Author Topic: Clothes?  (Read 7788 times)

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
Clothes?
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:23:57 am »
I was just reading a section about furniture but how would real anthros design clothes? If you were a fox,dog,cat,ect. You would need to have something for your tail. :)

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
Re: Clothes?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:26:33 am »
Actually, digitigrade shoes have been my design question...  :D
Doesn't apply to all styles of furries though; there are the plantigrade type who can use standard shoes as we know them
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:12:06 am »
i've seen a lot of artists, have a croth zipper/button in the back, but with out the zipper.

=====EEE@======
|          /  \           |
|         (    )          |
|          \_/            |
|           / \           |
|          |   |          |
|          |   |          |

^like this

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:41:00 am »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:58:23 pm by Kada-Ru »

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:26:10 pm »
I guess it depends on what sort of life said fur leads, and what type of world he or she lives in. If he/she lives in a forest, with not much contact with others, I don't see why he/she would need clothes.

I guess if the world is like ours, they'd probably wear clothes, because we do.

On the other hand, my fursona, Junyad Van Bloodmourne, was brought from earth (as a human) to a different world, and most furs there DO wear clothes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:29:25 pm by Shim »

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:55:27 pm »
Oh, well if we're talking about what our fursonas wear, Avan just has a cape. Because capes are awesome. Well, for more formal meetings with human diplomats, he & the other class-alpha & beta directors all have division uniforms.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline LordFenrir

• Artist. Writer. Hack/fraud.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:05:55 pm »
The furs in The Shadow of the Dog Lord all have holes for their tails in the back of their pants/skirts/robes.  The holes are just big enough to squeeze the tail through, so the risk of being, ah, indecent are reduced greatly.  I've also toyed with the idea of putting armor plates hanging down from the belt or backplate of a curiass, but since I haven't given full plate armor to any culture yet, this idea has not been expanded to the state I'd like.

They also (the civilized ones at least) wear tall buccaneer style boots that are made of a softened leather, so they can bend when the digigrade foot moves.

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:29:37 am »
One of the races I designed for a non-furry world but which has one furry race wear nothing but belts and other straps to hang stuff from. Other than that because of their heritage even the toughest weather means nothing to them, even at -100 they would be perfectly fine.

Degigrade feet comes down to sandals to protect the the pads of the feet from sharp objects. Some human runners wear something similar in order to run as normally as we evolved to. With hoofers a friend of mine writes as horses and the like sometimes wearing rubber padding on the bottom of their hoofs to provide both traction on certain surfaces as well as to keep from scratching flooring.

as for general clothing it really depends on the author for graphic pictures I'm used to seeing pants with buttons or ties that go over the tail, and slits in dresses for the same purpose.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline TashkentFox

• Weird British Vulpine
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 01:09:40 pm »
In the world I created trousers have a second set of flys at the back and all jackets have a vent in the rear, problem solved.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 10:09:29 pm »
I like the idea of making a "sleeve" that adjusts to the tail so as if to poke it out.
There's some who just make a hole in the pants and some who put buckles, belts, and some other weird things...
To be honest, if that doesn't directly affect my area of work (my stories) I try to veer clear of certain explanations. X3
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 06:15:03 am »
While it doesn't need to be explained as Serra points out since as many people say in regards to Sci-Fi, an author of fiction that takes place in the real world isn't going to explain how a car works so why should a sci-fi author sit down and explain how a star drive works in their world? However since in some fiction authors will describe people getting dressed, by saying things such as they were talking while buttoning up their shirt, or something similar you can easily slip in something regarding the way a tail is accommodated by clothing, all that needs to be said was that a character buttoned their pants over the tail just as he was walking out the door. It's brief and it gives the reader a more in depth picture of the world you are writing in just a few short words.

Offline Bai

• Female
    • My Furaffinity
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 03:04:50 pm »
Holes in pants for small tails, you'd need like a strap/belt for bigger more unruly tails. Hats with holes in for ears. Having massive horns, like a ram, it'd be really hard to wear hats D: Unless they were small and fitted between the horns.

Offline LordFenrir

• Artist. Writer. Hack/fraud.
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 03:25:31 pm »
Ah, ears are fun as well.  I usually just make hats cause the ears to fold down.  As for helmets on suits of armor, I tend on making tall simple helmets that are tall enough to fit over the ears :)

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 04:20:27 pm »
If there is a fastener in back to accommodate a tail, would it be necessary to have another set in front?  Undoing the tail-end fastener would loosen the waistline for putting on/removing pants or whatever.

My sci-fi setting has anthros wearing clothes partly because it's social convention (they're trying to fit in with humans) and partly for practical reasons (spacesuits!).

As far as hats are concerned, I would think that hearing would be considered a major sense for anthros (maybe as much as sight) so they wouldn't want to dull that sense too much.  I'm not sure what planet-side head fashion might be, but I like the idea of specially-designed space helmets to accommodate the ears (and muzzle, of course... but that's obvious).  The audio equipment would be designed to have directional sound to work with anthro physiology.

End of random thoughts. :D
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »
As far as hats are concerned, I would think that hearing would be considered a major sense for anthros (maybe as much as sight) so they wouldn't want to dull that sense too much. 

Hats tend to work pretty well for anthros, depending on the species, and style of hat. I've always been a fan of the Rabbit-Tophat

(Credits to Dave Hopkins, of course.)

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 06:56:39 pm »
Having massive horns, like a ram, it'd be really hard to wear hats D: Unless they were small and fitted between the horns.

Take a look at how Isambaard does it. :D http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4501024/

(By the way, how awesome is this picture??)

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 05:17:59 pm »
Maybe furs would develop a different taste of fashion considering their bodily limitations and advantages?
I think, for example, some winged furs (such as myself) would like to decorate their wings with some light-weight shiny things, or paint them patterns so that when you spread them they would shine off! <3
Maybe horned people could carve something into them, or into shapes.
And what about aquatic furs with fins? Maybe they could pierce them! X3
And us with fur patterns could use fur dye and paint some stripes or spots in different colors!
The possibilities boggle the mind <3

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 04:08:23 am »
Maybe furs would develop a different taste of fashion considering their bodily limitations and advantages?
I think, for example, some winged furs (such as myself) would like to decorate their wings with some light-weight shiny things, or paint them patterns so that when you spread them they would shine off! <3
Maybe horned people could carve something into them, or into shapes.
And what about aquatic furs with fins? Maybe they could pierce them! X3
And us with fur patterns could use fur dye and paint some stripes or spots in different colors!
The possibilities boggle the mind <3

Actually in one of my stories which will hopefully be posted on Raccoons-Bookshelf.com (Shameless plug for a site with some well written furry stories) I have a minor character who is an albino vixen that dyed a harlequin mask on to her face.

Offline Bai

• Female
    • My Furaffinity
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 08:24:16 am »
Take a look at how Isambaard does it. :D http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4501024/

(By the way, how awesome is this picture??)

Quite, in fact, it was my friend that took it and I was there at the time :P

That's one way of doing it, yeah, but it'd be harder with hats that are meant to cover the whole head, rather than rest on top etc.

Offline Foshling

• Until the end of my stomach's capacity!
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 10:39:19 am »
Meh. Because these are part animals (as in my stories), they have no need for clothes. Their skin is either protected by fur or they have skin that is as tough as leather. Also it would be quite uncomfortable i would say having to put on a pair of clothes with a tail hole because you put your legs in and your tail wont fit or you put your tail in and you knock everything over hopping around to get your legs in.
Strengths:
Very loyal
soft heart
trys to have conversations

weaknesses:
Very loyal
soft heart
trys to have conversations

Offline Scrimno

• 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 10:53:57 am »
As an otter, I'm plantigrade so I can wear regular shoes, but I prefer sandals if any footwear. My ears are small enough that normal hats fit just fine too. Not that I wear them, I always wear my green headband. The only thing I have to get tailored is my shorts because of my massive tail. There's a wide hole for it to go through, and a snap at the waist that helps me put them on.
Join Return of the Werewolf with me! I'm looking for more players! Go to http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,40266.0.html

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 06:09:09 pm »
Hats tend to work pretty well for anthros, depending on the species, and style of hat. I've always been a fan of the Rabbit-Tophat
(Cut the image to safe space)
(Credits to Dave Hopkins, of course.)

(Silverblue isn't his character. ^^; She just got borrowed.)

I don't see much need for too many modifications to clothing for furry use. Tail/ear holes certainly, but not much more than that. My characters go without shoes, so I don't think about that too much.
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 06:12:03 pm »
(Silverblue isn't his character. ^^; She just got borrowed.)

OT: I'm aware  ;). Hopkins uses a lot of characters from other media, but that depiction/drawing of her, was by him, which is why I gave him credit.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 09:21:13 pm »
Hmmm...
Well, I guess large webcomics can illustrate some issues on how authors address the dressing issue.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:48:11 am by Serra Belvoule »

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 06:51:41 am »
in terms of the tail-trouser issue, i personally see most jeans riding just below the tail, so that you could wear any trousers. these would probably ride kinda low though. the idea of a hole would make them a right pain to put on, but what about lagomorphs? surely they'd have to buy completely different trousers in order for their tail to fir through. same could go for a lizard or any kind of reptile with a fairly beefy/meaty tail.

the shoes idea is a bit weird. when i think of most anthros nowadays however, i think of them being completely barepaw. their pads have just godda take it like men! my kinda view of the paws is mid-way towards the human side of things, sorta like this... http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk154/josh_down/drawings%20done%20for%20me/josh.jpg?t=1286966682 ... so i guess a pair of fairly clunky shoes with a bit of a redesign could be crammed over them.

but nope! take it like a man!
just your average self-effacing, herbivorous predator