:32 pm »
I don't believe in any god or higher power, but I don't dislike religion. I went to a Christian primary school and a Catholic secondary school, but despite that, being told God existed was like being told cows could fly. It just didn't strike as true in my head. I tried to believe, I actually tried. But it isn't something you can force, really.

I dislike some religious people, who try and shove their opinions on others. But then I dislike when atheists do that, so that is more to do with disliking the individual than disliking the religion.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:12:59 am »
well i dont have a religion but i have my own custom made, personalized way that i feel the universe works.

it is simple it has 1 thing which only a few sub rules about it

MAIN: every time something good happens, something bad will, or vice versa

• 1: they do not have to be equal (IE get in a car accident then see a rainbow
  • 2: they do not have to be right after another ( can be a space between events)
  • 3: that's basically it

but i also love science so i also believe in the multiverse and all that. and i also believe that the human mind is just a biological supercomputer. and that what makes "you" you is just events hat shaped you. and DNA is a blueprint for the hardware of said computer. so that hypothetically you could transfer the "software"(your mind) to another body which would
  • 1: give you the ability to live forever
  • 2: swap your body for any other that you so desire ( including robotic or anthro and if you are extreme you could be a space ship, like a cylon raider*)

* cylon raider: a living strike fighter with a biological brain and life support with a hard metal shell

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Nyeti

• the "frigglebiscuit" approves!
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:16:34 am »
im the exact same way as korvre.i just dont like it when some religious people try to shove their ideal down my throat and tell me what im doing is wrong,and that goes for anyone,even atheists.
i really have a crazy thing for orange juice...and apples o.o

Offline WereCat

• Male
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 01:07:48 am »
I have no problem whatsoever with religion, really.  It's only when people twist it to try to justify bigotry & hatred that I have a serious problem, but in those cases, it's the individual person I have a problem with, not whatever religion they believe in.  I wouldn't paint an entire group with the same brush just because a few of it's members are bad people.

I don't consider myself a religious or spiritual person at all, but I don't really think I'd call myself an atheist, either... agnostic, I guess I am.
Mate of Furenzied

I haz an FA now: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/werecat01/

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:41:24 am »
I dislike religion because of it's scientifically destructive nature, like when the Dark Ages occured. I only dislike the leaders, nutjobs, and zealots, but as long as you aren't a blind tool for your faith and have a mind of your own, I'm fine with it ^.^
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:17 am »
the extremists every religion has them
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:43:24 am »
I don't dislike religion, But I feel that being religious is not actually someones choice if they are raised that way. They weren't allowed to make the choice themselves, That's not to say they can't make the choice later in life.
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Plantan

• Species: The only Collie, Sugar Glider, Raccoon Hybrid
  • The sun is gone, but I have a light.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:34:06 pm »
I don't dislike religion but Religions in general make me uncomfortable and idk why....
Inactive Here- Add me on Discord if you knew me in my active years on the forum :) - plantan0615

Offline flatout442

• Male
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:56:06 pm »
I am a devout Catholic, but what I don't like are the televangelists they're annoying and give Christians a bad image.
One simply does not exist without bacon.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:29 pm »
Ironically, while i'm nonreligious, i didn't select any of the choices.  I don't mind them, and i don't challenge their beliefs.  that doesn't mean i don't agree with them, but i'm very tolerant of religions.  Whatever makes ya happy ya know, just like this fandom is for a lot of us.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 01:30:53 am »
The default position for -any- claim is to withhold belief until there is sufficient evidence to justify it.  Religions lack sufficient evidence (in fact, their so called evidence is exceedingly weak.) Therefore, I do not believe their claims.  However, that does not mean I hate or dislike religious people. I just think they are wrong.

While I do tend to be hostile towards religion, it's not so much religion that I dislike, but the dogma of it. The idea that you are suppose to believe something without question is a very dangerous idea. Similarly, the idea that faith is a virtue is insidious. Believing something when you don't have sufficient evidence is NOT virtuous; it shortcuts rational thinking and allows people to believe nonsensical often harmful things.

Offline Furenzied

• Species: Husky/Border Collie
  • kitty ♥ :3
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 01:45:46 am »
I don't like the idea that all people are born evil and need help from a higher power to become good. I just don't buy it. I think it's your job to better yourself. Plain and simple.
Mate of WereCat

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 02:17:55 am »
i don't believe in god or any religion. but i don't annoy/bother people about what they believe in. i just don't understand why people believe in it. if there was a god and he loves every one and forgives every one then what is with all the pain and suffering in the world?
if he is so powerful why would he make people like me who wished they were a furry before they even knew about furries and not let them be one? 

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 01:14:28 pm »
The problem I have isn't with religion, but with some of those who preach it. Over the
centuries many people have used religion as a buisness, create a fancy lifestye. or a
way to control people. It's not as easy to spot them as one might think, because mind
control is their business.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 01:08:32 pm »
I don't think religion and science can't co-exist with some people, and personally, I'm not completely against spirituality and religion, nor am I against religion in itself. If you're happy with your beliefs, that's good enough for me, whichever side you stand on. However, EXTREMISM, on both sides, just like extremism in anything, politics, furry, other fandoms, religions, etc. Is never a good thing. I don't like extremist atheists, I don't like extremist baptists etc. Being open and/or understanding or accepting of why someone else might like or believe something that you don't is important. We can't all like and believe the same things or life would be boring, so I think there's a place for all sorts of other speculations and beliefs, as far-fetched as some might be, even if anyone or myself else don't personally believe in them.

Offline Acheron187

• Hooves rock!
  • Male
    • MLP Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 01:13:53 pm »
I am spiritual, I believe in god and the whole nine yards. I think that the church has just lost touch as all, they're preaching hate and not allowing reasonable thinking. They should be preaching the idea of love and acceptance, I may be Christian but I support all the things they say are apparrently "evil". I also understand science and it major role in our existence, if I'm anything it's not close minded. Jesus preached love, and that's how I live my life.

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 04:35:39 pm »
I am not agnostic or atheist or opposed to any one religion. I'm actually a Christian.

My biggest problem with any kind of organized religion though is when people emphasize judging and feeling superior to other people. The correct path, in my opinion, is to simply be good to others no matter what their own beliefs are and to not be too quick to judge. In fact, in the New Testament book of James, pure "religion" that God accepts is described not as a bunch of rules and rituals, but as simply being good to others and helping those in need and not being selfish or hypocritical in any way.

Also, children should have total freedom of religion and without having to worry about how their own family will treat them.

Offline bkatt500

• Female
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 03:55:29 am »
I wouldn't say I necessarily hate religion, or even dislike it, I just have no reason to participate.  Rituals make me feel ridiculous, and I just can't attribute things to supernatural forces.  I do dislike certain branches of certain religions and I think some people take it way too far and much too seriously.
<a href=http://bkatt500.deviantart.com/>Check me out on deviantArt!</a>

Offline Mu Rho Ni

• Male
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 09:05:57 pm »
 I hate the extremists of any religion. I wouldn't say i don't believe a god could exist but show me the proof, the real, tested proof, and I'll roll with it. but until then stop being so preachy. 
Great men are forged in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. (The real 9th doctor)

Though the morrow is barren of promise ,nothing shall forestall my return. (Genesis FFVII crisis core)

Sir Macaroni. Master of the universe by day. Door to door macaroni salesman by night.

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 04:07:03 am »
If there is a god, religion only serves to get betwee you and that god.  Ir's little more than a primative from of social controll, "Fallow what we claim are the laws of god or you'll burn in hell for ever."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:29:16 am by Avor »

Offline Mu Rho Ni

• Male
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 03:01:53 am »
"Fallow what we claim are the laws of god or you'll burn in hell for ever."
i was brought up in a baptist church and let me tell you there was a whole heck of a lot of that going around. "oh you like video games?" yeah. " YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" "you like sci-fi?" yeah. "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" " do you think gays are the scourge of the nation?"  no. "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" and that's why all religion is crap in my eyes because all of them are a different variation of that. its all just one big excuse to discriminate. "oh you don't believe everything exactly the way i do?" no. enjoy your stay in hell."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:16:06 pm by Mu Rho Ni »
Great men are forged in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. (The real 9th doctor)

Though the morrow is barren of promise ,nothing shall forestall my return. (Genesis FFVII crisis core)

Sir Macaroni. Master of the universe by day. Door to door macaroni salesman by night.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:12 am »
"Fallow what we claim are the laws of god or you'll burn in hell for ever."
i was brought up in a baptist church and let me tell you there was a whole heck of a lot of that going around. "oh you like video games?" yeah. " YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" "you like sci-fi?" yeah. "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" " do you think gays are the scourge of the nation?"  no. "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" and that's why all religion is crap in my eyes because all of them are a different variation of that. its all just one big excuse to discriminate. "oh you don't believe everything exactly the way i do?" no "GTFO! enjoy your stay in hell."

Sometimes, I tend to think the only reason people say "You're going to hell!" is that they use it as a scare tactic to get other people to see the error of their ways and try to convert them to the other religious person's rightsious cause.  :P

Offline KitKatPurrpurr

• Species: Deer, jaguar
  • Jagdeer
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »
I just don't know. That's it. No one really knows. You can't know, maybe not even when you're dead. I just know what now is, what is happening to me now and what the world is like, as well as whatever recorded history we have. And that's what's important.

I just know that I'm here now, and whatever happened, happened.

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 01:26:39 pm »
Religion for me just doesn't seem practical to me, and even if there was a mystical power trying to guide us to the path of righteousness it's long since given up. First off because of the whole, my religions better then yours effect which is very noticeable especially in southern baptist (I live in the bible belt), where even if you believed in the same exact thing, but it just had a different name, they'd condemn you to burn to hell for the rest of eternity and would gladly tie you atop the pyre, all the while thinking there doing a good deed in the name of there god. That's one of the problems i have with religion but it's not the biggest, the biggest problem, is the bible, and how many times it's been edited, yet people still act like so in so 2,000 years ago wrote it down, exactly like it was written in there King James bible... who did a pretty large amount of editing, just picking on King James edition because it's probably the most well known edit... However getting back on track, even with small things such as translating it to a new language, stuff is still lost and edited, not out of any ulterior motives, but instead just simply because your trying to translate something that is metaphorical, that scribe would have had to try and interpret what was written and then make the translation. I have other reasons for why I disagree with religion such as the fact that there are about 3,000 different flavors Christianity how can all of them be right... Now while I say "Problem with religion", I really mean problem with Christian based religions because, I don't really know anything about Islam, Hindu, Tao, Etc. so I can't really say that much them that and they aren't really prominent in the country or at least where I am so I guess they fly under the radar more for me... that and they don't pop out of every dark corner ready to smack you with a bible as if they where a major league batter >w>
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru