Author Topic: What does your Fursona mean?  (Read 30732 times)

Offline Corvus Corone

What does your Fursona mean?
« on: March 05, 2009, 01:16:39 pm »
I have heard numerous times throughout this forum and others that a Furry's fursona can change, and some Furries' fursonas change quite frequently.

This implies that Fursona hold some deeper symbolism or meaning for its originator. If it did not, then why change it?

In light of this, what does YOUR Fursona mean to you? What statement is it intended to make about yourself? What are the rest of us supposed to think? What image is it supposed to present? What about those of you who chose a more uncommon fursona (And I mean like a bear or vulture, not a more common animal but with strange coloration or markings)? What made you do so?

How many of you just pick a Fursona because it's your favorite animal?

If you changed your Fursona changed recently, then why? What made you change? How is the new one better than the old one?

Talk about the deeper meaning behind your Fursona here, and if you don't think there is one, then let's dig. Maybe we can find something. Afterall, mankind has a deeper attraction to symbols than it realizes, and maybe your Fursona says something about yourself that not even you knew.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
Re: What does your Fursona mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 01:41:09 pm »
Ooooh, I like this topic. :)

My fursona was first a timber wolf when I first arrived here. I identify with wolves a lot. I love how they are very social creatures and their packs are not always blood relatives but other wolves who they trust and have come to depend on. This is how I am in light of the fact that blood ties mean nothing to me. I judge people on how they treat me. I have lots of blood relatives who I wouldn't trust to deliver my mail for me, but plenty of friends who I would trust with my life.
Also Wolves mate for life and I have always been a beliver in monogamy.

I changed because I saw physical characteristics of other animals that I really liked, and wished to see in my fursona. So I invented the ShroudWolf so I could always maintain my wolf-self, but augment it to suit my personality, which seems to change often.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Traumerei

• Male
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:28:43 pm »
Ohhh, this is fun to think about. My fursona is a complete reflection on my own being. Red pandas are not only my favorite creature on this earth aside from humans themselves, but we share some specific characteristics. Namely, we both love to sleep, work best in colder weather, adore trees, and appreciate Asian cooking  :D. The eyes are told to be a reflection into one's soul, so naturally, my fursona was granted with something mysterious and unique. Of course, I don't like calling myself mysterious in the slightest, but I do have an eye for life's questions (pun intended!) I obviously share a personality with my fursona, but that's not really symbolism. I suppose are some other things, but nothing really comes to mind at the moment.
-

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:19:33 pm »
In my mind, your fursona should be who you are, what you see when you look into a "furry mirror" if you will.  I don't think my fursona carries any metaphorical meaning, it is simply a reflection upon myself. He is the result of me looking inside myself, a version of my personality that seemed to "click" with the real me. Nicholai is like an extension of myself, a vicarious outlet for emotions I don't normally let out.
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 06:53:31 pm »
For me my fursona is a more perfect form of myself, All manerism's and personality traits are the same as my self IRL, the only change is the physical appearance.
I've often wondered what a more perfect being would look like, and I feel that anthro animals are a step further in human development, To take the best from both worlds and combine them together.

My fursona is an Anthro Arctic Fox mainly, but i use kitsune since kitsune is just fox in japanse as well as some of the other elements that go with the mythological version. Like the multi tails for instance, I've often thought about having a different version of myself, a better version, Long before even knowing of the fandom, And one of the things in my mind was having 2 tails, I've actually been thinking of changing my fursona to accommodate this recently.
When i first made my fursona it was just an Anthro Arctic Fox, but I kept finding better things and more about what I truly wanted.

Plus I use my fursona as a reference for what I truly want to become, By what ever means are created first.

but then the whole thing of why do you want to change, is a whole ether issue.

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Pick a number, any number
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:42:54 pm »
My fursona is basically me. Habits, likes and dislikes, height and weight, it's all pretty much me in anthro Raccoon form. Mentally speaking, the only real difference between us is that he has a slightly better work ethic (meaning he actually gets stuff done). I picked a Raccoon for him because I identify most with that species, so my Fursona is basically Me 2.0 (depending on how you look at it. Maybe just 1.5). He means as much to me as I do to me, so he's fairly important. And it just... feels right to me, so I stick with it.

Offline Tevnon

• Male
    • Tevnon's Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:29:16 pm »
It has to do with my spirituality. Wolf is what I morph into when I spiritually morph. That is why it is such a common boring uncreative fursona. I wasn't trying to be creative when I chose it. I was expressing what was already there in spiritual form. Wolf is also my main totem spirit (power animal maybe).

My creative side leans more towards goat which is why my alternate fursuit I'm working on is a goat, but I haven't worked on it much lately.
"I worry less about embarrassment than about missing an opportunity."-Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:33:51 pm »
Why a rabbit? Because I love rabbits, and I've always felt drawn to them. That led to a chain reaction whereby I became obsessed with the book Watership Down, began to role-play as a rabbit in a Watership Down-based RPG club, joined the furry fandom, and used my first RP character as my fursona. :) There was never really a question that I would be any other animal.

For more personal detail, you can take a look at this post I made in another thread. According to the date stamp, I wrote that on the fifth anniversary of my becoming a furry. Did not even realize until just now. ^_^

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 11:40:19 pm »

Offline Edward Vulpes

• Mmm... Fish-shaped volatile organic compounds.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 07:40:58 am »
My own fursona, Edward, is a character that predates my involvement in the Furry Fandom. I have written, or attempted to write, several stories using him, and one would think he would be a self-insert in that regard. I, however, would argue not. He has always been a reflection of me, but a darker, imperfect one. He is the darker, selfish aspects of myself carried forth to their ultimate conclusion. He is what I might have been, fear to be, and wish to be all at once.

The fact that he happens to currently be a fox is a fact that I see vulpine traits in myself and my mannerisms. The fact that he happens to be a hybrid of red and arctic foxes just arises from the fact that I like floofyness.

...well, I can't be serious all the time.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." -Albert Einstein
"Small child, I have fangs and claws. Please let go of my tail." -Moi

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 12:19:04 pm »
The meaning of my Fursona? Well...

Lawrence is literally myself in a much different form that I wish and long for; simply because my body and soul resound with certain things, and wolves are one of them. I can't explain why, despite my nearly year of an attempt (if not longer than that). Just saying the word, seeing one, and describing wolves gives me feelings I don't feel with much else, and I hold that strongly to myself. I don't see it as an issue of me wanting power, nor do I believe it's that I don't like my human body. It simply works for me and is something that would satisfy my soul.

As for Lawrence making a statement.. if anything he's showcasing the exuberant person I could be! I'm actually a horribly shy person and always taking into account other people's needs over my own. I often don't talk since I believe what I have to say is often dumb, off topic, or that no one will understand it. However, online Lawrence has shown I do have the ability to be out there and enjoy it!

In a way, I'm not particularly concerned of what people think of my fursona. What it means to myself greatly overrides what anyone could say about it negatively.

I can't imagine life without having be a human. So I don't believe that I was meant to be a wolf, nor do I wish to ever become a wolf and simply live alone out in the wilderness. I greatly enjoy nature and what it has to offer, but at the same time, I relish technology and the cool nifty things it can do! Also, I couldn't imagine not learning of music and playing the piano, I can't imagine what I'd do if I should ever loose both of those. So my fursona, and what I truly want to be has enough human qualities to work in today's society (Paws with fingers and a thumb, walking on 2 feet [Standing].. I think that's it). Every other physical aspect is that of a wolf: the head, fur, tail, digigrade legs, etc.
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Ratchet

• The urban fox
  • Male
    • astrofox.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 12:28:37 pm »
My fursona is basically me as I would appear as an anthro fox, and as such has my personality and interests et al, basically he's what i would want look like if it was possible to chose to be a furry.

Why did i pick a fox? well that's harder to explain, when i first  became active in the fandom I briefly considered using a red wolf as a fursona, as I'm a bit of a "lone wolf" at times (cause that's the way i roll (: ) and a red wolf is less common in the fandom than a grey one.

In the end I went for a red fox as I have always had a particular affection for them since I was very young and have felt some kind of connection to them, more so than any other animal (though dogs/wolves come in a close second), I don't really know why, possibly because their the only wild canine found in the UK, maybe something deeper, who knows?

I do see some fox like traits in my personality now but whether I'm just noticing them retrospectively is unknown.

Plus there's the fact that their cute  :D

I will most likely never change my fursona (other than possible slight changes to appearance) as I consider the fox to be a "totem" animal.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:30:14 pm by Ratchet »
Is that what the future holds ? Kevlar or cherry wood ? malevolence or good ?
fur code: FCF3adrw A C- D H M- P- R+ T+++ W Z+ Sm+ RLE* a clmu++++ d+ e+ f h* iwf++ j+ p- sm--

My Live Journal: http://astrovulpine.livejournal.com/

Offline Savaaha

• Female
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 01:48:35 am »
I am a zorse(ignore the current bovineness). I picked it not for any spiritual reason(this would make it easy to to change if I wanted) but I picked it because I like horses and added the stripes because in real life I have stripes(its a medical thing). My fursona has my same eye color and hair color as well. Shes me.

my actual fursona

Why am I a cow now? Cus Celta got me hooked on WoW.

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 09:42:17 pm »
Why do you ask? ^.^

Offline Corvus Corone

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 11:48:18 pm »
I was just wondering if you guys' Fursonas had any deep significance to you.

The results were surprisingly positive.

Offline Skazwolf

• Male
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 07:05:07 pm »
My fursona's simply an anthropomorphized version of myfavorite animal. I saw it in a National Geographic article a while back and it's been my fursona ever since. My original fursona was a red fox (creative isn't it?).

I don't think my fursona really has any deep meaning to it, it's just a character I use in the furry fandom, that's about it.

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 08:39:57 pm »
To put it simply, for myself, my fursona is the personification of what I hope to someday be. I strive to follow and have the attitude and strength of my character. Which in turn explains why it changes. As my own goals, wants, and needs evolve, so does the ideal person(or in this case 'furry') that I want to some day be.

Now that's not to say that I hope to some day transform physically into my fursona. If given the chance with the right technology I would, but as is I'm down-to-earth enough to realize that will most likely not be an option in the future.

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 08:45:01 pm »
Wow.  My fursona...

... I didn't have a fursona until about, uh, 3 years ago or so when I was in Brazil.  I already knew of the furry fandom, and I already knew my life was already intricately woven in with the fox (and had known for several years).  I created Alexandre while walking around the streets of Brazil as a missionary when I didn't have anything else to think of (or while doing exercises, or while trying to sleep).  

The whole fursona, initially, was planned out as a way for me to get some of my creative writing/music on the internet, to tell the truth.  I had a whole life planned out for him, which is quite hilarious (I'll have to tell it some time).  I'm generally a funny person, but I wanted to propagate pure humor through him.

However, I started to notice something.  Alexandre quickly became something much larger to me.  He was a mask for a small time, something that didn't quite feel like me.  But after a small amount of time (and various Blast-induced color changes), he morphed into something more than a mask; he was me.  Maybe a different me with pink fur and pointy ears, but he was still me.

That being said, Alexandre and I still have very different stories, but we share a lot in common.  Maybe we're a little more serious on-line or in one-on-one conversations, but we know how to have fun with our friends.  Sure, we're not quite like everyone else, but that's perfectly okay.  :)

I've used the name Alexandre on other forums without using the picture of the fursona.  It feels wrong.
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Aurora

• Math skunk approves of this!!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 06:03:28 am »
My fursona is basically me as I would appear as an anthro fox, and as such has my personality and interests et al, basically he's what i would want look like if it was possible to chose to be a furry.

I'd have to agree, my fursona is basically what i would be if i acctualy was a fur and after seeing some furry art (thats how i found the fandom and eventually this site) i linked most with the fox it might have something to do with the "cunning as a fox" thing (i don't like to blow my own trumpet but i would consider myself as smart) i know that the fox is a really common site in the fandom but all i can say is why not? the're soooo cute and personally i think their tails are some of the bast (exept mabey a bunny's tail, the're really cute)

Sig by Wales's own Baako ^^

previously FurFoxart, now Aurora ^^

Offline HockeyRaven

• Confusing the internet about my gender since 2001
    • HR's FurAffinity
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 07:16:46 pm »
My original fursona was a raven, with no extra species involved. I identified with ravens because I love birds, and ravens are big, smart, sometimes silly birds. Kinda like me. I created HockeyRaven as a furry (well, feathery) version of myself. Same physical characteristics, same bad eyes, same personality, all that stuff.
Shortly after, I decided to add a cougar tail, because I found a Halloween costume cat tail that looked vaguely cougary, and I could wear that around. After a few years (three, I think), I stopped wearing the tail IRL, and soon dropped it from my fursona.
But before dropping the cougar tail, I had made another change: I added hooves. I liked the concept. I didn't have a particular species in mind aside from "deer" at that time.
Then, shortly after dropping the tail, I made the decision that my deer species would be caribou, because then I could have antlers. From a very young age, I had been fascinated with the concept of having antlers.
The biggest change came about last September, when HR changed from being distinctly female to a masculine androgyne/neutrois. This was done because I decided that HR would be used to represent me as I want to be, not me as I currently am. It was around that time when I finally put the clues together and realized, hey, I think I'm transgendered. And it's a lot easier and cheaper to change your fursona than to change your physical self.

Some images of my fursona's change over time:
September 2008, androgyny: http://hockeyraven.deviantart.com/art/Sharp-Dressed-Bird-98430025
January 2008, + caribou - cougar: http://hockeyraven.deviantart.com/art/Caribou-Raven-74203009
August 2007, hooves: http://hockeyraven.deviantart.com/art/HockeyRaven-Hooves-61430936
And a collection of previous versions, all in one handy image, all with plantigrade bird feet: http://hockeyraven.deviantart.com/art/Progression-of-HockeyRaven-38897382
Fruitcake is a legitimate gender in my book.

Offline Corbenik

• Species: White wolf
  • I has ADOS. Attention Deficit-Oo Shiny!
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 10:46:10 pm »
My fursona changed a bit over the past year.  he is now a White Wolf with black paws and dark purple eyes.  The symbol of my fursona is that although he may have a dark appearance, but on the inside, he is soft and compassionate.

Offline Anthro_Inquisitor

• What is feared is not what is evil.
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 01:10:51 am »
My fursona is a representation of every emotion I attempt to control and cease. Its more like who I really am.

IRL I live in a manner that just about every aspect of my natural personality is hidden, its not as if I have something that prevents me its just that I prefer to have very little about who I am revealed. My fursona however is the representation of everything I do have hidden/control.

Most people who only know me by RP are simply shocked when they meet me in person: I'm not the same person at all. By emulating the blocked parts in a second 'self' i'm able to almost completely become a different person IRL.

I think its fascinating personally o.o

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 01:38:42 am »
I think I'm seeing two distinct types of replies here: people whose fursona is an ideal to pursue and people whose fursona is a representation of what is.  The closer you are to the 'ideal' end of the spectrum, the more likely your fursona is to change.

Going into this, I knew that foxes were painfully common in the fandom, but I did my best to find an animal that could represent me and my personality.  There are a striking number of similarities, let me tell you, so I latched onto the red fox.  Sure, I may swap out a few "accessories" over time (for example, I added wings because I thought they represent both my imagination and a simple desire to fly), but I'll always be a fox.  ;)
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Greeblig Venn Aridarr

• No, Cheesoid! That's petrol, not cheese!
  • Female
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 09:19:36 am »
The fox is a reflection of my habits and lifestyle. I am more nocturnal than diurnal. I live close to people, in the urban environment, although I am inherently mistrusting of them and skittish when they approach. I spend my time amongst human habitations, far from the forest and countryside which, in some ways, I would be better suited to. Carelessly darting through traffic, vehicular and human alike; I skulk through alleys and explore dark corners.

I am also less of a pack animal than other canines (and people). I tend to keep few people close to me. I'm more suited to pair-forming than pack-forming.

I chose the Silver fox as I am a bit of a wannabe goth. :P
When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/aridarr/

Searching for someone who will listen to me sing to myself from outside the door without ever letting me know they can hear me...

Offline Keryth

• I challenge you to a battle of knives!
  • Male
    • I challenge you to a battle of knives!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 10:57:15 am »
Geez . . got enough foxes? Mine was an anthro black wolf as symbolization that I had uncertainty of the physical form of my own character, so it was something that you could see, yet at the same time have trouble seeing at all. Now its changed into something odd and more symbolizing, the weird anthro combo of like 10 different animals, kangaroo, weasel, jackal, hyena, ect, with a personality displaying insanity, A personality of my own better personified through. Its has been my own symbol of something that everyone truly wants, freedom.
Its all moved to here: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/keryth/
Ya know, me being here has a inevitable sense of irony since truthfully, I am not a furry.
I challenge you to a battle of knives!