Author Topic: What don't you like about anime?  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
What don't you like about anime?
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:54:40 pm »
Is there a certain anime you don't like for various reasons? What is it that you don't like about it?
* Voice acting?
* Subtitle Translations?
* Badly drawn characters/scenes/art, etc.
* Bad story plot that's hard to follow and makes no sense?
* Something else?

What gripes do you have about anime?

Offline Cchytale Murilega

• Species: Cat
  • Male
Re: What don't you like about anime?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:15:45 pm »
Probably the fact how some of it is like heavily Japanese'd. Only thing I can really think of.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:24:31 pm »
I don't like it when a series is constantly "re-invented" over and over again, and the character backgrounds change, story arcs change, etc.  :P Case in point: Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Or better yet, How about every damn Gundam series.  >:( I can't make heads or tails of the story arcs, history timeline, etc.  :P  :P  :P

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:29:49 pm »
I don't like it when a series is constantly "re-invented" over and over again, and the character backgrounds change, story arcs change, etc.  :P Case in point: Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Or better yet, How about every damn Gundam series.  >:( I can't make heads or tails of the story arcs, history timeline, etc.  :P  :P  :P

when it comes to gundam, its all different timelines, using the basic fighting mech suit premis, with different stories, and world interactions, take G-gundam for example, that is based around a giant fighting tournament between the countries, instead of wars.
then you have the newest series, where celestial bieng organisation, aims to fight all others who with to have wars, trying to bring piece to the world.

they are very different, and occor in different time lines, but using this multiverse style of history, it allows the writters and animators to try new things, while holding onto what made the shows great, giant fighting battle robots.

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »
Sometimes, the art in anime is pretty bad...but this is understandable considering the time constraints that the animators have. 

I don't like when the English voice-overs are too...unnatural.  Sometimes, they just don't fit with the characters at all and it gets pretty distracting.  I also don't like it when the translation skews the meaning of a particular scene or joke. 

Offline Kishi

• *balances ferret plushie on my head*
  • Male
    • Press this to be a stalker.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:58:31 pm »
When animes either spend too much time goofing around before reaching a climax, or when the climax is way too overhyped and ends up being empty and pointless.
"But are you going to kill her off?"
"It's not your decision. I love the character, she stays."
"Yeah, well the only thing love's done is put you in this position; I say kill her off!"
"Yeah, but you say a lot of things... and how does that work? You're a bicycle" Claudio Sanchez, In the song Ten Speed of Gods Blood and Burial, which is basically about a crazy old writer talking to his bicycle.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 02:35:57 am »
I do not care for the slice of life anime. I find it boring.  I'm not keen on Yaoi Yuri and Henttai.

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 05:12:53 pm »
A lot of what I hate is explessed here in this comic from vgcats

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

And the one thing that I realy hate, the craxy idea that mecha/griant robors are than a tank.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:16:30 pm by Avor »

Offline Mylo

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 09:30:10 pm »
A lot of what I hate is explessed here in this comic from vgcats
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

That comic portrays it perfectly! :D  
CENSOR
CENSOR
CENSOR
Has anyone seen "Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series?"

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:12:52 am »

Has anyone seen "Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series?"

Do mean they just duel instead of  spending an episode talking about what card they will play.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:49:08 am by Acton »

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 03:17:20 am »
I dislike seeing a character being represented as practically invincible in one episode and then getting crushed like a paper cup later.
Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 05:53:51 am »
Bad art is a real killer for me, I can't watch an ugly show. Also I've never been big on the mecha series. Robots just don't interest me.

Also, not happy when the english voice actors don't "capture" the characters or they're forced, but that's not a complete ruin since I'm more than happy to watch the subbed versions which I generally prefer anyway.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:32 am »
Bad art is a real killer for me, I can't watch an ugly show. Also I've never been big on the mecha series. Robots just don't interest me.

Also, not happy when the english voice actors don't "capture" the characters or they're forced, but that's not a complete ruin since I'm more than happy to watch the subbed versions which I generally prefer anyway.

But you've got to admit, most dubs are getting better.

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:17:50 am »
Can't say that I've heard any really recent ones, unless you count the Black Butler dubbing which I personally can't stand. I did like the dubbing on Fruits Basket, however.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
Asian stuff in general often makes no sense to me, unless it tries to be fairly realistic. I think there's a lot of things that make sense to them for cultural reasons that just leave me thinking "what? That doesn't explain anything!" so when we get to the part of the plot that explains what's going on, nothing falls into place. For a reversed example of what I mean: suppose you came from a culture with no concept of ghosts or spirits and you watched a horror film about them for the first time, and spent the whole thing wondering what the bloody hell all these semi-transparent people were doing and why. Watching their horror/fantasy/etc. stories often feels like that for me. Not specific to anime exactly, but I rarely watch live action films from Asian countries so it comes up more in anime.

Bad subtitles or dubbing is definitely annoying as well, depending which there is. I think Trigun was the only dubbed show I ever thought was decent (although I did see a Russian dub of an English live-action film once, and it was surprisingly believable - except that I'd seen the English version before. I've always absolutely despised dubs on live action before, but I had nothing else to do so I sat through it and wasn't completely repulsed).

Also, when action scenes feel less like something coherent that's happening and more like an attempt at inducing seizures. I don't mind so much when things just happen quickly, like following a battle in Macross, but just going from one nonsensical blast of colour to the next with a few shots of someone shouting or growling in between is just annoying.

This is similar to the first thing but I don't think it shares that excuse: things that just plain make no sense. If someone is supposed to have superpowers or something, fine, I get that they do unnatural things. If they don't, I'd rather they stay that way. The same goes for objects. I remember one particular scene in Wolfs Rain in the last few episodes where a car they've left near a ledge falls off a cliff when part of the ledge breaks away. Then later on they're driving this same car which they've got back up the cliff... and it's actually become shorter in the impact (length-wise, not height). Like, significantly. And apparently they just picked it up, dusted it off and went on their merry way. Hilarious as it was, it didn't really fit with the seriousness of that part of the story at all. I have to wonder if the person who came up with that had ever even seen a car before.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:04 pm »
Although it doesnt kill anime for me, I dont particularly like how indescribably unrealistic some things are. For instance in Yu-Gi-Oh! There was so much that the character's didn't comprehend for some annoying reason. Like when the main character changed into the Pharaoh guy... NOBODY noticed he got taller, a deeper voice, MORE HAIR, and he now acts like a real boss! Not to mention that he is all of a sudden amazing at dueling. WHAT! Why didnt anyone really notice for so long. I havent watched that show in forever, so it may have changed, but i remember the characters in most anime to be completely oblivious to the obvious and to ask the most retarded questions of which they should have known the answers to already.

I also find it comical how overly dramatic the character's act. Lol... I will draw TWO CARDS! HIYAAAA!!! (Really dramatic music and replay of drawing the cards from several angles) Ya, a little too dramatic for just drawing some spells man.. sorry. :P
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Mylo

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 03:48:41 pm »
Although it doesnt kill anime for me, I dont particularly like how indescribably unrealistic some things are. For instance in Yu-Gi-Oh! There was so much that the character's didn't comprehend for some annoying reason. Like when the main character changed into the Pharaoh guy... NOBODY noticed he got taller, a deeper voice, MORE HAIR, and he now acts like a real boss! Not to mention that he is all of a sudden amazing at dueling. WHAT! Why didnt anyone really notice for so long. I havent watched that show in forever, so it may have changed, but i remember the characters in most anime to be completely oblivious to the obvious and to ask the most retarded questions of which they should have known the answers to already.

I also find it comical how overly dramatic the character's act. Lol... I will draw TWO CARDS! HIYAAAA!!! (Really dramatic music and replay of drawing the cards from several angles) Ya, a little too dramatic for just drawing some spells man.. sorry. :P

Then maybe you will understand the humour in Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, seriously, one of the funniest shows on YouTube. Check em out!

Offline Flyntz

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 11:04:47 pm »
The OP'ed characters they can come up with, and the typical boy/girl who gets it ALL right no matter what.  :P

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 10:17:09 pm »
The goofy animation in many of today's shows, along with the lack of a griping story, for more problems I find read my thread.

Offline SilentCicada

• Species: Monster
  • Male
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 10:34:10 am »
I love anime.  I really do.  Some of it, anyway.  It seems that for every one good anime there are fifty more crud ones.  My gripes?

1. Poor dubs, and in extreme cases, poor subs.
2. Recycled or stolen plots and characters.
3. Piles and piles of horribly done fan art and fan fiction.
4. Not enough episodes or too many episodes.

My biggest complaint?

5. FILLER ARCS. Oh god, the filler arcs.
I make ambient and noise music: http://nickshutter.bandcamp.com/

Weasyl (not adults-only):
https://www.weasyl.com/profile/silentcicada

Offline The Wise one

• Bro
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 10:55:37 pm »
The one thing I sometimes cant get over is the supposed "Innocence" where in most animes some.guys face ends up well. You all know. Accidental groping. Exc. I can normally watch it fine. Its just with other people around watching it with me is the somehow "Embarassing" part.
Check out my Deviantart if you wanna http://kimberlinphotography.deviantart.com/

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 04:14:31 am »
I have mention something that has been annoying me for a while, that  over a decade of anime the male characters, have become more feminine in appearance and physical traits/fetures.

The othe thing I don't like, as mentioned by others, is overpowered characters. I just hate the idea the same way I hate super man, he's poerful that anything he does is meaningless. The only things worse is if that operpowered character is just some arrogant, ignorant, whiney, snot nose brat.

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 06:25:02 pm »

That really only happens with the cheap ones like bleach or blood+ I don't watch any like that, I'm very serious about my anime

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 06:45:47 pm »
H
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:12:42 pm by Aliikaiokai »